Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

This also means the Tories are basically abandoning all of their seats in Remain areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah but unlike Russia I don't think Boris Johnson can move the entire conservative party a thousand miles east and churn out a metal, diesel powered candidate every few hours.

yeah that's what corbyn will do

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Jeremy Corbyn is sexy

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Comrade Fakename posted:

This also means the Tories are basically abandoning all of their seats in Remain areas.

Cummings wants to make this election all about immigration and it’s going to work

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Chuka Umana posted:

Cummings wants to make this election all about immigration and it’s going to work

Learning from the aussies then

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Dunno if this got linked already but it deserves a redo if so because of the strong message: https://mobile.twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1167369049220767745

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Unless they've changed the rules lately I don't think he has the power to follow through on that - the Tories still leave selection entirely in the hands of the local parties.

Even if he did, the main reason that the Tories haven't rebelled (beyond the usual reason) is that almost all of them have constituency parties that are *way* to their right (which is why we have Johnson as PM of course) and they're going to get deselected anyway if they rebel (e.g. Grieve and Boles already have no-confidence votes from their local parties) so it's the emptiest of threats.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

RPZip posted:

Is there a good summary anywhere of developments since the Brexit extension? I stopped following UK news so closely after that and I'm trying to catch up but I have no idea what is happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7pz7CqWTMs

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

That's 80 seats most of which were very, very close (and the Tory voters in them are likely to have been strongly Leave). They only Tory seats where Remain is likely to be an issue are Con/Lib marginals in the London suburbs.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's 80 seats most of which were very, very close (and the Tory voters in them are likely to have been strongly Leave). They only Tory seats where Remain is likely to be an issue are Con/Lib marginals in the London suburbs.

Is there a breakdown of how many MPs actually represent leave areas compared to remain areas?
It kinda felt like the cities had massive remain majorities outside of Birmingham but the actual spread of constituencies didn't really match that.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

Is there a breakdown of how many MPs actually represent leave areas compared to remain areas?
It kinda felt like the cities had massive remain majorities outside of Birmingham but the actual spread of constituencies didn't really match that.

That was the problem, the cities ran the score up but the actual constituency count is something like 400 leave. It's difficult to be exact because the results are by local authority area rather than by constituency.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Cheltenham will probably go back Lib.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Considering that a lot of these moderate Tories are already under threat of deselection by organised hard brexit factions who've co-opted their local Parties or facing vote-splitting Brexit Party candidates, I'm not sure how much force this threat holds over them. If they've already decided their seats are forfeit, this is more likely to push them into open rebellion.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

sebzilla posted:

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1167899080325922818

Just moving this over from last month's thread because loving lol

I liked this one, the dial being in the center is just grand:

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
here's how an election's going to go

labour: hey so we've got a bunch of policies that are gonna fix a lot of lovely living standards and
tories: gently caress you. we're going to keep you poor and if you die it's your fault. also we're gonna do a shitload of racism.
half the UK: racism??? sign me the gently caress up!!!!

infinite tory hell forever

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

imo moderate tories don't have anything much to worry about from BXP in a pre-Brexit Johnson-led GE, outside of ultra-marginals. Few people vote based on the individual candidate anyway, and Johnson is legit ready, willing & able to do a NDB, and you know he's gonna campaign hard on "vote Tory to protect Brexit".

You could probably put a fake moustache on Jean-Claude Juncker & he'd get elected if he had the right colour rosette on.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Borrovan posted:

Few people vote based on the individual candidate anyway, and Johnson is legit ready, willing & able to do a NDB, and you know he's gonna campaign hard on "vote Tory to protect Brexit".

Having the incumbent candidate is usually worth about 5%. Think BxP will do some damage but be underwhelming overall. The new UKIP on every level. They will likely at least lead to some LD gains in the South West.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think a lot of the older Tory contingent are dying off due to it being a chronological amount of time between 2017 and now, so I think more folks will willingly vote Labour. There is also a very odd, but somewhat understandable, impulse to go "Lets get rid of these folks since they didn't fix anything" when a party has been in power for a long time and the Tories have now been the ones in charge for almost a decade.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

I think a lot of the older Tory contingent are dying off due to it being a chronological amount of time between 2017 and now, so I think more folks will willingly vote Labour. There is also a very odd, but somewhat understandable, impulse to go "Lets get rid of these folks since they didn't fix anything" when a party has been in power for a long time and the Tories have now been the ones in charge for almost a decade.

Brexit has infected too many people though and people will vote for the Tories specifically because they actually want no deal brexit.
I often feel like the centrist celebrities on twitter don't really understand the weird....lust for brexit that shitloads of people have.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Gordon Brown is reported to have said the EU will remove the current deadline this week to prevent us crashing out and to stop any accusations of being inflexible. Johnson could still take us out on No Deal, but he wouldn't be able (convincingly) to blame the EU.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That would be very funny if so.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Taear posted:

Brexit has infected too many people though and people will vote for the Tories specifically because they actually want no deal brexit.
I often feel like the centrist celebrities on twitter don't really understand the weird....lust for brexit that shitloads of people have.

Has it though? I'd love to see some data on it tbh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not a fan of all this hope is a lie bollocks honestly.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

BizarroAzrael posted:

Gordon Brown is reported to have said the EU will remove the current deadline this week to prevent us crashing out and to stop any accusations of being inflexible. Johnson could still take us out on No Deal, but he wouldn't be able (convincingly) to blame the EU.

Don't we have to ask for an extension?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

Has it though? I'd love to see some data on it tbh.

I'm not sure where you live but here around Manchester (which was remain, even) every loving person over the age of 60 is all in for it.
The recent survation poll (the one that asked loads of questions about brexit itself) seems to show that people are still broadly in favour of Brexit

Taear fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Sep 1, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

I mean I don't think there's anything stopping them from offering one it's more whether they will or not. It'd be a really funny way to make johnson look like a moron I just dunno if the EU cares about that.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Is the “No deal is better than a bad deal” line going to end up being the worst part of May’s baleful legacy?

It’s insane how a totally marginal view in 2016 (wanting to leave without a deal) has in 3 years become a position held by a sizeable proportion of the electorate, and I think that sound bite deserves at least some of the blame.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I don't think there's anything stopping them from offering one it's more whether they will or not. It'd be a really funny way to make johnson look like a moron I just dunno if the EU cares about that.

Halisnacks posted:

Is the “No deal is better than a bad deal” line going to end up being the worst part of May’s baleful legacy?

It’s insane how a totally marginal view in 2016 (wanting to leave without a deal) has in 3 years become a position held by a sizeable proportion of the electorate, and I think that sound bite deserves at least some of the blame.

It doesn't matter if the EU does that because people don't care about facts. The reason no deal is so favoured now is because people want to leave and are tired of hearing about brexit on what little news they consume and they don't believe that bad things can happen.
I think "Project Fear" is the biggest part of why people don't care - it's been 3 years now and nothing has happened so people think it'll stay that way because they don't understand that things HAVE happened.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When you don't understand what the EU does at all (which if you're voting to leave it, you almost certainly don't) it's not hard to also fail to understand why leaving it might be quite harmful.

It doesn't require an increase in ignorance, basically.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Taear posted:

I'm not sure where you live but here around Manchester (which was remain, even) every loving person over the age of 60 is all in for it.
The recent survation poll (the one that asked loads of questions about brexit itself) seems to show that people are still broadly in favour of Brexit

I think being "broadly in favour" does kind of go up against it when things start getting tough, as they very well may do.

OwlFancier posted:

Not a fan of all this hope is a lie bollocks honestly.

This is a very valid response.

Taear posted:

I think "Project Fear" is the biggest part of why people don't care - it's been 3 years now and nothing has happened so people think it'll stay that way because they don't understand that things HAVE happened.

The problem is that fear can only do so much. It's part of the problem with cynicism when it comes to Politics and a problem with our media landscape.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

When you don't understand what the EU does at all (which if you're voting to leave it, you almost certainly don't) it's not hard to also fail to understand why leaving it might be quite harmful.

It doesn't require an increase in ignorance, basically.

But also because it's been 3 years and nothing has happened yet (because we haven't left yet and also things have gotten worse)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Art 50 TEU, para. 3 posted:

The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.
So it's not like the process requires us asking => them agreeing, but they can't unilaterally extend the period. They can just say "yeh we're all cool with extending it, up to u guys" though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
loving liberals

https://twitter.com/robinmonotti/st...ingawful.com%2F

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellMP/status/1168084059400155136

uhhhhhhhh

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Haha god drat, the tories are so hosed come an election between this, the proroguing and the brexit party being a thing

I think spite will triumph over self interest in the black hearts of the olds

As usual

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, most people that support Brexit simply don't believe that there'll seriously be food & fuel shortages, massive economic disruption etc. The famous but obsure 'they', as in "they wouldn't let any of that actually happen!" Is often quoted here.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

OwlFancier posted:

Though as we're illustrating that's under threat of "you're dead if you leave lol"

That's more of a capitalism problem than an EU problem though.

Domestic abuser analogies with Greece may or may not be warranted, but I see the "you're dead if you leave lol" from the EU to the UK more like an Antarctic research base. The world outside the station is horrible, maybe it's a bit stupid that we're here, but as things stand, if you say you're taking your snowmobile and going home, you're dead. Factual statement, rather than threat.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

uh yeah.

I've already talked a bit about judicial review this week (& honestly I'm not particularly an expert in it, but I know some stuff). Government decisions are subject to challenge through the courts in a way that Acts of Parliament just aren't. If Government specifically defied an Act of Parliament, the courts would have the authority to say "nope, that's illegal, don't do that", and if Government did it anyway they would be in contempt of court, and liable to have the rozzers come round and chuck them in prison for 2 years.

Whether that'd actually happen or not is another question, but that's the law.

e: Like, it wouldn't even be ambiguous, it's not just that the courts technically have the authority to do that, they'd pretty much have to accept any challenge to a decision that contradicts an Act of Parliament, "illegality" is by far the easiest way to succeed in an application for JR. The remedies themselves are discretionary, but c'mon, anything short of an actual Court Order with consequences for noncompliance would be loving pointless. I don't believe that even Johnson et al are stupid enough to voluntarily risk actual criminal consequences, either it's just bluster or they're hoping for political consequences somewhere before an Order gets made that they can leverage into passing the Enabling Act

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Sep 1, 2019

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

I think spite will triumph over self interest in the black hearts of the olds

As usual

It depends, as most things do, as to how many older people are actually able to vote. The fact is that we are just as guilty here of going "They will always vote for Hard Brexit" as a lot of folks are for going "They won't let this happen".

Though I do think it would be interesting to analyse how much people believe in governance as merely a seperated out series of things run by "them" as opposed to a system built by people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Borrovan posted:

uh yeah.

I've already talked a bit about judicial review this week (& honestly I'm not particularly an expert in it, but I know some stuff). Government decisions are subject to challenge through the courts in a way that Acts of Parliament just aren't. If Government specifically defied an Act of Parliament, the courts would have the authority to say "nope, that's illegal, don't do that", and if Government did it anyway they would be in contempt of court, and liable to have the rozzers come round and chuck them in prison for 2 years.

Whether that'd actually happen or not is another question, but that's the law.

If the government goes to prison for 2 years and so are disqualified from being MPs thus cancelling NDB I would probably die of laughter.