Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Borrovan posted:

and if Government did it anyway they would be in contempt of court, and liable to have the rozzers come round and chuck them in prison for 2 years.

Bit of a problem to expect the cops to arrest the government though when it’s the government that controls the cops

loving megalol if the UK goes all Latin America neolib dictatorship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonna need a bigger clock to stuff the entire government in.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
There are no rules, only power and those willing to wield it.

The coppers will never in a million years arrest the government.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not really sure that dom cummies and the idiot squad are particularly personally powerful though. They're literally the bottom of the barrel of tory morons.

Like the government has basically no majority and is running terrified of even the slightest legislative opposition, they're not really doing a very good job of appearing in charge.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Miftan posted:

But also because it's been 3 years and nothing has happened yet (because we haven't left yet and also things have gotten worse)

The biggest thing that's happened - especially if you're retired - is that the cost of stuff has gone up. But people see that as a normal thing, so it doesn't seem to count.
The amount of times I've just heard "Oooh it's project fear again" when ANYTHING is touted as a consequence of no deal brexit is unbelievable.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Taear posted:

The biggest thing that's happened - especially if you're retired - is that the cost of stuff has gone up. But people see that as a normal thing, so it doesn't seem to count.
The amount of times I've just heard "Oooh it's project fear again" when ANYTHING is touted as a consequence of no deal brexit is unbelievable.
Also factories have closed down & poo poo.

& still people call PROJECT FEAR when you say "look at this very real thing that has literally happened in reality"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Borrovan posted:

& still people call PROJECT FEAR when you say "look at this very real thing that has literally happened in reality"

Until it effects them it isn't going to be "real" everything feels dreamlike and unreal and has done for years, because we can increasingly see that the emperor has no clothes on, but because the emperor has stolen our ability to live in anything but empire we have no ability to talk about it other than to comment on it.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Not really sure that dom cummies and the idiot squad are particularly personally powerful though. They're literally the bottom of the barrel of tory morons.

Like the government has basically no majority and is running terrified of even the slightest legislative opposition, they're not really doing a very good job of appearing in charge.

Robert Mueller was going to bring down Trump.

Institutions will never save us, and I genuinely don't understand how anyone thinks the courts or the police are ever going to ride over the hill to rescue us.

I guess it's less that the tories are powerful, and more that no-one will ever take the leap to do anything about their pissing on every line they come across

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Borrovan posted:

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34463597 (Dunno about hotlink but seems to work)

When you've seen everything shut down or be offshored for the last 50 years, someone telling you that more factories have shut down doesn't really come as a surprise or change your world view.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Sep 1, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is a possibility that a majority of parliament will continue to support Johnson even if he literally tells them he's doing what he wants and they don't get a say any more.

But that's not the same thing as the police siding with him personally over parliament, which I think is unlikely.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

RockyB posted:

When you've seen everything shut down for the last 50 years, someone telling you that more factories have shut down doesn't really come as a surprise or change your world view.

Yea. And it's really easy to blame it on immigration or the EU anyway, it's not a new thing.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

RockyB posted:

When you've seen everything shut down for the last 50 years, someone telling you that more factories have shut down doesn't really come as a surprise or change your world view.
Eh, guess so, but seeing the actual real-world people who have lost their jobs because of this farce should be pretty compelling to anyone with a degree of empath-

oh.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Josef bugman posted:

Until it effects them it isn't going to be "real" everything feels dreamlike and unreal and has done for years, because we can increasingly see that the emperor has no clothes on, but because the emperor has stolen our ability to live in anything but empire we have no ability to talk about it other than to comment on it.

Same with everything. If it didn't happen to me or my close family/friends it doesn't happen and you're either lying or you are a scammer/criminal and the government caught you out.

Austerity? Didn't affect me therefore it doesn't happen.

PIP Assessments that fail the disabled? Didn't happen to me, therefore it doesn't happen
(1 very rightwing disabled acquaintance whose PIP assessment went fine - he's articulate, a researcher, and his partner's brother is 'something' in the DWP so of course it did - and thus 'we should be proud the UK gives us this money and those who don't get it are obviously scammers')

etc.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Borrovan posted:

Eh, guess so, but seeing the actual real-world people who have lost their jobs because of this farce should be pretty compelling to anyone with a degree of empath-

oh.

When would you ever see them unless you live near the people affected though?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^ I've seen them on the telly, and I'm a reclusive shut-in nerd

OwlFancier posted:

But that's not the same thing as the police siding with him personally over parliament, which I think is unlikely.
Over the courts, more accurately.

The way it'd have to go down is:-
-Government defies an AoP;
-someone applies for JR;
-the Court accepts the application (no-brainer), and orders Gov't to not do that (discretionary, but c'mon)
-Government defies the order;
-Whichever-ministers are arrested and charged with contempt of court (this is the bit that's up to police and prosecutors, but it's literally their job, and I'm p sure the courts would just order them to so it's their own necks on the line if they don't. No criminal lawyer over here tho)
-A trial happens, wherein all the most expensive lawyers in the land argue that Gov't had totally defied an unambiguous Court Order accidentally in good faith and thus lacked the mens rea or some stupid poo poo, probably getting them off but with an even clearer and less ambiguous order to stop loving around
-If found guilty, sentencing, maximum penalty of 2 years or more usually a slap on the wrist if you're rich & white enough; if not, they've probably got a new order to comply with and would get hosed if they didn't

e: vvv lmao I don't know, I guess Parliament does technically have the authority to pass the Send The Goons Round And gently caress Em Up Act 2019, idk what powers Bercow has without passing an Act tho :shrug:

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 1, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Would it even get to the courts or would bercow get annoyed and send the mace man round?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

This feels like an appropriate subject for the thread. There are plans for a women’s refuge in Edinburgh which is in the process of being highjacked a bunch of NIMBYs because obviously all abused women are junkies and this will attract drug dealers to the area etc etc. It could really use some ‘support’ comments. https://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/idoxpa-web/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=makeComment&keyVal=PVT0Z5EWG9T00

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Borrovan posted:

Over the courts, more accurately.

The way it'd have to go down is:-
-Government defies an AoP;
-someone applies for JR;
-the Court accepts the application (no-brainer), and orders Gov't to not do that (discretionary, but c'mon)
-Government defies the order;
-Whichever-ministers are arrested and charged with contempt of court (this is the bit that's up to police and prosecutors, but it's literally their job, and I'm p sure the courts would just order them to so it's their own necks on the line if they don't. No criminal lawyer over here tho)
-A trial happens, wherein all the most expensive lawyers in the land argue that Gov't had totally defied an unambiguous Court Order accidentally in good faith and thus lacked the mens rea or some stupid poo poo, probably getting them off but with an even clearer and less ambiguous order to stop loving around
-If found guilty, sentencing, maximum penalty of 2 years or more usually a slap on the wrist if you're rich & white enough; if not, they've probably got a new order to comply with and would get hosed if they didn't

e: vvv lmao I don't know, I guess Parliament does technically have the authority to pass the Send The Goons Round And gently caress Em Up Act 2019, idk what powers Bercow has without passing an Act tho :shrug:

Hasn’t the Tory government already defied a whole bunch of court orders with literally no consequence?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

XR were out in force in Manchester over the weekend, shutting down the city by *checks notes* getting a couple of buses rerouted.

Frankly the new bus route worked out better for me, so they managed to achieve less than nothing.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Borrovan posted:

People on the TV aren't real though. You get too many sad images (charities and etc) on the TV. Unless you specifically actually KNOW people affected like Jaeluni Asjil mentioned people just don't give a poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

Hasn’t the Tory government already defied a whole bunch of court orders with literally no consequence?

They've very passively aggressively complied with bercow giving them strongly worded letters to do as he says.

I'm fairly sure that bercow actually outranks Johnson in the context of parliamentary authority and I think he probably would respond to boris actually telling him to get bent by sending the parliamentary polis round, which he personally commands, basically.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Sep 1, 2019

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Pochoclo posted:

No...?

There was a shittonne of non-binding parliamentary resolutions, which is pretty bad in constitutional terms but not straight-up illegal like an Act of Parliament would be

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Sometimes I guess I get confused at how 99.9% of what Parliament does in this country is not legally binding in any way or form

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Taear posted:

People on the TV aren't real though. You get too many sad images (charities and etc) on the TV. Unless you specifically actually KNOW people affected like Jaeluni Asjil mentioned people just don't give a poo poo.

People just ain't no good.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Finally listened to the podcast, good work guys, it was great. I thought it was pretty cruel to transition from the Internationale back into God Save The Queen at the end though, it made me feel dirty.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

People just ain't no good.

I think the problem is the way in which it is difficult to think good things about folks when you don't think good things about yourself alongside a culture that now glorifies callousness in the name of profit and has begun to devour itself. Kindness is considered weird and threatening to so many folks, especially in media, because it is so antithetical to how they got ahead.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Just because I was set to thinking about it with the earlier factories comment, it really is amazing just how much industry we've lost in this country. Taking the little village of ~5,000 I grew up in, since the 70s we've lost a lemonade factory, multiple brickworks, all remnants of the hosiery industry that was built up from the 1840s and plenty of others. There's still a small industrial estate and a couple of plastic extrusion companies, but I'd say people employed locally in light industry has dropped from 50-odd percent to maybe 10.

And all this has been replaced with ... well, commuter suburbs, really.

My personal experience, before I left for the big city to become a member of the hated bourgeoisie, was being fired from my first job at a knitwear factory (as a cleaner) because it was being closed down and offshored to Romania. That would have been around 2008, which looking at it is just after Romania ascended to the EU...

poo poo, am I brexiteer now?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I think the problem is that the service industry is not considered "real work" whilst also not giving actual results that are obvious to people.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

It's more just astonishment at modern capitalism that we can somehow lose all our industry and still somehow be a rich country? That we still get all these imports of the same goods made overseas somehow and send back... nothing? in return. Balance of payments has been negative for ages and by some magic the city of london makes countries still send things here?

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Taear posted:

A bit dated now, but one of the most compelling explanations for this remains the monkeysphere / Dunbar number:

https://www.cracked.com/article_14990_what-monkeysphere.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number

If you kill one man it's murder, kill 100,000 with austerity and it's a statistic etc.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

RockyB posted:

Just because I was set to thinking about it with the earlier factories comment, it really is amazing just how much industry we've lost in this country. Taking the little village of ~5,000 I grew up in, since the 70s we've lost a lemonade factory, multiple brickworks, all remnants of the hosiery industry that was built up from the 1840s and plenty of others. There's still a small industrial estate and a couple of plastic extrusion companies, but I'd say people employed locally in light industry has dropped from 50-odd percent to maybe 10.

It's funny how many people still think a job is a thing you get by just walking into somewhere and handing them a CV.
So much has closed around me I do wonder where the people have actually gone and what they might do now. Not just factories, just....everything.

RockyB posted:

If you kill one man it's murder, kill 100,000 with austerity and it's a statistic etc.

Yea. That's part of the reason why people get mad if you're unhappy at being friends with Tories (and why they're happy to see Jess Philips be friends with Tories). It's too abstract. Unless JRM starts wandering the streets actively shooting people it's not enough.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
2050 - everything is manufactured in China. Retail is replaced by Amazon. The rest of the world just does computer touching, banking, and gastronomy

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It's more just astonishment at modern capitalism that we can somehow lose all our industry and still somehow be a rich country? That we still get all these imports of the same goods made overseas somehow and send back... nothing? in return. Balance of payments has been negative for ages and by some magic the city of london makes countries still send things here?
We send our capital, benevolently creating forced labour opportunities for disadvantaged people overseas whilst giving the British worker more time to spend on his hobbies, like applying for welfare benefits and stealing food from bins :britain:

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 1, 2019

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Borrovan posted:

So it's not like the process requires us asking => them agreeing, but they can't unilaterally extend the period. They can just say "yeh we're all cool with extending it, up to u guys" though
Which to me sounds like the best position they can be in really, from a PR perspective. It's not the EU saying "We've extended the deadline" and Boris going "Don't care!", it's just the EU giving Boris the option of extending it - putting it entirely in his court. Not that it's gonna do much in the UK, but it's probably useful to be able to loudly declare to every EU citizen that the EU never pushed the UK out, and that everything that happened is the fault of Boris/the Brits.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Borrovan posted:

We send our capital, benevolently creating forced labour opportunities for disadvantaged people overseas whilst giving the British worker more time to spend on his hobbies, like applying for welfare benefits and stealing food from bins :britain:

But... what is capital, really? it's not precisely money - it's the things money can buy, tools and materials and all that. And we don't make those anymore, at least in any number. So we send our capital to china so china can buy the things china produces and in return china sends things to the UK?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Taear posted:

It's funny how many people still think a job is a thing you get by just walking into somewhere and handing them a CV.

And so many jobs now you have to apply on line and there's no room for people with a non-linear life, nor, with very specific exceptions, indeed for people with PhDs or masters - instant bin yet the question asks 'what is your highest qualification' and if you fail to mention it and they find out - sackable offence?

RockyB posted:

A bit dated now, but one of the most compelling explanations for this remains the monkeysphere / Dunbar number:

https://www.cracked.com/article_14990_what-monkeysphere.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number

I like that monkeysphere one (haven't read the other one yet). So true about the garbage man.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 1, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as I am aware, the UK sells buildings in London that nobody lives in to Russians who never visit and then sends the money to China and Poland to buy cheap tat and food.

And also people in the UK sell buildings to each other for ever increasing numbers of monies and this generates wealth.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

I think the problem is that the service industry is not considered "real work" whilst also not giving actual results that are obvious to people.

The big secret of the middle class is that most jobs aren't 'real work'. See: Bullshit Jobs, that CEO 55 hour work week chart, the commentariat...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I half-jokingly posted that the Western mainstream approach to our current environmental crisis in 2039 would be celebrating it because it kills foreigners (on the right), and calls for environmentalist intervention on the "left". I can only assume someone saw that post and decided to get ahead of the curve and make environmentalist intervention mainstream right away.

OwlFancier posted:

As far as I am aware, the UK sells buildings in London that nobody lives in to Russians who never visit and then sends the money to China and Poland to buy cheap tat and food.
It's not only Russians. The LEGO family is doing its best to restore the Danelaw, taking over as much of London as possible to extract the wealth of the common Englishmen through landlordism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pochoclo posted:

2050 - everything is manufactured in China. Retail is replaced by Amazon. The rest of the world just does computer touching, banking, and gastronomy

music
movies
microcode
high speed pizza delivery