Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/MattJMyers/status/1168118187965198336

computer show me the least surprising thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

quote:

Mr Corbyn’s past opposition to Nato and the Trident nuclear deterrent and his onetime support for the Venezuelan regime continue to cause concern.

What does this have to do with Corbyn's economic policies that you're claiming to review, you hacks.

quote:

The financial crisis created the opportunity the Corbynites were waiting for.
Yeah, we were loving gagging for a financial crisis. This is a correct conclusion.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
I was reading a guardian article last night about labour proposing a 1% increase in NI to cover care costs, or something like that. All I could picture was Corbyn pointing at carehomes and saying *Nationalised*.

Of course because the article was vaguely positive about labour policy it seems to have disappeared from view by now.

Back to the monkeysphere thing, remember this was written in 2007:

David Wong posted:

If you think about it, our entire society has evolved around the limitations of the Monkeysphere. There is a reason why all of the really phat-rear end nations with the biggest SUV's with the shiniest 22-inch rims all have some kind of representative democracy (where you vote for people to do the governing for you) and all of them are, to some degree, capitalist (where people actually get to buy property and keep some of what they earn).

A representative democracy allows a small group of people to make all of the decisions, while letting us common people feel like we're doing something by going to a polling place every couple of years and pulling a lever that, in reality, has about the same effect as the darkness knob on your toaster. We can simultaneously feel like we're in charge while being contained enough that we can't cause any real monkey mayhem once we fly into one of our screeching, arm-flapping monkey frenzies ("A woman showed her boob at the Super Bowl! We want a boob and football ban immediately!")

The illusion has broken down, now we're all monkies flinging poo poo around.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

FT was urging MPs to back a VONC the other day

e: I don't read the FT, they said so on the radio

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

re: that FT article

quote:

Companies that fail to meet environmental criteria could be delisted from the London Stock Exchange.

Did anybody hear about this? It's an amazing policy!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Miftan posted:

re: that FT article

Did anybody hear about this? It's an amazing policy!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Josef bugman posted:

I think the problem is the way in which it is difficult to think good things about folks when you don't think good things about yourself alongside a culture that now glorifies callousness in the name of profit and has begun to devour itself. Kindness is considered weird and threatening to so many folks, especially in media, because it is so antithetical to how they got ahead.

Yeah.

Sorry, I've not slept for five nights and have had a poo poo week. It's amazing how much mood changes outlook, isn't it? It's almost scary how malleable it is. I'm out shopping and it's packed and I hate everyone around me and hate that I hate them. If I was rested I'd feel the complete opposite.

Even in the depths of misanthropy though I'll never ever compromise on my beliefs tho. gently caress cynics.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Miftan posted:

quote:

The financial crisis created the opportunity the Corbynites were waiting for.

Yeah, we were loving gagging for a financial crisis. This is a correct conclusion.
Absolutely typical Corbynista plotting, using the massive systemic failures of capitalism as some sort of perverted rationale for doing away with capitalism. Just so predictable.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

TACD posted:

Absolutely typical Corbynista plotting, using the massive systemic failures of capitalism as some sort of perverted rationale for doing away with capitalism. Just so predictable.

Almost as predictable as the systemic failures (or successes, I guess, depending on if you're rich or not) of capitalism!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The thing about the capital class is they have enough money to actually be able to make money out of the hardest poo poo brexit and offset any losses. gently caress the poors becoming less poor at the expense of a tiny bit less profit though, even if in the long run it actually means more profit for them because bigger economy and more higher income consumers, that’ll take, like, months, why wait months when I can have it now???

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1168102351670059009
Legislating against No Deal continues to be a really bad idea, because a) it might fail, b) Boris might just ignore it, c) the EU might veto the extension and d) it actually changes nothing since BoJo remains in charge.

Real choice continues to be Corbyn or No Deal, meaning we're heading for No Deal.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Is there anything to stop bojo actually pushing the exit date backwards? Might be their last shot if they think they're going to be kicked out anyway. Wouldn't really make a difference to the degree of chaos and the blaming the mess on remainers/Corbyn strategy.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Is there anything to stop bojo actually pushing the exit date backwards? Might be their last shot if they think they're going to be kicked out anyway. Wouldn't really make a difference to the degree of chaos and the blaming the mess on remainers/Corbyn strategy.

I think any change in date requires EU approval.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Would require approval from the entire EU 27.

People are already suggesting that if BoJo ends up legally required to ask for an extension, he could ask his good friend Orban to veto it so we crash out anyway.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Pochoclo posted:

The thing about the capital class is they have enough money to actually be able to make money out of the hardest poo poo brexit and offset any losses. gently caress the poors becoming less poor at the expense of a tiny bit less profit though, even if in the long run it actually means more profit for them because bigger economy and more higher income consumers, that’ll take, like, months, why wait months when I can have it now???

this is why they want no deal. vulture capitalism pays bank

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Mebh
May 10, 2010

To go back to Discworld chat. As a lad I read Colour of Magic, Light fantastic, Mort, Pyramids and Equal Rites but never any more. I think I got sucked into the endlessly terrible star wars extended universe and it all gets a bit fuzzy after that.

What Discworld book should I read next? I have the entire works of Pratchett on my kobo and feel in the mood.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Mebh posted:

To go back to Discworld chat. As a lad I read Colour of Magic, Light fantastic, Mort, Pyramids and Equal Rites but never any more. I think I got sucked into the endlessly terrible star wars extended universe and it all gets a bit fuzzy after that.

What Discworld book should I read next? I have the entire works of Pratchett on my kobo and feel in the mood.

start the watch series, you want Guards Guards. reading in publishing order is for suckers.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mebh posted:

Guards! Guards! definitely. Introduces the Night Watch, and Vimes, who is one of the best DW characters.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

If you want to skip all that poo poo and go back to Rincewind and Twoflower, check out Interesting Times.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mebh posted:

Depends which parts of Discworld grab you most. If you like the witches thread, Witches Abroad. If you want to make a start on the night watch thread - Guards Guards is the first one in that thread (which leads to Vimes. Can't remember if Sam Vimes makes an appearance in the first one or not). Small Gods if you want another thread.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Personally I really like the Moist Von Lipwig books. So you've got Going Postal, then Making Money, then Raising Steam (which isn't as good as the others)

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Everyone has been telling me forever to read about the nights watch so Guards Guards it is! Rest of my Sunday is sorted!
Cheers!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Small Gods is really fun. I was inspired a few weeks ago to see if I could find either of the two Discworld games online because I enjoyed them as a kid and Eric Idle does Rincewind...Both available as abandonware.
:nice:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Guards! Guards! definitely. Introduces the Night Watch, and Vimes, who is one of the best DW characters.

This was 14 year old me's first Pratchett book and I think it was a good choice.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mebh posted:

Having just finished reading every book in the series for the first time, I would recommend the publication order honestly. Time passes in realish time and it gives some interesting depth to the setting. The books about the city watch are really good, and the later books are certainly better on average.

One of my favorites is Reaper Man, so I would suggest reading Mort and then that if you just want to start somewhere good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Small Gods is an excellent early oneshot. And yeah, Vimes has always been the protagonist of the City Watch books. Also, Night Watch is the peak of the series and everything slowly goes downhill from there. There are still solid books after Night Watch, but you should definitely stop reading when you stop having fun.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 1, 2019

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Having just finished reading every book in the series for the first time, I would recommend the publication order honestly. Time passes in realish time and it gives some interesting depth to the setting. The books about the city watch are really good, and the later books are certainly better on average.

One of my favorites is Reaper Man, so I would suggest reading Mort and then that if you just want to start somewhere good.

I second publication order if you've never read the books before since they give the best introduction to each character

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Read all books that mention Bloody Stupid Johnson.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

RabidWeasel posted:

I second publication order if you've never read the books before since they give the best introduction to each character

Yea I read them in production order when they were new and it definitely works, I think it might get a bit much reading them any other way.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Taear posted:

Yea I read them in production order when they were new and it definitely works, I think it might get a bit much reading them any other way.

There's a lot of one shots and the sub-series are usually self contained progression wise - maybe not with the introduction of new characters but it's usually not that bad. I'd say publication order is probably best unless you want a specific sub-series. Death is usually pretty detached from Ankh Morpork business as well iirc

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It's more just astonishment at modern capitalism that we can somehow lose all our industry and still somehow be a rich country? That we still get all these imports of the same goods made overseas somehow and send back... nothing? in return. Balance of payments has been negative for ages and by some magic the city of london makes countries still send things here?

Your instinct is correct; we can’t. What actually happened was that the owners of the industry offshored it - the businesses didn’t all go bankrupt, they continued and became more profitable than ever, but the people whose lives were improved by having reliable factory jobs stopped being people living in the UK and started being people living in China. Most people left in the UK were indeed poorer, just not the ones in charge.

Jeffrey Winters’s Oligarchy (2012) is a kind of general theory of how since 5000 BC the 0.01% has been loving over everyone else and setting us at each others’ throats and should maybe be added to the OP. It’s as readable as David Graeber, but a lot better researched (DG can be very sloppy).

E: the FT is probably doing a deep dive series on Corbyn because its readership want to know more about him than the BBC and rest of the British press will tell them, now that a Corbyn government looks like a 50/50 possibility. It doesn’t usually do hatchet jobs.

Also re Pratchett, Guards, Guards! is where I and a lot of other people fell in love with the series; Mort is great as well.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 1, 2019

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Miftan posted:

Personally I really like the Moist Von Lipwig books. So you've got Going Postal, then Making Money, then Raising Steam (which isn't as good as the others)

Good books, but they have already predefined characters that were set up in previous books.
Like Golems and Angua, rather read their origins before.

edit: I would read them in publishing order. You get to see Pratchett's style evolving, from more fantasy trope turning on their head at the start, to just normal mind expanding introspectives in later books.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 1, 2019

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Good books, but they have already predefined characters that were set up in previous books.
Like Golems and Angua, rather read their origins before.

edit: I would read them in publishing order. You get to see Pratchett's style evolving, from more fantasy trope turning on their head at the start, to just normal mind expanding introspectives in later books.

Yeah that's fair. I think I read about Angua before I read her introduction book and was very confused about her sense of smell or something.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Beefeater1980 posted:

Your instinct is correct; we can’t. What actually happened was that the owners of the industry offshored it - the businesses didn’t all go bankrupt, they continued and became more profitable than ever, but the people whose lives were improved by having reliable factory jobs stopped being people living in the UK and started being people living in China. Most people left in the UK were indeed poorer, just not the ones in charge.

Jeffrey Winters’s Oligarchy (2012) is a kind of general theory of how since 5000 BC the 0.01% has been loving over everyone else and setting us at each others’ throats and should maybe be added to the OP. It’s as readable as David Graeber, but a lot better researched (DG can be very sloppy).

E: the FT is probably doing a deep dive series on Corbyn because its readership want to know more about him than the BBC and rest of the British press will tell them, now that a Corbyn government looks like a 50/50 possibility. It doesn’t usually do hatchet jobs.

Also re Pratchett, Guards, Guards! is where I and a lot of other people fell in love with the series; Mort is great as well.

Oh good, more books to add to the angry pile.

If anyone needs to grow theirs, I've been reading Crippled by Frances Ryan, which is about the disability cuts since 2010. I'm not normally one for violent thoughts (except when elephants are being harmed), but so far, I am imagining taking a baseball bat to numerous cabinet ministers from the coalition, the Camerition and the TMNT (Theresa May Non-majority Terrortron). And I'm only like 20% of the way through.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

One of the things that blew my mind when I first read Night Watch was that the time period it covers is at most a few years earlier than what was the present day in The Colour of Magic.

Pratchett always maintained that he thought the Patrician that appears in TCOM was an early version of Vetinari, but it makes much more sense if was actually Snapcase instead!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

happyhippy posted:

If you read Colour of Magic and go right to Night Watch it'd be such a whiplash, it's hard to believe it's even the same author. In fact both CoM and LF are extremely, extremely different to anything that comes after.
It must be weird to write some fantasy pastiches and then decide "I want to be a proper author" I guess.

Umbra Dubium posted:

One of the things that blew my mind when I first read Night Watch was that the time period it covers is at most a few years earlier than what was the present day in The Colour of Magic.

I mean the guards in Guards Guards are 90% the same as the ones in Night Watch attitude wise, I think Night Watch only feels so horrifying because of the other books and how it changes. And at least for some of us - because ten years+ of real time elapsed in between which makes it feel so much more real

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Is it weird that my personal favorite of the Watch ones is Feet of Clay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Feinne posted:

Is it weird that my personal favorite of the Watch ones is Feet of Clay?

Nah, feet of clay is great.