Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Convex posted:

So Dominic Cummings is the UK's Stephen Miller now?

he seems to be roleplaying Malcolm Tucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Apropos of nothing an old edition of Top Flight Time Machine reminded me what an absolute loving banger the old Weekend World theme tune was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuLHwF5x8ZM

I suspect this more than anything else is what made me start paying attention to politics.

Have the full version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBysEkQHr2Y

it also took me years to find out that the middle 8 solo section was 'The Parting Glass', and also that this was what was played when my dad's coffin was brought into the church for his funeral because he loving loved this tune

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1169014049390174210

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

:perfect:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

sebzilla posted:

I'm about eight pages behind so if this has been posted already I apologise

tbf, depending on what happens in the next few days, it should really go in next month's OP

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

spiderbot posted:

Just got an email from Jennie Formby saying "With Boris Johnson's disastrous government now without a mandate and a majority, we are very likely to find ourselves with a General Election over the next few weeks." So maybe labour are planning to push for an election now?

not until No Deal has been well and truly pushed off the table

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Chuka Umana posted:

Actually wait wtf is going on? So is Labour going to vote for the October 15th election today if no no deal passes or not?

no no deal can't pass today, so they're not going to vote for the election today

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

When is the vote to make no deal illegal I thought that was the main event

already happened, passed and went to the Lords

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Greetings from Stansted Airport where I am hungry, hungover and incredibly loving tired

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

frumpykvetchbot posted:

have a crumbly scone and some tea, always works.

Had a "bacon butty" from Burger King which was absolute rank. Now just heading to the pub because of course

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

It is lovely and sunny in Poland btw

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I'm in Javorník, Czechia. I've had about 90 minutes sleep. Has the country collapsed in my absence?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Quickest wedding ever, even if everything had to be translated to English

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/parliawint/status/1171186292740243457?s=19

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Just landed back in the UK from Czechia where my brother's speech contained a cracking Brexit joke - "I'd like to thank the government for loving up Brexit and allowing us all to be here today" - and a bit about my dad where almost everyone in my family started to cry. Anyway, I'm now drinking lovely British lager and catching up on everything that's happened since I've been away as I've had no signal, and as best as I can ascertain, it can be determined as "STILL hosed LADS"

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1171513909842366464

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I want a Transformers movie in the style of Bumblebee but with an extended cast and more John Cena

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Dead Goon posted:

No it isn't.

don't worry....

mehall posted:

Apparently it's not!

https://discordapp.com/invite/RgUqEwk

Hey, OP, can this go in the OP next month?

has you covered

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Red Metal posted:

the plural is gandalves

it's gandalfinis

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Having only seen it written online, I was more surprised to find out how it's pronounced. That's some dedication to avoiding an audible butt in your surname.

I think I've mentioned it before but American NFL commentator Ian Eagle pronounces his name as Iron Ee-Agle and it's loving annoying. And on beers, over the weekend in the Czech Republic for my brother's wedding, I had a selection of various local beers all of which were exceptionally strong and tasty

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

If I ever think of Wales, it's of travelling to Cardiff on a school night in 1997 to see Slough Town crash out of the FA Cup first round in a replay in extra time when, again, we should have won (when we also got all of the Cardiff fans moved right to the far end of the stand we were housed in, despite numbering 100 out of a crowd of 2000), 'The Holy Bible' and this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqBgBBr7KYA

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/ItsRykard/status/1172426476848742402

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Slowpoke! posted:

Odds that he sold his image and Trump team bought it and used it legally

Or someone just pulled it off Google image search?

the latter I'd imagine

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

gently caress me bring back crisp chat

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Sanitary Naptime posted:

If it’s not crisp chat, it’s boat chat or loving cyclist chat.

I like the little diversions because they generally only come up when the thread needs the time to cool down a little. except cyclist chat, gently caress cyclist chat

just pretend I've posted that video of the cyclist in London who almost knocks down someone on a pedestrian crossing, gets off his bike then headbutts the person he almost knocked over

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/1173194090965536768

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Not a single mention of Frazzles, hang your heads in shame

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/MarkRuffalo/status/1173273612075376641

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

So Lord Gower and Ian Botham have both not had their contracts renewed at Sky for cricket commentary

https://twitter.com/SkyCricket/status/1173286138091593736

And in the comments, men are not happy that women could potentially take their places in the box going forward

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

Botham's probably have logged on to one of his alt accounts

it's a shame that Gower's gone because he's had two of the funnier moments on commentary in recent memory, first when he screamed on mike when Lloyd ran his foot over with a chair and then on Saturday when he was caught on a hot mic dropping an f-bomb. But Isa Guha's done a few tests for Sky and is in the TMS rotation and she's really good, Alison Mitchell is superb on TMS and BT Sport

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

A friend who I used to work with has just trained to be an ambulance driver for the South Central Ambulance service. Before this, when we worked together, she thought it would be a great idea to take another friend's tramadol for a sore shoulder, came into work and drat near passed out

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

Detroit is actually undergoing a revival, and you would be amazed at the obscene amount of wealth that flows through Metro Detroit

In the hands of the few of course

Flint is the city that needs real help, and fast

Yeah, how long is it since Flint's had clean water, because the fact that no-one's in jail for that is an injustice. But as for Detroit, it's a city built for 2 million people, with a population riding around 600,000 working at around average salary or below. The tax revenue coming in couldn't keep the lights on, hence why it went broke

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

Important to note the city is literally floating an idea at the moment to bulldoze 2/3rds of detroit so that the city government has to maintain less of it.

Oh yeah, when I got a bus from downtown to the airport back in 2011, there were swathes and swathes of abandoned properties and, bizarrely, a very busy biker bar just out of nowhere. That stretch of Jefferson Avenue was very strange. Obviously, that bus route's been scaled back now to not run on Saturday's, which is a shame because $2 to get the 20 miles to the airport is a bargain

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I know that when I worked in McDonalds way back in the day (like 1996-2001 back in the day) the company made us stop taking scottish notes because we were being given so many fakes

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Pochoclo posted:

Wow that's some poo poo

"not literally dying in front of me -> faking it, fit to work"

Are these people even qualified to be assessing mental health?

They can't even change the drums on a printer, despite having handy instructions on the screen of the printer and in the box of drums telling them how to change the drums

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Behold, the worst job spec in the world that I was sent actually sent yesterday:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

u brexit ukip it posted:

Is this a job ad for a printer tech? If so may God have mercy on their souls

Judging by the roles and responsibilities I didn't list, it's printer tech, IT tech and sales all in one role, and for just a smidge more than I'm on right now. I'm waiting for the consultant to call me back so I can basically lol in his face

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Just found TEN packets of Frazzles instead of eight in the multipack I bought, living like a fat king tonight friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

But these seem to have stopped now right? I'd still prefer us to keep ourselves sharp, though with the big blow up that last week could have been (were it not for the Scottish Courts) I might be in disagreement.

I mean why would he? This does seem to be the big thing (that the New Statesman article did not answer) is Why? Why go to all this length?

see jabby's post above. It wouldn't be above Tom to give Kuenssberg a story about himself to make him look good