Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, most people that support Brexit simply don't believe that there'll seriously be food & fuel shortages, massive economic disruption etc. The famous but obsure 'they', as in "they wouldn't let any of that actually happen!" Is often quoted here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I don't get the point of proroguing parliament then? Otherwise Boris could just wait for anti no deal legislation, then demand an election via FTPA to "defend brexit". Proroguing parliament really pisses off his opponents after that, which you'd think would be worse for turnout in an election than the alternative.

The (multiple) points are that it's part of a performance to indicate to the pro-Brexit voting bloc that he's prepared to do anything to achieve Brexit, to pave the way for a general election where the theme is Johnson vs an obstructive Remainer parliament and to push his opponents into the situation where they have to take the actions that would precipitate a general election.

Johnson's clearly taken a leaf out of the Trump handbook in that he sees his way to a majority through riling up the 40% of the electorate who might support him as much as possible and dividing and demoralising everyone else. As nasty and reckless as this is, I can see the logic behind it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, to unify the Brexit vote, Johnson has to go all-out to prove "he really means it", which entails extraordinarily reckless speech and behaviour.

And yes, this does mean that he is taking the same risky path as David Cameron, who found out too late that he was encouraging political forces that weren't ultimately in his control.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
A few weeks in and this administration's leaking like a sieve. Shows how much internal opposition there is to the current direction of things.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I honestly wasn't expecting the Boris project to crash and burn quite this quickly.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Rust Martialis posted:

Italian food in the UK is shite, incidentally.

You just need to find a proper, family run Italian restaurant, rather than the mid-market chains that do the pizza/ pasta/ pesto :effort: stuff.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Russian companies but yes basically

It seems more like some bizarre death wish to me. It really reminds me of the crowds in 1914 rapturously cheering the beginning of WW1 and eagerly lining up at the recruiting offices for the Western Front meatgrinder.

It's a symptom of some deep sickness in our society imo.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Necrothatcher posted:

Meanwhile I'm stuck in Narita airport, Tokyo as there's a typhoon that's stopped all transport in and out indefinitely. It's heaving with sweaty, exhausted and pissed off people.

Is it also far too hot? For some reason, airports have their temperature set like it's a frikking hospital.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Polly Toynbee must've gritted her teeth to powder writing this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/sep/09/boris-johnson-mps-jeremy-corbyn-no-deal-leader-alliance

quote:

It's no use wishing for another leader of the opposition: this is the one Labour has, and in this crisis he is now stepping up to the plate. His leadership of the alliance has been “collegiate”: he is the grownup, while Johnson breaks things. Theresa May lost her 20-point lead in the 2017 election; Johnson’s lead in the polls is about half that. Corbyn’s manifesto back then was highly popular and you can bet it will sell well again. He’s a good campaigner; Johnson may disappoint.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

I didn't even need to look to know that was by Stephen loving Daisley.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

communism bitch posted:

So I know one or two of you enjoy the odd snippets from wok that I post every now and again. I've been dealing with a lot of 17th C papers from the Court of Chivalry lately, and among them are records of cases involving a Katherine de la Haye, who really didn't seem to get on with her neighbour Mr Lydsey.

I just really like the inventiveness of some of the insults, so here are one or two more:

Thank you for reading my post.

It's 17th century Twitter complete with people shrieking that they feel threatened and initiating legal proceedings because somebody said mean things about them.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've sometimes kinda hoped the Daily Mail would do a hit piece on this thread. It'd be funny to see my throwaway posts screenshotted in an article and the publicity would get some fresh faces into the thread.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Private Speech posted:

They lost 1.5bn in 6 months and are up to their ears in debt, it was obvious that the 600m or 900m or whatever rescue offer was at best going to delay things a bit.

Did Thomas Cook do that thing where you sell off all your assets, give the cash to the directors and shareholders, then lease the assets back again on unsustainable rents? That seems to have been a factor in a lot of the 'sudden' company collapses I've seen in the last few years.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Oh good, I'd hate to think he might experience hardship as a result of this :)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Hentai Jihadist posted:

yeah during the new labour days the BBC was pretty hostile to the tories and carried a lot of water for the blair government. though they did try to protect david kelly before blair had him killed

its a state broadcaster like pressTV or RT, or even AJ, you can trust it as long as its not talking about anything of interest to the ruling government

after the tories took over one of Osbornes big wheezes was to basically totally gently caress the BBC and get in all the creepy tabloid fixers, there was even a breif period where the BBC colours got changed to tory blue but that was too on the nose so they changed it back pretty quickly

Yeah, I remember those days: the BBC always (consciously or unconsciously) shifts their editorial line in favour of the currently dominant party. If Corbyn got in with a strong majority, Andrew Marr would be brown-nosing him in no time, before going on to angrily shout down whatever spokesperson the Tory opposition had put up.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Calico Heart posted:

Though I’m sure for most it goes without saying; but leave the comment section of a guardian video along lads

Every single top rated Guardian comment:

"Watching Johnson on the tv last night, I despaired for our politics. However, the Left is just as bad under the leadership of the weak and unreliable Corbyn and his cadre of Leninist bullies. Only I, the Moderate Centrist, am able to rise above the extremism of both Left and Right: unlike these deranged ideologues, MY opinions emerge from a bubble of pure objectivity. Why oh why has the rest of the country gone mad and rejected the sensible status quo??"

Sycophantic follow-up comments:

"Nail. On. Head."

"So, so true! Couldn't have put it better myself."

"Cuts straight through to the core of the matter. One upvote from me."

etc etc etc.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
My company sent a bunch of dudes off to Gambia to do a bunch of well-digging or w/ever.
They seemed to have a good time and I'm sure their intentions were good but yeah, I felt (but didn't say) that it would have been a lot more effective just to calculate the total cost of the trip and then hand that cash over to local dudes that actually know how to lay foundations, build brick walls etc.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

sinky posted:

Lol at £31000 a year for managing a £2Billion program for the House of Saud.

Yeah, especially as reading between the lines of the job description indicates that you'll be dealing with absolutely horrible people on a daily basis.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

They could also be saying that it's OK to say a thing is racist but not to say a person who does repeated racisms is racist.

Also, apparently, the same with lies/liar.

No pattern recognition allowed, apparently.

That's very BBC: establishing patterns of behaviour is fine; drawing conclusions from that pattern of behaviour is not.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I mean, you don't want to be doing anything that might make the pensioners that make up the BBC's audience these days feel uncomfortable: that would kill your legitimacy big-time!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The BBC can't carry on the way it is because increasingly, it's only watched by olds (who don't pay for licenses), paid for by the young, who don't watch any broadcast tv any more.

I say shift it to a subscription service, then we'd see how popular it really is. Supposed Tory bias aside, its news format is so loving dated: it's supposed to inform and educate but generally does neither and I can get the facts on any given issue better just by using the internet.

You can see that the Beeb's tacitly admitted that only old people watch it these days just by looking at the tv schedules: Homes under the hammer, Escape to the Country, the Antiques Roadshow and lots of comfy comedy-dramas set in locations and eras where there's conveniently no scary brown people to be seen.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Is anyone else going to the Easton & Lawrence Hill branch of the Labour Party's AGM tomorrow? I've just moved to the area and feel like I should show my face.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Oh sure, I know, I just think with the looming Brexit chaos, being involved with my local party is kind of sensible. There's likely to be a lot of poo poo going down where the Labour party will be the only national organisation capable of dealing with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Iran's entire military is organised around the assumption that one day, they WILL be attacked by the United States and that they'll need to resist with the forces and resources at their disposal. My non-expert opinion is that Iran would be perfectly capable of fighting the US to a stalemate, while completely loving up all other oil production in the Middle East.