Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Borrovan posted:

and if Government did it anyway they would be in contempt of court, and liable to have the rozzers come round and chuck them in prison for 2 years.

Bit of a problem to expect the cops to arrest the government though when it’s the government that controls the cops

loving megalol if the UK goes all Latin America neolib dictatorship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Borrovan posted:

e: ^^^ I've seen them on the telly, and I'm a reclusive shut-in nerd

Over the courts, more accurately.

The way it'd have to go down is:-
-Government defies an AoP;
-someone applies for JR;
-the Court accepts the application (no-brainer), and orders Gov't to not do that (discretionary, but c'mon)
-Government defies the order;
-Whichever-ministers are arrested and charged with contempt of court (this is the bit that's up to police and prosecutors, but it's literally their job, and I'm p sure the courts would just order them to so it's their own necks on the line if they don't. No criminal lawyer over here tho)
-A trial happens, wherein all the most expensive lawyers in the land argue that Gov't had totally defied an unambiguous Court Order accidentally in good faith and thus lacked the mens rea or some stupid poo poo, probably getting them off but with an even clearer and less ambiguous order to stop loving around
-If found guilty, sentencing, maximum penalty of 2 years or more usually a slap on the wrist if you're rich & white enough; if not, they've probably got a new order to comply with and would get hosed if they didn't

e: vvv lmao I don't know, I guess Parliament does technically have the authority to pass the Send The Goons Round And gently caress Em Up Act 2019, idk what powers Bercow has without passing an Act tho :shrug:

Hasn’t the Tory government already defied a whole bunch of court orders with literally no consequence?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Sometimes I guess I get confused at how 99.9% of what Parliament does in this country is not legally binding in any way or form

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
2050 - everything is manufactured in China. Retail is replaced by Amazon. The rest of the world just does computer touching, banking, and gastronomy

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The thing about the capital class is they have enough money to actually be able to make money out of the hardest poo poo brexit and offset any losses. gently caress the poors becoming less poor at the expense of a tiny bit less profit though, even if in the long run it actually means more profit for them because bigger economy and more higher income consumers, that’ll take, like, months, why wait months when I can have it now???

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Lol raise your hands whoever is actually surprised by this

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Mr Phillby posted:

I don't like to post about personal stuff (or posting that much in general) but I'm kind of involved in a hosed up situation and I can't think of anywher better to get advice.
Long story short I recently came out as gay to my sister. My sister has a work friend who is sort of an aunt figure to a kid who recently came out as bisexual to his family, and his father is being an incredible piece of poo poo about it. Like full on homophobic abuse, basically trying to bully him into being 'normal' and blaming his mother for 'feminizing' him with unmanly skincare.

So thats just an enormously poo poo situation and the kid is understanably not dealing well. And now my sister wants me to come along to an evening at a local boardgame cafe so I can be a counterpoint to the vile poo poo his father's been spewing.

The only problem is I don't feel qualified? I'm so oblivious that I only realized I was gay this year (I'm in my 30s) so I never had to put up with that kind of abuse and even if I had it would never have come from my cool and supportive family.

Basically, how do I help this kid? Like I can pick apart the toxic poo poo and point out how dumb and irrational his father is being, but I can't make it stop, I'm afraid that telling him to push back against his dad might make things worse.

Sounds like a delicate situation, this is just my opinion but I'd involve a professional if possible. Might not be a bad idea to just have a chat though (or just listen to the kid), but I'd say don't do anything you don't feel comfortable doing

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 1, 2019

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

This is the timeline where Bill and Ted fail their history class

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
They're all loving spineless, maybe there will be like 3 tories who were going to be deselected anyway or hated the party and don't give a gently caress, but they'll be offset by the UKIP Trinity in Labour

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I exclusively quote Benny Hill for all my philosophical arguments

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The Little Racist Island That Couldn’t Decide on Anything

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Nuclear Spoon posted:

can someone explain the logic of "legislating to rule out no-deal will make it harder to negotiate with the EU" or is this just some bullshit the tories are repeating over and over again so people begin to think it's true

You’re playing russian roulette in a basement and you get to go first

Suddenly you grab the revolver and palm-slam six bullets into the cylinder instead of just one, point it at your head and exclaim, smiling, that MORE BULLETS = MORE WIN

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Lol it's the first time I've seen Mogg getting everyone hostile on him, usually the Tories ate his poo poo right out his rear end

They're full on knives on each other it's great

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
God he's the sublimation of insufferability for gently caress's sake, being all snobby about some lovely word in a title, like a loving caricature of posh toffs

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Failed Imagineer posted:

What if a Catholic pretender to the throne swooped in to depose Elizabeth, backed by a mercenary army funded from Vatican coffers?

I think it would be p cool

Too late, the vampire nazis already won

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
That was much closer than it had any right to be

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

bump_fn posted:

how will the headlines say this is jezzas fault / boris' win

See if we lived in a completely ridiculous silly world they'd spin it as "R.I.P. DEMOCRACY" or some poo poo like that, imagine haha, good thing we don't!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Hey thread, are there any decent UK left wing online newspapers? New Statesman?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
So what now? How many more votes does the no-deal block need before it becomes True Law(tm)?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
“you great big girl’s blouse” has to be the shittiest possible posh toff oxbridge oval office insult you could ever possibly come up with, and of course it’s also sexist on top of it all

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
If May’s deal passes oh my god lol

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

baka kaba posted:

lol

I'm just an outsider, I don't know all the political in-games, I don't get how things are done here

also can you imagine kicking out... Harriet Harman???? :qq: n-no!

e- 76 years of regret ahead of this mad lad

Well that's one way to never again get a blowjob in life I guess, if you loving hate them for some reason

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
No Recall or Intervention can work in this place

There is no escape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR-K2rUP86M

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Nuclear Spoon posted:

pleased t o report that there is now a twitch stream for Lords also https://www.twitch.tv/uklords?twitch5=0

What a peculiar species, the hellserpent

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Lol this fucko lizardman is so transparently filibustering, he's even cracking up about it

Sounds like my da when he talks about poo poo he has no idea about

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Wow, the tabloids are super butthurt about this, lol

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Guardian's saying that they've agreed to send it back to the commons by 5pm Friday:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...py_to_clipboard

I’m skeptical. What if they’re just doing this so that the idiot blairites in Labour and the libshits pass the election vote and then the Lords just go “lol psyke, filibuster forever now”

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Total Meatlove posted:

You’d host a special commons vote and threaten to bypass them

Is there enough time left for this though? I thought poo poo was super tight

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

baka kaba posted:

hold it right there - toilet police!

Have you got a loicense for that? *wink*

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Vlex posted:

This was five different carbs though. Manioc, bread, rice, potato, pasta, and if you really want to make it six, fried plantain. Anyone can pile up the potatoes, but finding that type of variety to go with a scrap of chicken takes commitment.

I wager we can design The Ultimate Carb Challenge which has all those things plus polenta, pozole, quinoa, fainá (debatable), and what else

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

kustomkarkommando posted:

Those are clearly waxy potatoes not floury ones you heathen ye don't mash those! You clearly have never been privy to a discussion on the progeny of the potato at the dinner table

I knew that different types of potato was a thing before I moved here, but actually seeing such a thing as potato variety in the flesh was a massive culture shock to me.

Back in Argentina you could either get washed and brushed potato, or slightly cheaper same type of potato except all crusted in dirt, also different grades of quality but it was all the same goddamn type of potato

I mean yes technically there was "white potato" and "black potato" and they were slightly different cultivars but they were basically identical in texture and taste

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 5, 2019

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Guavanaut posted:

South Americans don't get nice potatoes because they were dicks to Sir Walter Raleigh when he invented the potato in 1703.

I know, tell me about it, the goddamn ancestral homeland of the potato and you don't get all the fancy various types in the supermarket, mainly because people never gave much of a poo poo

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Boris Johnson goes through one of those nightmares where you're naked and speaking in public and everyone is laughing at you except it's in real life and broadcast all over public television, BUT... BUT bear with me here, bear with me, he called Corbyn a CHICKEN, a CHICKEN loving OWNED for doing exactly what he said he was going to do all along the loving COWARD

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Blasmeister posted:

removing as much time between now and brexit as possible

Too bad Corbyn has Requiem

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I just keep going back to the first thing my father said when he heard Brexit passed the vote, "they'll just keep delaying that forever" and well... I got nothing...

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
So what now, Boris resigns or goes to jail?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
North of the Thames it’s Nando’s country

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Corbyn surprises me daily at how much of a master tactician he is.

Not to knock Corbyn down but I think it’s more that everyone else is so loving bad at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry