Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

This also means the Tories are basically abandoning all of their seats in Remain areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Mebh posted:

So uh. Was the scumm engine discworld point and click based off elements of "Guards! Guards!"?

Yes.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I watched a Let’s Play of the Discworld game a while back and it was very nostalgic as I remembered the opening areas of the game extremely well since I’d desperately wandered around them for hours and hours as a child unable to progress as I couldn’t solve the unbelievably bullshit puzzles. It got less and less nostalgic as it went on and it got further away from the bits I repeated a thousand times and into the bits I only played once a few years later after I got the internet.

But seriously those puzzles are breathtakingly bullshit. Oh, and seeing it now is also entertaining because while you always knew that half the voices were Tony Robinson, now you realise that the other half are a pre-fame Rob Brydon.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Taear posted:

Most puzzle games of that period were bullshit because it was the only way to get their 5 hour (or one hour) game to last longer.
See: everything Sierra made.

You’re right of course, but Discworld takes this phenomenon to unheard of heights. There is literally a puzzle where, in order to get a guy to take off his robe so you can steal it (of course, it is the only black robe in the world), you must catch a butterfly (which is a bullshit task in itself), travel backwards in time, and then release the butterfly at the lamppost where the guy will later stand. Strange waves will emanate from the insect and then the “butterfly effect” causes a localised rainstorm to soak the guy in the future, forcing him to take off the robe to dry it.

I refuse to believe that even a single person solved this puzzle without following a guide or brute forcing the solution by trying every possible possibility in the game.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

I'm reasonably sure at this point that Boris actually wants parliament to stop no deal so he can go into the general election with a betrayed by remainer traitors narrative.

It’s an election he basically wants to lose as well. Or at least have to end up in a coalition with the Lib Dems again. It feels like the Tory-LD coalition is actually the perfect form of government for these cunts - have free range to murder the poor but be able to blame the Liberals for not passing the insane madness their racist base thirsts for. At any rate, an unexpected Tory majority would be a disaster for them just like it was last time.

Unfortunately, it would be a disaster for everyone else too.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

gotta love that we apparently live in one of those failed states where the leader just ignores laws at their convenience

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1168506187303784460

Calling an election for a reasonable date and then sneaking a new date in afterwards would be so insanely undemocratic it would be astonishing. I have a hard time believing that even Johnson would do that.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Vlex posted:

Such a result would imply the SNP taking all but seven seats in Scotland. I wonder which.

I guess the real question is, though, would the LDs genuinely go into coalition with a No-deal Tory government?

While I think many Tory MPs, and probably, secretly, the PM and the Cabinet, would welcome that as an excuse to ditch Brexit, I can only imagine that the Tory membership would go apeshit about it. In this case I imagine we would be leading to yet another election.

So much rides on the hope that Labour could pull out another boost at the election like they did last time. Since the only options will be no-deal Brexit or a Corbyn government, maybe they can.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

He looks seriously rattled by the chanting.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I had dinner tonight with a family friend who described herself as a “natural Tory” but is intending to vote Labour in any election because of Brexit. So it’s working for one person at least.

Oh and I finished watching the Dark Crystal series on Netflix earlier, and recommend it to everyone in this thread. Firstly because it’s generally and genuinely fantastic, but also because it’s an incredibly unsubtle Marxist allegory appropriate for children.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The best (or “best”) thing is that these speeches will be written by 12-year-olds.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

I can't remember, is anything happening to punish her for literally siding with the tories over her own party over and over and over and over again?

She’s quitting the party before the next election. Unfortunately she still has this opportunity to gently caress up.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

If this election goes ahead and the Tories lose, will tomorrow’s PMQs be Johnson’s only one?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Posted this on a discord and someone replied with "BoJo's Brazzers Adventure"

Nice work reading.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

poo poo’s obviously about to go down so I’ve bitten the bullet and have joined the Labour Party. I’m in the Ealing Central and Acton constituency for the OP list. The site crapped out when I pressed the confirm button, but I got an email welcoming me to the party, so I guess it worked. But I need a membership number to access the MyLabour stuff, and the email didn’t include one. Was that on the page that didn’t load, or will it be turning up in an email later?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Reforming the House of Lords is generally not very popular in the House of Commons, so it doesn’t happen. It’s not popular because electing the Lords gives them legitimacy, and therefore more power, power that the Commons would then lose.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Oh my god, that would be so much more humiliating than even just losing the election! I’m just lolling to myself thinking about the fact that this colossal idiot was the overwhelming favourite to win the Tory leadership from well before the contest began. Even the Republicans had to be dragged to the Trump train kicking and screaming.

E: 89 is like a 69 where one participant is too fat and lazy to put any work in. I’m sure there’s a political allegory there.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Junior G-man posted:

The Anime Containment Facility is leaking again.

Wasn’t that how 8chan started?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Is this M O G G W A V E ?

https://twitter.com/politicsjoe_uk/status/1169217444273119235

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

DesperateDan posted:

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1169652168581947392?s=19

The battle between brain worms and brain spiders has reached thrilling heights

Jesus, at least Trump has the excuse that he’s 73. What’s Johnson got?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

happyhippy posted:

He needs to last another 70 something days to not be the shortest ever prime minister.
And its looking that he may be the first to lose all bills ever put forward.

He’ll probably win a bill to call an election eventually. Even if everyone agrees to the election they should VONC him out just for a laugh.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It’s going to be hilarious in a week when Johnson continues his “why won’t Labour support an election?!” line and the answer will be “because you perogued Parliament and we can’t vote on one”.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Thinking Johnson can secure a deal with the EU and then get it passed in Parliament (with his majority that he doesn’t have any more) is a mental illness-level delusion.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

feedmegin posted:

I really loving hope he tries because then Farage isn't going to stand down and it's split right wing vote ahoy. Peterborough byelection times 650.

I mean, are MPs in the “rebel alliance” going to vote for it? Because Boris hasn’t got a majority to do anything anymore.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

It's a shame corbyn is teetotal because if him and ian blackford went for drinks they'd probably end up best buddies and pmqs would own forever more

You picked your side mate, and it was the wrong one.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

That is some shocking British nationalism pal

The SNP not Scotland you weirdo.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Someone mock up that old Sun front page that says “Can the last person to leave the country please turn out the lights?” but instead of “Country” it’s the Conservative Party.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

joedevola posted:

In the last few days I've surprised myself by coming around to a sort of grudging respect for David Cameron. He's every bit as lizard brained and deserving of hatred as any Tory, but now we can see how much work he had to do to keep the mask from slipping.

During the Cameron years he projected a kind of deadening, robotic, corporate competence, which gave the Tories a patina of inevitability. They were raised to rule and they'd be there forever. Especially when you remember how completely hollowed out Labour were under Brown and Miliband. But now we see what an absolute loving clown car the whole organisation has been the entire time.

For me it was the "girly swot" thing and seeing Mogg lounging in parliament like some dissolute, Victorian dope fiend poet. They're children. They're completely stunted and mentally still at boarding school.

I mean gently caress Cameron forever of course, but at least he could do politics without vomiting all over himself.

I don’t know. The Conservative rank-and-file have definitely changed since the 2015 election. This madness was always in their heart, but I don’t think it was Cameron that held it back, it was Brexit that unleashed it. The politicians are simply reflecting this, and to an extent, experience it themselves.

As an example: on another forum I frequent (not as much as I used to) we used to be plagued by this guy called Bruce Everiss. You might have heard of him, he used to be a somewhat notorious figure in the games industry in the 80s, and spent quite a while publicly arguing with Stuart Campbell in his games journo days.

Anyway, the forum was generally left-leaning and Bruce was a Tory. The mods were sticklers for the rules and Bruce was an expert at just skimming under them, so he managed to hang around for ages. He was a down-the-middle Tory, and loved Cameron, thought he was one of the best PMs ever. He criticised Farage and his Tory equivalents as dinosaurs, and thought that Labour were loony lefties even under Blair. Pretty standard stuff, though inevitably there was a tinge of racism occasionally. Eventually he hosed up, got himself permabanned, and everyone was glad to see the back of him.

The Brexit vote came and went, and I wondered what Bruce’s position would be. God knows he had no love for Europe, but as I mentioned he loved Cameron and I thought he probably would have gone with the more visibly mainstream Tory line at the time.

A year or so ago, Bruce came up in conversation on the forum. Someone vaguely wondered what he was up to, and someone else went to go find out. What it turned out had happened was that Bruce had gone full-far-right white nationalist. His insane blog (here, if you dare) is just a miasma of ranting about traitors betraying Brexit, the ultra-left BBC, calling the Tory party “leftist”, great replacement theory, and so on. I believe there was some Identity Evropa stuff on there at one point.

Bruce was a colossal prick, but most people (though thankfully, not this thread) would have considered him to be a pretty reasonable Conservative supporter. But then Brexit opened up the unhinged darkness within him. I think that if the referendum had never happened he almost certainly would have remained his original, still-awful self. And I think he’s fairly representative of a lot of the Tory support at this stage.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 8, 2019

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

lol John Mann resigning from Labour isn’t even on the BBC News front page.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Good morning all.

The next episode of Podcasting Is Praxis is going to be a bit of a focus on the DWP and the hell that has been the effects of Tory policy the last few years.

We’re looking for someone with experience of the move from ESA/JSA or similar to Universal Credit who wishes to talk about their experience.

Don’t worry if you’re concerned in any way about your identity, feel free to use a false name.

If you’re interested and available tomorrow night around half seven for an hour or two, let me know either here or in the discord.

Seems optimistic that the runtime won’t be all taken up by whatever madness happens in politics at the moment. I think you should probably wait until things calm down a bit.

That said, I listened to your second episode (excellent, btw), and on there you threatened a couple of times to do a Toby Young episode. Anyway, I’d like to put my hat in the ring for whenever you get around to that - Toby lives nearby me and literally created his Free School (and arguably the entire free school movement) in order to avoid sending his children to my old secondary (comprehensive) school. Also, I just took delivery of a Blue Yeti microphone, so the sound quality should be okay.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Isn't convention that the party the Speaker is chosen from alternates? So Bercow was a Tory (at the start that is) and Labour are next. Of course convention is out the window now so who knows what will happen.

Seems like it could be a good opportunity for a centrist to get out with dignity though.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It just occurred to me that the Tory conference will be during porogation and will be absolutely F U C K I N G L E G E N D A R Y.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

gently caress off “intriguingly”, I think he meant to write “ludicrously”.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Is it really a castle if you just shove some crenellations on top of your stately home?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

I have to recommend FilmJoy. It's a really positive channel focused on highlighting the great things in films, and very rarely gets negative or talks about broken rules or mistakes.

Mikey seems like a decent guy, but I usually end up regretting watching his videos. He incredibly inarticulate, and frequently treats just talking slowly as inherently meaningful. In his last video he shockingly revealed the astonishing fact that James Bond films are sexist, and then declared he would not watch any new ones in favour of watching things like Killing Eve, which he should of done some googling around.

And anyone who finds Avengers: Infinity War simply too harrowing to handle should consider that the error lies not with the movie but the viewer.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The Lib Dems are backing revocation because they have to. They’ve branded themselves the official party of Remain and if they have the same policy as Labour they have no point to exist.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Sep 11, 2019

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

What will actually happen to Johnson if he doesn’t recall Parliament? I’m assuming nothing. If so this this basically just a PR thing. Not that I don’t appreciate the Tories being humiliated yet again.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

A few years ago for some reason I was talking to my mum about the Spice Girls - and just to be clear she was well aware of who they were from back when they first got big in the 90s - and I discovered that for decades my mother had believed that Posh Spice, Victoria Beckham, was black. Despite my repeated displays of clear photographic evidence, she would not believe she was white until I dug up a picture of her (very gammony) parents on the internet.

She frequently had a weird blind spot in identifying race actually.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

namesake posted:

John Major retaliated though in a bit of a drubbing incident.

The correct sound to describe this is “woooaaaahhhhggh”.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Good Omens TV was pretty good but far too literal an adaptation. It was incredibly obvious that it was a story written in the early 90s. There haven’t been cozy bookshops like Aziraphale’s in Soho for like 20 years. There’s a joke about Jeffery Archer, a man I haven’t thought about in a decade. There’s a joke about Elvis still being alive and working in a diner even though Elvis would be in his 90s by now. A middle-aged man says that in his youth he wanted to make album covers for the Rolling Stones - his “youth” was in the 1980s at the earliest. The stuff with the kids was always meant to be fairly anachronistic but now they’re just completely divorced from how children live their lives these days.

They either should have made it a period piece or properly rewritten the story to reflect the times. I don’t really see the point in slavishly recreating a novel as a TV show, use it as a jumping-off point for new stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

crispix posted:

Does anybody in real life actually use those words tabloids use in their efforts to whip up salacious shock-horror scandals, like fling and romp?

If such a person exists I hope I never encounter them :/

My favourite is “sex session”. Has anyone in real life ever described the sex they’ve had as taking place in a session?