Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Hi UKMT

First off, thanks for all the kind folks from last thread that suggested setting up a GoFundMe or similar for my current financial crisis. You're all lovely people, and the generosity genuinely brought me to tears (several times). Thankfully I had a spot of good fortune and I'm due a tax rebate; thanks to hellworld time dilation I forgot that I was an actual salaried employee for three months last financial year so they've given me all my PAYE tax back.

I'm currently enjoying Tory meltdown. Thread is great when the smell of blue blood is in the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ms Adequate posted:

Ah, someone with true taste in waking hours :v:

Being awake at night is just nicer, somehow. Definitely makes me feel more at ease. Not good for interacting with the outside world, but that's something I only have the energy for a couple of times a week anyway.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I've read the amendments, and I'm not sure if any of them do anything significant.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Guavanaut posted:

May's thrice defeated deal or the cross party one that has a bunch of concessions in it?

Kinnock's amendments all referred to cross party talks in May 2019, so it's the latter I think

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

There's been talk of Tory peers filibustering in the Lords, but apparently it's a non-starter? I don't know enough about the process to understand why it won't work, can anyone help?

e: my good friend's good catte

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 4, 2019

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

bump_fn posted:

late but jess phillips sucks poo poo

It's true, but the core point she was making today is pretty solid, and she looked good and furious with the Tories while she was doing it

Zip! posted:

So what is being voted on right now?

Snap General Election

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Still can't resist smug point scoring over very literal matters of life and death, can they

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bape Culture posted:

When is the vote to make no deal illegal I thought that was the main event

It's in the Lords now, having passed the commons

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I forgot to say how much I liked the first episode. Good chemistry between folks, and god drat the Scottish accent was custom built for talking poo poo about hapless political idiots

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Just cheer up

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

But those people wouldn't have voted for Sanders in the first place. Others will watch, be persuaded, and won't subsequently change their mind.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1170428797805629446

Rats and sinking ships etc

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Captain Fargle posted:

When we have these discussions about rent and stuff it always seems a shame to me that we couldn't get some kind of UKMT housing co-op going.

Yeah, I've often had the same thought. I have a friend who lives in a co-op in Cambridge, and while it comes with its own share of problems they don't really hit the existential level of "my landlord might just decide to evict me"

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The greatest 7 days. Boris just got utterly loving shat on over and over.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

All this ceremony seems especially dumb considering the sheer fuckery of the last week

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bobstar posted:

If you outlaw mint chocolate as well I'll even volunteer to drive old people to the polling station (if they too hate incorrect chocolate).

:hai:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Stealing Dan Olson's opinion here, but Man of Steel feels like the edit was done in the wrong order. Every time it asks a (theoretically) interesting question in flashback, it's after that question has already been answered in the film's present.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Nuclear Spoon posted:

lol no way is he only on 80k

80k+ as in he falls into Labour's proposed top tax bracket

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Borrovan posted:

Yep.

e:

Yep.

What happens in the interim largely depends on (a)what the Court of Session ordered, and (b)politics. I'll try to find the time to look at the judgment later but bear in mind most of what anyone's saying about this is likely to be bullshit.

This is from the summary, not sure if you've seen it:

"The Court will accordingly make an Order declaring that the Prime Minister’s advice to HM the Queen and the prorogation which followed thereon was unlawful and is thus null and of no effect."

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I might have to post my phone-friendly recipe webpage here so I can share my recipes and you can all mock how I measure eggs in grams instead of # of eggs

6 pages ago, but yes please.

My eating is as chaotic as the rest of my life, and meal planning might help with structure.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Well it's not a meal planner but here you go: http://www.nanacide.com/recipes_public.php

I even have some very simple things on there (mashed potato lol) but that's because I'm utterly useless at remembering amounts (and if I free-wheel mashed potato I end up with enough for a large family). Admittedly I'm better now but many of those recipes are from a years and years ago

Cheers!

I'm just trying to collect some frugal recipes that will do fine as leftovers for lunch the next day, so cribbing from any sauce with budget in mind is going to help with that

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Haven't read the last couple of pages, so sorry if i've missed anything, i'll catch up shortly, but here is episode 3!

Podcasting is Praxis Episode 3 - Judged On Your Record

Episode 4 to come tomorrow (because if the lords can stop time, so the gently caress can I, it's still Thursday to me, okay :mad: )

Another really good episode. Necessarily different in tone from the last two, and had me in a genuine state of rage on more than one occasion.

When you see the pieces all laid out like that, it's so obviously another "X industrial complex" where the capitalist imperative to push for cheaper and cheaper labour requires the removal of anything that slows or prevents the race to the bottom.

So loving mad at anyone who supports this poo poo

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Of course you need another pub to go to after the exposure therapy is over, so you don't end up spending the rest of your life talking to the locals about that time you had a panic attack and blacked out on the carpet.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The weird thing about doorstepping (and the bit no one explains to you) is that the important thing isn't what questions you ask them or any conversations in people's minds, but just a physical reminder that the labour party exists and is interested in You, random person #5246. Most people are low-information voters who don't think hard about politics - someone just asking politely on your doorstep if you're going to vote for them is a big reminder and positive point in their favour. It's true CLPs often don't care or make use of those who are unable or unwilling to doorstep properly (as those in CLPs full time often have been doing that), but there's also terrible communication abou

This was absolutely never explained to me, and I've been giving myself extra anxiety over the idea of doorstep confrontations as I ineptly try to convert someone to the Jam Emperor

Strange coincidence, a wobbly lib dem "only Brexit matters" friend, who I've been working on for a while now, has just told me Corbyn's union speech got him 100% on board to vote Labour

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Bad idea unless you like sleeping with a crucifix.

:discourse:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Gasmask posted:

the top reply on the laurak tweet is this for me

https://twitter.com/Mr_W_Carpenter/status/1174294065388642305

yes im sure its because im secretly a brexit tweeter that i see this and not because 98 other accounts have liked it

Doesn't appear on mine. Based on your posting here, the idea of you being fed Twitter for fuckwits comes as no surprise.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Last time I went to Bristol I had a lovely time. Drugs: check. Kissing: check.

I don't remember if it rained.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The shoe wouldn't fit on the other foot, because it's been customised to fit Johnson's cloven hooves

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Criticising people for their appearance (especially when they have odious politics to go after)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

You've all been busy! I've been playing some board games

I got the report from my face to face assessment for PIP today. It's the same paragraph copied and pasted into every section. I'm laughing and crying simultaneously.

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 20, 2019

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Flipswitch posted:

My mum had to have a benefits review thingy recently and her report back was literally just one sentence copy lasted for every answer.

The cheek of it after the stress she got put through is unreal.

E; what board games did you play? I played Giant Killer Robots today.

GKR is fun!

We played Trash Pandas and a strange little Japanese horror game

E: The Paragraph

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 20, 2019

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Next time I have one of these assessments I plan to poo poo myself right there in the office

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The majority of days. Sample? One day. A bit of it.

Approximately 40 minutes

After the assessment, It took me 10 days to get back to what I consider normal for me. I couldn't get out of bed for most of that time. In the week prior to the assessment, I avoided all sources of stress or conflict, and only left my flat once. There is zero consideration of how exceptional the circumstances of the assessment are, or the magnitude of the aftermath.

I came seriously close to giving up over the last week, but this is so dismissive, so low-effort that it's got me ready for a fight again

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

EmptyVessel posted:

fe: There you go, tell them in excruciating detail what you just posted, without the "so low-effort that it's got me ready for a fight again " bit.

This is helpful advice, thanks.

Sorry to hear you had to go through the same thing

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jedit posted:

Yes, there's your problem. You showed them your best day. You need to show them your worst.

For many people who need PIP, on their worst day they don't make it to the assessment. To show them your worst day you have to, at best, exaggerate how you feel at that time. Unless you're a sociopath, that will change the way you behave in the assessment and that will be used against you.

e: catte

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 20, 2019

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

happyhippy posted:

Is Arnie racist for using it in Predator?

No because the Predator is the ultimate liberal, and doesn't see colour.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I went on Twitter for a bit, and I have some advice: don't go anywhere near Twitter

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Sanitary Naptime posted:

This kind of stuff always happens at conference, the media always gawps at it and says “oh my what a terrible way to run a political party” while either intentionally or stupidly leaving out the fact that it’s a democratic institution and the party is supposed to disagree with itself in an open forum to come to a majority consensus.

Not to mention that they've already forgotten about a purge of 21 MPs less than a month ago

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Q: What is Labour's Brexit policy?

A: Second referendum between Labour deal and remain

Q: What would a Labour deal involve?
A: Customs Union, Single Market access, guarantees of workers rights

Owwww my brain, so complicated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Pesmerga posted:

I’m definitely not suggesting that, more thinking that a referendum on ‘stay versus this deal that we made that we’re not quite sure about’ isn’t a great set-up and if you think the AV referendum ads were bad, the ones about the Labour position would be brutal.

So what are you suggesting, exactly? That MPs, or the party as a whole, should commit to a campaign position on a deal that doesn't exist? What if the deal turns out better or worse than expected? No backsies? Because surely the principled position is to acknowledge that the best deal the EU will give us might be worse than we hope for, and MPs should be allowed to campaign based on the best outcome for their constituents.