Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/mojos55/status/1167856496153153537

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/TweetForTheMany/status/1167933941292003328

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

Until it effects them it isn't going to be "real" everything feels dreamlike and unreal and has done for years, because we can increasingly see that the emperor has no clothes on, but because the emperor has stolen our ability to live in anything but empire we have no ability to talk about it other than to comment on it.

Same with everything. If it didn't happen to me or my close family/friends it doesn't happen and you're either lying or you are a scammer/criminal and the government caught you out.

Austerity? Didn't affect me therefore it doesn't happen.

PIP Assessments that fail the disabled? Didn't happen to me, therefore it doesn't happen
(1 very rightwing disabled acquaintance whose PIP assessment went fine - he's articulate, a researcher, and his partner's brother is 'something' in the DWP so of course it did - and thus 'we should be proud the UK gives us this money and those who don't get it are obviously scammers')

etc.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Taear posted:

It's funny how many people still think a job is a thing you get by just walking into somewhere and handing them a CV.

And so many jobs now you have to apply on line and there's no room for people with a non-linear life, nor, with very specific exceptions, indeed for people with PhDs or masters - instant bin yet the question asks 'what is your highest qualification' and if you fail to mention it and they find out - sackable offence?

RockyB posted:

A bit dated now, but one of the most compelling explanations for this remains the monkeysphere / Dunbar number:

https://www.cracked.com/article_14990_what-monkeysphere.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number

If you kill one man it's murder, kill 100,000 with austerity and it's a statistic etc.

I like that monkeysphere one (haven't read the other one yet). So true about the garbage man.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 1, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mebh posted:

To go back to Discworld chat. As a lad I read Colour of Magic, Light fantastic, Mort, Pyramids and Equal Rites but never any more. I think I got sucked into the endlessly terrible star wars extended universe and it all gets a bit fuzzy after that.

What Discworld book should I read next? I have the entire works of Pratchett on my kobo and feel in the mood.

Depends which parts of Discworld grab you most. If you like the witches thread, Witches Abroad. If you want to make a start on the night watch thread - Guards Guards is the first one in that thread (which leads to Vimes. Can't remember if Sam Vimes makes an appearance in the first one or not). Small Gods if you want another thread.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

jaete posted:

There was that thing a while back where parliament wanted some info on internal Facebook tech documents or something, so they sent the parly sergeant dude to some hotel to... subpoena (?) those docs from some random businessman character. I didn't understand much about the legalities but thought it was pretty interesting

Presumably if parliament decrees something to be done, and it isn't, they might find the non-doers in contempt of parliament (if that's what the term is) and then send the mace dude around, at least in theory

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/technology/data/news/100115/mps-send-serjeant-arms-seize-secret-facebook-papers

"A serjeant-at-arms was sent to a London hotel to seize internal Facebook papers as part of parliament’s ongoing fake news inquiry, it has been revealed."

I don't think it was Kamal el Hajji (the big dude). He has apparently stepped down now anyway (retirement).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

I was about to protest but then realised I was thinking about Small Gods, and have forgotten Pyramids entirely, so yeah maybe it's not great

Having lived in Egypt I do appreciate some of the themes of Pyramids very well. I often though Ankh Morpork was modelled on Cairo. (There were guilds of beggars, prostitutes, pickpockets in the 17th century!)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I posted this on reddit's legal advice UK subreddit but I'll repost it here to see what advice I can get.

Hello, I have just moved to a new city and into shared accomodation. I had moved most of my stuff in when I realised the door to my room did not have a lock on it. I have a key to the front and the back doors (which if not actually locked can be opened from the outside without a key).

I did some cursory research, which indicated that houses of multiple occupancy are required to have locks on the rooms, and texted my landlord to request a lock for my room. He said it wasn't possible, as he did not want to be called out for when people lose their keys. I pushed back a bit, stating that from my understanding that it is the law that shared houses have locks on the rooms, and he responded by telling not to "guess the law", that he is a professional landlord, that he does not need this on a Sunday evening, and that if I don't like it he is willing to void the contract and I can find somewhere else.

I've decided to leave it there for now, but wanted to ask you folk, what is the legality of this? Do I have a leg to stand on here?

e: Also this is in England

For context, I am a 30 year old professional, this is not student housing. It is just the room I am renting, I have an en suite but there is a shared kitchen.

If you're sure of the law, can you put your own lock on?
Does landlord live there, if so maybe they are misusing the 'rent a room' rules for tax whereby you can get £7500 rent tax free as long as lodger doesn't have self contained accommodation (which a lock would make it).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

AceClown posted:

Just do that, if his father is a hateful homophobe then do the opposite and just be kind, listen to the kid and don't make any judgements about his dad to his face.

I will say please be careful though goon brother, if his shithead dad finds out he's been hanging about with a 30yr old gay dude that might not end well for yourself.

This ^ ^

I second the 'professional' suggestion. They might know of support groups led by professionals that might be better suited.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Horseshoe theory posted:

Wouldn't chucking out enough rebelling MPs essential cause the Tory/DUP coalition to fall into a minority?

If Tory majority is just 1 then Rory getting the boot would nix it. But does the majority of 1 include the DUP or not? I'm not sure.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gum posted:

It does. The tories lost their majority in 2017

Oh yeah. Sorry I'm being Mrs Dim tonight.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/kentindell/status/1168095832744308736

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Endjinneer posted:

Newly elected MPs are dipped in a special acid bath which destroys their ability to feel any sensation other than pain. After a while they come to crave this last remaining feeling to the extent that taking the whip away becomes a punishment.
MPs will go to alarming lengths to experience suffering ((cf. David Milligan).

Do you mean Stephen Milligan, perchance?

Oh I missed this!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/sex-game-death-tory-mp-13372133

quote:

Fresh suspicions have been raised over the death of a Tory MP found wearing stockings and suspenders with electric cord around his neck and a bag over his head.

Stephen Milligan was found dead in his west London home in February 1994, an investigators promptly ruled that he perished in a sex game gone wrong.

Earlier this week BBC journalist John Simpson suggested Milligan - who was 45 when he died - could have been killed by the KGB.

But a businessman has sensationally suggested that MI5 could be to blame - alleging the MP could have been on the verge of whistleblowing about arms sales to Iraq.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/MannersJack/status/1168504551126773761

At the moment tories + bxp > 80%

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Have the full version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBysEkQHr2Y

it also took me years to find out that the middle 8 solo section was 'The Parting Glass', and also that this was what was played when my dad's coffin was brought into the church for his funeral because he loving loved this tune

Ha was just coming to post this.
Bought one of my brother's this album for his 17th birthday or xmas incredibly many moons ago. He's retiring shortly :D

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I do think there's scope for compelling MPs to use state education, public transport and the NHS and other publicly funded services to go about their lives. (I guess with some exceptions such as MPs from far flung corners being able to fly to and from London instead of 2 days on a train). And some kind of provided mid week 'student residence' (some of those are extremely flash now) for those needing to stay in London during the week.
I think we'd soon see a dramatic improvement in local bus services for one thing.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

£ v $ went under 1.20 for a few hours this morning - lowest rate since 1985.
(Source: xe.com)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

RockyB posted:

Personal bug bear, does anyone else get irritated when they see a 12 hour forex chart with ridiculous axes of less than a cent. Pisses me right off when BBC article do it. If the pound is the lowest against the dollar since 1985, or the last three years, or whatever, show me that context.

Or are the market reports all being written by AIs with no sense of history now.

Edit: every day for about the past 2 weeks there's been a 'pound slides!' article on the BBC. Then you look at the chart and it's €1.10. Which is slightly higher than a couple of weeks back. Just chum and churn and arrrgh stop amplifying the idiotic market traders as a story.

10 year £ $ chart.
I posted the 12 hour one earlier so you could clearly see the dip under 1.20. But here's the overall context for 10 years. Haven't done Euros as $ has been my important context for the last 12 years (given currencies I've been using have been pegged to the $).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

bump_fn posted:

wtf is purdah

Political activity other than immediate campaigning effectively ceases. Eg local CLPs don't meet during the period of time (to do any 'motions' etc activity).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

RottenK posted:

any source on this?

lol if true

https://miss-s-b.dreamwidth.org/2048873.html

quote:

I'm feeling devastated
The powers that be have let Philip Lee in.

A homophobe, a xenophobe, and someone who thinks people should be barred from the country if they are ill.

gently caress this.
gently caress this so hard.

I thought the Lib Dems were not a single issue party.
I thought we had a soul and principles.
But apparently as long as you are on the right side on brexit we'll take you.

Well, I'm sorry, but no.

It doesn't matter if we already have others as bad. You don't make bad things better by adding more bad things. It doesn't matter that he will increase our numbers in parliament by ONE. He thinks me and people like me are a lower class of human. I will not share a party with him.

I know you only get to do this once. I know I am ripping up almost my entire social life here. I know I am causing a lot of people a lot of organisational difficulties. And I'm sorry for all that. But there are some principles I will not compromise.

Sorry.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

teacup posted:

Quick summary of today for an Australian-

1. Why are they in parliament I thought BJ shut parliament in a rather controversial fashion?

2. Can he still just snap call an election for after the 31st of October, thus screwing everything up and forcing a no deal anyway?

3. Did today actually “matter”, aka has it actually changed the odds of no deal not happening anymore?

They went back to Westminster today after their long summer holidays.
The 'prorogation' (contraversial closure) is due to start next week - can't remember which day
I'm not sure about the election bit.
I think today might have changed things because tories are starting to call his bluff and some people (not all) are beginning to see that actually Johnson is a pathetic weakling, not the strong man they thought.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

StarkingBarfish posted:

Thanks! Particle Physics :science:

Congrats and I hope it works out.
I had a research grant from the (presumably now defunct) particle physics and astronomy research council back in the year dot.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry if this is already posted but I'm about 5 pages behind just now:

This picture posted by Reuters:

https://twitter.com/reuterspictures/status/1169009600101781512

Whether it's authentically from tonight I don't know (and she is in different clothes from earlier scenes but that doesn't necessarily mean anything).
Someone in the comments claims it's not from tonight (but I reverse googled and couldn't find it anywhere else)
another claims it's up on the BBC tonight.

(Ed: Yes I realize I was well beaten on this one a couple of pages back).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 4, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/MonarchyUK/status/1168870905587609605?s=20

Ed: 52 weeks in a year. Will we have brexited a year from now or will it be like a bad dream that you're not sure happened?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 4, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/MikeHolden42/status/1169022622635610113

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ojo posted:

I just saw someone on Facebook say that they support Johnson because "he's a down to earth guy!" and my mind is completely blown. How does anyone believe that?

Last thing on FB this afternoon was a friend who claimed to be a lifelong labour supporter, but who is a no dealer, saying he would rather 5 years of Johnson than have a Corbyn government because Corbyn will destroy Britain (hello - is Britain being destroyed as we speak?) Then the claims that deals were an invention of remoaners which I've seen quite a few make.

Another friend contradicted him by posting a link to a Vote Leave document from before the referendum showing quite clearly that Vote Leave were talking about deals before the referendum. Haven't checked the reaction to this yet.

Been far too exciting on here tonight! And a big thanks to those who put themselves through watching the live action and report back because I can't bear to!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pochoclo posted:

Hey thread, are there any decent UK left wing online newspapers? New Statesman?

No. Not consistently.
There are some decent articles in some online newspapers sometimes.
Personally, I find the FT and the Independent best. My card-carrying, tory party member, ultra wealthy relative calls both of those 'very left wing'.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

AceOfFlames posted:

Why are prayers at the top of the list? I thought it was the US that had the religious lunatics.

I have been told by a former MP that it is how you bag your place for the day in the House if you want a seat!
There aren't enough seats for all MPs in a full chamber, so if you want to be there with a seat, you bag a place at prayers.

ed: beaten again.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I find this a bit bizarre - maybe Cummings is a sort of Heat Seaking Missile designed to destroy the tories from inside?

quote:

Mr Cummings’ political affiliations have also been the subject of fevered speculation in Westminster.

On Tuesday the adviser was asked if he was a member of the Conservative Party and refused to answer.

It has taken Cummings two weeks to become everything he hates
The 47-year-old gave a speech in 2017, in which he said “people think, and by the way I think most people are right: ‘The Tory party is run by people who basically don’t care about people like me.’”

“That is what most people in the country have thought about the Tory party for decades. I know a lot of Tory MPs and I am sad to say the public is basically correct,” Mr Cummings added.

“Tory MPs largely do not care about these poorer people. They don’t care about the NHS. And the public has kind of cottoned on to that.”
source: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/dominic-cummings-boris-johnson-brexit-vote-commons-no-deal-downing-street-a9091181.html

And I was idly wondering whether given how unpopular Johnson seems to be with tory MPs whether they voted for him in the leadership election just so they could finish him off once and for all?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Miftan posted:

Even ultra orthodox jews have hot meals on the sabbath. Ya'll wild. (hot plates are apparently allowed as long as you turn them on before the sabbath)

The father of one of my friends was a Chapel minister (Wales) - not sure which denomination - but he wouldn't read Monday newspapers because they would have been made on Sundays.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sloth Life posted:

Clearly I should prep for Brexit more, the moment I spend money it becomes less likely to happen.

Yeah but next time it snows you won't have to run out for bread and milk.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Posted this for the voter registration graphs not the Corbyn bit.

Ed: this graph is either missing a bit or has been mislabelled. Better graph on page 81 from the Graun.

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1169285387065470976

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 4, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Where's the 35-44 band? :(

Good question! I imagine one of the bands is mislabelled.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Graun graph on voter registrations in last 2 days:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/ariehkovler/status/1169535873626583040

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Red Oktober posted:

Ratbiter who may be Nick Cohen.

Can't stand Nick Cohen, but if this is him, thumbs up to "babbling fatberg of dishonesty".
Well even if it isn't him, still thumbs up.

:discourse:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/cathbooth/status/1169601637222162433

Article linked to in the tweet:

https://www.stylist.co.uk/long-reads/boris-johnson-big-girls-blouse-meaning-pmqs-corbyn-sexist-insult-language/294479

Another quote from that:

quote:

I don’t want to revert to anatomical, misandric, childish or bigoted language here. So I will not refer to our current prime minister as a bluster-fuelled egomaniac from whom all human compunction has been drained like the fluid from a blister.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 5, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Dead Goon posted:

Open up Police, woo woo woo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZrAYxWPN6c

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Not UK sorry. Anyway, Mohamed Morsi (former Egypt president who died a couple of months ago) - his 25 year old son died today of a heart attack. Not sure I believe it!
He wasn't in prison (though he has been at some point).
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/05/son-former-egyptian-president-mohamed-morsi-abdullah-dies-25

98= 2 x 7 x 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/DamonMercy/status/1169643932063621122

Apparently the hack was someone called Ben Brown. As I no longer watch BBC News output I have no idea who that is.