Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

There's some good Ash here explaining what's been going on lately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GX0DELlKsM

gotta say I sure appreciate having some knowledgeable leftists in the media who are really good at getting a point across. I dunno how they get on the BBC tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mr Phillby posted:

The only problem is I don't feel qualified? I'm so oblivious that I only realized I was gay this year (I'm in my 30s) so I never had to put up with that kind of abuse and even if I had it would never have come from my cool and supportive family.

Like people have said, a professional (which can just be someone who does counselling in some capacity, not necessarily a therapist or anything) is probably gonna provide the best concrete guidance

But if you think about it, you're both in the same kind of situation - both come out recently, both come to terms with some stuff, it's just this kid is in much worse family circumstances. So you can listen, but you can also both talk about your experiences, how it's going in general, what you're looking forward to in the future

And because you're in a better place, with a bit more life experience, you get to provide a bit of a grounded perspective, let the kid see how things should be and that it's not their fault their dad is flipping out. I think that's probably worthwhile?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

do they need to threaten deselection if MPs have already been publicly threatened with it? sounds a bit good cop bad cop to me

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

The whips have considerately provided a big pile of coats for all the Tory MPs to hide under while it all works out

e- The numeral "8" is sometimes used in informal writing and Internet slang to represent the syllable "ate", as in writing "H8" for "hate", or "congratul8ions" for "congratulations". Avril Lavigne's song "Sk8er Boi" uses this convention in the title.

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 2, 2019

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Welcome, Dan's Subconscious

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Josef bugman posted:

This seems to have been going on for years though. When did the folks who started believing the lies made up to justify greater personal power for the rich really start becoming the folks in charge?

2010!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

he's saying "would be" a lot...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

breaking news: Swinson sucks

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Convex posted:

Wait is the independent group still going? Lol

in the same way that a snowman sticks around for a while when it warms up, yeah

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

sexpig by night posted:

so....what comes after this shitshow?

MPs now have control of the agenda tomorrow, so they're gonna table a bill to block no deal. So there'll be another vote that needs to be won...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

notaspy posted:

This is an interesting point as the EU has said in the past that extensions will only be granted if a resolution is likely to happen by the end of it e.g. the deal passing or a public vote of some kind.

However, as they do not want to be seen as the ones to push The UK over the cliff they will give us an unlimited number of extensions. It also gives them more time to prepare to crash out while we waste time not preparing.

Don't forget the EU were also genuinely surprised that the famously smart and savvy British political class, founders of democracy, turned out to be a bunch of posh entitled dumdums who thought everything would just work out for them, so there might be a bit of a recalibration of expectations going on in the background

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

forkboy84 posted:

He was apparently at a GQ awards dinner & said that he's not going to be allowed to stand in the next election because he's lost the whip. (Technically he could, but it'd be as an independent)

he has a new life now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgGKSjiw0HQ

also nice title :stonklol:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

at the very least "scared Jeremy bundled away in horror" was obvious bs

Jeremy Corbyn fled into a Nandos when the people demanded an election

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

also props to forkboy for the commitment to the Kiryu lifestyle

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1085263638523457537

Ash Crimson posted:

Nah its cool just a heads up

Just sick of this brexit poo poo, sick of false hope.

Like it's affecting my health at this point

you can't do anything about it, and honestly this could drag on a while, who knows what's gonna happen

might as well hope it out and at least get some good times out of it!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ojo posted:

I just saw someone on Facebook say that they support Johnson because "he's a down to earth guy!" and my mind is completely blown. How does anyone believe that?

bozza legerrrrnd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WJuejPFxF0

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

drat I didn't know there was a Twitter: Live! show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWURk8Bo5bY

Ash calling people out left and right, and Jeremy Vine made a face

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

spiderbot posted:

Just got an email from Jennie Formby saying "With Boris Johnson's disastrous government now without a mandate and a majority, we are very likely to find ourselves with a General Election over the next few weeks." So maybe labour are planning to push for an election now?

If the bill passes then bojo is required to ask for and accept an extension, but if there's an election before he actually does it then there's a chance he could win with a majority/coalition and overturn that legislation. (Plus he'd be able to campaign on doing exactly that)

So if they can wait until it's actually done, that's a better time to have a GE

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Wow suddenly we need to ask the people what they want

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Tarnop posted:

e: my good friend's good catte

dare you seize the dragon's hoard??

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Chuka's sitting with the cuks??

Is he back

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'll say one thing for Jess Phillips - this shtick would work well as a video with an "ordinary person" calling out what's happening, because there's a lot of unsaid understanding about what's really going on, and a lot of people aren't gonna have that awareness

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

lol

I'm just an outsider, I don't know all the political in-games, I don't get how things are done here

also can you imagine kicking out... Harriet Harman???? :qq: n-no!

e- 76 years of regret ahead of this mad lad

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 4, 2019

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

not a UK thing, it's from Trump's weather genius meltdown, but this is such a good disclaimer

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1169379991693537280

sinky posted:

And the saboteurs edition

at this point we could probably do a :allbuttons: that no earthly monitor can display

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Morbidly curious to know if Miftan has partaken in the caramac

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ever wanted a can of condensed milk in handy bar form? Well you're in luck buddy!!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

careerist Jeremy Corbyn doesn't care about brexit, he only wants power!!

Jeremy Corbyn doesn't want an election surely that's in his job description it's a deriliction of duty!!!!!!

e- there's a blonde woman coincidentally right in front of boris doing big theatrical nods and head shakes along with what he's saying. That's right Prime Minister!!!

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 5, 2019

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Cop down!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I was just thinking that cop looked like Dina from Superstore before she had to sit down, which Dina would never do

Ratjaculation posted:

I need to make a poster for a grant event, its like being back at uni.

Only I am leaving this job soon for sunnier climes, and I can't remember good colour schemes. Yellow text on red background?

there's loads of colour palette generators online because of ~webdev~
here's one where you can hit space a lot until something looks good
https://coolors.co/efabff-eda2f2-dc6bad-8c7aa9-7192be

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

hold it right there - toilet police!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

can't wait for the new channel 5 Toilet Patrol: On The Front Lines """documentary""" series

this guy's been in the cubicle for 10 minutes now, and Jonno's having none of it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

did anyone post this?

https://twitter.com/VICEUK/status/1169579604232851462

the mob goes wild

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

plus the whole oct 31 #brexitday #surrenderbill #BattleOfBrexit bs is a perfect backdrop for a GE as far as Bojo is concerned - it's ideal for rallying voters who feel like we're in the final stretch, and that there's one last fight to be won. That's why he's so desperate to get it, quickly

get an extension and it just deflates the whole campaign, and acts as more attrition - Leave voters just check out of the whole process, or fall in behind Farage instead since the tories are obviously useless

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Josef bugman posted:

Essentially I am realising a lot of my behaviours are lovely and need to change and I am trying to find out how to do it. Like today at work our boss was telling us how they've changed certain rules related to seating. We are all in a fairly open plan space, but don;t have much time to discuss it as it is more an announcement as we need to do opening up. The problem is that I know it's going to be contentious and I just want it to be over since nothing is going to get resolved in under 20 mins. So I realised I had, quite literally just looked down at my notes, covered my ears and hummed my way through it.

I know what happened and what was going to happen, but even being present in the same room as people getting mad at each other made me essentially try and check right the gently caress out. This isn't normal and I need to change that. Also yeah the seating rules are not all that important, but a lot of people get very cross about it because we are all cross about the organisation in general and want every opportunity to complain. I think that's good, but it doesn't change anything.

Eh, I don't think that's too unusual. Like I'm the kind of person who tries to resolve stuff, in the "yeah it sucks but we need to make the best of it" kind of way, trying to smooth things over instead of letting people talk past each other or get into misunderstandings that just ends up in upset. And if you can do that (or have a go) then great, but if there's nothing you can do then why get dragged into it emotionally? You can't always fix everything or make people see sense, sometimes you gotta check out

I mean it's probably better if you can be present and zen about the whole thing, but honestly you don't owe them that if they're fighting in front of you and making you uncomfortable. And you didn't cause the problem either, so don't feel responsible

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Coohoolin posted:

Ho-leeeee sheeeeeeee-it

Just amazing

Bojo already opened his statement on Tuesday talking about a WW2 anniversary and compared fighting the Nazis to getting brexit through

Then he connected the Amazon and climate catastrophe with Global Britain doing fantastic trade deals (which apparently helps??) so basically there's no shame to go around

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I made quesadillas earlier and they're good and easy, eat those

Junior G-man posted:

Posting the whole piece because it's cool and we should all read more:

The egg is good in that one.

There are some choice dogwhistling quotes in there, Big John effortlessly swatting down gotchas - but is there seriously a City guy called Rich Ricci???

also

quote:

Nandini's
:kimchi:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Tesseraction posted:

Apaprently pfeffel did hint at the backstop becoming standard this morning:

https://twitter.com/GeorgeWParker/status/1171089035902758912

The backstop's permanent though, by definition! There's no unilateral way out of it, that's the whole point. If the UK can just get out of it without agreeing a new arrangement then it's not a backstop even if that's what he's still calling it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

the article isn't interesting but lol

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

Ok gove actually got a fairly good dunk on the SNP lol.

eh not really when he's trying to argue that internal communications and advice should be protected

"there should be a safe space for honest advice, this will have a chilling effect! also when the scottish government argued the same it turned out they were hiding something"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ms Fuchi posted:

Sorry, what are they voting on?

It's this

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1171051645985349633

does the (?) mean he doesn't know what Signal is or something?