Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's 80 seats most of which were very, very close (and the Tory voters in them are likely to have been strongly Leave). They only Tory seats where Remain is likely to be an issue are Con/Lib marginals in the London suburbs.

Is there a breakdown of how many MPs actually represent leave areas compared to remain areas?
It kinda felt like the cities had massive remain majorities outside of Birmingham but the actual spread of constituencies didn't really match that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

I think a lot of the older Tory contingent are dying off due to it being a chronological amount of time between 2017 and now, so I think more folks will willingly vote Labour. There is also a very odd, but somewhat understandable, impulse to go "Lets get rid of these folks since they didn't fix anything" when a party has been in power for a long time and the Tories have now been the ones in charge for almost a decade.

Brexit has infected too many people though and people will vote for the Tories specifically because they actually want no deal brexit.
I often feel like the centrist celebrities on twitter don't really understand the weird....lust for brexit that shitloads of people have.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

Has it though? I'd love to see some data on it tbh.

I'm not sure where you live but here around Manchester (which was remain, even) every loving person over the age of 60 is all in for it.
The recent survation poll (the one that asked loads of questions about brexit itself) seems to show that people are still broadly in favour of Brexit

Taear fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Sep 1, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I don't think there's anything stopping them from offering one it's more whether they will or not. It'd be a really funny way to make johnson look like a moron I just dunno if the EU cares about that.

Halisnacks posted:

Is the “No deal is better than a bad deal” line going to end up being the worst part of May’s baleful legacy?

It’s insane how a totally marginal view in 2016 (wanting to leave without a deal) has in 3 years become a position held by a sizeable proportion of the electorate, and I think that sound bite deserves at least some of the blame.

It doesn't matter if the EU does that because people don't care about facts. The reason no deal is so favoured now is because people want to leave and are tired of hearing about brexit on what little news they consume and they don't believe that bad things can happen.
I think "Project Fear" is the biggest part of why people don't care - it's been 3 years now and nothing has happened so people think it'll stay that way because they don't understand that things HAVE happened.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Miftan posted:

But also because it's been 3 years and nothing has happened yet (because we haven't left yet and also things have gotten worse)

The biggest thing that's happened - especially if you're retired - is that the cost of stuff has gone up. But people see that as a normal thing, so it doesn't seem to count.
The amount of times I've just heard "Oooh it's project fear again" when ANYTHING is touted as a consequence of no deal brexit is unbelievable.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

RockyB posted:

When you've seen everything shut down for the last 50 years, someone telling you that more factories have shut down doesn't really come as a surprise or change your world view.

Yea. And it's really easy to blame it on immigration or the EU anyway, it's not a new thing.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Borrovan posted:

Eh, guess so, but seeing the actual real-world people who have lost their jobs because of this farce should be pretty compelling to anyone with a degree of empath-

oh.

When would you ever see them unless you live near the people affected though?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Borrovan posted:

e: ^^^ I've seen them on the telly, and I'm a reclusive shut-in nerd

People on the TV aren't real though. You get too many sad images (charities and etc) on the TV. Unless you specifically actually KNOW people affected like Jaeluni Asjil mentioned people just don't give a poo poo.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

RockyB posted:

Just because I was set to thinking about it with the earlier factories comment, it really is amazing just how much industry we've lost in this country. Taking the little village of ~5,000 I grew up in, since the 70s we've lost a lemonade factory, multiple brickworks, all remnants of the hosiery industry that was built up from the 1840s and plenty of others. There's still a small industrial estate and a couple of plastic extrusion companies, but I'd say people employed locally in light industry has dropped from 50-odd percent to maybe 10.

It's funny how many people still think a job is a thing you get by just walking into somewhere and handing them a CV.
So much has closed around me I do wonder where the people have actually gone and what they might do now. Not just factories, just....everything.

RockyB posted:

If you kill one man it's murder, kill 100,000 with austerity and it's a statistic etc.

Yea. That's part of the reason why people get mad if you're unhappy at being friends with Tories (and why they're happy to see Jess Philips be friends with Tories). It's too abstract. Unless JRM starts wandering the streets actively shooting people it's not enough.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

I second publication order if you've never read the books before since they give the best introduction to each character

Yea I read them in production order when they were new and it definitely works, I think it might get a bit much reading them any other way.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

happyhippy posted:

edit: I would read them in publishing order. You get to see Pratchett's style evolving, from more fantasy trope turning on their head at the start, to just normal mind expanding introspectives in later books.

If you read Colour of Magic and go right to Night Watch it'd be such a whiplash, it's hard to believe it's even the same author. In fact both CoM and LF are extremely, extremely different to anything that comes after.
It must be weird to write some fantasy pastiches and then decide "I want to be a proper author" I guess.

Umbra Dubium posted:

One of the things that blew my mind when I first read Night Watch was that the time period it covers is at most a few years earlier than what was the present day in The Colour of Magic.

I mean the guards in Guards Guards are 90% the same as the ones in Night Watch attitude wise, I think Night Watch only feels so horrifying because of the other books and how it changes. And at least for some of us - because ten years+ of real time elapsed in between which makes it feel so much more real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

I watched a Let’s Play of the Discworld game a while back and it was very nostalgic as I remembered the opening areas of the game extremely well since I’d desperately wandered around them for hours and hours as a child unable to progress as I couldn’t solve the unbelievably bullshit puzzles. It got less and less nostalgic as it went on and it got further away from the bits I repeated a thousand times and into the bits I only played once a few years later after I got the internet.

But seriously those puzzles are breathtakingly bullshit. Oh, and seeing it now is also entertaining because while you always knew that half the voices were Tony Robinson, now you realise that the other half are a pre-fame Rob Brydon.

Most puzzle games of that period were bullshit because it was the only way to get their 5 hour (or one hour) game to last longer.
See: everything Sierra made.

WhatEvil posted:

It's been a long time since I read any Pratchett but I definitely loved them when I was a teen. I think I read up to about Carpe Jugulum, and then there were only about 2 new ones out and I don't think my library/bookshop had them yet or something?

Something I've not seen people mention is that the more "standalone" stories like Moving Pictures and Pyramids were also very enjoyable IMO.

Pyramids is the only one I'm not a fan of. Everything else has at least some connection to the rest of the world but Pyramids just....doesn't.