Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Mebh posted:

To go back to Discworld chat. As a lad I read Colour of Magic, Light fantastic, Mort, Pyramids and Equal Rites but never any more. I think I got sucked into the endlessly terrible star wars extended universe and it all gets a bit fuzzy after that.

What Discworld book should I read next? I have the entire works of Pratchett on my kobo and feel in the mood.

start the watch series, you want Guards Guards. reading in publishing order is for suckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
carrots magic charisma solves like four books in a row, vimes was never the problem

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Mebh posted:

So uh. Was the scumm engine discworld point and click based off elements of "Guards! Guards!"? Because this is kind of uncanny.

Nice to be reading Pratchett again. I'd really missed how much his general prose just makes me smile.

yes, actually! i believe it was the model/inspiration for that game.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

OwlFancier posted:

Wait did they actually not gently caress it???

Tory crossed the floor??

I went to bed at like 4 and just woke up.

playoff beard rules state you now must sleep through every important vote in parliament.

FizFashizzle posted:

i was randomly watching parliament stuff and corbyn straight up called may's vote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADS_KXk95xg&t=132s

it always feels like someone is finally going to notice the graveyard of ruined political ambition that corbyn seems to mysteriously leave in his wake and treat him like a savvy operator and no one ever loving does. everyone buys the paper's hype and gets blindsided by competency, over and over and over.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

He's probably gona win his seat as an independent lol

I’m astonished he’s still kicked out

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

sean10mm posted:

Unlike in the USA, its conservatives will relentlessly ratfuck each other, which is at least entertaining.

we have sat through a LOT of the tories bending over backwards to prevent so called blue on blue (blue as in the tory color) - pigfucker refused negative campaigning during the brexit referendum for that reason.

this public ratfucking started super late in may's tenure and has only gotten worse, it's great.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the "we never take our seats" party may be taking their seats!

update: they didn't

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
also while it's a fun propoganda exercise to say boris's majority is negative forty odd, the tories he kicked out will vote with him for the foreseeable on the extremely solid basis they'll be let back in next regime change or sooner. and even if they aren't getting let back in they still don't want an election.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

did i miss something

possibly? they are currently faux-conservatives - they have an incentive to keep voting with the party to remain popular with their parliamentary colleagues, which is their base of support. the second there's an election this ambiguity goes away and they are definitely Not Conservatives, and they'll likely have a hell of a struggle to keep their seats anyway.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i also think it was a calculated thing - if you needed to both mass purge your party and have an election you want to do it in that order and ideally as close together as is practically possible. finding a candidate at the last minute sucks but boy howdy does needing to arrange independent financing for an election suck more.

big, swingy and stupid - can't clear parliament? fire a bunch of them against your own interest and tell them to bring it on. strongman 101.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Junior G-man posted:

But ... WHY is this being delivered to the House of Commons? A place where nobody will change their mind and probably won't even find this poo poo funny. What a waste of time and effort.

It's a dumb stunt anyway, but at least do this poo poo in a marginal constituency with a couple of Tory volunteers handing it out to randos.

"some journalist will take a picture and put it on twitter and then it will go viral! social media manager is so a real job,"

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

when you brexit but he still leaving

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

The_Doctor posted:

So is that it? Brexit now held off till Jan 31st?

boris needs to actually ask for the extension, and the eu has to give it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's like three Taco Bells in Britain and one of the them is (was?) in the Manchester Arndale food court. Unfortunately they don't serve the insane sorts of things you get from American Taco Bells which are IMO the entire reason to eat at a Taco Bell and not at a hole-in-the-wall Mexican food place run by undocumented immigrants.

The UK just can't do Mexican food. There's a place called Wahaca, for poo poo's sake. It's spelled Oaxaca, pendejos.

it's adorable - in the north they pronounce "jalapeno" like "jalopy" - i seriously thought someone was loving with me the first time i heard it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

marktheando posted:

I thought Tim Horton was a Canadian thing.

it was, i want to say it got bought out by an american company? tims doesn't penetrate far into dunkin territory in the northern US anyway.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Sloth Life posted:

I know I'm a lurker and don't have any right to make demands, nevertheless AOF is not going to be swayed by anyone outside of themselves. It's pointless and just feeds into their worldview.

they don't even live here, i honestly think they're just attracted to the thread that's currently most catastrophizing, i'm not sure why AoF hung about.

not that i'm complaining mind, none of our brains work right.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Ms Adequate posted:

Owen Jones rting reports that John Mann's jumped ship to sabotage Labour in the runup to the election:

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1170415599421403136

e; 123 is a number composed of three consecutively ascending integers, those being 1, 2, and 3.

yeah that dude jumping before he's pushed.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

now that's interesting - i don't think farage wants any of this poo poo, he wants to be able to say he's tried and more unlimited meal ticket. i don't think this is enough to hold labour back.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's come up a few times - i mean the problem is it's like running a poll with the question "if corbyn gets in and immediately sells the NHS to american healthcare interests, how would you vote?". right now the johnson administration has hitched it's entire wagon to that date, it might shift come closer if they manage to play it right,

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

suck my woke dick posted:

the point of lockpicking isn't getting through doors you can't destroy (there are very few doors you can't destroy), it's to get through doors without making enough noise to attract witnesses or leaving a conspicuous pile of door debris

you could probably get away with one hammer swing under the guise of pretending to knock if you were canny

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Ms Fuchi posted:

Would the LibDems really go into a coalition with the Tories? It seems like a weird look to join a coalition with the people you just rebelled against

going into coalition with the tories is their entire raison d'être

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Barry Foster posted:

Is GHB/GBL more addictive than alcohol? I've always understood it to be something like a fairly plausible GABAergic replacement for booze. So long as you're very careful with dosage and use it responsibly.

I suppose the last sentence is the problem though.

it is waaaaay more euphoric and short lasting than booze, users call it liquid e for a reason.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

OwlFancier posted:

Right side of the house looking a lot fuller than the left.

twas ever thus

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
tower's gonna be pretty full up at this rate

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Gasmask posted:

She’s alright. Thread doesn’t like her because she criticises the dear leader.

lmao

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
gwarsh! it's my first day of uk politics, having been born yesterday, and boy howdy do i think this "jess phillips" is a firecracker.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
gee it's harder to do my insightful political analysis since that donkey kicked me in the head all those times. basically all i can do is poo poo myself, as demonstrated by my posting - but never mind that, here's why jess phillips is great

1) she makes the good words. working class? tea and builders.
b) lefty loons!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Gasmask posted:

haha calm down

haha make a single good post

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Gasmask posted:

you seem really cross about jess phillips, mate

you seem really bad at posting, bud!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Gasmask posted:

'seem'???

you seem to be struggling to construct a joke, may I suggest asking your parents for advice?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Gasmask posted:

ok you guys have convinced me

what did it? a particularly well jangled set of keys?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Gasmask posted:

no it was your wit and charm mainly

well, thank you! i work very hard on my great posts and it's nice to be appreciated. i don't think people say it enough, you know?

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is embarrassing lads, please just look at Amy Adams and shut up

absolument pas

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the Lindsey Elliot hobbit eps are some of my personal faves

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

happyhippy posted:

Why? I thought they were brilliant.
She goes more into how Warner Brothers hosed things up than the movie itself

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah anyone with a passing interest should watch them, if just for the examination on how badly Peter Jackson hosed New Zealand's film industry workers over.

hell yeah

I haven’t watched her entire back catalog - I think she used to be the nostalgia chick? but the hobbit vids are where she gets the most political. good stuff.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Tsaedje posted:

Meanwhile No 10 has rejected the idea of an electoral pact with Farage, which is nice of them. Pretty much guarantees they'll be eaten from both sides when the election comes.
no loving chance. they’re being demure, this is too obvious to not happen.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Rarity posted:

August thread, innit

Google says 1 day

To accurately reflect the current crisis the UKMT power rankings is CoolCab at #10 below a giant clusterfuck

I’m the greatest, I think?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Rarity posted:

This is a Guardian-level misrepresentation of facts

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Guavanaut posted:

I always thought the joke was that it was just a rock.

Like they creatively go on about what it's made of and the dwarven bakers and the properties (the main one being that you take it out of your pocket when you're hungry, think about eating it, then put it back, the other being you can throw it at people) and it's implied but never stated to be a bread made of rock, but it would just as well apply to a rock you just found.

nah, this comes up in the fifth elephant, it's definitely some sort of bread. probably a fair bit of rocks in, but still fundamentally bread.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i'll say it again - i think a bxp con electoral alliance is basically a lock. if they can't do it in public, it will be a backroom thing - weaker candidates instead of straight up not standing eg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Paperhouse posted:

For a real post though, does the Scottish court ruling that the prorogation is unlawful have any effect whatsoever? Forgive me I have not read the 700 posts since I last read the thread

My strong inkling is that it doesnt mean anything and probably looks bad for Corbyn

who the gently caress knows. it looks like the establishment is pushing for the Supreme Court to call it, probably to kill time. some mps and people have said parliament is technically open but it’s more protest than reality, at least right this second.