Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Bowsette?
This poll is closed.
Yes 70 39.11%
no 28 15.64%
maybe? 15 8.38%
Yes I'm phoning this one in. 66 36.87%
Total: 179 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Civilization VI a good one to start with if I haven't played one (and is the Switch version good because my pc can not play games)
6 is fine, idk about the switch version. most civ fans will steer you otherwise because it always takes years of expansions and patches to bring them to the level of the previous game and 6 isn't there yet (and the switch version is still an expansion behind) and will probably never be as good as 4 anyway. but those are all in comparison to other games so you won't care, and 6 is okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/spicycate/status/1178691553562374146?s=20

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Metroid: Goose-Egg Mission

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

6 is fine, idk about the switch version. most civ fans will steer you otherwise because it always takes years of expansions and patches to bring them to the level of the previous game and 6 isn't there yet (and the switch version is still an expansion behind) and will probably never be as good as 4 anyway. but those are all in comparison to other games so you won't care, and 6 is okay

Yeah I guess as long as it's still fun I don't mind if it's a little worse than previous versions since I don't know anything about them

I was gonna wait for the PS4 version because I thought it came with extra expansions or something but apparently the Switch one has them too so maybe I'll go for it

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm excited to play nothing but horror games next month. I have such a ridiculous list of games to choose from!

-Alan Wake (haven't played since the 360)
-Call of Cthulhu
-Condemned: CO (same as AW)
-Dead Rising 1
-Dead Rising 2 (never finished it)
-Deadly Premonition (just started it)
-Dying Light (modded replay)
-The Evil Within 2 (played through this last year and loved it)
-Necrovision (could be fun)
-RE: Rev 2 Raid Mode
-Silent Hill Homecoming (?)

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
that's a pretty solid list

I've never played dying light, it's one of those games that i keep almost buying on sale but don't

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Regy Rusty posted:

She's the hardest boss in the game imo. I almost gave up at that exact spot on my first playthrough. You can do it!

Its hard

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I am taking a break from the internet for October but am planning to play through Resident Evil: Code Veronica X HD as I've never finished it, and also Dead Space 2 again as I loved it back in 2011 or whenever and never played the DLC. See you all in November!

if the UK doesn't vote to sink itself into the ocean before then

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the scariest thing of all... Real life...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hwurmp posted:

Metroid: Goose-Egg Mission

Untitled Goose, this is a honking mission

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Goose game is real good. Im super glad i went backwards right at the start and saw the thing cause thats some big rear end payoff later

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Goose game is real good. Im super glad i went backwards right at the start and saw the thing cause thats some big rear end payoff later
its an incredibly powerful piece of environmental storytelling

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Honking payoff

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

I said come in! posted:

You and me both, meanwhile my wife has like 30+ tabs open all the time.

I have around 200 tabs open right now. :frog:

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Yardbomb posted:

This is most often due to company demands, the same stuff happened in Persona 5 with really weird sounding name pronunciations and the VA's got tired of being jumped on quick, turns out it was because that's how the japanese office insisted they had to say them.

Yeah. My default when I don't like the voices is to blame the directors rather than the actors, who are way too often not given enough context, or told to do bizarre stuff. Doesn't make it any more listenable, though.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
So two questions:

1) how actually scary is Dying Light? I don't have a spooky game lined up for the spooky month, but if not that I'll probably just replay RE2

2) what's the new thread title gonna be

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Relax Or DIE posted:

So two questions:

1) how actually scary is Dying Light? I don't have a spooky game lined up for the spooky month, but if not that I'll probably just replay RE2

1) there are some jump scare bits and the night segments can be very tense but mostly skippable

2) A title composed of invisible characters, because it's a ghost thread

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Relax Or DIE posted:

Nighttime can be pretty tense; there are super-zombies prowling around that it's usually better to avoid rather than fight. There are also a couple fairly spooky sequences later on in the story.

Samuringa posted:

2) A title composed of invisible characters, because it's a ghost thread

Untitled Ghost Thread :ghost: hooOOOOooonk

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

So two questions:

Honktober Chat Thread

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Relax Or DIE posted:

You'll find out in about 5 hours.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Butt-tober Butt Butt Thread

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

axelblaze posted:

I better get spooked just by reading it or I'll be disappointed.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Convex posted:

I am taking a break from the internet for October but am planning to play through Resident Evil: Code Veronica X HD as I've never finished it, and also Dead Space 2 again as I loved it back in 2011 or whenever and never played the DLC. See you all in November!

if the UK doesn't vote to sink itself into the ocean before then

Make sure you bring ammo to the hangar

May 8, 2006

axelblaze posted:

you can't telegraph a jumpscare this much imo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

I'm excited to play nothing but horror games next month. I have such a ridiculous list of games to choose from!

-Alan Wake (haven't played since the 360)
-Call of Cthulhu
-Condemned: CO (same as AW)
-Dead Rising 1
-Dead Rising 2 (never finished it)
-Deadly Premonition (just started it)
-Dying Light (modded replay)
-The Evil Within 2 (played through this last year and loved it)
-Necrovision (could be fun)
-RE: Rev 2 Raid Mode
-Silent Hill Homecoming (?)

I've got a rom hack of zero mission called Metroid Spooky Mission ready to go, and will probably play resident evil 2 and deadly premonition as long games

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For Deadly Premonition, does anyone know of like a list or something of when and where to do the side-content to make the main game easier to manage? I also wanna catch all the ridiculous dialogue and what not.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
For once Atelier is coming out at the beginning of a month instead of the end, so November chat thread better be named after Ryza

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

drat AI really is GOTM, this anime girl Minecraft streamer started monologuing about the illuminati within like 15 minutes of introduction.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Who would win in a fight? All games influenced by Lynch vs all games influenced by King vs all games influenced by Lovecraft?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

King vidor??

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jay Rust posted:

Who would win in a fight? All games influenced by Lynch vs all games influenced by King vs all games influenced by Lovecraft?

The Lynch ones would drown the others by sheer volume

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Taintrunner posted:

For Deadly Premonition, does anyone know of like a list or something of when and where to do the side-content to make the main game easier to manage? I also wanna catch all the ridiculous dialogue and what not.

Rush guitar and the campaign is no problem

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Civ V with the Brave New World expansion pack is one of the greatest games ever made, and if you only play one, it should be that one.

Disregard Ice T
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSneVFMP1CE

Barudak
May 7, 2007

After having lived in Japan for a year I don't like to listen to Japanese VA because so much of it sounds bad now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

drat AI really is GOTM, this anime girl Minecraft streamer started monologuing about the illuminati within like 15 minutes of introduction.

Hell yeah it is

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

So two questions:

I am utterly awful with horror and wasn't remotely unnerved by Dying Light.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

hosed up that they never did a Dead Space HD collection

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Surge 2 has such a wealth of shortcuts, and shortcuts that lead to other shortcuts, that it’s almost easier to get lost than before. Twice recently I’ve lost track of where I was trying to go, but both times I eventually rediscovered a path I had eyeballed and said “I’ll come back to this”. One led straight into a big boss fight (one with an interesting gimmick that resulted in a real Gamer Tale of a finish for me) so I had pretty through scrubbed the rest of the area by then. Now I have my first “Codename” weapon and I’m back to crushing dudes and here’s a good time to say that I love that there’s are no stat requirements for weapons. Combined with the quick switching between favorites means I can alternate between elemental damage or speed or power at will without having cool new weapons be locked away until I level up Dex or something.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Does Gamer Tale mean you muttered a gamer word?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Awesome Animals posted:

Does Gamer Tale mean you muttered a gamer word?

No I think it's when you and three heavily scripted friends spend five minutes showing off a game at E3.