Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Icon Of Sin posted:

I had you two confused earlier

I'm so glad I'm not the only one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

maniac flying into hurricanes to tickle their balls;

I'm dying

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
At a press conference this morning in Odessa they refused to release the shooters identity because they don't want him gaining notoriety and instead will release it 'later'.

If this was a guy any lighter than lily white we'd be seeing interviews with his elementary principal talking about what a bad kid he was, yesterday.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FrozenVent posted:

The hurricane isn’t spinning; the wind is. Because of the Coriolis effect, ground friction and what not.

Basically, when the ground (or water surface) is warm, it warms the air over it. Warm air rises, as it rises this lower the atmospheric pressure at ground level. So air from outside the low pressure area gets sucked into the void. This is what causes wind.

Wind speed is proportional to how quickly the pressure drops over distance, or how “deep” the low is. If you look at a weather chart, the closer together the isobars are, the fast the wind is.

In a spherical frictionless universe, the wind would go straight to the center, but in practice, the wind follows the isobars while curving somewhat inward. The Coriolis effect sets the direction.

TLDR: the air doesn’t get flung out because a hurricane is air getting sucked in. Like someone is letting the air out of a balloon.

basically imagine a hurricane as an inverse bathtub and the eye as the plug hole

it's not the best analogy but it's not inaccurate

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

At a press conference this morning in Odessa they refused to release the shooters identity because they don't want him gaining notoriety and instead will release it 'later'.

If this was a guy any lighter than lily white we'd be seeing interviews with his elementary principal talking about what a bad kid he was, yesterday.

I thought we were trying not to make mass shooters celebrities because the rest of the nazis turn them into martyrs, e.g., Roof and Brevik.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I have been reliably informed by the internet that white shooters are always taken alive

logically this means the perpetrator can't be white

good day sir

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Chichevache posted:

I thought we were trying not to make mass shooters celebrities because the rest of the nazis turn them into martyrs, e.g., Roof and Brevik.

Yeah I think it's best not to turn them into celebrities. That's not the motivation for all of them but I think it's a decent part of the appeal for a lot of them, especially the politically motivated ones.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
boy could you imagine if we had a pandemic of shootings

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Damnatio memoriae seems like it's the way to go for all of these assholes but the public should probably be informed of the motive. Then again, I keep hoping the public will say enough's enough for a while now and it doesn't seem to stick.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1168197116466016258

This poo poo sucks.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Texas continues to be great and new legislation is praised by the NRA as successful

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1168219561180782592?s=21

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Damnatio memoriae seems like it's the way to go for all of these assholes but the public should probably be informed of the motive. Then again, I keep hoping the public will say enough's enough for a while now and it doesn't seem to stick.

Ignoring the problem and just hoping it goes away is a pretty standard response for America

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Man, Bahamas are taking a beating

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

mlmp08 posted:

This poo poo sucks.

That's one hell of an understatement :smith:

M_Gargantua posted:

"I'm not sure that I've ever heard of a Category 5."
This is beyond parody.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ignoring the problem and just hoping it goes away is a pretty standard response for America

Law enforcement should definitely be targeting them, but like I said before, they shouldn't be blasting their names everywhere because it makes them celebrities in their sick circles. Robert Evans' book The War On Everyone did a really good job of illustrating how fucks like Kleibold were inspired- and even competing- with guys like Timothy McVeigh. They look at it like a video game and post manifestos about "beating the high score". Having these men die anonymously or rot in prison without publicity is absolutely the way to treat them.

Let's lionize the victims instead of inspiring The Bowl Patrol and other hosed up internet communities.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Independent is reporting Dorian made landfall in the Bahamas with winds of 220 miles per hour :stare:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/hurricane-dorian-update-live-florida-bahamas-latest-weather-north-carolina-a9087456.html

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Holy gently caress

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I love the cute little place tag, in case he gets lost on the way to his chair. :allears:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That was probably a tornado within the hurricane.

Whether that makes you feel better or worse about the number is up to you.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

that's not a hurricane thats a loving tornado writ large

edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Fujita_scale

im not kidding the highest tornado rating starts at 200 mph

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
Definitely not my favorite hurricane at the moment. Took some big hits today, it’s intensifying still, pressure was like 913 mb when we were in it. Some very strong updrafts in the eye wall, we were gaining like 2k feet every time we went through, which is quite uncomfortable. Lots of positive and negative g’s going on and off quickly as we fight to keep level and on airspeed.

We wound up evacuating the plane to New Orleans since we are worried we wouldn’t be able to get out of our home field with some early strong winds coming off of this thing. Still flying balls early so only a few beers and then off to bed.

https://i.imgur.com/POHcKQD.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/1jBhJwJ.mp4

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Meanwhile, Saxonia had state elections today and the AfD got 27% after forecasts had them at 22% :cripes:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jesus Christ.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

:barf:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

holy poo poo look at that elevation change :stare:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Wonder Free posted:

Definitely not my favorite hurricane at the moment. Took some big hits today, it’s intensifying still, pressure was like 913 mb when we were in it. Some very strong updrafts in the eye wall, we were gaining like 2k feet every time we went through, which is quite uncomfortable. Lots of positive and negative g’s going on and off quickly as we fight to keep level and on airspeed.

We wound up evacuating the plane to New Orleans since we are worried we wouldn’t be able to get out of our home field with some early strong winds coming off of this thing. Still flying balls early so only a few beers and then off to bed.

loving cool as hell.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wonder Free posted:

Stay safe NOAA goon. :ohdear:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Yeesh, those vids are giving me some serious anxiety :stare:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So do you hear the pilot's brass balls clanging even when they're sitting down or does it only happen when they walk?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Wonder Free posted:

That looks like a freaking ride! Savor these crazy moments because when your flying days are behind, these are the days you'll remember.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

bird food bathtub posted:

So do you hear the pilot's brass balls clanging even when they're sitting down or does it only happen when they walk?

Our dude is so ballsy he doesn't even fly the plane in this poo poo

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Pretty sure I got the reference from here. There's a 60s/70s science fiction book with fake interstitial advertisements that talks about people getting sick and offing a bunch of people as just a natural response to our sick society. There's some African country that's the happiest place in the world and a lot of talk about coerced sterilization if that helps ring anybody's bells.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
We actually hit about 2.5 positive and 1.0 negative today. I guess my phone gets stabilized by my arm or my free app doesn’t record g’s well but there were a couple of slams in that video. We went through 3 times today and that was enough.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
Double post, hotel WiFi crapped out

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Wonder Free posted:

We actually hit about 2.5 positive and 1.0 negative today. I guess my phone gets stabilized by my arm or my free app doesn’t record g’s well but there were a couple of slams in that video. We went through 3 times today and that was enough.

holy poo poo lol. you and the crew earned those beers.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The free app probably has filtering that will reject those as errors.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
2 deep as I type.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Wonder Free, can a hurricane be too powerful for you guys to fly into? Like, do you have a cutoff where the missions are no-go because it’s got 200mph winds and poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

piL posted:

Pretty sure I got the reference from here. There's a 60s/70s science fiction book with fake interstitial advertisements that talks about people getting sick and offing a bunch of people as just a natural response to our sick society. There's some African country that's the happiest place in the world and a lot of talk about coerced sterilization if that helps ring anybody's bells.

Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner