Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

when it comes to nukes in this forum everything is an option

we joke about almost everything, but hailing the arrival of our savior ss-18 satan is not one of those things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hail ss-18 satan

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
May His passage cleanse the world.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

e: Per NOAA:
Max sustained winds: 185mph
Movement: W, 5mph
The Bahamas are getting loving wrecked right now :smith:

One of my coworkers is from Freeport and still has family there. I can only imagine the hell she’s probably in right now.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I personally believe nuclear war is winnable in theory, but the circumstances required to get the U.S. to use it’s arsenal will make the war unwinnable or a stalemate. If we lusted for Slavic blood at the highest levels like I do we could definitely overcome Russia. But it’s one of those we either do it 100% right 100% of the way situations, because anything short of that? Millions and millions and millions more dead Americans.

Yeah, no poo poo. Like someone just said, the average hurricane is more powerful than a nuclear war. And we eat hurricanes every 3 or 4 years. But the devil is in the details, when you screw this kind of thing up, you *really* screw it up, so best just keep things on stand-by.

Anyway, cleanup is a bitch and a half.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I've found it, real life galaxy brain.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1168235639285964801

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

My head hurts so much from that

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Checks out.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i mean..... yeah

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
clearly just close the doorian there's no reason to let the hurricane in :downs:

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

So the Bahamas won’t exist, at least as a vacation spot, after today right?

Are we gonna throw a nuke at it once it gets closer to Florida or what?

I talked to a dumbass friend of mine in Ft Lauderdale. “Man I evacuated last time for no reason. I’m staying put.”

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There’s not gonna be a whole lot of places to vacation in the Caribbeans left if poo poo keeps up.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

colachute posted:

So the Bahamas won’t exist, at least as a vacation spot, after today right?

Are we gonna throw a nuke at it once it gets closer to Florida or what?

I talked to a dumbass friend of mine in Ft Lauderdale. “Man I evacuated last time for no reason. I’m staying put.”

Nassau will probably be fine, in the south of the islands. Freeport and Bimini, on the other hand, will have a long road ahead of them.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i went to freeport about 6 years ago, yeah that place is turbofucked

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
But I've been assured climate change is a myth. Why do all these Atlantic locations keep getting obliterated in ever-higher record setting hurricanes?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

latest dorian stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzfFPb4QVjQ

jfc the video from the bahamas looks insane

freeport will be having 36 hours of cat 5 hurricane fun. god drat.

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 2, 2019

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I hope this motherfucker demolishes mar a lago.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bird food bathtub posted:

But I've been assured climate change is a myth. Why do all these Atlantic locations keep getting obliterated in ever-higher record setting hurricanes?

"Natural cycles."
(Don't ask what those cycles are or how they work)

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Stultus Maximus posted:

"Natural cycles."
(Don't ask what those cycles are or how they work)

Uhhhhhhh actually

Jesus -> Crucifixion -> Jesus returns -> Rapture -> NG+

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Now’s the time to sign up for a disaster relief org, if you’re able/willing to help with the storm cleanup. Donating $$ is good too, they’re going to need a ton of cash to help with the recovery. I’ve worked with Team Rubicon in the past (I signed up for them years ago based on something I read in these undead/not-straight forums), so hopefully they spin up something I can go on again.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hey Wonder Free, can you talk about how you fly into the storm? Is there a turbulence penetration speed you all maintain?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

colachute posted:

I hope this motherfucker demolishes mar a lago.

I hope it parks on top of maralago and just grinds itself out.

Florida sucks and I feel bad for you poor bastards there. Not empathetic for everyone though, my cousin lives in St. Lucie, my uncle bought a timeshare there (he's not that sharp). I feel no pain for those idiots.

The Bahamas though, gently caress. They're doomed and I really hope the best for them.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Meanwhile, the forests aren’t the only thing that burns in California :(

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7419423/Many-feared-dead-boat-bursts-flames-California-30-people-rescued.html

This is near Santa Cruz, on the north side of the Channel Islands. I worked for a shop last year in that area, so odds are good I’ve got connections to someone that was on that boat :smith:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Icon Of Sin posted:

Meanwhile, the forests aren’t the only thing that burns in California :(

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7419423/Many-feared-dead-boat-bursts-flames-California-30-people-rescued.html

This is near Santa Cruz, on the north side of the Channel Islands. I worked for a shop last year in that area, so odds are good I’ve got connections to someone that was on that boat :smith:

gently caress that’s terrible.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://twitter.com/53rdWRS/status/1168273729169907715?s=19

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

jesus that video

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There's a lot of dangerous poo poo I think it'd be fun to do but that isn't one of them

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

id be happy with a vr experience

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
So my 73 year old dad lives in Stuart, FL which is pretty much dead center of the model average. My wife and I have tried multiple times to get him to leave and to come to NC with us. He is stubborn as all hell and is staying. His arguments for staying is it’s going to hit NC too, and the other olds that can’t leave in his retirement community will need his help after the storm has passed.

Luckily he lives in a well constructed, post hurricane Andrew building, so he might be able to survive the brunt of it. There’s a trailer park about a 1/4 mile away that will most definitely be wiped off the face of the earth once Dorian makes land fall.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Last I heard my dad lives in a houseboat in satellite beach. I hope everyone down there survives, but in just his case specifically, I'm rooting for the hurricane.

E: just found out today's his birthday, too. Hell of a present for him.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 2, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol my sister in law's mother lives in a trailer in Melbourne

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I hope it parks on top of maralago and just grinds itself out.

Florida sucks and I feel bad for you poor bastards there. Not empathetic for everyone though, my cousin lives in St. Lucie, my uncle bought a timeshare there (he's not that sharp). I feel no pain for those idiots.

The Bahamas though, gently caress. They're doomed and I really hope the best for them.

Yeah, same for me. My feelings are a combination of sympathy for everyone who cant afford to move out of Florida, derision for anyone who chooses to move down there now (I'm looking at you, retiring baby boomers), and pure schadenfraude when all those rich fucks lose their vacation homes or mansions.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Bored As gently caress posted:

Yeah, same for me. My feelings are a combination of sympathy for everyone who cant afford to move out of Florida, derision for anyone who chooses to move down there now (I'm looking at you, retiring baby boomers), and pure schadenfraude when all those rich fucks lose their vacation homes or mansions.

My parents moved to Myrtle two years ago, when the sea washes their stupid house away I won't have to deal with throwing out all their poo poo.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i had family and friends get hosed by sandy, that poo poo is horrible

my best friend went to school in LA back when katrina hit. i remember trying to call his rear end for a week from iraq to find out how he was,

dude stayed behind and rode his harley in the school buildings while the storm raged on, then it took him 4 days to get to texas.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's important to remember that barrier islands are basically sandbars that have trees/shrubbery on them and ideally they serve as a breakwater for storm surge.

However, in this not-ideal world, the wealthy have shorn huge swathes of those islands down to the sand, built mansions and high-rise condos there, and cut gaps in the beach dunes in order to have their desired view of the water. If a hurricane bulldozes their poo poo back into the intracoastal maybe it's for the best.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yeah some of those islands are like <40 feet above sea level

i think the storm surge was 25 ft

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

It's important to remember that barrier islands are basically sandbars that have trees/shrubbery on them and ideally they serve as a breakwater for storm surge.

However, in this not-ideal world, the wealthy have shorn huge swathes of those islands down to the sand, built mansions and high-rise condos there, and cut gaps in the beach dunes in order to have their desired view of the water. If a hurricane bulldozes their poo poo back into the intracoastal maybe it's for the best.

Offshore, reefs did largely the same thing. However, Florida reefs are:
-Still recovering from Irma (including broken corals and marine debris smothering the reef)
-getting stony coral tissue disease, which is spreading through the keys and killing off some corals
-getting smothered by algae, because the fish that used to eat the algae were eaten by lionfish instead
-the acidifying ocean killing them off slowly by making their outer shells easier to dissolve

Welcome to hellworld, if you’re enjoying your stay you’re probably part of the reason everything is terrible.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

lol my sister in law's mother lives in a trailer in Melbourne

tell her to get into one of the shelters; they're still open

quote:

The following shelters are now open on the Space Coast:

Pet-Friendly:

Port St. John Community Center, 6650 Corto Road, Port St. John
Viera Regional Community Center, 2300 Judge Fran Jamieson Way, Viera
Wickham Park Community Center, 2815 Leisure Way, Melbourne
Ted Whitlock Community Center at Fred Poppe Regional Park, 1951 Malabar Rd NW, Palm Bay.
General Population:

Apollo Elementary School, 3085 Knox McRae Dr., Titusville
Walter Butler Community Center at Bernice Jackson Park, 4201 US Highway 1, Cocoa
Manatee Elementary School, 3425 Viera Blvd., Viera
Sherwood Elementary School, 2541 Post Road, Melbourne
Bayside High School, 1901 DeGroodt Rd. S.W. Palm Bay
South Mainland Community Center, 3700 Allen Ave., Micco.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1168550494161297409?s=19

Hope FARC doesn't restart violence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Party Plane Jones posted:

tell her to get into one of the shelters; they're still open

She's currently driving over to stay with my SIL and my brother in Spring Hill, but thanks for the info!