Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

SirFozzie posted:

(note: I am not a psychologist, my only insight is being diagnosed as clinically depressed, who had family take him to the hospital ER, because I didn't see a way out and was scared what I was going to do to myself if I didn't).

Seconding this. I've also been living with clinical depression most of my life, and it was only diagnosed ~5 years ago when someone finally pushed me to get help.

I still clearly remember a time back in high school, when I finally couldn't balance the whole "can't go to class/do school work because everything is fuzzy static wrapped in a suffocating lead cloth" act anymore and was staring down failing (the Finnish equivalent of) a mandatory AP math class. At worst this would have meant me graduating some months later after retaking the class the next year ie. a very big who gives a gently caress in the grand scheme of things, but I remember lying in bed until 4 am and stressing over how I had finally literally ruined my life by being a worthless piece of poo poo, and how the only reasonable path forward was to kill myself.

It doesn't take a whole loving lot to push a mentally ill person over the edge, and by all accounts Alec had severe mental issues. It's a horrible loving situation all around, both for Alec's victims, Alec's friends and family, and yes, to even Alec himself.

It would be easy to say that blame for Alec's suicide lies with Zoe Quinn, or other people who accused him, but it really doesn't IMO. A person with mental illnesses doesn't always respond and react in rational ways, and while mentally ill people can't always help how they act, that doesn't excuse their behaviour much less mean it has to be covered up. Sexism and harassment are a huge problem in the games industry, and it's largely because it constantly keeps getting excused, covered up, just accepted as a cost of doing business or because there are so many loving sexists and sex pests in the industry that it enables them all to function through sheer inertia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ImpAtom posted:

Calebhart42, a speedrunner who has appeared multiple times on GDQ, pressured a woman to have unprotected sex and then threatened her with lawsuits until she got an abortion.

Isn't this the same rear end in a top hat who has Twitch clips of literally beating himself up because he missed a trick on a speedrun?

Fake edit: yeah, tons of videos of him yelling himself coarse at video games and saying some extremely reprehensible poo poo. Seems like a very normal person.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Boba Pearl posted:

It's weird how people aren't understanding Stux because what they are saying is not some crazy idea. It's not racism to make fun of French People not shaving or smoking cigarettes or whatever. They're stereotypes, but no-one's going to lynch a frenchman for being hairy.

That’s an awful argument. Nobody is going to lynch a black person for liking watermelon or an Asian guy for being good at math, but ithey’re still racist as gently caress stereotypes.

And I’d be willing to bet French people have been killed because people thought they’d hosed their wives, beaten up because dumb yokels think they’re cheese-eating surrender monkeys etc.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 23, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Stux posted:

the examples you quoted are not the same as the examples you mentioned and you shouldnt conflate them.

That guy shound’t make ”it’s OK to say X because people don’t get killed because of X” arguments.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

My big Jonathan Blow memory is from one E3, Giant Bomb’s aftershow. Thry had him and Microsoft’s Phil Spencer on at the same time and Blow kept trying to take Spencer to task for Microsoft’s press conference because they didn’t dedicate time to discuss ”what really matters”, their backend processes for approving indie games and their updates to the Microsoft Store.

Motherfucker, this is the biggest consumer facing event of the year and you’re upset thry didn’t spend their press conference talking about backend systems? And then act indignant about and keep coming back to it time and time again?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Endorph posted:

cecilia d'anastasio posted this victim blaming, back-patting bullshit about the time she outright lied to a victim of sex abuse to get a good story, and ofc theres a ton of game journos and kotaku people circling the wagons.

Yeah, it's not surprising. The scene is insanely cliquey and once you're in, you can do hosed up things and still find people willing to go to bat for you.

In last year's big #MeToo push a guy I kind of know from the European indie dev scene was called out on his hosed up poo poo, and before I cut him out of my life (and let him know why) a bunch of people who REALLY SHOULD KNOW BETTER came out to speak up for him, to make excuses for him, and to kind of victim blame albeit in guarded terms.

It's absolutely sickening because these same scenes make a big deal of believing the victims and presenting a progressive, open and welcoming front.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

TheAnomaly posted:

Grooming underage people to sleep with them once they're legal is predatory behavior. Convincing people that you love them, that you have a relationship or are interested in a romantic relationship, so that you can sleep with them then cutting off contact is predatory behavior - regardless of age difference. Taking advantage of your celebrity so that you can do that to your fans is even more predatory behavior. Treating people like they don't matter, like their feelings don't matter, makes you a sexual predator (except in fetish behavior where everyone involved is aware of and has consented to such behavior). Legally being a sexual predator doesn't exonerate him from being a sexual predator.

I would also be in awe of people not realizing this, but at this point I'm just so used to it I expect people to ignore predatory behaviors so long as "they're legal" and to blame victims in pretty much all situations.

Yeah, that's the thing that really gets to me. Even in the most generous possible reading, assuming all kinds of lessening factors that almost certainly aren't true, the guy is a loving sexual predator who lies to women in an effort to coax sex from them.

And yet some people are falling over each other to go to bat for this loving rear end in a top hat.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Flannelette posted:

The best he can say is he behaved exactly like drake or any other grooming rockstars, which is bad.

"Oh I didn't TECHNICALLY do anything illegal, I just acted like a sex pest and abused my position of power and trust to coerce and fool women into having sex with me, after which I ghosted them, leaving them with mental scars and possible trust issues. Oh and the very young women I groomed into having sex with me were of legal age at the time we actually had sex"

-- a noted good guy

And yet people will defend this piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

There's more.

https://twitter.com/alyssa_falcone/status/1378167461602807808