Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

A general tea drinking/appreciation thread. Both for "true" teas (leaves of the amellia sinensis plant) as well as herbal teas. Chinese refers to herbal teas as "tea" so let's not get all bent out of shape over delicious hot beverages and they were the first cultivators of the stuff! The root of the word "tea" is also from Chinese in several (if not all) languages. That's pretty neat stuff!

:11tea:Right now I'm drinking a green tea from Uji. The tea of Uji is the second most revered in Japan, traditionally, after the tea of Shizuoka. The third most is Yamato-cha from Nara Prefecture. Poor ol' Nara, always recognized but always at least like 3rd on the list...

I like green tea but I think my go-to is Chinese black teas (they call it "red tea" as do the Japanese) and Chinese or Taiwanese oolongs (love me a good tie guan yin!). Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to head to the Chinatown in Kobe to pick up some of my favorite varieties. Maybe one day when I have a second. It's pretty much the only reason I have to head to Kobe though. May also grab some white tea as well. That can be real nice.

Sometimes I like to drink some rooibos before bed. Caffeine free but it's got a nice deep flavor to it.

Once winter hits I'll have to hit the Nepalese grocery and grab the ingredients to make some spiced Indian chai. A college friend of mine gave me hers. It's super excellent too.

:11tea:Also feel free to bump this thread every time you are stewing/imbibing the bittersweet leaf!:11tea:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

One time, I ordered a matcha latte by accident at a café. It was delicious. The next time I was at a café, I asked for an iced tea and when they listed their teas, I heard matcha and picked it again. But that was gross.

What I am trying to say is that tea is difficult and science is still struggling to completely understand what tea is. Is it a plant? We don't know. Is it alive? Maybe. Perhaps it is a moss? Lichen? Bacteria? Small horse?

Escape From Noise

bee eater posted:

One time, I ordered a matcha latte by accident at a café. It was delicious. The next time I was at a café, I asked for an iced tea and when they listed their teas, I heard matcha and picked it again. But that was gross.

What I am trying to say is that tea is difficult and science is still struggling to completely understand what tea is. Is it a plant? We don't know. Is it alive? Maybe. Perhaps it is a moss? Lichen? Bacteria? Small horse?

Mattcha is kind of weird because, unlike most teas, it is powdered tea leaf that is whisked into water or whatever, kind of like a shake. Traditionally it is drunk as part of the Japanese tea ceremony where it is whisked in a large bowl with water called a "chawan". It's very strong and the high grade stuff is incredibly expensive as it can only be made from the uppermost buds of the tea bush (fun fact: tea grades tend to go down the further down the branch you go, bancha in Japan is made of the largest leaves, and kukicha is made from the stems).

I think most Westerners and younger people prefer matccha as a flavoring in desserts such as ice creams and frappes.

Koicha is like really thick matccha. Koi means strong flavor in Japanese. It's like a syrup. Gave me a hell of a buzz when I had it.

Heather Papps

hello friend

I love green and black tea, but if I make a pot, I drink all of it, and then I am running to my piss tree every hour.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Escape From Noise

The tea makes u pee.

ToxicSlurpee

-=SEND HELP=-

Every time is tea time if you're brave enough.

I'm sewage flavored.

Escape From Noise

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Every time is tea time if you're brave enough.

Heck yes.

Heather Papps

hello friend

The crash of nuclear arms exploding lights the night sky, a moment later, the shock wave rocks me from my sleep.

"Well, guess it's tea time!"

Escape From Noise

Heather Papps posted:

The crash of nuclear arms exploding lights the night sky, a moment later, the shock wave rocks me from my sleep.

"Well, guess it's tea time!"

Attitude is everything and this is the right attitude.

Manifisto

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Mattcha is kind of weird because, unlike most teas, it is powdered tea leaf that is whisked into water or whatever, kind of like a shake. Traditionally it is drunk as part of the Japanese tea ceremony where it is whisked in a large bowl with water called a "chawan". It's very strong and the high grade stuff is incredibly expensive as it can only be made from the uppermost buds of the tea bush (fun fact: tea grades tend to go down the further down the branch you go, bancha in Japan is made of the largest leaves, and kukicha is made from the stems).

I think most Westerners and younger people prefer matccha as a flavoring in desserts such as ice creams and frappes.

Koicha is like really thick matccha. Koi means strong flavor in Japanese. It's like a syrup. Gave me a hell of a buzz when I had it.

I had matcha prepared for me at a zen temple in japan and the whole experience was incredibly cool, that is the way to drink matcha, contemplatively as you take in the surroundings of lovely zen gardens

I got into a rhythm of drinking tea in the afternoon at work to combat the post-lunch doldrums with a gentler buzz than coffee

I came to particularly favor an assam tea which came in one of those fancy pyramid bags, I gather belatedly that those tea bags aren't the most environmentally friendly things but the tea was real good

ty nesamdoom!

poverty goat

i drink tons of this assam irish breakfast blend. it's my coffee replacement and I feel much better drinking this like coffee than I did drinking coffee like this

i also tried a couple of their less expensive oolongs with my last reup and im pretty happy with both of them
https://www.uptontea.com/formosa-oolong-tea/taiwan-loose-leaf-oolong-tea/p/V00251/
https://www.uptontea.com/chinese-oolong-tea/china-oolong-se-chung/p/V00364/

drinking that last one now

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude
There is no tea in team!

Oh wait... there is :aaa:

<3 <3 Vanisher

ToxicSlurpee

-=SEND HELP=-

I drink so much Earl Grey tea that I have to special order it in bulk. That poo poo is seriously delicious.

I'm sewage flavored.

Escape From Noise

Manifisto posted:

I had matcha prepared for me at a zen temple in japan and the whole experience was incredibly cool, that is the way to drink matcha, contemplatively as you take in the surroundings of lovely zen gardens

I got into a rhythm of drinking tea in the afternoon at work to combat the post-lunch doldrums with a gentler buzz than coffee

I came to particularly favor an assam tea which came in one of those fancy pyramid bags, I gather belatedly that those tea bags aren't the most environmentally friendly things but the tea was real good

Mattcha is definitely kind of an experience. Man, I haven't done a tea ceremony in ages!

Heather Papps

hello friend

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Mattcha is definitely kind of an experience. Man, I haven't done a tea ceremony in ages!

Samurai Jack final season tea ceremony. I'm not crying you are.

Bargearse

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I do enjoy a nice cup of tea, usually Earl Grey

Heather Papps

hello friend

i
am
drinking
TEA

poverty goat

:same:

Heather Papps

hello friend

which kind friend and fellow tea time thread poster?

poverty goat

Irish breakfast, iced. You?

Heather Papps

hello friend

basic tetleys green. low caf for eve

Heather Papps

hello friend

Heather Papps posted:

basic tetleys green. low caf for eve

triple steeped for bitter, no honey or milk

poverty goat

Nice

lost my old email

yorkshire tea because i am a working man. or coop own brand if i am feeling festive

woooooo tiny shout out to deaf sex woooooooo it is spooky and i should have slept more posting up a storm this night wooooooooooooo i say. tiny shout out to mocking quantum also that guy rules. whoooooooooooo

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

My English cousin got me drinking tea. She likes PG Tipps but it is hard to find stateside, so I drink Twinnings irish breakfast (which she says is garbage) with milk and no sugar. I also drink sweet tear that is basically syrup because I live in the south.

I could grow tea in my back yard, but it’s not very ornamental, so instead I grow it’s very ornamental first cousins, Camellia japonica and Camellia sasanqua which are wonderful large shrubs with nice foliage that also bloom all winter long. My great grandfather was a camellia fancier when that was a hobby old southern men got into in the 60’s/70s and bred them.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

tea is a weak drink for sickly children. coffee, on the other hand, infuses the humors with manly vigor.

Heather Papps

hello friend

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

tea is a weak drink for sickly children. coffee, on the other hand, infuses the humors with manly vigor.

but when a man needs to sleep, a tea is just the thing

Goons Are Gifts

Bloody marvelous

poverty goat

i love coffee but i feel much better after switching to tea for my everyday caffeine drip

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

if you ever watch british murder mysteries, you will find that british people can be murdered by simply pushing them over. a simple trip over a misplaced item will gravely injure them and tripping on the stairs is always fatal. this is all due to tea.

Escape From Noise

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

if you ever watch british murder mysteries, you will find that british people can be murdered by simply pushing them over. a simple trip over a misplaced item will gravely injure them and tripping on the stairs is always fatal. this is all due to tea.

But what of the noble samurai or gung-fu expert?

poverty goat

drinking some tea

gotta be careful with this stuff, 2-3 mins at 180 and not a degree more or it gets bitter

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Half past three, everything stops for tea

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
I made a big iced tea yesterday with two teabags and orange juice concentrate, so an orange palmer I guess? it was real good and I'm gonna do it again when I get home

Heather Papps

hello friend

pixaal posted:

Half past three, everything stops for tea

we matcha

pixaal

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UksDKoCqbd4&t=16s

sig by owlhawk911

Resting Lich Face

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Tea is cool and good.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Had 2 cups of tea yesterday, they were both good. Gonna think about having one in the morning tomorrow and see how it makes me feel

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Escape From Noise

I definitely need to go to Chinatown on my day off. I need some Chinese tea. As mentioned above Chinese green tea is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat

drinking some irish breakfast tea w/ milk