Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Mularkey went 9-7 twice

And he was let go less for being unsuccessful and more for refusing to fire his obviously bad offensive coordinator.

Having said that, I have doubts about Vrabel, his only real highlight seems to be his aggressiveness, but that's something that'll be judged more by how this season goes than can be made under the current paltry resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I hope patricia is on the hottest of seats and then it collapses under his girth.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Yeah Patricia is the guy I'd most like to see fired. After him, BOB.

I also want John Lynch, Steve Keim, and Jason Licht get fired but that's beyond the remit of this thread I suppose

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I want BoB to get a 10 year extension when his friend takes over as GM next year.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Play posted:

Yeah Patricia is the guy I'd most like to see fired. After him, BOB.

I also want John Lynch, Steve Keim, and Jason Licht get fired but that's beyond the remit of this thread I suppose

You know Licht isn't going anywhere as long as Arians is the HC.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I want BoB to get a 10 year extension when his friend takes over as GM next year.

10 years, $110 million :smug:

It would be hilarious if Gruden sets the new standard for HC contracts.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I remember Patrica built a fort during a preseason game how could anyone hate such a zany and fun loving guy

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Is he still driving around on a golf cart like the avatar of neckbeardom?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

It is goddamn awesome that Matt Patricia will reside on a King Koopa throne on game day.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Cavauro posted:

it's because the other kid on that show was named Zachery and had three names also. Do not feel bad

Blind guess: Zachary Ty Bryan

Oh god I was right someone help

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

sharknado slashfic posted:

Blind guess: Zachary Ty Bryan

Oh god I was right someone help

Okay, I think can still save it...

Zachary TY Bryan - Born: October 9, 1981 (age 37 years)

Zac Taylor - Born: May 10, 1983 (age 36 years)

Eh? Eh? :smug:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
We don't normally cover GMs in this thread but Mike Mayock getting brutally steamrolled by Gruden is both predictable and hilarious

Why did they even bother hiring a GM if everybody knows Gruden's calling the shots anyway?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Literally the draft

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Blitz7x posted:

Literally the draft

Was Mike Mayock so good at draft predictions and analysis on TV that he deserved to be beamed directly into a GM position without any scouting or front office experience?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

LabyaMynora posted:

Was Mike Mayock so good at draft predictions and analysis on TV that he deserved to be beamed directly into a GM position without any scouting or front office experience?

I mean, he's always been well-regarded for his analysis/scouting and has been linked to front office jobs before, so it's not totally insane

But taking the Raiders job was just begging to be set up for failure

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Benne posted:

I mean, he's always been well-regarded for his analysis/scouting and has been linked to front office jobs before, so it's not totally insane

But taking the Raiders job was just begging to be set up for failure

You could argue that this is the only situation where Mayock could thrive, where the coach is the psuedo GM and the GM has a very set list of responsibilities

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Benne posted:

We don't normally cover GMs in this thread but Mike Mayock getting brutally steamrolled by Gruden is both predictable and hilarious

Why did they even bother hiring a GM if everybody knows Gruden's calling the shots anyway?

I don’t think Gruden called the shot on the voiding fine

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I can't wait until the end of this season when we finally hear all the behind the scenes stuff that went down.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I can't wait until the end of this season when we finally hear all the behind the scenes stuff that went down.

It's 2019, we're hearing about it this afternoon.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

ABs gonna a write a book about that place.

A real smackarooni

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Probably Magic posted:

It's 2019, we're hearing about it this afternoon.

Naw, there's gonna be some long form piece on the Ringer or ESPN that really gets into it like with the Fat Mike and Rodgers story. Show us how the sausage is made.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Fat Mike and Rodgers story. Show us how the sausage is made.

link?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

OxySnake posted:

A real smackarooni

Bad My Name, Cold My Feet: The AB Story

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828649-what-happened-in-green-bay

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

OxySnake posted:

A real smackarooni

AB didn't show up enough to learn anything

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

OxySnake posted:

A real smackarooni

it was a bad of times it were a good of time

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raku posted:

:hmmyes:

Highline
Mar 28, 2009

Raku posted:

:perfect:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

There's not a lot else the Raiders could have done. Either you're going to laugh at them in a month when AB goes awol because they're 0-4 and he decides he's got the shits again and they're on the hook for 30 million or you give them poo poo for losing him now.

For all the talk of the Raiders draft too it's september. Might want to wait for, I dunno - any games to be played before you throw them out. I think Mayock gets at least another offseason.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Mayock is gonna be the first GM fired. This was ridiculous.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I know it's only one game so far, but Dan Quinn and Freddie Kitchens look like their seats are heating up.

Probably Jay Gruden, too.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I may have been too kind to Mike Tomlin

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

ELO Musk posted:

I don’t think Gruden called the shot on the voiding fine
Brown wanted out, the voiding fine was just the excuse. If it wasn’t that he woulda found some other reason to not show.

And yeah Mayock is basically the head of the scouting department with a cool title, Gruden runs the show. Unfortunately for him he’s also Gruden’s human shield so if Davis feels embarrassed enough by the whole thing he might make Mayock the sacrifice.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

wyoak posted:

Brown wanted out, the voiding fine was just the excuse. If it wasn’t that he woulda found some other reason to not show.

And yeah Mayock is basically the head of the scouting department with a cool title, Gruden runs the show. Unfortunately for him he’s also Gruden’s human shield so if Davis feels embarrassed enough by the whole thing he might make Mayock the sacrifice.

They're on the hook with Gruden for another 70 million dollars. He's not going anywhere fast.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

After it came out that Brown is a huge rear end in a top hat I don't think Mayock made any missteps other than trading for AB in the first place. Gruden comes out of this looking kinda naive, but genuine

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Blitz7x posted:

After it came out that Brown is a huge rear end in a top hat I don't think Mayock made any missteps other than trading for AB in the first place. Gruden comes out of this looking kinda naive, but genuine

Gruden having that much power is bad, though. I don't think he's qualified and he's gonna waste resources chasing guys he thinks are "his guys". Already a huge house cleaning is happening to get rid of "Reggie's guys" because obviously if they're "Reggie's guys" then they're not "his guys".

I agree Mayock was fine but I think they'd be better off with a stronger GM to balance out Gruden's fantasies.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

In Hard Knocks during the 4th preseason game Gruden walked along the sidelines yelling "wheres the GM, hey Mike, go get me some guys that can catch a loving football" so I don't know that's its so cut and dry. Maybe Mayock gets a list down to a couple guys and Gruden makes the ultimate call?

Sometimes it seems like Gruden has complete control and sometimes Gruden just calls the plays. Who knows

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Is it too early to start speculating who the next big coaching prospects are?

Besides anyone who's ever shook hands with Sean McVey and is under 40.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

My annual "why is BOB still employed" take gets to be posted earlier than January this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

OxySnake posted:

Is it too early to start speculating who the next big coaching prospects are?

Besides anyone who's ever shook hands with Sean McVey and is under 40.

McVay and his coaching tree are 2-1 in the first week and Zac Taylor with the Bengals nearly pulled off a big upset, losing by only one point. I'm interested to see how they do this season.

As far as new coaching prospects, I have no idea I'm not really tuned into all that