Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Are there vehicles? If so, are the driving controls complete trash still like in wildlands

yes and i managed to drive up a mountain without crashing so they're not complete trash

but they aren't very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Psion posted:

yes and i managed to drive up a mountain without crashing so they're not complete trash

but they aren't very good

I switch between KB/M and controller when playing, and the vehicles actually feel worse by default somehow. Super twitchy. I'm sure there will be refinements, and it looked like there were plenty of sensitivity options.

Helo controls seemed fine at a brush, though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Orv posted:

This is based on the tech test but frankly the things missing from the tech test were technical, not foundational so I feel pretty comfortable in this sweeping statement;

This is more Wildlands. It's a weirder Wildlands, with a few toes dipped into survival games where your health and ammo and other consumable mechanics are concerned. Limited supplies, scrounging from enemy bases, limited healing. It's got harder stealth mechanics, things straight out of All Ghillied Up like caking yourself in mud when prone in a swamp so dudes can't see you as they walk past. It's also got half a leg in Division. Your gear has stats now, though you have a full appearance system that doesn't care about your equipped gear, only what you've unlocked. Enemies have levels and a la the last two Assassin's Creeds it is measurably more difficult to kill an up-leveled enemy. However unlike Assassin's Creed it is not nigh-impossible and when it is possible it does not take two years to do so. Coordination with a group of friends or a carefully planned fight will let you kill higher level enemies. (No you will not be killing the large swathes of high level enemies you encounter in what is effectively the tutorial.)

The shooting is a little heavier; sniper rifles care a little more about ballistics, enemies care a little more about what they're wearing, dudes with gently caress off huge guns do gently caress off huge damage. The world is significantly cooler for my money, but your mileage may vary. And blessedly (disappointingly?) for a Tom Clancy game the nutso political ramblings are mostly confined to a "What if Elon Musk had an island, went crazy and it got taken over by his own personal army?" plot. You're not there to judge or to play some kind of American superiority card, at least that I heard in the story so far. poo poo's hosed, but it's weird near-future tech and PMC stuff, more Metal Gear (less crazy) than Wildlands. The entire thing is still American-involved and Bernthal is an ex-Ghost so I'm sure it'll get oorah at some point, but likely not as adjacently-racist.

Finally, it's kind of an MMO? It's unclear just how far this goes, but the main base of operations is a phased multiplayer area where you will see random players walking around (this does not carry outside AFAIK) and there is one raid I know of, with the implication of several more. Yeah, raid.

In summary, Breakpoint is super weird and I'm super into what I've played so far, but if Wildlands wasn't your bag, it's probably not going to bring you around.

E: Also insofar as I've seen Bernthal is tremendous and I almost wish they'd made him the next Far Cry villain so he's more in your face and involved than it seems he will be here.

yeah. as glitchy as the beta is i kinda like the moment to moment gameplay more than wildlands. everything has more weight to it and the animations are amazing at points. the baddies feel smarter this time around too and they don't have a hive mind like in wildlands. i feel like its "easier" to gently caress up a small outpost now. in correction to something in your post. its not elon musks army. its the punishers army. basically the punisher gets mad about the US not giving a poo poo about his men and goes full big boss but out and out facist and takes over the island with a platoon of ex/rogue spec ops types. he also has not-blackwater working for him as well as drones. so its basicaly the rock but the baddie is openly fascist. so at least your shooting fascists now. the rpg elements feel tacked on but they don't fully break the game because they seem to work more super division 2 logic. hard dudes can still die quick but they will kill you fast. i do like that bullet sponge stuff seems mostly gone, a head shot will kill anything, including armored heavies.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 6, 2019

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

DarkDobe posted:

And a question: My sharpshooter tier challenge is "Get X kills with HDG" and I'll be damned if I know what the gently caress HDG is. Please advise?

HDG = HanDGun (your pistols and whatnots)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

a head shot will kill anything, including armored heavies.

depends on the weapon but even with a low damage auto they don't take many, which is nice.

what I like is the moment to moment gameplay of using your drone to scout out a base and then sneaking around it and clearing it, that's good. The open world unfortunately seems to be more in the way of wasting my time than engaging me outside of those moments, though. Maybe when I get the fast travel network of bivouac sites fully explored that'll bother me less?

I would not pick this up for single player, not at all. It really feels like it's only going to be good if you get a group together.

Getting spotted from the air is a bit frustrating. You don't always have a lot time to react and cover/camo yourself, which is a bit of an issue when, say, you're in a drone cam view scouting a base and a helicopter flies over that you don't hear from the drone cam.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 6, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The drone flyovers are a pain in the rear end because they are super good at spotting you and you pretty much have to break LOS to be hidden, no bush cover or laying in grass. Even then, they end up coming across at a weird angle and start spotting you while you think you're fine and then you have to dance around the tree/rock to find the one good spot. I'd love to be able to shoot one of those bastards down at some point.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Psion posted:

depends on the weapon but even with a low damage auto they don't take many, which is nice.

what I like is the moment to moment gameplay of using your drone to scout out a base and then sneaking around it and clearing it, that's good. The open world unfortunately seems to be more in the way of wasting my time than engaging me outside of those moments, though. Maybe when I get the fast travel network of bivouac sites fully explored that'll bother me less?

I would not pick this up for single player, not at all. It really feels like it's only going to be good if you get a group together.

Getting spotted from the air is a bit frustrating. You don't always have a lot time to react and cover/camo yourself, which is a bit of an issue when, say, you're in a drone cam view scouting a base and a helicopter flies over that you don't hear from the drone cam.

they are adding in AI squadmates for single player after launch. they announced it around e3. i feel like aurora has more depth than bolivia did so far. but i hope enimies activly hunt for you. like if you crash your chopper near a base or do hit and run attacks, i hope the baddies try to hunt you down with squad sweeps and patrols and poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

double post :(

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they are adding in AI squadmates for single player after launch. they announced it around e3. i feel like aurora has more depth than bolivia did so far. but i hope enimies activly hunt for you. like if you crash your chopper near a base or do hit and run attacks, i hope the baddies try to hunt you down with squad sweeps and patrols and poo poo.

Oh, that's good that they're walking back the whole "you only get drones in singleplayer."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

Oh, that's good that they're walking back the whole "you only get drones in singleplayer."

yeah. its gonna be after launch(soon after though) but its nice. i like the beta a bunch but i am probably gonna wait and get it around the holidays when its cheaper and patched up well.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

FAUXTON posted:

The drone flyovers are a pain in the rear end because they are super good at spotting you and you pretty much have to break LOS to be hidden, no bush cover or laying in grass. Even then, they end up coming across at a weird angle and start spotting you while you think you're fine and then you have to dance around the tree/rock to find the one good spot. I'd love to be able to shoot one of those bastards down at some point.

You can totally shoot them down. They also look super goofy because they suddenly turn into styrofoam and tumble out of the air.
Only takes 1 sniper shot (Mind you this is specced sniper with like a 10% drone bonus and a big rifle).

The super agile murderdrones take 2 sniper shots (or one if you are using the sniper special skill). Same for the police drones.

Sniper is REALLY good at drone murder, but I wish they had more palpable bonuses to things like recoil and scope sway.
Currently my biggest peeve is that hold-breath takes like 5 seconds to kick in fully, and does nothing for the first second or so.

Also not a fan of enemies appearing out of thin air at sub 150m range, like when one of the aforementioned recon drones sees you. Enemies tend to spawn kind of magically close? At least so far they manage it out of LoS but I've had them appear within shotgun range - a full squad of Wolves with murderbots.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 7, 2019

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Anyone who wants a key post your Uplay! I have 3 to give out and you have to be friends on uplay to give them it seems.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Ask that in the discord too! There’s a poo poo load of goons there and we have gave away tons of beta keys already. I’m sure there are other goons who would want one in case you get no bites here. :)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
wait, what, Adam Devine?

like, Adam from Workaholics Adam Devine?

the gently caress is he doing in this? is he basically playing the Ghost Recon equivalent of Hurk?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that's a big step forward then because I played a little three-player co-op and it did a whole lot to salvage my opinion of this game

I do like auroa and I hope some of the other islands (there are others, right) have more of that future city vibe to them. I can think of worse things than third-person XCOM 2 cityscapes.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
I’ve only been able to play briefly so far, but I will say that I’m feeling more optimistic again after getting into the game itself; it’s probably not terrible! Mostly, anyways. Vehicle handling is better, having reached the level of “handles like rear end” instead of “handles like a drunk balloon”. It’s better, not good, but better.

Basic movement is terrible though. The game prioritizes animation over player input, so it’s like steering a barge, which kinda conflicts with the idea of being a super tacticool spec ops guy. The animations are terrible anyways. I get what they were going for, giving your character a sense of weight and feeling like he’s actually got a heavy backpack on, but it just doesn’t work.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Man I dunno why people hate on Wildlands driving, it was hilarious drifting around mountains, over mountains, off mountains....

The driving was one of the most entertaining parts of the game

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
To other ps4 players, are experiencing, uh, latency with the controls? Everything I do takes half a second to actually register in-game, and I’m wondering if it’s just me...

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Man I dunno why people hate on Wildlands driving, it was hilarious drifting around mountains, over mountains, off mountains....

The driving was one of the most entertaining parts of the game

I always loved just crashing my helicopter of dudes wherever I wanted to land and hopping out, unscathed. poo poo ruled and was hilarious every time.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Eastbound Spider posted:

I phased through a wall and fell to my death doing that

so far my most annoying bug besides the controls randomly locking up are getting ganked by a mortar while inside a building. Like, middle of the building 2nd floor out of a 5 story building. Not even near a widow or anything. I guess they were using bunker busters.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Kaincypher posted:

so far my most annoying bug besides the controls randomly locking up are getting ganked by a mortar while inside a building. Like, middle of the building 2nd floor out of a 5 story building. Not even near a widow or anything. I guess they were using bunker busters.

The wonders of Skelltech

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
To be honest a lot of the game at the moment just feels like a step backwards from Wildlands. The driving is the exact same just slower and less responsive, the animations as mentioned by drkeiscool make you feel sluggish and you can't cancel out of them and as far as I can tell there are less gadgets and the perks are mostly boring as hell stat increases.

I guess Wildlands was also pretty hosed and janky when it released, so hopefully a lot of this gets sorted. And it is still pretty entertaining blasting around with friends in coop.

e] Oh and there's like, no sound or projectile when you fire the underbarrel 40mm, it looks and feels awful.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Counterpoint on vehicles: Motorcycles are loving hilarious and you can launch yourself crazy far if you get some speed and a ramp.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Wildlands jank felt like a faster jank. You can just zoom around in your helicopter/jeep/humvee and then book it on foot for a while while cracking off shots like it's no ones business.

Breakpoints jank feels heavy and slow. Plod along the ground, or get in your vehicle and putter away. Also the helicopter controls feels awful to me. I liked the original style of helicopter from Wildlands even though everyone hated it enough for Ubisoft to patch in a whole new control scheme for them.

I did some Co-op today with my buddy and it was awful. The connection would crash out and then we couldn't reconnect unless we both completely restarted the game. Actually playing was fine. Felt no different than how it felt during the tech test.

EDIT: Are the in game menu's for intel or the shop completely awful for anyone else? I have to double tap things to select, and sometimes I can't move up or down the options.

Also the key rebinding system is really nice except for the things they don't actually let you rebind so I end up being unable to turn right in Erewon unless I want to pause every second so it can load an inspection of the person beside me.

life_source fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 8, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
There is either a DoF problem (which is like the only thing that doesn't have a discrete toggle) or distance textures are just not loading for me ever and it is driving me mad.

I'm thoroughly pleased with what I've played but I do hope it's less of a technical shitshow on launch.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I really like what I have played honestly, and I'll I've done is run around collecting crap and doing side quests. Next time I plan to do my last side quest then move on to then main campaign mission.

Maybe then I'll be able to access pvp?

Either way, this went from totally off my radar to day one purchase for me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i like what i played so far. its feels like of wildlands and the old ghost recons. its also feels a tiny bit like mgs3/5. as i said. i'll probably wait a month or two for all the patches and such to hit.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Have they changed the camera at all from Wildlands? I prefer a free moving camera in stealth games because it's much easier to look at your surroundings (like MGSV)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zushio posted:

Counterpoint on vehicles: Motorcycles are loving hilarious and you can launch yourself crazy far if you get some speed and a ramp.

I landed on top of a tree once.

Like all the way on top, as though I was napping in a bizarrely-placed deer stand. Problem is that it was just a hair too close to a mega-killer drone hut and I got pasted.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Game is quite janky with mouse and keyboard. Menu's are pretty bad. Cosmetics linked to a gear score is a really odd choice. Animations are hit and miss and the MMO-Lite stuff is not necessary.

Despite all that, the moment to moment gameplay is good, the 15 minute loops you got in Wildlands of Scout Outpost -> Plan -> Engage are here and really at these engagement ranges and in 3rd person this is realistically the only game that really has that experience.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Orv posted:

There is either a DoF problem (which is like the only thing that doesn't have a discrete toggle) or distance textures are just not loading for me ever and it is driving me mad.

I'm thoroughly pleased with what I've played but I do hope it's less of a technical shitshow on launch.

It could be both, but I know DoF is busted. The characters in the cutscene for the "go find the boats at the lighthouse" mission were frequently out of focus for me, which was kind of hilarious but also sad.

There's a lot I could say about it but really it all comes down to two things: it is only fun in co-op (but it's really good there), and the moment to moment fights are great but the amount of tedium you have to do in between those moments is really kind of bad.

I kind of like the idea of not using objective markers and putting together dialogue clues and reading maps to find your targets but without streamlining a lot of the other stuff I don't see myself being willing to add yet another voluntary layer of "game gets in the way of having fun playing the game" to my experience. If they can manage a decent enough 1.0 and commit to a long tail of fixes I might check back in a year. There's potential but I'm not buying into yet another service game hoping that potential converts into reality.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 8, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Have they changed the camera at all from Wildlands? I prefer a free moving camera in stealth games because it's much easier to look at your surroundings (like MGSV)

the camera is alot closer to the PC but you can still rotate and such.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Changing sync shot to a consumable (instead of a cooldown) really punches up the difficulty unless you slow your roll and take things careful. I love the way you can basically dismantle a garrison from 200 yds and then get spotted by a loving drone gently caress

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the camera is alot closer to the PC but you can still rotate and such.

Theres an option to change the fov for 3rd personim pretty sure. Unless it was just for 3rd person aiming

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i like what i played so far. its feels like of wildlands and the old ghost recons.

:confused:

i really don't get this: it feels distinctively worse than any other game in the franchise from a control standpoint, and maybe it's just the bizarre lag my ps4 controller seems to be having, but nomad controls like a loving barge in a game where reflexes and responsive movement seem really important. the gunsmith has also been further shrunk down, which i thought was one of the features that makes ghost recon standout these days. the skill system is dramatically improved, and the injury system seems novel, but everything else feels like modern ubisoft: an oversized open world with light rpg systems and a loot system (for some reason???)

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Different strokes for different folkes, I like the way the game controles (for the most part) :shrug:

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Eastbound Spider posted:

Different strokes for different folkes, I like the way the game controles (for the most part) :shrug:

hey, why are you being reasonable? we're supposed to have dumb fights about our opinions!

anyways, i'm glad someone is able to enjoy it. i'll be waiting a while to see how they tweak the game overtime before i buy

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

i logged into division 2 just to get an item from a vendor and played a mission since hey I was in already and there is no contest on how crisp and responsive your agent is versus Nomad in this. To some degree the sort of heavy, sluggish controls sort of slow the pace and that feels kind of deliberate for a GR game over something like Division or whatever, but I don't think that answers all of it.

even things like the menu UI felt a little sluggish, I hope they're working on tuning that up across the board. I could still play it and did just fine for the most part. It does seem to really incentivize sniping from a distance though - mouse aim was the snappiest part of the whole thing so it's pretty easy to get enemies lined up if you don't move around a lot.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I liked what I experienced from the small amount that I played mostly, but I have no clue what the looter shooter aspect was supposed to add. Like it seemed mostly unintrusive but that sort of makes it more baffling why they added it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
It didn't make sense but I did like the loiter shooter aspect. Gave me a reason to keep playing. Wildlands kind of lost me after I had found all the "must have" guns and mods. Now I can try for incrimenental improvement that doesn't matter much.