Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

It's been roughly a century since I last played and now there's a bunch of Episodes, which is fine. It says I should play the them in sequence, but the later missions are clogging up Éowyn (I started a new save). Should I just talk to the guy on the radio and mister sick boy to get it out of the way?

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
You should be fine if you want to do them. I did all three episodes well before finishing the main plot and it didn't matter a bit.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Yeah it's not like the plot matters at all. When I played it the first time, I saw like three different people in cutscenes post their violent mortem because of shuffled missions. The facial mocap is good though, and they've really done a great job at making the cutscenes evoke dumb thrillers with moody, growly operators.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

The next update is Operation Motherland. No details yet

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Does someone at this GR studio have an obsession with content updates and blackmail on Ubi's studio head or what? How are they still going???

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

If all I have the base version of breakpoint am I locked out of anything? I know there were season passes but I never understood what they did and stopped playing after beating the punisher and basically clearing that board.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Psion posted:

Does someone at this GR studio have an obsession with content updates and blackmail on Ubi's studio head or what? How are they still going???
Their update that added R6 teammates / world event had 1.2 million players, which shocked me. (That's also significant because Ubi almost never reveals playerbase numbers.)

There's definitely enough people out there playing these games to make updates worth it, at least by Ubi's standards.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Zachack posted:

If all I have the base version of breakpoint am I locked out of anything? I know there were season passes but I never understood what they did and stopped playing after beating the punisher and basically clearing that board.
the season pass adds an extra mission (Siren's Call), the splinter cell missions (Deep State) and the Red Patriot missions. Plus some early class unlocks and extra guns and stuff. It's actually a decent amount of content and especially worth it if you snag it on sale.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Hey remember this game?

Operation Motherland is called a "Title Update" so it might be free? Something about helping the leader of the Outcasts make Auroa an independent nation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew4iYentkVg

Also some new F2P 100+ player game which looks like Ghost Recon Warzone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilO7FpBmQ1s

Also free original GR game, and the Fallen Ghost DLC for Wildlands for free (PC only)

https://twitter.com/GhostRecon/status/1445478904303525889

Roman fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 5, 2021

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Looks like the new game is entirely a first person perspective now? Looks like the same engine and everything though so that's neat, it's a pretty game engine IMO.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Really?? Is it the same kind of game?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Jack B Nimble posted:

Really?? Is it the same kind of game?
looks like GR Warzone. From the trailer I get a vibe that there will be lots of mission objectives in it, maybe like CoD Warzone's bounties but a bigger variety of them

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I don’t think I’ll ever stop bitching about this game’s slow trace round graphics lagging behind the game’s actual hitscan rounds, and not being able to holster your weapons.

This game has such a great foundation but those details just kill the whole thing.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

So wait, Frontline is... NOT a battle royale? Extraction seems maybe more like a giant GR version of the Division's Dark Zone? You can "win in multiple ways." So a team extracting isn't the end of the game? They really need to elaborate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPoo_7SgyhU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/ghost-recon/breakpoint/news-updates/446yaa3KwJWV8RbpTP6r1k

Motherland looks like a separate mode as "Nomad (your character) has left the island." Also optical camo is back and can be used in the regular game

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Roman posted:

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/ghost-recon/breakpoint/news-updates/446yaa3KwJWV8RbpTP6r1k

Motherland looks like a separate mode as "Nomad (your character) has left the island." Also optical camo is back and can be used in the regular game

Any word on if Breakpoint is getting true next generation ports?

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

in order to ease global tensions, we will give the CIA carte blanché to go hog wild on some russians in the south pacific

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Roman posted:

This looks pretty impressive for a TU-style update, actually, though I think it hinges on how much actual new content they're inserting -- it's smart (on their part) to reset the island and reuse it for a new set of missions, but it all depends on how much fresh content they can stick in.

at worst, fresh coat of paint for another few hours of dunking on nerds from 500m with a tac50. at best, might be good? optical camo with panther sounds broken as hell so I hope it is. just gimme that GRFS experience again.

Eastbound Spider posted:

in order to ease global tensions, we will give the CIA carte blanché to go hog wild on some russians in the south pacific

at least they're doing their part to uphold a plot line tom clancy would be proud of, lmao

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Jose Oquendo posted:

Any word on if Breakpoint is getting true next generation ports?
I don't know about PS5 but Xbox Series X/S has actual gfx updates (not just the fps boost) and like Division 2 its launcher is marked with X/S to show it's enhanced.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Bug fixes and qol including better base jumping

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/ghost-recon/breakpoint/news-updates/2WnL3HthNfghQe72lJfBxd

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

quote:

Jumping is now triggered by holding A (or X) when heading toward a cliff instead of pressing A at the right time.

Wow, that only took forever.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
i'm stupidly hype for this.

It seems to have the VSS Vintorez. Fuuuuck :gizz:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I gave up on this game ages ago but I bought a month of ubisoft connect to play far cry 6 (for about 30 mins) so I'm gonna give this Motherland update a try because it actually looks pretty cool.

I think it comes out in a couple of hours?

Is there gonna be a new option in the main menu to start the new mode or what? It's not locked behind any base game stuff I hope. I don't think I have a save game unless ubi stored it, and I never got very far anyway.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

It's nice that they keep updating one of my favorite trash games (genuinely love it) since I'm not buying any new ubi now that they're doing NFT poo poo.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I noticed that list doesn’t include a couple things:

1. Still can’t holster weapons like in Wildlands, which would draw the camera back for better situational awareness when exploring, along with just making good thematic sense.

2. Fired rounds are still hitscan (bullet drop is accounted for but it’s all calculated instantly) but tracer effects are still slow as hell so if you like sniping then you’ll still be seeing bullet impact splashes happen well before the “bullet” gets there.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

fuf posted:

Is there gonna be a new option in the main menu to start the new mode or what? It's not locked behind any base game stuff I hope. I don't think I have a save game unless ubi stored it, and I never got very far anyway.

Saves are cloud stored so you should be able to resume unless ubisoft connect doesn't keep those for you? episodic content prior to this (stuff like Amber Sky) was all launched from picking a menu option -- if I had to guess they'll be reusing that, but I don't know for sure.

there's an ACR Brown skin as a twitch drop if you watch a drops-enabled streamer for 30 minutes and also some #hashtag loot redemption code thing for ingame cosmetics I think? I don't know but I looked at the tag on twitter and it's nothing but giveaway "follow, retweet, and tag a friend" boosting so nah

e: 47 gig download, okay I missed that part. good thing I started this early

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 2, 2021

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

You get an option to start the new mode on first boot after the update and can switch back and forth in the mission board

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Still having a cool and fun time with this game :shobon:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
It's not perfect but if all you want is to play soldiers, it's hard to beat :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Played a little bit. It's still Breakpoint so nobody's going to do a 180 on this game, but it's much better Breakpoint. Refined, if you will. Yes it still has Breakpoint's fundamental flaws but it makes better use of the game's strengths, too.

that's the one sentence review so there you go, but details:

Focusing mission chains into one geographic area means the tempo is much better; more time doing things and less traveling. Missions or sub-objectives are frequently close enough just taking a car and driving is faster than going to find your helicopter again, plus I'm exploring areas of the map I've never bothered to see before. So far, really good reuse of the map. New enemies add needed variety there.

Downside, well, it's Ubi so collectibles (you guessed it) ... specifically, there's tons of new chests scattered around to unlock upgrade points for the optical camo. Hoping they put down an excess of chests vs points needed, because the idea of scouring the entire island does not fill me with joy. The IR illuminator is kinda interesting but it seems to stay on forever, even when a gun is holstered -- which is hilarious that you have an IR spotlight under your rear end, but also it needs an on/off switch. Squad voice barks could do with some work, mission description text needs a copy edit. Little things like that, mostly.

e: lol at one of Nomad's new voice lines though. Let's just say Bowman isn't the only returning thing from Wildlands...

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 3, 2021

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
If Ubisoft are continuing to develop Ghost Recon games I’d like to see them use this TU as the template, if this mode brought in world parameters and the game had overall more deeper squad integration (enemy AI being able to see your squad members for example) it’d be a really solid experience.

As it stands it’s still more breakpoint but it does feel refined, the story being stripped back works

Still can’t believe this game launched originally with gear score

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Unpopular opinion, but Breakpoint has evolved to be my favorite modern combat sandbox of all time.

The story sucks, the characters suck, the Skell theme in general sucks, but... god drat if it isn't fun to roam around and make mischief (whether as part of a small/dynamic mission, or entirely on my own).

Whether I'm going stealth or loud, the combat feels amazing, and there are always enough different ways to approach a situation that I never seem to get bored.

I'm just diving into Homeland, but everything about it seems good so far.

edit: I do wish the game would let me build a custom class (or, at least, mix and match skills). I'd love to be able to, say, use the good night vision on those stealth fuckers, without having to fully spec as a Pathfinder.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's a lovely Ghost Recon game, but it's a fantastic shootmans military barbie sandbox.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Came back to this for Conquest mode, which is really neat! What isn't neat however is this bizarre as gently caress problem I'm having:

The game is interpreting random control inputs from something. I'm using a PS4 controller on my PC, and the game has native support for it so that shouldn't be an issue. But I'll be walking around and go prone. Or pull out my drone. Or open the map. Or open the objectives board. Or reload. Or activate my class power.

This becomes WAY more frequent playing co-op with a buddy.

I've disabled all keyboard keybinds. I've tried using DS4Windows. I've tried using a PS5 controller. I've tried using just mouse and keyboard. The problem persists no matter what I do, and the fact it gets worse in co-op is just the strangest poo poo I've encountered with a video game.

This never happened when I played before :psyduck:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Need some Playstation pals for this. Add me: joedbaker

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Capn Beeb posted:

Came back to this for Conquest mode, which is really neat! What isn't neat however is this bizarre as gently caress problem I'm having:

The game is interpreting random control inputs from something. I'm using a PS4 controller on my PC, and the game has native support for it so that shouldn't be an issue. But I'll be walking around and go prone. Or pull out my drone. Or open the map. Or open the objectives board. Or reload. Or activate my class power.

This becomes WAY more frequent playing co-op with a buddy.

I've disabled all keyboard keybinds. I've tried using DS4Windows. I've tried using a PS5 controller. I've tried using just mouse and keyboard. The problem persists no matter what I do, and the fact it gets worse in co-op is just the strangest poo poo I've encountered with a video game.

This never happened when I played before :psyduck:

I haven't had this happen to me, but I have had everything but the escape key and movement become unresponsive after setting a sync-shot target, though. I vaguely remember finding complaints similar to yours when I was trying to find out my problem back then so I want to help you because this game's bugs are bizarre sometimes. Anyway, I found this post on the ubisoft forum that might help:

"Go into settings and 3rd party it is the circle with the 3 small circles on
And at the bottom I have one called MSI
There is something called MSI Dynamic Ambient Light, it must be turned off and the same with the one called MSI Vioce Control Mode at the bottom is turned off."

Good luck!

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 14, 2021

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

beats for junkies posted:

I haven't had this happen to me, but I have had everything but the escape key and movement become unresponsive after setting a sync-shot target, though. I vaguely remember finding complaints similar to yours when I was trying to find out my problem back then so I want to help you because this game's bugs are bizarre sometimes. Anyway, I found this post on the ubisoft forum that might help:

"Go into settings and 3rd party it is the circle with the 3 small circles on
And at the bottom I have one called MSI
There is something called MSI Dynamic Ambient Light, it must be turned off and the same with the one called MSI Vioce Control Mode at the bottom is turned off."

Good luck!

Of all the bugs I've ever run into, never have I've seen one that stemmed from the software that controls my case lights :psyboom:

That got it, thanks :haw:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Finished Conquest the other day. A few things I learned:

Behemoths are the way to go for optical camo unlocks; 1000 each for the most part.

New enemies were a mixed bag - mostly good, though. The only real bust was the armored rocket guy, the others were all good at making things more interesting for both stealth and loud base takedowns. And there are some rude surprises to liven things up in the missions, which adds much needed variety.

There's a secret mission with a reference I didn't expect, but it also leads to getting several 2 hour duration, 40% xp boost rations. I imagine that's the only way to get to 99 in any ... well, 'reasonable' timeframe? Unless there's some awesome xp farm I don't know?

for me personally the smallest thing that still made me happy was getting the Future Soldier armor. Equipping that just felt good, but then I'm probably more of a GRFS fan than average. All in all I think my initial impressions hold out - it's a refined, better Breakpoint. Conquest is just long enough it'll probably sit on the edge of 'i want just a little bit more' or 'I wish I was done two zones ago' which is probably a sign they got the length just right.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 15, 2021

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Capn Beeb posted:

Of all the bugs I've ever run into, never have I've seen one that stemmed from the software that controls my case lights :psyboom:

i missed this before, but that's amazing. ubisoft loves random tie-in things that have no real benefit but here we are having them send phantom inputs :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I reinstalled this game last week for Conquest mode, did the first mission for it, and then decided to go back and finish up the campaign because I only had a few missions left. I took down Walker, then did the Ayana Purni/Josiah Hill mission. Then I got sent back to Walker's airfield and had to fight the behemoth again. At least I didn't have to do the Walker fight again: there were only like 4 Wolves inside the building. Push button, watch cutscenes. I liked that Mads' solution at the end was "gently caress it, shut up, let's have a drink."

Then I did all of the Splinter Cell missions in a couple of play sessions because I hadn't done any of it before (made myself finish ep 1 first). Who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to cap a stealth-themed set of missions with an unavoidable fight in a tiny arena against the worst enemies in the game? I want the rest of their life to be a series of annoying inconveniences that just frustrates them to no end every loving day. They almost made up for it when Sam tells Nomad that Echelon "could use a real snake eater like you." I even did a little fist-pump and a "yesss!" because I'm a nerd who loves the little back-and-forth between Splinter Cell and Metal Gear.

I'll probably skip episode 3 and go right to Conquest next because I don't really care about Trey Stone's bullshit, he seems like yet another totally-not-Erik Prince in the Tom Clancy-verse. He sounds like a magnificent rear end in a top hat, so he should be fun to listen to, unlike Skell and Walker and Mads and everyone else. Well, except Ito because she calls Nomad "Brute Squad" and I like that. And Conquest has more Ito so it's a win-win.