Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Psion posted:

There's a secret mission with a reference I didn't expect

Where is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
on Golem Island, go to the missile base in the south tip of the island. There's a boat at a dock on the bottom level, take that and follow the waypoints. You'll know you're on the right boat when Nomad says something and a new mission pops up.

fastest way is probably go to the bivouac nearby and head along the coast until you spot the water entrance to the missile base, then just swim in and steal the target boat.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
just played this for the first time, having never heard of it before. it's a hoot! a bit clumsy in the UI department and undeniably janky, but the overall feel is chill and the graphics are hella pretty. the customizable difficulty stuff is so good

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
Looks like this is on sale on Uplay, but there is very little info on the versions. Do I want just the base game, the year one DLC, or anything else? What the gently caress is the Infiltration Pack? Uplay won’t tell me.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

base game is like, 99% of the content so you're set without any of that stuff, but:

y1 DLC are three mini-campaigns, none of which are essential but they do give some cool stuff. If it's cheap, i'd pick it up. I think they also have a couple extra specializations and I don't know if you get those without it? That's worth looking into. Infiltration pack appears to be some ingame resources, a helicopter, a couple gun reskins that are otherwise store-only. This does not feel significant at all, I'd skip.

ubi is absolutely atrocious at telling you what's in any of these dumb extra DLC packs, probably in an attempt to make people give up and fomo buy it. They did this nonsense with the division 2 as well.

e: also if it matters, ITAD suggests this is not as low a price as they've done recently so it may be worth waiting for the winter sale unless you're really ready to go right now. ~$24 vs $30 for ultimate ed, and GMG has seen a historical low of $21.

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 7, 2021

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The future is now , folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSVoJ0WUQfY

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Fired this game up to test the operation motherland add on, but quit in disgust after noticing that 70% of the new enemies are wearing magical armour that deflects several 50 cal shots. Whats the deal with this? In a "tactical" stealth and sniping focused game, who thinks its a good idea to add a bunch of enemies whos only function is to soak up shots?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I have two reactions to this. The first is the obligatory :laffo:

The second is they actually have a "crypto" game series with WD Legion but they killed that so thoroughly already, they decided to add this stuff to GR Breakpoint of all their properties.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Something tells me the actual devs are less thrilled about this than Ubi HQ, but no. Not a single chance. Glad I got my run through Motherland before this bullshit dropped!

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

what the gently caress even is a ubisoft anyway

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
April fools came early.

Right?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

This is definitely going to be in all their new games including XDefiant. Anyone remember XDefiant?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
It looks like they've taken the lazy option of just doing steam marketplace but with serial numbers rather than actually using crypto, so I guess this could've been much worse :v:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

A week ago: Hey donate here to this conservation effort and get an in game item!

Today: HELL YEAH CRYPTO BAYBEE BLOCKCHAIN

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
Well Psion, you were right on waiting. Gamesplanet has Gold edition for $20. But then this NFT bullshit comes out and I don’t feel great supporting it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Geburan posted:

Well Psion, you were right on waiting. Gamesplanet has Gold edition for $20. But then this NFT bullshit comes out and I don’t feel great supporting it.

Crypto is pretty low on the list of bad poo poo Ubi has done recently. You don't have to participate in the Quartz poo poo if you don't want to.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Geburan posted:

yeah I don't blame you, it puts a real bad taste on everything. It's shoved into a game which has no need for it, by a company that sucks, with an implementation of blockchain that's so stupid it feels like the directive was "ok we want to claim it's decentralized but actually we control everything so reinvent SQL except worse in every way"

i mean blockchain is already bad so them figuring out how to make it worse is impressive, but not in a way they want.

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 8, 2021

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/ubisoft-delists-its-nft-announcement-as-youtube-dislikes-top-22000/

quote:

Ubisoft has delisted its announce trailer for its Ubisoft Quartz platform, following overwhelming backlash that saw it receiving a dislike-like ratio of around 20:1.
lol

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Quickest turn around on an ubisoft fix yet :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Delisting the trailer isn't deep-sixing the idea, it's still visible if you have the link.

You'd think after Discord and all just slammed their face right into the fact that NFTs are a money laundering grift and not actually a valuable idea, they'd figure it out

but alas, no

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 9, 2021

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Psion posted:

Delisting the trailer isn't deep-sixing the idea, it's still visible if you have the link.

You'd think after Discord and all just slammed their face right into the fact that NFTs are a money laundering grift and not actually a valuable idea, they'd figure it out

but alas, no

I've worked at a company before, figuring obvious poo poo out before said poo poo hits the fan seems exceedingly rare, and usually the people making these decisions think their ideas are bulletproof to the bitter end simply because they came from the smartest people they know (themselves)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Psion posted:

but alas, no

It's classic Ubisoft, in a year this'll have become a normal cash shop for cosmetics

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I was wondering why when I watched it yesterday from the link in this thread it said it was unlisted. Amazing.

*edit: over 30k dislikes, 1200 likes. Oof.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

It's classic Ubisoft, in a year this'll have become a normal cash shop for cosmetics

Funniest thing is that Valve has been doing it for 10 years.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ah great. I bought the game, started playing, made it to the first bivouac, then got kicked from the game because of maintenance while I was picking up sidequests. But the game has saved several times until that point (also yay I didn't realize it's an online-only singleplayer game but whatever).

After updating the game I got all the mode selection and intro stuff again. Apparently, my save file is already overwritten with some 1 minute old starting savegame. What the gently caress :argh:

E: Oh this is "normal: https://old.reddit.com/r/GhostRecon/comments/ql0i7w/extremely_important_psa_so_you_dont_lose_your/. Got support to maybe restore my save state from before maintenance but I have no idea how long that will take :(

orcane fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 9, 2021

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MikusR posted:

Funniest thing is that Valve has been doing it for 10 years.

that's the joke, Ubisoft takes a year to turn their dumb mistakes into normal games - they will take a year to turn this thing into a plain rear end cash shop

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

orcane posted:

Got support to maybe restore my save state from before maintenance but I have no idea how long that will take :(

A week later they still didn't get around to this and I just started from scratch the last weekend. :v:

Okay, I know nobody cares about this old game but hey, it was $20 now, not a year or two ago. Turned off the gear level bullshit and I really like the game for virtual soldier Barbie dressup, it's more customizable Wildlands on a prettier map (and the story is slightly less terrible?). The image quality seemed to be overly blurry at times but I found out it's the "temporal injection" option causing this - it's much better now.

Besides the dressup options for myself and my squad, I particularly like how customizable the difficulty is, I wish this was more common in games. There are a few weird parts I faintly remember from playing Wildlands already, like helicopters and aircrafts apparently lack tail rotors/rudder control, or your squad just teleports to you if you take a vehicle that doesn't have enough room, instead of fetching their own vehicle to follow (actually, I remember playing a game where your NPC friends DO fetch a nearby car and follow you, but can't remember which?). In fact, the squad behaviour is as odd as I remember from Wildlands - the game still doesn't try to pretend they live in the same reality as the player, until you're detected. They can walk past enemies and turrets, no matter where the squad mates are they can sync-shoot enemies as long as their targets are in the open or visible from outside of buildings. I understand why this is done, it would be endlessly frustrating to get detected if glitchy AI buddies managed to get spotted by a random patrol and it might be OP to be able to do sync kills of anyone even inside of buildings, but I still would have liked the pretense to be a bit more elaborate this time.

But overall the gameplay is fine(TM) in general and I already learned to skip the map icon collectathons in Ubisoft games after a while. Speaking of which, the map should really have filter options because of how many pins it tries to display at once - main missions, side missions, faction missions, daily repeatable faction missions, missions of post-release campaigns (those particularly suck because you can get minor spoilers out of them if you accidentally go near their activation spots), discovered PoIs, cleared PoIs and unknown PoIs. It's a huge mess. Also I don't mind the light survival mechanics and the bivouac is a nice idea, but there are too many animations (only partially skippable) and clicks if you just want to use it to spawn a vehicle. Also still map/vehicle related, it's silly that flying doesn't uncover the map anymore :argh:

There are also a bunch of weird bugs that apparently have been around forever, then patched, but they still occur to me. Like the part where you can accidentally overwrite your character profile after/"during" server downtime, or a side mission giving you an inferior version of the "panther" class special item (cloaking spray), but for me it doesn't show up as a usable item on other classes so it's just useless (panther can use the strictly superior class item already?). I also managed to get stuck in/below geometry a few times, but nothing major.

It's kind of funny this game got a big revamp and led to Watch_Doge Legion being delayed because it also was too (?) heavily leaning on gear levels and microtransactions. But WDL still got dumped after less than a year of proper updates and this game is still getting support (even if it's now in the form of NFTs). loving Ubisoft :laffo:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Game Developer: Report: Ubisoft CEO compares NFT backlash to microtransaction anger

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

quote:

Yves Guillemot phoned in for a Q&A with Ubisoft Paris employees, something he did not do after last year's sexual harassment scandal.
:capitalism:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'm not sure if I should be surprised by this or not, but apparently Ubisoft has only sold the equivalent of $400 worth of NFTs.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Still too much, every person that bought one should get both a wedgie and a swirly.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Eurogamer: Ubisoft to continue with NFT platform Quartz despite criticism

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I am not shocked it's performed horribly and also not shocked they are yet doubling down on it.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Protocol7 posted:

I am not shocked it's performed horribly and also not shocked they are yet doubling down on it.

I will also not get shocked a few months from now when people forget to be upset about NFTs and Quartz become a solid revenue generator for Ubisoft.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

GyverMac posted:

I will also not get shocked a few months from now when people forget to be upset about NFTs and Quartz become a solid revenue generator for Ubisoft.

It did for Valve.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

MikusR posted:

It did for Valve.

I thought Valve had a pretty staunch anti-NFT stance? Or is this just another joke along the lines of "NFTs in games are just gussied up item marketplaces" and I'm whooshing myself so bad right now?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I took it as the latter. It's just a different way to sell hats.

Also I just tried to finish the Amber Sky questline (the Rainbow Six crossover) and the dumb assholes who "designed" that mission don't deserve better than having to make terrible NFTs for their bosses forever.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Amber Sky isn't so bad with sync shot. Way better than the Terminator event, where you're the only one with a weapon worth a drat when having to rely on the AI for the squad.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The Predator mission in Wildlands was way worse than any of the gimmick missions in Breakpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Jose Oquendo posted:

The Predator mission in Wildlands was way worse than any of the gimmick missions in Breakpoint.

Thanks for the flashbacks.