Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Der Shovel posted:

I only just started but the intro is already a god drat experience. Why didn't they bother animating York smoking? He's just sitting there stationary and they dubbed in "takes a drag from his smoke" noises occasionally.

Swery :psyduck:

Considering that the box for the physical release is in three languages I wonder if they just didn't want to show on-screen marijuana use to avoid having to do separate editions of the game in territories that are more restrictive about that kind of thing. I noticed that they don't actually show York smoking when you use the cigarette items this time and instead it just cuts away to the sky, but he smokes in cutscenes so :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

man nurse posted:

I discovered one of the characters doing something untoward and suspicious as hell in chapter 1. Gonna spoil it in case it turns out to be indicative of later plot. Read at your own risk I guess.

It was between 5 and 6 AM, when the world is still in the red sky otherworld state, I went down to the altar where Lise’s body was found, and Melvin was there just staring at it, dressed in normal clothes instead of uniform. Talking to him just gave a kind of generic “Sorry, can we talk later? I’m kind of tied up at the moment” message.

I did it I cracked the case. I’m onto you!

Quoting myself to say that this did indeed turn out to be a big tip off regarding a late game plot development. Very cool that you can just incidentally stumble across this and come to a conclusion about players in the story way before the plot actually tells you.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The thing is later scenes do show him smoking with an animation, so it feels less like they didn't want to show it and more like they just forgot to put the animation in.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Has the patch fixed the game, or is the blessing still in disguise?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The framerate is awful.
The load times are painful.
Within the first 10 minutes of the actual game I was talking to a magical skeleton man in a painting.
I then met a small town sheriff who talks almost exclusively in movie trailer taglines.
I was accosted by angry squirrels.

This game is amazing.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I wish I was good enough with words to describe how I felt when a squirrel stole my first aid kit

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Aim carefully, Sister...

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I’m not gonna say the framerate is totally fixed but it is a hell of a lot better after today’s patch.

Oh thank god there’s a prompt now to hear what York wants to say while skateboarding instead of him babbling constantly

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 22, 2020

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

man nurse posted:

Quoting myself to say that this did indeed turn out to be a big tip off regarding a late game plot development. Very cool that you can just incidentally stumble across this and come to a conclusion about players in the story way before the plot actually tells you.

It's sort of like in the first game when you could find george watching Becky's house from across the lake and talking some shady poo poo.

Anyway is there a list, like that reddit quest list, that shows where to find what materials yet? For the life of me I can't find catfish skulls and stuff.

EDIT: Okay really weird thing; my friend just started the game and his gun is purple. Mine's black. What determines that?

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 22, 2020

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Nuebot posted:

EDIT: Okay really weird thing; my friend just started the game and his gun is purple. Mine's black. What determines that?

Mine's red. Maybe it's random?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Gort posted:

Mine's red. Maybe it's random?

I hear the color of York's skateboard is determined by your joycon's color, maybe the same goes for your gun?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

CharlestonJew posted:

I hear the color of York's skateboard is determined by your joycon's color, maybe the same goes for your gun?

Left joycon is blue, right one is red. Skateboard is blue, gun is red.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I used a 3rd party pro controller and it was a purple gun, I just assumed it had a wacky color to denote that it was non-lethal like the blue guns in MGSV but that's way cooler.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm playing on an official pro controller (red and blue joycons attached to the Switch which is docked) any my gun is purple.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

The performance does seem improved outside of the town center, which is still pretty awful.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Der Shovel posted:

I'm playing on an official pro controller (red and blue joycons attached to the Switch which is docked) any my gun is purple.

Huh, Red + blue = purple, neat!

What a strange thing to put in the game

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

got a neon green skateboard & neon pink gun, very pleased - have had the game for a while but I haven't even finished chapter 1 yet, spent some time skating around collecting dog skulls; think I'm just gonna blast through the story and some side missions 'cos the crafting elements put me off

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What a strange thing to put in the game

That applies to like 80% of the game :v:

I have to say the patch didn't help performance in any noticeable fashion for me. It still runs like a slideshow way too often, and for instance trying to hunt animals loving sucks when they move in 2 meter skips.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Der Shovel posted:

That applies to like 80% of the game :v:

I have to say the patch didn't help performance in any noticeable fashion for me. It still runs like a slideshow way too often, and for instance trying to hunt animals loving sucks when they move in 2 meter skips.

Squirrels jittering at you in stutter-steps like they just activated their stand on York and stealing your bullets and money is hilarious

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

StarkRavingMad posted:

I’m not gonna say the framerate is totally fixed but it is a hell of a lot better after today’s patch.

Oh thank god there’s a prompt now to hear what York wants to say while skateboarding instead of him babbling constantly

A patch! I'll try playing it again. I stopped because I felt the framerate was ruining the experience for me too. Even a marginal improvement would be great. We will see...

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
The Aaliyah-Simon-Zach sections are starting to grow on me, especially how Simon leans into being Goon Thread Derails incarnate. Like, some people really do have an identity that's 90% arguing about fast food, it's masterfully realist. Reminds me of the multi-character chemistry you had in the police station lunches, back in the first game; imo the York/prequel sections rely a bit too much on him as a sole investigator.

Also hey does anyone have input on which special bullet modes are worth it for the gun? I got the AP High Explosive one from a quest and it was disappointing to say the least.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Bendigeidfran posted:

The Aaliyah-Simon-Zach sections are starting to grow on me, especially how Simon leans into being Goon Thread Derails incarnate. Like, some people really do have an identity that's 90% arguing about fast food, it's masterfully realist. Reminds me of the multi-character chemistry you had in the police station lunches, back in the first game; imo the York/prequel sections rely a bit too much on him as a sole investigator.

Also hey does anyone have input on which special bullet modes are worth it for the gun? I got the AP High Explosive one from a quest and it was disappointing to say the least.

The damage one is amazing, it multiplies rather than adds to your damage. Also if you have armor piercing you can shoot through the doors those big guys carry on their backs which makes them way easier.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

This game is exactly as awkward as I hoped it would be and I love it.
https://twitter.com/Slippery_Steen/status/1284714431083995136

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It really is amazing how much this feels exactly like how a Deadly Premonition 2 should look and sound and play in your head. I feel like virtually nothing was lost.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Grammarchist posted:

This game is exactly as awkward as I hoped it would be and I love it.
https://twitter.com/Slippery_Steen/status/1284714431083995136

I had Martin drive an invisible car into the church. After getting out of his van. This game is super weird and I love it.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
Any advice on hitting the 7-9 split?

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Arkannoyed posted:

Any advice on hitting the 7-9 split?

Getting the ball right between the two pins should do it. There are some items that improve ball control and slow down the power/angle meters as well, a straight shot should be all you need. The Greek Church split at the end took me hours to pull off because I couldn't get the pin action where I needed it.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.

Grammarchist posted:

Getting the ball right between the two pins should do it. There are some items that improve ball control and slow down the power/angle meters as well, a straight shot should be all you need. The Greek Church split at the end took me hours to pull off because I couldn't get the pin action where I needed it.

Straight shot between the pins, you say?
https://twitter.com/MrArkannoyed/status/1286879801056169987

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
These stamps are so obnoxious but gently caress do I want a better suit.

RATS!
Dec 23, 2008

the max speed upgrades own
https://i.imgur.com/Kj9vHTD.gifv

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One lollipop, two lollipops... Oh, don't mind me Zach, that's just how I count the amount of unreal air I get off a sweet ramp.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
"VOHHHHHHHH---"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Houngan watching from a hill far away with binoculars pumping his fist like YEESSS

edit: My headcanon is that Houngan is always watching from around a corner or something just waiting for a plot revelation to happen so that he can pop out of a dumpster or oil drum or nearby car window to HUEH HUEH HUEH at York for a bit.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 26, 2020

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

snoremac posted:

"VOHHHHHHHH---"

The enemy death yells bring cut short never stops being funny.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As much as I appreciate the weirdo nonsense enemies in this game, I can't help but miss the lame worthless "nooooo :(" "let me diiiieeeee :smith:" backwards walking zombies from the first game.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
This game made me happy and the ending was very sweet. I was surprised how Aaliyah becomes sorta sidelined at the end. There's a lot said to get to know her more particularly when Zach's in the bathroom and Simon needles her about her passions in life, but from then on it's all Zach's story. That's not a complaint since I love Zach. Maybe they're laying the groundwork for Aaliyah being the next lead but letting Zach get his proper ending.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Grand Gigas posted:

These stamps are so obnoxious but gently caress do I want a better suit.

I got one suit from them, and it owns. Then I got a second, and it sucked. But now all the easy stamps are done and the rest suck so I'll just call it quits on the stamps. Maybe someone will find some kind of bullshit "do the konami code while skipping rocks to unlock them all" garbage and I won't ever have to get one hundred game overs.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Any one know how to prove you're a bad enough dude to learn the forbidden skateboard trick? I saw a guide say they unlocked it by running into Emma and I've been doing speed+3 Impossibles into her face for like $106.00 fines and it isn't happening.

I'm spending $3000 on assault fines my family is dying please help my budget.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 27, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just do the last trick she taught you like 100 times or whatever the biggest number in the stamp collection is for it. That's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Sorry, was thinking of another split.