Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

Just do the last trick she taught you like 100 times or whatever the biggest number in the stamp collection is for it. That's it.

RIP. I already had that. Maybe it broke because I did the stamps before I even talked to her the last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So am I missing something or am I really supposed to just sleep for five days straight in the hotel to wait for that diner to give me that food they only make on Monday? I've only ever found side quests by accident and the tasks on the bulletin board don't give waypoints (at least I don't think they do) so either I gently caress around trying to find skateboard graffiti or I just turn my hotel into a bunker.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I just got to The Lord STILL Hungers and I honestly don't want to play the game anymore. Should I power through or is this not even close to the end of this bullshit?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I just got to The Lord STILL Hungers and I honestly don't want to play the game anymore. Should I power through or is this not even close to the end of this bullshit?

If you're skipping most side quests then power through. That's the worst of the bullshit.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cowman posted:

If you're skipping most side quests then power through. That's the worst of the bullshit.

Okay cool. Related question: is there a way to make that little red notification bubble telling me how many open quests I have go away, or at least not be a red notification bubble? It bugs the hell out of me.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

Cowman posted:

The slowly following the dog and the girl all over town for like half a loving hour was worse. At least that mission could be looked up online quickly.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

tensai posted:

The slowly following the dog and the girl all over town for like half a loving hour was worse. At least that mission could be looked up online quickly.

The music was good for that bit though!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

eating only apples posted:

The music was good for that bit though!

There was music? Dead silent when I did that part

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Evil Eagle posted:

There was music? Dead silent when I did that part

I remember music, but now that I think about it I think you're right. The "follow the dog" segment was also in the first game and that one had the bombastic, delightfully awkward music throughout. I was definitely remembering that sequence and its weird music choice throughout that whole escapade, so maybe it's an association thing. Maybe York was humming the first game's soundtrack while skateboarding slowly behind the dog and that's what clicked it for me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Grammarchist posted:

I remember music, but now that I think about it I think you're right. The "follow the dog" segment was also in the first game and that one had the bombastic, delightfully awkward music throughout. I was definitely remembering that sequence and its weird music choice throughout that whole escapade, so maybe it's an association thing. Maybe York was humming the first game's soundtrack while skateboarding slowly behind the dog and that's what clicked it for me.

Hell yeah it did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAIlXaOFG_g

It was also Emily's car theme.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

The dog following segment not including the Jet Set Radio knockoff track from the fist game's equivalent segment is perhaps the biggest missed opportunity in Deadly Premonition 2

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Holy christ, how the hell did anyone think "hey let's have the player get attacked by instantly respawning enemies literally all through the night" was a good idea?

I'm trying to do a quest that requires me to be at a place at sunrise, and I've been basically shooting these red motherfuckers at 5 FPS for the past 20 minutes or so, and I slept until 3:30 AM.

E: Great I made it to morning, it auto-triggered a stone throwing minigame and afterwards my UI disappeared. I can't see the mini map, quest indicators or anything else anymore.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 30, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
SNAAARRRFFFF

(Sharpshooter Bonus)
( $1.30)

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Der Shovel posted:

Holy christ, how the hell did anyone think "hey let's have the player get attacked by instantly respawning enemies literally all through the night" was a good idea?

I'm trying to do a quest that requires me to be at a place at sunrise, and I've been basically shooting these red motherfuckers at 5 FPS for the past 20 minutes or so, and I slept until 3:30 AM.

E: Great I made it to morning, it auto-triggered a stone throwing minigame and afterwards my UI disappeared. I can't see the mini map, quest indicators or anything else anymore.

the game told you to be there at 6-8 why did you only sleep until 3:30 am

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I was sad that they took the "hell dogs from the sky" out of the outdoors nighttime experience. That said, I had to maintain a careful, handwritten log of all Xavier's Sunday activities to figure out when he'd be home, or otherwise willing to give me a cocktail outside of regular business hours. Finally managed to catch him sitting in an invisible car on his front lawn where he congratulated me on figuring out the secret.

So the game accomplishes its primary goal of annoying me to the point that I love it.

This game had me sold when the Sheriff tells York that the gun you've been using to kill alligators the entire game is useless against him, because he gave it to you, and York accepts this as if it's tantamount to Directive Four and resorts to throwing a lit cigarette at him a la the Blanka fight from the first game.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Because I didn't the time window and wanted to be there in good time in case the game threw some bullshit my way and I didn't want to waste another day waiting for the sunrise.

But do you really think that's the central point here instead of "oh yeah the nights are filled with endlessly respawning monsters you fight at 5 FPS"?

E: during the boss fight soon afterwards my UI broke again. No indicators of items to pick up, health bars, anything.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 30, 2020

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Just don't go out between 12am-6am honestly. Aside from sidequesting/material grinding, there is no reason to do it. I don't remember the UI disappearing during fights, but there were times when I couldn't shoot or punch and I would have to intentionally get hit by an enemy to regain my ability to fight. At least there are pretty frequent autosaves.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
York's crouchwalking while aiming is extremely cursed. I encourage you all to try it so you can see his cryptid crab legs nearly hit him in the chin with each step

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I don't remember the UI disappearing during fights, but there were times when I couldn't shoot or punch and I would have to intentionally get hit by an enemy to regain my ability to fight. At least there are pretty frequent autosaves.

It's pretty clearly a bug. It's happened to me a couple of times now, and reloading has helped so far. It's weird, all the hotspots disappear, the compass at the top of the screen disappears, the minimap disappears, but things like the skateboard UI still work fine. Just can't tell where interactable hotspots etc are.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Der Shovel posted:

But do you really think that's the central point here instead of "oh yeah the nights are filled with endlessly respawning monsters you fight at 5 FPS"?

I mean, that's exactly how it worked in the first game? And I do think it's kinda cool that an area that's normally completely safe during the day transforms into a nightmarish hellworld after dark

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Also the map is littered with fire barrels that you can light to have a safe zone against enemies to pass the time with smoking or a sleeping bag. :gitgud:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are many things they could've done to convey the nightmarish hellworld thing besides having enemies spawn in a circle around you 10 feet away every thirty seconds. Look at Silent Hill, where there are much fewer monsters but they're way more dangerous etc.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
Still looking for advice on the Cincinnati (7/9) Split. Anybody?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Now that this has been out for a while, did any of the side quests end up being worth doing, or are they all pretty much garbage that reward you with lovely crafting loot?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They're all garbage that rewards you with lovely crafting loot

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
lovely crafting loot and York relating the resolution of every sidequest to some movie he's seen

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Candy's respirator mask looking like a dragonfly was a really cool bit of design, there was nothing in this game on par with Greenvale's city map forming a silhouette of Willie but that was up there.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There's a new patch. Reportedly, a massive improvement.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

SelenicMartian posted:

There's a new patch. Reportedly, a massive improvement.

Really?! Awesome! I’ll check it out! If this patch is as big as it needs to be I’ll definitely buy the game now that I’m done with paper mario!

Found some footage! Definitely a big improvement! I’ll see if they release one more patch before I commit to a purchase:-

https://streamable.com/ech6jc

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 9, 2020

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

TurnipFritter posted:

Now that this has been out for a while, did any of the side quests end up being worth doing, or are they all pretty much garbage that reward you with lovely crafting loot?

One of the quests from the graveyard guy gives you a necklace that basically triples your damage, but even that's not really worth the tedium of having to go through like three or four of those photo albums.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The album thing would have been fun if it were just one or two instead of five. Which kinda sums up a lot of the sidequests tbh

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
And its final reward gives you 10 more inventory slots. Just 10. Each album should have given you 10 and the other rewards should have been put somewhere else.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It seems like the sidequests are largely not worth doing this time around due to their smaller scope, which is a real bummer. The ones in the first game ranged from obtuse to really irritating but at least you got rewarded with more of the charming and odd dialogue with each character you did favors for. Sometimes there were even cutscenes like Emily's disastrous cooking. Here the game makes you do basically busywork and then doesn't really bother with characterization aside from short blurbs before and after.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The game is unfortunately a pale shadow of the original in general, but yeah with the framerate kinda sorta fixed the weakness of the side content immediately comes to the fore as the biggest problem. It really just needed more time in the oven :sigh:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

CJacobs posted:

It seems like the sidequests are largely not worth doing this time around due to their smaller scope, which is a real bummer. The ones in the first game ranged from obtuse to really irritating but at least you got rewarded with more of the charming and odd dialogue with each character you did favors for. Sometimes there were even cutscenes like Emily's disastrous cooking. Here the game makes you do basically busywork and then doesn't really bother with characterization aside from short blurbs before and after.

It was also the way you got the stronger,infinite ammo version of the weapons you were already using and if you didn't get them it made the game more of a slog to play though. So i think Sweary and team tried to remedy that by not having the sidequests reward such rediculously powerful things. Unfortunately now you get basically nothing for them and the sidequests aren't even good now.

Love killing me 30 bees then 30 dogs then 30 gators.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As silly as it sounds, I wish the game had more combat and combat adjacent rewards. Deadly Premonition 1's shooting was an RE4 knockoff that felt pretty limp, but at least it had multiple weapons. In this game where Mr. Alligator is literally your only weapon for the entire duration... yeesh. It's not just limp, it's anemic.

edit: I think DP2 overall really tips juuuust over the edge of the 'charmingly bad' fun factor cliff. Performance issues nonwithstanding because they were surely not part of the intended experience, the game just seems to lack many things that would have brought it back over the line between fun and unfun 'bad'ness. Deadly Premonition 1 is a bad game, but Deadly Premonition 2 is a Bad game. Both of them are in my opinion extremely enjoyable because a game doesn't have to be 'fun' or 'good' on an objective level to be enjoyed, but this one suffers a bit when you're behind the controls versus just watching someone else play through it, and the first game didn't have that problem. After seeing DP1 I wanted to play it for myself. After playing DP2 myself I would rather have watched someone else stream it.

The best comparison I can draw is that Deadly Premonition 1 feels like an Xbox 360 game from the Xbox 360 era it came from. Deadly Premonition 2 feels like an XBLA-only title from the same era, except now it's 2020.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 11, 2020

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I dunno, I loved the experience and felt it was a worthy successor, tech issues notwithstanding. I had a hard time imagining what a follow up to DP would be like, and what we got made me very happy.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I finally started playing this on stream tonight and it's so weird and wonderful so far. I'm loving it.

Can you not see your ingredients (stuff like string/plates/ etc) in the items menu? Is there no way to see what you have?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Little Mac posted:

I finally started playing this on stream tonight and it's so weird and wonderful so far. I'm loving it.

Can you not see your ingredients (stuff like string/plates/ etc) in the items menu? Is there no way to see what you have?

There's a key items/crafting loot tab... somewhere, I don't remember where it is exactly, but it's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/Swery65/status/1293540732200865793?s=20

The devils whispers in2 Zach
The shriveled wisps in2 Zach

The shrewd pelvis is in2 Zach.

Nailed it.

(edit) the lewd shiver piss in2 Zach

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 12, 2020