Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
And I'm actually not even talking about the framerate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

pyrotek posted:

The Switch port of DP1 did get it's bugs fixed. The sound issues are gone now, and I never had a crash, so it isn't impossible.

I'm not magically expecting the framerate to be fixed on Switch, but there is no way my PC couldn't run the game well if it gets a port.

Deadly Premonition 1 literally no longer launches on my newer system so it's the only PC port in recent memory that has actually gotten worse with time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I got two crashes early on in Switch DP1 yesterday, including one during chapter replay where you can't save! But doing a hard reset seems to have fixed it for now (or I was super unlucky).
Anyway, two days!

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Deadly Premonition 1 literally no longer launches on my newer system so it's the only PC port in recent memory that has actually gotten worse with time.

The original also ran fine on my older PC but is unplayable due to crashes on my new one.

I'm not expecting a possible PC port to be perfect. I know it is Deadly Premonition and all, but I'd still expect a port to at least run on PCs made when and if it launches. If not, there is always the option of a refund.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’ve seen the footage of the poor performance and while it’s a shame, I still don’t care enough to let it eclipse my excitement for a whole new town to explore with York and Zach.

My fingers are firmly in my ears, lalalala I don’t care, gonna enjoy the gently caress out of this.

I’m in the minority though. I love the first game a lot, warts and all, and I was prepared to do the same for the sequel.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Please post a lot about it. I really want to hear what more fans of the original think.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jim S was one of the big evangelists of the first game and seems pretty on the fence with respect to it. I'm on the fence as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5veVhdZLu_k

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Not sure I can handle playing a game that makes me tug my collar and say holy yikes at a time like this

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

The original on the 360 is one of my favorite games of all time, but the constant amateurish technical issues in each port and now the sequel are wearing thin. I'm gonna buy it and support Swery, but I'm much more apprehensive having seen the frame rate. I couldn't even play Origins, just driving to the police department the first time was legit embarrassing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zongerian posted:

Not sure I can handle playing a game that makes me tug my collar and say holy yikes at a time like this

It just really makes no sense after The Missing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Which is why I'm waiting until I actually play the game instead of playing Twitter telephone game

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

This is my favorite review quote so far:

"The truth is Deadly Premonition 2 is like watching Nicolas Cage act: an incredibly divisive experience. There are things it does well and there are things it apparently doesn't. There are even elements of it where you just can't tell whether it's genius or nonsense. No video game has ever been so good and so bad at the same time."

https://www.ladbible.com/technology/gaming-deadly-premonition-2-review-the-nicholas-cage-of-video-games-20200708?source=gamingbible

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The performance stuff makes me feel like it'd be okay to wait for 2021 when the exclusivity runs out and it gets ported to something with several times the juice of the Switch.

OBVIOUSLY that won't fix all the bugs, but running and loading faster is probably enough to take the edge off and enjoy the wackier side of issues.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I played through DP1 a lifetime total of 6 times but I think I will hold off on this one until a sale.

also it's a bummer to hear the switch version of DP1 has major issues but not at all surprising. I couldn't finish the PC version because I encountered a game breaking bug.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

This is my favorite review quote so far:

"The truth is Deadly Premonition 2 is like watching Nicolas Cage act: an incredibly divisive experience. There are things it does well and there are things it apparently doesn't. There are even elements of it where you just can't tell whether it's genius or nonsense. No video game has ever been so good and so bad at the same time."

https://www.ladbible.com/technology/gaming-deadly-premonition-2-review-the-nicholas-cage-of-video-games-20200708?source=gamingbible

Ladbible does game reviews now? They've moved on from stealing videos and racist memes?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

No amount of porting DP has fixed its bugs or performance, I wouldn’t hold out for a future port of 2 being miraculously better

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If history is any indication ports will be a tradeoff of framerate in exchange for various other things breaking- at best. That's what we call the swery mixup

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MorningMoon posted:

The performance stuff makes me feel like it'd be okay to wait for 2021 when the exclusivity runs out and it gets ported to something with several times the juice of the Switch.

OBVIOUSLY that won't fix all the bugs, but running and loading faster is probably enough to take the edge off and enjoy the wackier side of issues.

Lol yeah I'm sure a port to something else will fix everything, worked so well for the first game

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I recently played the switch port of DP1, and I was almost surprised how much I still loved. It was almost BETTER than I remembered. DP1 is one of my favorite games ever..... but I might hold off on 2 for the time being. At least wait until people here have played it and see what they say about it.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
alrady got this baby preordered and preloaded so i'm ready for what this game's got to offer, bad AND good......

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

The first game was also incredibly divisive and received mixed reviews from everyone. I'm not surprised the second one is the same way. It's gonna be a janky mess with a bizarre storyline and if it's anything different I'll be genuinely surprised.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah I'll probably get it but I kinda want to replay the first one again. Also going to wait for everyone here to post about it first.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

anybody post this yet
https://twitter.com/MattMcMuscles/status/1280977167745118208
my god

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm going to buy and play this day 1 but please do not use me as a reliable source of advice on whether or not you should get this game because I look at anything SWERY does with rose colored glasses

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
My game isn't going to get here until Tuesday so I'll have to shut my eyes and ears on everything regarding this game.

I do wonder if it's alright to show someone that hasn't played the first though. I guess they could blurt out major spoilers from the first game in the present day parts, but everything we've seen has focused on young York.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I dunno guys I think there might be such a thing as "so bad it's bad"

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

precision posted:

I dunno guys I think there might be such a thing as "so bad it's bad"

sure but i ain't gonna make that judgement call until i play it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

psychoJ posted:

sure but i ain't gonna make that judgement call until i play it

Oh I agree

But man

That framerate lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

https://twitter.com/MattMcMuscles/status/1280977840201183232

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m going to like this game quite a bit, I can already tell

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Started up the Super Great Friend LP after trying to get through the Switch port with too much crashing. Really liked what I played though so I'll probably give 2 a shot after I finish watching the first.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

No Mods No Masters posted:

Jim S was one of the big evangelists of the first game and seems pretty on the fence with respect to it. I'm on the fence as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5veVhdZLu_k

Man, i thought The Missing was a good sign that SWERY took the criticisms after DP1 to heart

How did he manage to gently caress up the exact same topic again

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
As Warren Spector, creator of Deus Ex, once discussed, do not forget games are made by teams. For example, Swery's co-writer isn't the same in DP and The Missing, so it may be as easy as just asking which one returned.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RottenK posted:

Man, i thought The Missing was a good sign that SWERY took the criticisms after DP1 to heart

How did he manage to gently caress up the exact same topic again

I've heard varying accounts from 'the character is constantly misgendered and deadnamed' to 'york only uses their dead name in reference to events that took place in the past when they were using that name, misgenders them once and apologizes, and gets mad when other people misgender them' so, it might just be a person writing something that is somewhat clumsy and people having varying opinions on it, instead of a monument to transphobia

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I'm just going to assume there's a standup comedy mini game and if you do bad York has a meltdown because of a trans person on their phone in the audience

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RisingStarGames/status/1281161446672470017

Hopefully, they will fix the framerate.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
To be fair, with that framerate in my product I'd be drinking too.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Endorph posted:

I've heard varying accounts from 'the character is constantly misgendered and deadnamed' to 'york only uses their dead name in reference to events that took place in the past when they were using that name, misgenders them once and apologizes, and gets mad when other people misgender them' so, it might just be a person writing something that is somewhat clumsy and people having varying opinions on it, instead of a monument to transphobia

i don't think that it's transophobia, just a fuckup. to me The Missing was a clear sign that Swery cared to try and do better, and yeah York does explicitly speak out in favor of trans people and agaist transophobia, so the deadnaming stuff (and I also saw a review mention that the same character suffers a tragic fate that might be somehow related to their gender identity) looks like Swery just didn't know that it will make this storyline look questionable

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, the deadnaming stuff is actually a cultural difference thing. It's perceived a lot differently in Japan. And even in the US, there's plenty of trans people who don't think it should be like, a closed avenue of storytelling or anything, depending on how its handled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Ok this is really encouraging, I hope they fix it, if they bring the framerate and technical issues back to an acceptable level I'll definitely put this game back on my 'to buy' list a few months from now.