Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

https://twitter.com/brother_Buddha/status/1462881152331616259?s=20

They probably wouldn't put up a Bela page if she was mashadar'd

I hadn't thought about the hammer and axe in years. But this reminded me that it's total bullshit! The axe is a tool of creation! Without an axe you could not fell trees, you could not hew logs and make buildings or other tools. The axe was historically one of the most important tools in existence. It was used for logging as well as woodworking of all sorts. You can do a lot with an axe that nowadays you'd have a bunch of other tools for instead (chisels, saws, planes). But back then, iron and steel in particular was expensive. So people developed skill with the axe for making everyhting.

So to me, the axe is possibly more a tool of creation than a hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

bio347 posted:

Perrin's axe is, like, specifically a spiked battle axe, which is maybe less suited for typical production work. Or perhaps not, and it's just colouring his perception. And in the books he totally assaults Malden using the hammer as a weapon (and then makes a warhammer). It's never overtly pointed out, I don't think, but there's absolutely something intentional there.

Yeah I remember that too on closer thought. Been a long time. A tool or a weapon is what you use it for. Still that text in the picture is what set me off.

CainFortea posted:

A bearded axe, like the type used in combat, is really crappy at doing wood work though. Which did make it kind of weird when that axe was just sitting next to the wood pile.

A wide bearded axe is actually good for hewing logs and doing log house joinery. This is my hewing axe and some of the work I did with it last summer, just gonna link instead of inlining it, don't wanna drag this too much off-topic. I'm a bit of an axe maniac I guess:

https://i.imgur.com/tyFqsm3h.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/dHV9waih.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7SmmBZR.jpg

Check out the Gransfors hewing axe for a modern example. Sorta looks like a battle axe, though I'd say a proper battle axe would be a lot lighter than an axe you use for actual work.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

CainFortea posted:

Only the final link worked, and the blade of the axe is burried in wood. :D

But yea, those Gransfors have like, a soul patch of a beard compared to the thing Perrin is wielding in the show.

Can't figure out those links, they work if I inline them, but neither showed the axe so here's a close up of the blade:

And sure that's not the biggest beard either. I can't remember what perrins axe looked like right now. Still I know hewing axes can have some pretty long beards, but I think forms of battle axes win that anyway. There are also quite small battle "hatches", not my area of expertise though.

Here's one model of hewing axe that's pretty extreme, but I don't remember how it compares to Perrins in the show right now...

P.S. if you like old axes, check this out:
https://www.facebook.com/finnishaxes/posts/1481040985370560/

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Nitrousoxide posted:

To a blacksmith, a hammer is definitely a tool of creation.

I do some blacksmithing too (eventually I wanna make my own axes and hammers), so I definitely see that point. To me they are both tools of creation, in their own ways. And both work as weapons too.

latinotwink1997 posted:

Ok, I’m listening.

Annnnd you lost me.

Debating the axe is not an instrument of destruction and then your first example being the destruction of a life form really wasn’t the best. The rest worked fairly well though, the differences between a wood axe and a bearded axe notwithstanding.

I don't really consider it destruction I guess. More like harvesting. And bearded axes can be woodworking instruments as noted.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Nihilarian posted:

They've changed some things but there is absolutely no way they cut Seanchan. The effects of that would be beyond gargantuan.

God I hate the seanchan so much though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I also had the same experience, first go around I hated Nynaeve but not on the 2nd.

I am listening to the eye of the world again, I dunno if I will make a 3rd time around though, but I liked EOTW, it has a different feel from the later novels IMO, I also like the two rivers stuff. Just a nice and homey place, makes me feel nice.

Now on the 3rd time I am getting a bit irritated at her butting in when Rand, Mat and whathisname where talking about what the peddler just told the village about wars and false dragons and she's telling them off for discussing it. Like wtf Nynaeve, can't they even talk about stuff that's actually happening the world?

Also Cenn Buie, he reminded me that I a friend of mine knows how to make thatched roofs and teaches it from time to time, so that skill is still not yet dead.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 29, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Still on eye of the world and I get the distinct impression that book Egwene does a lot more mistakes than show Egwene does. She feels more judgey and less competent than her show counterpart so far.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I expect they'll cut the Sea Folk almost entirely. Boats are really expensive to film on.

They where also loving annoying. Not seanchan levels of frustration but that whole "hard deal brokers" mostly made them come off as assholes. Which I grant is realistic!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mage_Boy posted:

I'm slowly going through this Rosamund Pike EotW (because I've been training people at work the last few days so I've had less audio book time.) She actually sings Thom's song in Baerlon. I kinda want her to do all the books so she can sing every song in the series. In a way her reading reminds me of full cast stuff because she takes acting out each part very seriously.

Don't like the way she pronounces Tar Valon in this read, I am used to the old one by Michael Kramer and Kate Reading. I wonder how many other differences like that I will react to.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Perrin personally chopping off a guy's hands will mirror Eamon Valda S1, that's pretty loving cool

Right about the same time Galad is killing Valda

The threat he makes there to that guy and his companions is pretty hard core. Scarier than Valda.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

silvergoose posted:

If I wanted a 1:1 adaptation of eotw I would listen to it yet again

Which I will probably do, after I buy the Pike version.

Reminds me, just wow the hell does she pronounce skeletal.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah Lan is very understated in the show, I wanna see more hyper-competent swordsmanship. And him mourning over Stepin was just meh to me, so forgettable I had to look up his name just now. I mostly remembered what stupid weapons he had, felt so loving Xena at the time I expected a chakram flying and "Ayiyiiyiyiyiyi" in the next scene.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jedit posted:

The number of people here who aren't thinking that the hosed up mad part is when he posed the bodies like dolls in positions of supplication is deeply disturbing. Like, you're all rushing to say "but he only thought they were Darkfriends, so he's kinda paranoid isn't he?" when he's literally acting like a serial killer.

That's ridiculous, he can easily kill more than one person at a time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

MegaZeroX posted:

Yeah, showing the warder bond stuff is super important since so many plot points in the series revolve around it. The episode makes it pretty clear that it isn't something to take lightly.

I really think they could've done that with a few short scenes. Stepin died on the way back to his home planet.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I didn't really think ep 6 lived up to the hype. I'm starting to feel less invested in this show as time goes on tbh.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Huh what? The dagger stuff isn't resolved until book 3 for mats sake, definitely felt rushed to me.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

eke out posted:

it would be extremely funny if it played out like in the books and everyone is just incredibly horny and deferential to her while she says things that make it incredibly clear she's evil

was she doing her low level compulsion thing there? i forget

I am pretty sure she was, it was really obvious when egwene meets her in the tower.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's always sunny in shayol ghul

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Rarity posted:

Yeah Faile's the only one of our core characters to not be super special in some way and she still gets a bunch of poo poo done by going 'This will work because I'm goddam Faile'. If you look at her outside her relationship with Perrin she's awesome

Faileing upwards

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Rand learning toxic masculinity from Lan and then having to find a way out of it is, like, the crux of his entire arc. If that's not happening... what exactly is Rand's arc, now?

Hell, what's Lan's arc? If this is where he starts, where has he got to go?

Again someone puts a finger on something that bothered me, but which I couldn't pin down.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Finished book three, I really liked the Perrin scene with him doing blacksmith work, it was well done.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

SirSamVimes posted:

"Matrim Cauthin is my bloody husband. That is the wording you used, correct?"

Tuon owns. At least she would if it weren't for the imperial slave-holding nation she's empress of.

And she herself is a sul'dam who enjoys breaking women (basically the most horrific kind of abuse and torture you can imagine). Tuon's a piece of poo poo tbh and she never grows in the book.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Devorum posted:

Yeah, it's definitely there in the books during their portion of the trek, but it's never shown before or after. It feels like something Jordan considered exploring and then kind of dropped. Or it was just a trauma response to them being the only two known survivors of Shadar Logoth.

It's also been there since Episode 1 in the show, and I'm confused as to how anyone could miss it. They weren't exactly subtle with the long looks and the dialogue. My non-reader wife mentioned it during the first episode so it wasn't just me seeing it.

The insertion/amplification of this plotline is pretty unfortunate and unnecessary. Love Triangle = Good Drama is the laziest bullshit.

I guess it was just me who interpreted that as a non-romantic love from the start, I never ever got the impression otherwise in the books. Nor in the show until the last ep.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

DarkHorse posted:

I think I've figured out what annoys me about Perrin's appearance, and it's that he has a slack jawed open-mouthed slouch most of the time

I hope we get him working out complicated problems with solutions that seem effortless and simple, like his analogy with blacksmith puzzles. Also his crazy strength- i though they were going to show him and Loial moving those stones that Uno and the other guy were struggling with relative ease.

Right now he really just seems simple and thick. :(

I am on book four and I am at the stage where book Perrin is going all natural leader and taking charge without thinking about it and convincing people to do as he says with hs words and "ta'vereness" and I realized there's just no way in hell show Perrin is gonna be able to do any of that.

I dunno how Perrin came off in this last episode because I have not seen it but I doubt it's gonna be the episode to change my mind.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Ooo laddy, strap in.

Sorry, I couldn't finish the episode. I'm done.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

jetz0r posted:

Every Dragon is also the Dragon Reborn as long as there's a memory of the Dragon left.

Yeah, that felt extremely wrong to me. It's not a surprise apocalyptic retaliation to punish desperate hubris if you knew it was going to happen, the it's a choice to start that apocalypse out of desperation.

I was expecting that whole cold open to transition to the book 1 prologue at some point, so just getting what we got was disappointing. I bet the book prologue is being saved for when we're shown that Ishmael isn't the dark one. Because it would give the game away to have the same actor teasing an insane LTT after we're seen him pretending to be the dark one. The show still has to pretend that he's the the personification of the TDO for a bit longer. We'll probably get some LTT flash backs, including the strike at shayol ghoul spread out over a few seasons before showing him and LTT together when we find out that he's just a forsaken working his plans to reunite the Dragon and TDO.

The show putting on these pretenses like this and the whole who is the dragon reborn "mystery" just tied it's hands and didn't make anything about it better just worse IMO, the books handled the ishamael/TDO stuff just fine and the show could've copied it over to TV format no problem I think.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

In book 1 I think he used the eye to wipe out the trolloc army and burn ishamael to a crisp, he did have a view of the thing then as if he was big as a mountain but he was not seen as in over falme.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Gully Foyle posted:

I think one of the reasons that they didnt have Rand teleport to the Gap is that it might be confusing to viewers why he then doesn't start teleporting until like whatever season book 4/5 falls into. In the books we are in Rands head so we know he is not doing these things consciously. Harder to convey that in a show.

No chance of them doing falme in the sky then either.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

SerSpook posted:

its why she's objectively the best character

Flawed characters are the best.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Khizan posted:

This depends. Lanfear wove a purposefully lovely shield on Asmodean to restrict him while leaving him able to channel enough to teach. Moghedien, on the other hand, hit Liandrin with a ridiculously complicated invisible shield that's really worse than stilling her, because healing stilling is still easier than unpicking some undetectable triple knotted supershield.

Still her, then heal her, I assume that'd remove the shield. But you know, it's (book) Liandrin, why'd you want to?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Hollismason posted:

I kind of wonder how they're going to depict Rands descent into Madness. He's pretty bugfuck crazy towards the end of Dragon Reborn, where we really don't even see him. He's not super crazy in The Great Hunt though.

I interpreted it as he was being really strained in TDR, it was still new to him, the dream stuff was getting really bad for him and so much poo poo happening, that he was breaking mentally but not from the taint.

On book 5 now and where Moiraine gives him his oath to obey him and only give advice because he's just not trusting her at all and is incredibly two-rivers stubborn to boot. I don't think that will make it into the show.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

MegaZeroX posted:

https://twitter.com/iamdanielmalik/status/1476645744681664512

While this isn't an official announcement:

1) He was a popular fancast
2) He has worked with the network before (on The Expanse)
3) He isn't a high payroll actor
4) He is free right now
5) If nothing else, this post expresses strong interest in the roll
6) Its unlikely they have someone else for the roll unless Taim makes a season 2 appearance, and the roll is unlikely to be cut or merged

Unless he has major conflicts with the show's crew this is basically as good as confirmed.

I think they'll cut that scene

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Almost done wi th fires of heaven and my main impression from this book is

-LOL Nynaeve, she's done nothing but getting into fights with other women the whole book.
-I still feel sorry for her when Egwene bosses her around in the dreamworld though

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Nitrousoxide posted:

Are darkfriends even going to be a thing in the 4th age? The Dark One is cut off from the world again and can't promise anything new or deliver on any previous promises anymore. You might still have existing darkfriends trying to somehow free him again, maybe, but there's nothing to entice new ones and they'd all but die off in a generation.

What would even a reformed Whitecloak org even do in the 4th age other than find "darkfriends" where none exist to continue to justify their existance.

Don't think he is, he will be forgotten eventually. But there will be some inertia.

One thing I wondered about is the halfmen, they supposedly got their powers from the dark one, like now he's gone, are they flailing around blind?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Ah yes Ebour Dar now, it's a pretty vile society, suited for the seanchan really.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

BananaNutkins posted:

I hated that they wasted a lot of the first season on the completely pointless mystery of who the Dragon Reborn might be. It's been over a decade since I read the Eye of the World, but I don't remember that being much of a thing, and I'm 99% certain there's no talk about the Dragon Reborn possibly being one of the girls--in terms of plot, it's stupid and pointless because of the tainted male half of the One power.

I hate Moraine's voice over exposition in episode one. It's so ineffective. Not just here. Its pointless in every movie or show that has ever done it. It's not engaging in any way--it doesn't grab attention, and the info dumped is never actually necessary to understanding the story. The Lews Therin prologue would have been much better. I would have done a whole episode of just Lews Therin. And screw that late season 3000 years ago flashback. Without Glen riding to the moon on the back of an eagle and other references, there's no cool build up and no feeling of revelation.

My wife liked the show more than the Witcher season 1, and I did too, but it was difficult seeing things that should have been easy butchered.

I agree with most of your points and I would like to add I think WoT should've had a proper old style long season, at least 16 eps per season. WoT is the kind of show where there's always enough material, they'd still have to cut things. I also think it kinda needs episodes that deviate from the main story a little too. They flesh out the universe and make the whole thing feel more complete. This slimming down of show seasons isn't doing any favors to stories like WoT. It's got a very late stage capitalism feel to it.

If you want to cut there's plenty in later books, but the first ones are important to set the feel and universe.

A similar discussion came up in the TVIV B5 thread re: the planned reboot, if you tried to do B5 in an 8 episode season format it wouldn't be anywhere near as good.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I think they should just stop giving a poo poo about getting the actors back and just replace them when needed.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

At least it nuked the seanchan

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Urgh, got to my least favorite part of the entire series, Rands final showdown with Tuon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

jng2058 posted:

Thing is, Mesaana doesn't really DO anything. She lets Alviarin meddle a little, but mostly just keeps her head down and lets Elaida do all the real damage all by herself. Semirhage, on the other hand, gets her hands dirty killing the entire royal family of Seanchan (save Tuon), which takes an entire continent of armies and enslaved channelers off the board. The Seanchan in Westlands ain't getting reinforcements ever, not even once they learn Travelling and could go back home in an instant if they wanted to. The Seanchan Empire is hosed, and that was all Semirhage. Secondly, her sadism in using Rand to try to kill Min gets him to tap the True Power through his link with Moridin. That corruption, along with the psychological scars, push him into becoming Darth Rand for most of TGS, and if Rand's powers hadn't faltered at the exact moment he tried to Balefire-Nuke Ebou Dar, she would have turned him to the Dark and won the whole thing for the Dark One once and for all.

By comparison, Mesaana twiddling her thumbs in the Tower, sipping tea, and watching the Aes Sedai tear themselves apart has negligible impact, especially since Egwene reverses all her progress in the span of an afternoon. Even if Rand managed to de-Darth himself, the Seanchan Empire is still hosed at the end of the series, after all.

It's probably the nicest thing Semiraghe ever did