Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
The evil Ajah will be Plaid as the natural corruption of the stripes of the Amyrlin/Accepted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Jaxyon posted:

Counterpoint: The darth vader actor under the helmet made less than the guy doing voiceover.

And only Star Wars nerds can name/recognize him.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

jng2058 posted:

You do you, but my favorite experience watching Babylon 5 was in a conference room at the Chicago ComicCon getting to see The Long Twilight Struggle months ahead of its official airing. The energy in the room was amazing, and I'm glad I got to share that with my fellow B5 fans. I expect it to be much the same with fellow WoT fans.

To put it another way, I'll be able to watch the first two episodes of WoT at home for years to come. I'll be able to see it in a movie theater with hundreds of fellow fans only this once.

In 2003 I went with a friend to see the Return of the King as an all-day "Trilogy Tuesday" event with a midnight showing following the extended cuts of the first two movies. All day event starting in the early afternoon, meal breaks between with some concessions space set up for it. Packed house, lots of audience energy even at 3am when everyone had been there for like 14 hours. I don't recall seeing so much theater-wide cheering at a movie before or since. Oh, and got a collectable set of three 35mm frames from the movies like this:

I wouldn't do that for just anything. I don't know that I'd do it for WoT like I would for LotR since that was always my first fantasy love. But if it's your thing it's not a chance you'll likely get again.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Thordain posted:

Huh, that's interesting, I would have expected them to start at least a book a season since the first trilogy seems like the easiest to translate to tv. I guess there are large chunks of 'politics' in the middle that can be simplified.

It sounds like events are being reordered more than especially compressed. Elayne wasn't even cast until season 2 and it sounds like Mat's cursed dagger might be wrapped up by the end of season 1 (just in time for the replacement actor to roll in.) None of that says for sure exactly how much is compressed, vs just swapped around.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Jaxyon posted:

I haven't followed the cowboy bebop stuff closely beyond they seem to be doing shot-for-shot of the series and that was never going to please fans because it's too close to the original format that people think is perfect. We'll see.

While WOT has always just been text and sorta a video game.

One description I saw of the typical Cowboy Bebop review is "It wasn't everything I dreamed of but I enjoyed myself so it was bad actually." Which is always an issue in adapting or remaking something beloved, but standards are usually lower going from page to screen than from one screen adaptation to another.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

eke out posted:

they're probably just not saying the words because there's already too many weird sounding words to introduce new people to and there's no need to do saidar/saidin yet

It really sounds like something the show should get into explaining once Rand's undeniably aware he's a channeller and Egwene/Nynaeve get some formal Tower training. Before then casual viewers don't need to know more than that magic drives only men insane.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

seaborgium posted:

They kept records of the trials and gentlings of course, so they knew how many but only the Browns would look into it. Taim and Logain are the only ones that matter really, so maybe it'll be in the side videos they're doing.

In the moment before I read this and remembered the Amazon bonus videos I was just picturing the Browns having some quiet concerns about Red Ajah TikTok metadata.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

The Glumslinger posted:

GOT didn't actually have huge on screen battles until the end of season 2. It was a whole running joke until Blackwater

And they weren't trying to film in the covid era.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
Nynaeve's healing being super-glowy fits with her using a special weave different than everyone else's anyway.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

how do I knuckle my mustaches

Sounds similar to a beard slap?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Rarity posted:

I really want to know how much homophobia is a thing in the show's version of this world. Like, would Elayne go through a whole journey of discovering her sexuality and coming out or is everyone just like 'oh hey you're cute let's bone?'

The Darkfriend in episode 3 was like "oh, I thought you two were a couple" to Rand and Mat while still trying to avoid suspicion so that means it's nothing that scandalous some places. Even in the books, lesbian relationships are a common thing in Tower training so with it being traditional to send the Andorian Daughter-Heir there everyone in Elayne's line would have encountered it growing up whether they took part or not. Which doesn't mean much for the public perspective, but it does for the royal culture aspect.

I'm sure there's a strong push of "Whoever you love you'd better make some heirs" for royalty even in gay-friendly cultures, but in a poly relationship with a man involved that's clearly no problem.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Hexel posted:

What do we think is going on here?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
The Thom/Moiraine talk reminds me of how I was giving a non book-reading friend some background on the various cultures and political approach and how Moiraine's from a country known for its elaborate backstabbing politics. We laughed a little over how the "Game of Houses" name comes off even knowing WoT came before ASOIAF and it makes me wonder if they'll shy from that particular term in the show.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

withak posted:

Maybe similar to how they did Logain’s: CGI ghost literally whispering in his ear.

CG's needless expense when you can just do the BSG style imaginary friend.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

it is kind of annoying that there's a magic system referred to as The One Power for several books and then it turns out to be a misnomer because there's Another Power

It's a little like this.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Hexel posted:

The Battle of the Bastards and the Winds of Winter are the highest rated episodes on IMDB, so I guess post book material can do well if done right.

Yeah, the post-book material mostly came apart once they decided to speedrun everything. The parts they gave chance to develop included some strong content.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
Moiraine and Siuan are obviously bigger in terms of story development and representation, but I was more caught off guard by Liandrin's male captain finding Northharbor.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Re: Liandrin, I figured it was a male relative or something that could channel. I guess it could be a lover :shrug:

Oh, it definitely could be one of those other things, but the thread title took me right here.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Johnny Joestar posted:

just based on going through responses to the series from people who have never read the books, the things the show is doing are smart from that perspective in terms of giving viewers things to get interested in and giving them things to theorize about

In particular, a lot of non book readers seem to love many things book readers are upset about. They like Stepin's story including Lan's funeral performance. They like (to hate) Valda and the Whitecloaks as presented. They like Mat despite his being an actual thief to start, in part because his apparently rough and poor home life and care for his sisters make it sympathetic. They enjoy the mystery of Perrin's wolf thing happening, without having met a guy that lives with wolves and explains "Oh you're like me, this is your future." They feel intensely for him having accidentally killed a loved one. The first view of a big city and powerful people being the White Tower rather than Caemlyn has them intensely interested in what's going on with the Aes Sedai's internal politics. What's been omitted doesn't really seem to leave them confused about the world or the character stories, apart from the very deliberate choice of making the identity of the Dragon Reborn more mysterious. They seem to have pretty accurate views of who the main characters are at this point of the story, and seem to be on the right track in guessing how the world and channeling work.

I mean, you could argue that they're missing out on cool things that were in the book and that's fine to believe, but the changes seem both:
1. Engaging to the non-reader, which is the big one
2. Small enough in the grand scheme of things that if it continues on the current trend, at the end of the season you could give a non-reader a copy of TGH and say "Yeah, in the book they stopped at Caemlyn and Rand met Elayne, the princess of Andor" and they won't be that confused by the rest of the series.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Lord Koth posted:

This is rather disingenuous, because it's positing that non-book readers wouldn't have liked character beats that stuck closer to the book just as much. Like, the plucky rogue is an eminently popular archetype in media, and they don't remotely need a broken home in their backstory to make them so. And yes, the Stepin stuff is designed to pluck at emotional heartstrings, so of course a bunch of people with no knowledge of the material like it - but it's also a huge waste of time when there are still major issues with character presentation for actual important ones rather than someone that's basically never going to come up again. Like, just as an example, giving more emphasis to Thom helping the boys before apparently dying, and then Rand picking up and learning his flute as something of a memorial - you've now both added more facets to an actual important one, along with still keeping an emotional moment if you want. Hell, this actually might have worked somewhat going forward rather than as a one-off, as Rand absolutely keeps the flute around for a while as an emotional touchstone for what could have been compared to everything related to being the Dragon Reborn.

Mat's had a fair bit of character so far, but Perrin's had very little other than being mopey - and yes, his character in the books is rather dull at this point too, but it's something they could have improved on in a way other than the fridging - and Rand, despite having the second most lines in the entire series so far, is still incredibly bland and almost entirely generic nice guy (or apparently vaguely abusive boyfriend, according to some people). He absolutely should have had something before the Dragon Reborn revelation - whether that be swordfighting or an instrument or something, but it really feels that in trying to deflect attention from him they've basically made his character as bland as they possibly could. Which is absolutely going to cause complaints from at least some people who don't appreciate just how horrible this "hero" role is when it's revealed.

Sure, you could have made a more direct and literal adaptation that the audience would have liked more. Most just would have fallen into the categories of "Things the audience likes just as much but take twice as long to tell," "Things the audience likes as much but cost more to film", and "things it's actually hard to make the audience like as much because the books did them through lengthy internal monologue of POV characters instead of any sort of actual events." I grant that Rand's TV dullness is pretty book-accurate (seriously how far do you get in before he does more moping and being a gawking bumpkin), but it seems to me that non-readers I've heard from find Perrin plenty appealing. I grant, I would have liked to see more Thom. If they got the two-hour pilot or extra episodes they wanted I wonder if he would have been in the Two Rivers, or if introducing him later was an early decision. Though I guess one thing the TV take isn't lacking compared to the book is adults in the limelight.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Hughmoris posted:

:hai:

Machin Shin in the books: "Flesh so fine, so fine to tear, to gnash the skin; skin to strip, to plait, so nice to plait the strips, so nice, so red the drops that fall; blood so red, so red, so sweet; sweet screams, pretty screams, singing screams, scream your song, sing your screams..."

Machin Shin in the show: "Why did you volunteer to write that log4j script? You don't know PowerShell. You can't remember the syntax to loop through objects. You're going to hard-lock your computer"

It's become that "dog that can hurt you in other ways" meme and I'm good with that.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
That said, "They're both big, and they both brood" was still the line of the episode.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

There's a repeated theme where pretty much any time antagonists and generally lovely people in the books do bad things that show they are awful people, someone says "Here's hoping that gets pulled out of the adaptation."

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Mat Cauthon posted:

I mean, the Seanchan are the embodiment of a society so slavishly adherent to their perceived ideals of the AOL (through Hawkings ascension as the heir to that age) that they are easily corrupted and wielded to sow no small measure of suffering and discord. On an individual level there are some who are exceptions, mostly by coincidence (Tuon) or those who shake their imperial brainwashing (Egeanin/Leilwin) but on the whole they're very bad people.

The show should definitely keep that.

Pretty much. The Seanchan are an awful authoritarian society built on slavery and the only thing keeping them from being the prime antagonists of the series is the literal supernatural incarnation of evil attempting to destroy the world. The books don't really sugarcoat this fact, even if they still express that they are still humans who can vary in their attitudes and be individually redeemed from abhorrent cultural norms. I hope the show keeps that.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Ok, quote this post by midnight Christmas EST if you want this gangtag added to your profile:

Few rules:

if you already have three gangtags you'll have to ask me to wipe one of them to replace it with this one
the gangtag will link back to this thread
Some people have grandfathered code in their profiles, no guarantees if you're one of those but I'll try to avoid loving it up

I've got a lack of gang tags so why not, hit me.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
Given most of the show-only people I've seen talking about the show seem to have a pretty decent grasp on how the world, characters, and plot work, I'm not really sure where all the "You'd be lost without the books" thing comes from. I mean, there's some stuff that hasn't come up yet, and there's some questions of "What does this part mean, is that important?" but I don't see an easy way around those given the book dedicates a massive page count to repeated explanations of background elements in inner monologue and outer dialogue alike. You could do that level of hand-holding in a TV show but I don't think it would be well-received.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

What major changes were made because of this? Because I can't think of any outside of characters saying "it might be any one of them!" and the major plot beats of the season are the same as the book.

We got focus on how Nynaeve is a really powerful channeler, that Egwene is ambitious and clever, that Perrin has some sort of wolf thing going on, and that Mat has some sort of darkness linked to him. You know, nothing from the books.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
Also got to Rhuidean last night, and still appreciating there being some WoT memes out there.

Saw this one as "Another turning of the Wheel" and it took me back to that :wtc: scene later on.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

It's not very accurate, so the count must be higher. I ran into an arms crossed beneath breasts line in The Great Hunt within minutes of last time I saw the chart.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

CainFortea posted:

Try "Crossed her arms"

You can almost look up "her breasts" since the word is hardly used otherwise in most of the books, but only almost, while the rest of the phrase varies.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Nitrousoxide posted:

In the books, isn't Snakes and Foxes a children's game that can only be beaten if someone cheats?

Real life hunt games like fox and geese work that way too. The balance differs depending on the exact game but it's always lopsided so that the same side always wins with reasonably skilled play.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

jng2058 posted:

That's a possibility, but since the last we see of Rand he seems to be emerging from the Blight into the Waste, my guess is that while everyone else, save Moriaine and Lan, is doing The Great Hunt, Rand's getting a solo adventure reminiscent of his travels by himself in The Dragon Reborn. But since in the book we only get glimpses and aftermath of Rand's passage, the show is taking advantage of the relatively blank slate to give him more to do, just like they added the "Shielded Moiraine" thing to give Lan and Moiraine something to do in season two.

I'd wager that instead of him attacking the Stone at the same time as the Aiel and them deciding out of the blue to follow him afterwards, he'll make contact with a smaller number of Aiel in the Waste, probably just the Taardad, maybe just a single sept. He'll meet Aviendha, Rhuarc, and Amys, get "Aiel 101: An Introduction to Aieling", and do something to get them to follow him to Tear where they all raid the Stone together. Afterwards, once he's reunited with the rest of the cast we go straight into The Shadow Rising for season three.

Could clean up that "Enter the tower, leave the tower, repeat" double dip for the girls by having them get one of the dream ter'angreal somehow (or just an Egwene talent manifestation thing) during the Seanchan escape, they happen into Siuan's dream home, and get a "Don't come back you're Black Ajah hunters now" order.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Zore posted:

Yeah, Rand was learning a lot of stuff from her about Aiel culture that was more immediately relevant than 'how to woo a lady and propose marriage' and had a ton of other responsibilities and things to learn.

Like if I was tasked with teaching a culturally-ignorant messiah the most important beats of my culture I would probably not start with what kinds of gifts are appropriate to ask someone out with or that rings are used to propose marriage.

Also even on the parts where they did discuss at length she appeared to be awful at explaining why things were important and he was too dense to puzzle out why it differed from back home so they just went in circles a lot.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Hexel posted:

Take this with a metric ton of salt but this is the first media outlet I've seen claiming to know why Barney Harris left

https://www.small-screen.co.uk/barney-harris-sacked-from-the-wheel-of-time-heres-why/

Didn't he drop out before vaccines were really available, much less before any employer mandates were imposed?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

th3t00t posted:

I don't think the need for the hunt for the horn has been cut, but I don't see how they have time for it. Seeing as they didn't even have time to mention the Horn's existence or explain what it does before digging it up from under the throne.

Someone points to a boastful knight in a random town. "A thousand idiots like him rode out this spring to hunt across the world for that horn. so they can sound it at the Last Battle, and we've already found it." Just like that, the TV show has explained everything important the books did.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

DarkHorse posted:

Go back to Shayol Ghul, fuckman

I'm not worried that the entire world hasn't been established yet, but this would be a really lovely way to do it. Show, don't tell and all that.

I suspect the Chase for the Horn will be a significant arc of the second season's beginning, and the importance of the Horn can be spoiled out over two or three episodes. Show what happens when even the rumor of the horn gets out, people dropping everything to go to Tear when a Hunt is called, people selling a dozen fake imitations, people willing to steal and kill over those same fakes...

Meanwhile the gang are desperately trying to get it back and can't explain just what it is they're chasing

Why would it be lovely when it's exactly what the books did, telling about how the Hunt for the Horn is going on and people everywhere are looking for it and/or selling it without really ever having it more than background and rumor? It was just a thing of distant rumor that got repeated again and again and it was only "in the now" when an actual Hunter comes up and then it's just part of their backstory.

It won't get the repeating again and again, but in exactly the same way that the TV show didn't have a dozen different inns and farmhouses for Rand and Mat to visit, or how there weren't a dozen different scenes setting camp between Taren Ferry and Shadar Logoth, or how Elayne's not going to complain about Nynaeve's snoring a dozen times. Because I can say that five books into my reread RJ sure liked to tell, rather than show, and he sure liked to do both repetitively in a way that would need hundreds of episodes of show to bring to the screen.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
Also just finished book 5, and Mat's temporary death just made me think of the OSHA thread "boots off, must be dead" meme.

drat but the late game of that book is just one escalation after another though.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Tinydryad posted:

I'm watching the show over again too. Setting all the story changes aside, I don't understand some of the design changes. I hate the design of the Aes Sedai rings. Why are they SO big? What is the purpose for that? They certainly don't need the rings to be color coded when their entire outfits are. Apparently everyone in the world recognizes them on sight, which is dumb.

The rings in the books are huge, flashy, gaudy things. Just not physically. They can't be worn without their presence and location being constantly pointed out to the reader. When they're not on a finger, the wearers are constantly thinking of where they are and how they feel. They're the absolute core of advertising or hiding Aes Sedai affiliation and everyone, with the sole exception of a few teenage dirt farmers on the rear end-end of nowhere, understand that fact. I think they chose bulkier rings over more closeups on them, but the choice absolutely feels like it comes from thinking/caring about how they're presented in the books vs not doing so.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Mat "dies" two different ways in the series so if one doesn't fit right it is easy to just tell yourself it is the other one

Eventually the Horn is gonna decide he's just unreliable and cut its losses. Can't stay alive to sound the horn, can't stay dead to join the heroes, probably off dicing somewhere again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Ego Trip posted:

And Fain. At some point he nicks himself with it, well after its been established that The Dagger is Bad News.

Fain nicks himself with it right after cutting another guy causes him to immediately turn into a tortured mass of body horror. It was pretty clearly intended to show that he's enough linked with the dagger's evil that it won't touch him.