Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I guess it's time to start my new reread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I am going to thoroughly enjoy the inevitable screeching when all the marketing about "powerful women" runs into the books stating men are more powerful than women as magic users.

This is not to say there are not issues that need to be addressed between men and women, but it always amuses me that people try to use books about wizards for that.

This is also an adaptation that I hope is much less faithful to the books, because hoo boy if I hear "Bowl of the WInds" or "Faile" I am going to be the saddest panda.

Faile will 100% be in the show.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Was Elayne revealed already?

I suspect they're in no rush to cast Tuon. She first appears in book 9 after all.

I bet they have her show up in the first Seanchan appearance at Falme.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Please God no.

Do we know how much they plan to cover in a season?

They can cut books 7-11 of Perrin's arc into 2-3 episodes.
Cut out the prophet entirely actually.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

NecroMonster posted:

as much as i love thom he really doesn't do much in the books that isn't either off screen or old old old history
Major spoilers for the wheel of time.
Mentors Rand and Mat, sacrifice to eyeless helps motivate Rand. Teaches Matt and Rand gleeman stuff that they use, kills king of Cairhein, goes with Matt to rescue the super girls, goes with super girls to Tanchico, saves girls from forkroot. Is Elyane's father figure and helps her character growth move on from spoiled brat. Goes to Ebou Dar and helps Mat escape after the Seanchan show up. He is the one everyone assumes is the great general which i always find hilarious. He saves Moiraine, he protects Moiraine/Nynaeve/Rand during the last battle.

He is too good of a character to get rid of imo.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I have won again, Lews Therin.

Same

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

6 is good. Skip 8-10 if you are going to skip anything

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

seaborgium posted:

This thread made me start a reread, and he does actually bring up that he's daydreamed about adventures, or talked about it with the other boys before. He doesn't say it to anyone, but it's part of his POV that he's wanted to go on an adventure.

Right, it makes sense. You're a boy from a small farm town. Adventure sounds great. Until your father is almost murdered, your hometown burns down, and now you are told you have no choice but to adventure or everyone you love will die.
Oh and also your adventure will involve running from manifestations of evil chasing you that will eat you and your friends if they catch you. Ps you don't know anything about fighting have fun :)

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Finished book 13 today. Good stuff. Was pretty surprised when Mat lost his goddamn eye. It was pretty funny how casual he was about it for the rest of the book.

Do you remember his 3 answers? It's been foreshadowed since book 4.
Also that whole sequence is one of my favorite of the series. What did you think of Perrin in this book?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I'm the biggest WoT fanboy supporter and I can admit that book 10 wasn't very good.
I have still never skipped it in a reread however.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Rand madness is better every reread. Same with character relationships. Like how important certain Aes Sedai or Sea Folk or Aiel are. Or knowing how the Seanchan society is structured. Knowing the history of the world helps.
For you other nerds, have any of you read "The World of the Wheel of Time?"
It came out around or right after a Crown of Swords came out. It has alot of information on the history of the world, maps of the 10 nations and pre Artur Hawkwing. Age of legends information, the story of the war of power. It's fantastic.

Ps if some of you didn't know, be on the lookout for real world references in the wheel of time.

I love this series so much. Now my wife can finally know of this wonderful world without hearing me ramble incoherently after rereading a book.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Spek posted:

It'll be very interesting to see if the actor for Rand can manage the simultaneous and slow transformations between country bumpkin -> confident ruler and sane->mad and then come full circle with Rand Sedai at the end.

A friend of mine started her first read a while back and asked me "Where was Alviarin when the rebel Aes Sedai travelled to Tar Valon?" and I realized I had no idea. My attempts to google it turned up nothing. We know she was missing and that Elaida recaptured much of her political power because of it and stripped her of the keeper's staff on her return but I cant find any info on what she was up to. I think there were some hints she was at Tremalking(unless that was a previous outing?) but no hints at all as to why or what she was doing. Anyone have any ideas?

Wasn't it Tremalking?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Based on that link, it was Tremalking!

Haha. Iirc is was reddish mud on her skirts that she channeled off in the library basement that someone might recognize

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

Age is wrong, but Siuane Sanche. Boats instead of profanity.

Fish guts is profanity :colbert:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I cannot stress enough that the audiobooks are incredible. They do a fantastic job voicing the characters, and it definitely makes the books 8-11 chapters of Elayne and others better.

I really enjoy the different pacing styles of the books. The series is divided up pretty well into 4 sections in my opinion.

Spoilers below I guess

Books 1-3 is more fast paced young heroes coming of age. We don't know much about the history of the world yet and we barely know anything of any of the world's nations.

Books 4-6 is the reader learning about the layout of the land, the state of the different nations, and some of the history of the world (Rand's Aiel vision, some of Mat's memories). Normal rules of the land start to fail as the tower is broken and the Seanchan return. Founding of the black tower. The Aiel crossing the spine. This seems like the set up for books 7-11. For our heroes we get the main characters falling into their roles. The rise of the Dragon Reborn to power as well as Mat the general, Lorn Perrin, Egwene the Amrylin, Nynaeve the healer.

Books 7-11 is just pieces moving on the board getting everything into place for the last battle. The main focus is the struggle of Egwene vs Elaida, Seanchan vs Rand, and cleaning up some plot threads *cough* Perrin *cough*

Then we get 12-14. Preparing for and fighting the last battle. I enjoy that by these books the reader has visited every nation in the books, seen perspectives from most of the good and bad guys, and knows the history of the world.

Sorry about the bad ish write-up, I just have a jumble of thoughts to phone post while I wait to start work today.

Best characters in order.
1. Hopper
2. Nynaeve
3. Mat
4. Birgitte
5. Thom

Fight me

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

How are u posted:

Thom has to be grizzled, spry (before the limp), and somehow not too old for moiraine to find a tasty snack.

I've never quite been able to picture it.

I always pictured Patrick Stewart with a mustache

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I read it as LTT giving them honors, but more of a "here is the second place Nobel Peace Prize. I would give you the first but I already won it. But you still did pretty good champ."

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Yeah as it is the books basically tell us about Perrin's family what feels like 1 whole pov before telling us they're dead.

And yet that moment has me in tears every time.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

awesmoe posted:

actually, nobody is worse than elayne, not even faile

You misspelled Elaida

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Elaida exists to be hated and does that job well though.

Elayne doesn't???

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

^ exactly. And perrin needs the father figure

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

She does. Egwene is the worst character. She is just an actual terrible person who cares only about her personal satisfaction and power.
Nynaeve however is the best character in the series. Then Hopper and Birgitte.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Brolander posted:

RE: Egwene and That Scene:

Egwene is trying to impart upon Nyn that if she dies In The Ma'tri'x she dies in real life; Nyn as usual will not just shut the gently caress up and listen, so Egwene conjures something to scare the poo poo out of her. Possibly from Nynaeve's own psyche. And she actually learned the lesson. Regardless of Egwene's other motives for doing this, it's not like she was just being a sadist. Even if she was self satisfied after, it has to feel good to own Nynaeve if you have to spend any time around her and grew up more or less under her thumb.

Yeah, its her job to do that. She knows all about listening to people who know better. Its why she obeyed the wise ones telling her to not be in the world of the dreams at the time she was teaching Nynaeve why to listen about not going in the world of dreams.

Google why is Egwene the worst. There are some comprehensive lists that have been gathered over the last 29 years.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

So Egwene has some lovely traits but also accomplished a hell of a lot of unequivocally good things

Almost like she's a flawed character or something

Like the main character of Terry Goodkind. Both are equally good

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Try listening at 1.3x speed.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Anias posted:

You have access to the world of dreams and traveling, and yet somehow you aren't just opening gates in bad people's heads.

A problem with WoT if you think too hard about it.

Once Sanderson takes over, he starts breaking the magic system

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I guess Alanna is going to have a bigger role early on. Makes sense what with what she does to Rand and the role she has in the Two Rivers.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Moghedien is one of my favorites because of her constant cowardness as a stark contrast to brave Nynaeve who thought she was a coward

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I think shoving book 1 and part of 2 into one season makes sense. You can get the wonder girls into the white tower training. Cliffhanger the Seanchan Liandrin betrayal maybe.

Alot happens in book 1 that can be moved to other places. Maybe we meet Bayle as captain who takes the wonder girls towards Tear. Or who take Mat out of Tar Valon.

It's better to get people hooked with action and quick plot then to bore people and get dropped after a season imo.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

The Neal! posted:

Hey weird book question that's not really related to anything we're talking about now

Was it ever actually explained what was going on with the power decrease following Nynaeve unstilling Suin and Leane but there being no decrease for Logain (as far as I remember), I figured it was some weird magical rule where it was better to have a lady heal a man and vice versa (I think I remember an Ashaman also healed an Aes Sedai and no power decrease was mentioned) than it be the same sex but I don't remember if the books ever really went into any detail of why that might have been the case. Anyone remember if it actually gets addressed at any point?

Yeah. Males heal females fully and vice versa

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

god that bit just comes out of loving nowhere

It's brought up that Grandral was moving a massive army through the ways, posing as Samaeal
Spelling

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Its cool because it goes into the Age of Legends, The Trolloc Wars, and the Hawkwing Conquest.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Shageletic posted:

The Forsaken have at least 3 dudes that can't get Rand out of their mind.

e: like a republican being obsessed with AOC

Are you telling me Ben Shapiro is a forsaken?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Once I'm done with my reread of Stormlight Archive I'm coming back to do my bianual reread of the wheel of time.

Would anyone mind if I posted my thoughts on my reread? I'm going into it trying to hate Egwene and Elayne less.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The easiest of the harem characters to write

What is the worst possible choice that this character could make right now -> submit chapter -> repeat.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

She pointed out to Rand that he had to break the seals and redo the prison, not just patch over the bore.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

that's impossible, this is long-running fantasy. everyone is either constantly looking for a relationship, in a relationship, or chided for being a frigid loner

Verin?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Watch an episode before declaring it's the worst

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

rndmnmbr posted:

Yeah, yeah, I've had this discussion before. And everyone generally lands opposite of me on this, that the fine details aren't as important as general tone and plot and quality of production, so I can admit I am that guy and should just deal.

But goddamnit I don't want a different story, I want *thumps the spine of EoTW* this on *thumps television* this. There's a right way to do a book adaptation (The Expanse, Good Omens, the first four seasons of GoT) and a wrong way (Preacher, American Gods, the last four seasons of GoT). Adapting the source material to be watchable is acceptable. Adapting to put the showrunner's own unique twist on it is not acceptable. I want to watch the book on TV, not the showrunner's AU fanfic thereof.

I'll shut up about it now, because I know I'm about to get hit by a bunch of backlash because popular opinion says I'm wrong and dumb and have bad opinions. But what I've seen is telling me I'm not going to be pleasantly surprised by WoT the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Mat Cauthon posted:

It's probably easier to have the dude pretend to play guitar than pretend to play a harp, especially if he has any familiarity with the instrument at all.

IDK, I'm not crazy about some of the changes but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt at least until we see some actual footage.

Imagine if they ruin Mat