Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
[BOOK SPOILERS] Robert Jordan's Waste of Time -- How to Train Your Witch Slave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

seaborgium posted:

I liked the episode, but I don't know how big a fan I am of Min knowingly working for Ishy. I understand why, dudes incredibly powerful and a legendary villain, I'd poo poo myself and do what he said too. That whole bit is part of a larger change from the books, Min didn't really like seeing things but she'd come to accept it. And her Aunt's weren't such douchebags. I see why they changed it but it's a really big change that I want to see where they go with it.

Yeah it feels very weird, particularly with how fast she changed her mind during that conversation. Honestly it just feels more like they needed to get her (and Mat) in Falme and worked backwards from there so I am willing to roll with it. In Min's defense though man it would loving suck to see people's futures during a climate induced mass starvation event + actual factual apocalypse. I'd want to ditch that power too.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Future Me Hates Me posted:

I wonder if they'll save the stone of tear for a later season since in the books Rand uses Callandor once then sticks it back into the floor for several books.

They could also wait to introduce balefire until whatever season Rand fights Rahvin.

Great, now I have to hope there's not a flood of Cinema Sins level takes about how shelving Callandor is a plot hole just because Moiraine doesn't look directly into the camera and explain at length that uncontrolled power is bad. Silver lining of that I guess is that the show would be popular enough to have serious legs.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

El Grillo posted:

Didn't they already do Aiel in a cage last season

Yeah, there's a dead one in a cage when Rand and Mat meet Thom in that tiny backwater village.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Shageletic posted:

The reversal of the magical sword archetype (uh it actually makes you insane), is so fantastic tho.

It's also integral to the bait and switch with TDO/Morridin. Not to say you can't remix that premise somehow, but to me at least it's one of the more defining payoffs of the series.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
I think the only one is that there's no breadcrumb to get Rand to Falme right now, and that will probably come with the bound to the wheel scene next episode. Also I loved that little smirk/side eye from Verrin after seeing Liandrin's alibi asparagus. It absolutely radiated "Oh you think you're so good at this, don't you?"

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Johnny Joestar posted:

that was definitely a heavy episode. it was good, yeah, but i think it did things TOO well in a way and i def can't see myself going out of my way to rewatch it. it's really gonna gently caress up the show-only folks, though.

Yeah, I can normally get through some pretty dark stuff but I could have maybe done with one less of those scenes. Honestly could have used a check in on Perrin, otherwise I assume he will just be fast traveling to Falme off screen.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Gwaihir posted:

I think it's just "A Lot" the same way it is at the start of The Great Hunt- "We'd never bring this many sisters even for rulers" etc

It's also two sisters from each ajah (I did not scour the scene to count I am just assuming) so I just thought it was a diplomatic or tower politics thing.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
My read on the whole collars on sul'dam thing was that it may have happened accidentally from time to time but there's just so much cultural inertia around the damane that it gets quickly buried for another century or two. It's been a while but iirc the sul'dam that it happens too goes back and forth on if she should just die with this knowledge instead of revealing it and potentially destabilizing the empire. It wasn't until Tuon's guard/interrogator guy basically stumbled on to her that it finally leaked.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

CainFortea posted:

How does Nielsen even do streaming ratings? Did they move on past using a bunch of old people to extrapolate viewerships?

I think they try to but they suck at it. They suck at linear too, there just weren't any better options until smart tvs came along. I don't really follow it despite working with a bunch of ex-Nielson guys because everything advertising related just makes me feel sticky so I just do my shift at the excel factory and call it a day. There's about a million confounding things that make measurement a really hard problem to solve but it would just derail.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
There was a fair bit of cheese in there like the squad of goons all showing up just in time for Lan to have something to do while Moiraine imitates a nuclear submarine and Rand just stabbing Ishy. I would have loved an Obi-Wan vs Darth Maul from Star Wars Rebels style fight after taking the time to work in the details of Rand(Lews)/Ishamael/Lanfear's relationship. No big flashy sword fight, just a swing swing done kinda deal. Also not in love with Mat being tied to the Horn, but it does put a nice bow on a lot of things as others have mentioned so I will roll with it. Unsure if we will get the Snakes and Foxes stuff.

Overall though I loving loved it.

MOGHEDION :tviv:

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Zore posted:

Yeah,

It also fits a lot better with Rand and Moridin's relationship in the books which makes sense since show Ishy is waaaaaaaaay less insane than book Ishy.

Do we have Word of Rafe that we are getting Moridin then? It's gonna be a shame to lose Fares Fares. I'm inclined to agree with some of the others that was a sword enchanted with balefire so he might be done done.

Also it's been a hot minute since I read the books but wasn't that the same line from the very end after defeating the dark one?

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

nine-gear crow posted:

The cold open and the climax being mirror images of each other with Ishamael going "just loving kill me, Lews!" and Lews Therin coldly going "No." vs. Rand just hyperstabbing him to death and him falling on the ground and smiling going "Oh thank god, finally, death..." and then getting dusted makes me think this is the end for Ishamael completely. No Moridin, no resurrection, he's done. Otherwise it kind a cheapens his arc. We might see him back for like more Age of Legends flashbacks like they're doing with Lews at the end of each season, but otherwise, I think that's a wrap.

:negative:

Actually thinking about it for a second, I'm not so sure. Him coming back and being damned to do it all again kinda just underlines his point. I'm not really sure where you go from that, but it might be workable.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Data Graham posted:

That and the fact that it was caused by the evil dagger, which I feel has been handled a lot more coherently in the show than in the books

I did keep wondering how the hell Mat managed to secure it onto the staff so firmly that he could use it to pry open locks and boxes and kill 100 armored soldiers without it coming undone and flying off. All he had was a strip of cloth and some candle wax or something, he couldn't even touch it to glue it on lmao

(My prediction is that this is the final form of his spear, I'm not sure why others think it's going to get an upgrade once he visits Watts the blacksmith or whatever)

I'm not so sure honestly. My prediction for the Mat stuff early next season will be him grappling with giving his best friend such a brutal wound. Even if he has the dagger in a more secure form, it's still too dangerous to have around because accidents happen. He might have a Gollum moment of keeping it around before he throws it in a hole (with Fain whistling in the background). Between that and assumed unlocking his past lives in some capacity, he's got a lot of poo poo To Work Through even if he's not necessarily on a dagger induced bender. That said I also think having his memories at this exact point in the story will also cheapen him dunking on Galad and Gawyn later if we do get that scene.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Yeah, that would also give him some form of skill to train to be more in line with Rand/Perrin/Egwene/Nynaeve at this point.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
I had not considered it but the reversal on Lanfear tossing Moiraine through a door and semi-stranding her is delicious.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

pseudorandom name posted:

Why in the world would you want to follow a Wheel of Time YouTuber?

For the same reason I read and post in this thread. I like having other sets of eyes on a story that pick up on things I miss or have a good insight into something I like but was struggling to articulate.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Hughmoris posted:

You're not alone. I didn't think the finale was good but saying so makes me feel like a downer for those that like the show.

Nah I appreciate criticism when it's not just something people forgot from last week's episode or beaten to death like sad warders and character word counts.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

DarkHorse posted:

If I had control of direction I'd have cut down a lot of Lan and Moiraine unmasking the bond and loving around on the beach and showing Turak practicing the blade, maybe against two or three other blade masters.

Probably not something that actor could've pulled off convincingly but it would've put more weight on that interaction and less on something that frankly didn't feel earned.

I think if they did that then you'd have the segment of the audience who aren't book readers but are moderately savvy tv viewers ask why Rand didn't simply melt their faces off for the rest of time. Also, I'm just gonna say it. In a show with stellar costuming the meter long fingernails look dumb, especially when trying to look flashy with a sword. In my head I guess I always imagined them as being a couple of inches long, gaudy and a sign that you don't have to do actual work but not something that would actively impede you either.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

His Divine Shadow posted:

while all four LOTR books are a little north of 550,000 words.

And a third of that is Tom Bombadil songs :v:

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

His Divine Shadow posted:

I am clearly not as charitable towards this show because I mostly keep remembering it for the stuff I haven't received, rather than what it's actual high points for other people might be. I think that might be a fundamental difference between a show liker or not.

Sorry for dragging this up from a while ago but I really think this is the crux of it. Maybe five or ten years ago I made a conscious choice to stop focusing on parts of a thing I dislike and instead focusing on the stuff I enjoyed. I got sick of being such an angry internet nerd all the time and I could kinda tell it was obnoxious for people around me. There's still stuff that I dislike or think could be better done, I'm just more zen about it and set it off to the side instead of fixating on it to the point that it eclipses the parts I liked. Honestly I think it just boils down to "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all say your piece and move on with life."

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Also sorry in advance if anyone in this thread feels like I just passive-aggressively called them a miserable nerd, I just wanted to talk about my own experience based on a good insight.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

CainsDescendant posted:

It'd be kinda cool if they took the extra-long production times into account and made the events of the series cover a longer period of time. The book time scale is less than 3 years, iirc? And most of that is in the first three or four books. Having time skips where Rand and Egwene consolidate their power and learn to rule, Mat builds up the Band, etc, would be great to iron out some of the very quick development they go through (it's taveren, I know) and also explain why these kids are in their thirties by the time the last couple of seasons come out.

Maybe but I think you'd need to cut the Bowl of Winds/weather stuff for suspension of disbelief reasons. The books already have what, like a year of drought? Then an abnormally harsh over-correction winter followed up by a blight. Normally I'd ignore that kind of thing but when there are Perrin chapters on a quest for grain and Rand summoning manna for every town he passes through calling attention to it. I'm not a history buff but my impression is that a lot of the worst famines lasted like a season to a year tops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Yeah Callandor/Tear gets shelved for a while but I still hope it happens. Rand trying to resurrect the one woman who died after getting it is such an important character beat imo. It's him testing his powers to bend reality with good intention but those pave the road to Hell etc