Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Pyromancer posted:

Ah yes, a katana girl, way more dangerous than a trolloc twice her size and armed with a huge and poisoned cleaver. Wheel of time: The Anime.
Oh boy, speaking of that Trolloc, don't you just love it when a Blademaster has more trouble 2v1 than a blacksmith and his wife have 2v2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Gully Foyle posted:

On the Eye/Shayol Ghul:
- I do think this is a misdirection from Ishamael.
- But the Eye could be at Shayol Ghul still and nothing lost.
- I love not knowing what is gonna happen exactly. Is the Eye still the pool of saidin? Is the horn gonna be there? Is the Green Man? Will there be other Forsaken or just Ishamael? What role will they play? How will Rand be revealed as the DR?
If the Eye is at Shayol Ghul, how in the god drat monkey gently caress is that pool of Saidin still pure? That's stupid. Probably a misdirect though, but an annoying one.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm pretty certain that Moiraine and Siuan were meeting in TAR since they had white out transitions when the scenes started and ended. Plus Moiraine's clothing changed from a white shift to a red/brown armless robe thing after they get down. Plus plus the house they meet in looked like Siuan's childhood home. Plus plus plus it's a good way to subtlety introduce one of the more complicated aspects of the story.
Bonus material says that it's a real place in Tear though.

Eat a dick, the real Tam killed 4 Trollocs by himself when 2 squads of them busted into his home, led them off into the forest, and made his way back to his son with only a scratch that magically festered.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

And objecting would require them to admit they planned to depose Siuan.
No, it would require them to think it's inappropriate for the Amerlyn seat to have a sister swear total obedience to her personally.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Johnny Joestar posted:

the point of the oath rod scene is for them to get gay married
That doesn't make it good.

RC Cola posted:

I guess don't watch the show I don't know what to tell you
Nah, I enjoy hate watching it. It's got the right mix of contempt for the source material for me to be mad about it, but it's just okay enough on it's own merits that it's not physically painful to sit through an episode.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Contempt is a very strong word.

But yeah, these guys signed on to adapt the books because they hate them. Rosamund Pike hates then so much she's doing the audio books.
Yes, people who make Thom a dour cowboy, neuter Rand's establishing... everything, and thoughtlessly slap end game revelations into the beginning of the story hate the actual books.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Goofballs posted:

Don't know about Thom getting more flamboyant. Feel the change is just a move in the culture. EOTW came out in 1990, the first UFC happened in 1993 and after that increasingly you had to go people have super powers or there are grim realities about what being good in a hand to hand/sword to sword fight amounts to. GOT came out in 1996 and it still had Tyrion doing backflips to impress Jon Snow. But that poo poo went away very quickly.

Like if Thom starts twirling knives your brain goes from this is cool to why have they not just stabbed him already much faster now than it would have when your experience of cinema violence was bruce lee rather than watching, I don't know, Khabib maul a guy on the ground.
Then they're a bunch of cowards. :colbert:

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

El Grillo posted:

The darkfriend knows that they are people of interest because one of them is the dragon. The rebirth/Wheel of Time stuff is super explicit, widely known, and universally acknowledged, like an unenforced religion that everyone just accepts for some reason. There are a ton of other examples, stuff like Rand picking up the karaethon cycle in the library and knowing what it is.
Rando darkfriends didn't know exactly why the group was special beyond that they were, sure, but rebirth and wheel of time being explicit was from the books. Some people don't, and there's other religious/philosophical views that are held in addition to the wheel, like the Aiel's Dream or the Amayar's Time of Illusion, but the Wheel and rebirth an objective fact of reality. Two River folks did know of the Karaethon cycle, but Nyneave certainly wouldn't be reading them, or letting people read them either.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

silvergoose posted:

I have to assume it's a change to set up future plot points without having to explain terangreal outright or something.
But they already introduced ter'angreal with the Oath Rod, and the magic painting doesn't develop the idea of "magic artifacts are a thing" anymore than the Oath Rod.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

but a lot hotter.
Agree to disagree.

coathat posted:

I would simply use the magic picture instead of the ways to get to the eye of the world then.
Yeah, while there's a number of ways to explain why they can't use the ter'angreal, ranging from okay explanations to bad ones, you really could have side stepped the issue by just not introducing a means of magical transportation in the same episode you introduce an entirely different means of magical transportation that's just worse than the one you just introduced.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Johnny Joestar posted:

what do you mean, it's obviously a flaw that the really quiet, big dude doesn't say much and that the other 2 main guys are literally right at the top along with the big name star playing lady gandalf

nobody knows anything about these characters!!!!!
The other way of looking at it is that Rand/Mat have been here for 6 episodes to Siuan's 1, and they only have half again her word count (individually).

Devorum posted:

Just finished the "Oops, fell over the wall!" chapter of Eye, and he definitely describes Morgase as "Elayne, but matured and ripened".

I think the only thing I'm really disappointed about is them not doing anything with the heron mark blade after doing the zoom-in in the first episode.
Probably/hopefully they're going to slot that in with the rest of the Rand lore dump they're doing episode 7, but I'm really not a fan of the whole "wait until the end to shove all of Rand's poo poo" approach they're taking.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Chapter 18/19 in The Great Hunt

I'm pretty sure this is the only time they traveled, like by walking, through a Portal Stone. IIRC they still use them later but they just teleport to their destination through them.

Did Robert Jordan ever say what was up with this mirror world with the sterilized water, huge burned plots of land, contrails in the sky, and absolutely no animal life (except for Gruns, which may have just been brought there by Lanfear). Was this supposed to be the wasteland of some sci-fi war with space lasers burning everything to death?
I could very easily be wrong, but is that the one where the Trollocs murdered everyone and then the trollocs just kinda died out?

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Dingleberry2 posted:

How would you do it though? Lets take episode 5 since lots of people are griping about Stepin's 15 minutes of fame.

So with that 15 minutes you give 5 minutes each to Perrin/Egwene, Mat/Rand, and Nynaeve. What do you do with those 5 minutes that both world builds and grows each character? In this episode you already built off of previous episodes so you get the Perrin/wolfbrother payoff. He already confesses to Egwene that he killed his wife. Egwene is able to channel under pressure. Mat knows he's going insane, just not the reason. He just wants to die instead of going insane. Nyneave is poorly dodging Tower politics. So, what do you do with that time?
I don't agree that the whole of the E5 are in a bad position, character investment wise; I'd certainly like Nynaeve to have more big sister/mother hen moments, but she and the rest are doing fine on their own, or at least as fine as they were in the books. Rand's the one of the gang that's got investment issues, so that's where I'd dump the lion's share of Stepin's screentime. I might have pushed Thom's death and such to episode 5 myself and slotted in a new scene during the farm, it would be nice for Thom to spend more time with the boys pre-death. Either way, push Thom to episode 5 or leave it alone, the scene I'd do is Rand teaching Mat the Flame and the Void, to help Mat get a grip. Reinforce the whole "Rand just really cares about everyone" thing they've got going on, and spreading it out the Rand lore dump they're gonna pull off in the next few episodes. If Thom was around, I's have had him comment, either to expand on it's background, or just to be like "intriiiiiguing". If I was feel a little frisky, I'd have Rand react to the presence of the True Source, maybe play off Mat's difficulty learning with Rand being rusty.

Oh, this slipped my mind, but they had Egwene's braid being undone as part of the whitecloaks violating her, and it's a shame/bad to miss her immediately (3 days, but still bailing on years of Emonds Field culture to emulate her new faction. At least she added on a Tinkers vestment thingamabob while Perrin remains in the same outfit.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Maybe Moghedien? She was a stockbroker or something and got the slapdown
She bet it all on saidincoin.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

RC Cola posted:

Min rules. I didn't read her as non binary but I'll look at her through that lens on this reread. I wouldn't care one way or another. It doesn't change anything in the story
Except her "I'm still a woman, woolhead" moment, tomboy erasure needs to end! :cheeky:

RC Cola posted:

Yeah it's called being a hypothetical piece of poo poo
Yes, as opposed to something like the hypocritical flying invisible teapot.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

God they're really doing it PerrinxEgweneXRand love triangle.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

eke out posted:

lan just doing ninja poo poo to own nynaeve lol
Just teleports because ???????

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't know if they're explicitly doing a rand/egwene/perrin thing as much as it's them getting worked up and mad about stuff and nynaeve lit the match that got rand ticked off and made perrin feel more regret about killing his wife
Didn't say it was going anywhere, but they did waste my time with it.

Egwene: not choosing power over everything
#notmyeggy

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Really feeling those missing hours with that Tam fever dream just being awkwardly slammed in our face.

Oh, and horrified in an amusing/fun way at Moiraine siccing the Red Ajah on Mat. I'll destroy you myself before I let the shadow take you, indeed.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Egwene saying she waited an hour for Rand to come and apologize, and Rand saying that she'd come find him when she was ready to talk was spot on, characterwise. Moiraine siccing the Red Ajah on Mat was also good. Shame about... everything else. From Perrin being in love with Eggy and the love triangle, Lan not having something to die for, Egwene being the moral center and even entertaining of not joining the Aes Sedai, Agelmar being a stereotypical "arrogant male leader" instead of basically subservient to Moiraine, Min being not Min, to Lan not having something to die for (it bears repetition), the show remains "moderately okay on it's own merits, terrible adaptation of the source material".

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

LionArcher posted:

Have you had COVID recently? Because you clearly have no taste.

Opening ruled so hard. Love triangles total worked because it’s dumb and the worlds going to very quickly going “nobody cares”. Min rules so hard. Her and rand instantly have fantastic chemistry. Reveal wasn’t what I expected, but was also great.

The core of the story is here. It’s a different telling in a different medium, but they’re doing a loving amazing telling of it.
The skeleton of the story is there, sure, but the bones are broken, the meat is from a cat, and the heart is a 404 error. Showgelmar is a generic chud so Moiraine can put him and his male chauvinism in his place and not spend any time with him, despite Agelmar going from "desperate to have Moiraine and Lan's help" to "please let me do literally anything to help you in your journey". Really feeling that chemistry behind "oh, it's you", and the love triangle being intentionally cheap drama doesn't change the fact it's cheap, and also manufactured whole cloth in service to itself. Lan "not having something to die for" is such bastardization of his character and backstory, but it tracks for what the show's been doing to him.

The opening was solid, sure, maybe a little too much slow-motion but that's minor. The reveal was very standard though, and the fever Tam flashback was a little worse than I thought it would be.

Lord Koth posted:

Min was okay, but the choice to age her up even more than the main cast was a bit odd. Not making a judgment on whether it'll work out or not, just noting it. To be clear, Min was ~2 years older than the main cast in the books (she's younger than Nynaeve), so when she's talking to Rand about her first vision here she was clearly older than 2 - I don't expect them to do in-show age listings, but if I had to guess I'd put her at older than Nynaeve.
To be entirely fair, while the show isn't really using it, Nynaeve in the books had already been Slowing so Min looking older despite not actually would follow, and age gap wise, Rand was born winter of 978 while Min was born 975, so like a 3 or 4 year gap. Kae's about that range with Joshua.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

CainFortea posted:

This is the weirdest take on a brother and sister having a disagreement.
Oh, you haven't seen the episode yet? Makes sense, otherwise how could you miss Agelmar talking over Moiraine, openly dismissing his sisters concerns in public, taking the first opportunity to brag about the might of Fal Dara and how little an Aes Sedai would matter, and Moiraine is just so exapserated at his overbearing arrogance? Moiraine's later comment about him not going to Min because he already knows all the answers? That wasn't a brother and sister having a disagreement, that was an arrogant man disrespecting two women out of hand and being put in his place, a radical departure from the books because ??? They needed more male leaders to disrespect Aes Sedai/women, and to fill that role chose a character who would never dare?

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

LionArcher posted:

stop posting Incel. Take your cringe poo poo somewhere else.

Like, I've had plenty of lovely takes on these forums. I think a lot of conversations calling the magic system "problematic" by some fans super eye rolly.
That... wasn't a "take" though. Okay, the bit about why they did what they did was speculation, but the rest was literally how that situation was structured? I genuinely don't understand how you can A) not read the scene as Agelmar being a colossal douchebag and getting smacked down, and B) not see it as wildly out of character for Agelmar to be a dick.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

CainFortea posted:

It wasn't a sudden awareness. He's been afraid he's the dragon the entire time. But as more and more stuff happens it's been harder for him to fool himself. And now he's faced with a choice of just accept it and keep his friends safe, or keep fooling himself and have Egwene die.
I'm being both sincere and facetious here: too bad the show couldn't show us this before that exact moment.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Hexel posted:

Episode 8 ad on instagram somebody screencapped

https://twitter.com/lynx_time/status/1472212445158592518
Is that a female Myrddral? As far as I know, there's no reason Fades can't have sexual dimorphism, so I dig it.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Reik posted:

Oh no, now we have to learn about the Horn at a later time than we would have previously!
Cause gently caress foreshadowing actual poo poo, we need to setup an ultimately pointless love triangle scene!

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

eke out posted:

so was it worth spending ten bucks to complain about wheel of time on a new account here
I'm actually just here so I can follow an LP without getting locked out when the forums go accounts-only, but complaining about the show is a nice side benefit.

buffalo all day posted:

Stop posting and get out you weird little freak
... No thank you?

This is a really, really stupid and small thing to be a little thrilled over, but I'm starting to reread the series and just pieced together that the inn's old foundations were probably from a larger Manetheren building a thousand years ago. Knowing my luck, there's probably a later scene where they confirm that and I'll look very silly for pointing out something blindingly obvious.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Goreld posted:

1. In the flashback they call the Dark One Shai Hulud. I guess they can’t use Shai’Tan because that’s literally Satan in Arabic and might… cause some issues with international audiences? (Even though the land is technically Earth)
When Elan names the Dark One in the prologue, LTT basically says it's a cursed name. They might be changing it, but this just might be them using a euphemism because they already know saying Shai'Tan is just asking for trouble.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Turin Turambar posted:

What do we think of the Seanchan designs?

Very b-movie attack of the killer alien vibes, zero insect vibes, the spikes look like dildos, and the pacifiers are a terrible alternative to collars and leashes.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

• Why doesn't Lews Therin have any compelling argument for the strike on Shayol Ghul? Failing to convince Latra is one thing, but it doesn't even seem as if LTT has a reason that could convince himself. Let alone the companions. I think they were aiming for "arrogant" but they hit "idiot".
  • Why is Agelmar going to the fortress at the gap? What can he accomplish there that he cannot do from the city? Wield a crossbow? He's a general. It's not even as if he needs to get closer to send orders effectively- that fortress is within spitting distance of the city. It's basically an outwork. Actually, the geography of Fal Dara and its surroundings has been bothering me a lot for these two episodes. Fal Dara, the Gap, Malkier and the Eye all seem to be within a couple hours walk of each other? It feels tiny.
  • Why, when Moiraine is threatening Rand with the knife, does Ishy not just tie her in air and leave it at that? Most of what he does here makes sense eventually, but I can't see how allowing Moiraine the opportunity to kill the guy before he blasts the seal helps him here.
  • Because LTT being pushed into a corner with doom hanging over them all, and Latra Posae's plan being dead in the water would take away from the critical aspect of the scene: men are stupid idiots and really should just leave everything to women :cheeky:
  • Moiraine says something about Malkier being miles from Tarwin's Gap 3 years ago. I think the intent is that Tarwin's Gap is a part of the Blight, and as the Blight consumes territory, Tarwin's Gap advances too, through spatial and temporal fuckery. I mean, I still think it's a stupid change to have everything so close together, but they do try to explain it.
  • Best guess is that Ishy was confident that even if she did slit Rand's throat, Ishy could fix it up, so just let her pretend like she had any control at all.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Nitrousoxide posted:

Why was LTT the Dragon Reborn as well? Shouldn't he just be the Dragon.

Also didn't Ishamial say "LTT and his 99 companions" during his temptation of Rand? Why the removal of one companion? What is the point of that?"
Actually the removal of 14 companions, The Hundred Companions wasn't entirely accurate, which just makes it weirder that they did make that change, to include Lews Therin in the count of Companions, and make it a literally accurate count.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Gully Foyle posted:

Mat barely has any characterization in the books until he is healed, and most of that time is dagger Mat. Show Mat is in the same place. They still gave him the "willing to run into the fire to save people" trait (see episode 1), which is the most important piece of his character. Yeah, his parents are different, but he feels right to me. We will see with the new actor and what they do with him.
Mat's a funloving prankster. Really feeling the levity he brings with his abusive drunkard parents, and his corpse looting. It's a shame they focused on the dagger killing him over it turning him into a paranoid wreck.

Speaking of Mat, I'm reading The Great Hunt, and he mentions being on a massive winning streak. I thought that didn't happen until he got healed, but I probably didn't notice it until Mat's POV made it a very explicit character trait :sweatdrop:

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

rocketrobot posted:

You're supposed to be caring about the 5 of them, not just the boys. :)

More episodes would help. I think we were given enough on the show to care about most of them though. Egwene probably the least. That said next season should be a lot of Egwene.
And being a group of 5 suddenly makes not caring about 60% of them, what?

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

buffalo all day posted:

Mat is if anything more emo and annoying in the first two books. Genuinely wonder how many people unhappy with show mat recently read EOTW/TGH, there’s a reason it’s so impressive what Jordan did with Mat in the third book.
In comparison to the show? Annoying, sure, but emo? Not until after the dagger, and he does an immediate about face once Moiraine heals him. Even when he is a paranoid wreck with the dagger's influence, he and rand talk a lot about how Mat's just freaking the gently caress out about never feeling safe.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Tinydryad posted:

I just did. Book Mat after getting the dagger is no fun which is kind of the point. None of the boys are any fun in book 2. (Rand is the worst of them. Just 100% whining about not being a puppet.) But Mat starts TEOTW as a mischievous playful dude, not a depressed thief with neglectful parents. I'm on book 3 in my reread right now, and Mat's about to take off which is great. Show Mat gets some quips, but seems to have zero joy in his character.
Rand says "I will not be used" so many times, I'm wondering if it's a touch of madness exacerbating Two Rivers stubbornness.

Speaking of book 2, remember Thom's mid-20's girlfriend who gets fridged because of the pull of ta'veren and so he can kill a king? I didn't!

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

buffalo all day posted:

Ok So like 75 pages at the start of the first book vs the other 1200 or so pages where he’s depressed and angry (and it’s not like he pranks Rand or anything, iirc, it’s just people being like “hey remember when mat….”). The “rebirth” of mat in the show is going to be way more important, if they screw that up then it’s a big problem.
vs 10000 pages where he's Mat the reluctant general, it's called a character arc. They go through stages, and they change and develop.
Prank wise, there was the badger one that got interrupted by the winter night attack, the incident with the Whitecloaks which feed into Rand's first bit of Channeling sickness, and Mat sneaking off to steal the dagger is part of his whole "irresponsible fun chaser" bit. And even outside actual pranks, Mat is kinda rude in a "doesn't know how to not say the first thing that pops into his head".

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Nitrousoxide posted:

IIRC while TDR Rand is clearly off his rocker, I think all the people/things he kills on his trip to Tear are shadow spawn or dark friends. At least the scenes we watch. The one the other poster was talking about, I’m pretty sure there was a grey man mixed in with a bunch of dark friends as he notices one extra body after they are all dead.
Isn't there a rather similar situation in the same book with Mat and Thom, where some randos show up at their fire past when most people would have stopped for the night, only to try to murder them both mid sentence?

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Ponsonby Britt posted:

I feel like Lan needed to be updated for the show because his book character is tied into the conception of gender that people had 30 years ago that Jordan was critiquing. Lan is stoic, hard, emotionless, toxic masculinity. That's ultimately presented as a bad thing in the books, but that's a whole arc that Jordan has to deliberately lead the reader through because most of the audience back then would have also shared Lan's ideal of masculinity to start with. But nowadays, a lot fewer people buy into that ideal, so it's not as relevant and compelling as an emotional hook. And in a narrative sense, nowadays it would read as a lot more unrealistic if a strong woman like Moiraine partnered with him without calling him on his bullshit. Lan needs to be less emotionally closed-off and more chilled out in order to stay plausible as Moiraine's buddy cop/Nynaeve's love interest to a modern audience.
Except no. Moiraine isn't actually any better than Lan about being expressing her emotions, her facade is just serentiy while his is depression, they're great partners. And Lan's walls crumble immediately when he's dealing with Nyneave directly.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Hexel posted:

We may already have Egeanin, I can't remember if she starts out with half her head shaved or not. Jessica Boone, Guy Roberts wife (Uno) is in S2 and has been seen around Prague with half her head shaved.

She doesn't, she isn't raised to the Blood until after Tanchico. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but shaving half the head seems more like a so'jhin thing too.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Lol has there been more inevitable betrayal than the Black Tower?
Liandrin?

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

tsob posted:

Yeah, I had a feeling there was some lines that implied attraction but I couldn't actually recall any of the top of my head, so I just left at him treating her differently to other Aes Sedai. Thanks for clarifying. I'd still feel there's just too much time between them meeting, and instantly jumping to marriage personally, but there is definitely some foreshadowing of the basis of it.
Part of that problem is that for like 2/3rds of that time, one of them was presumed dead, and the other part is that they're workaholics. Thom's stories make Moiraine laugh, Thom routinely calls her a fine woman and laments the fact she's Aes Sedai, but most of their time and attention are being spent making sure these dumb kids don't get themselves killed before they can save the world.

quote:

I was going to say "well of course she does, she can see his cloak and that's all she needs to know his profession"; took me a third read to realize she calls him "bard" and not "gleeman". I wonder when Moiraine saw something to "know the face of her future husband" as she tells the girls inside the Stone of Tear, since that implies a viewing. Maybe Min?
Moiraine say's she "could wager" technically, but Min is the most likely source at the time. She had said previously one of the signs she recognizes is when two people who've never met will get married. Additionally, when Moiraine tells Thom to go to Tanchico, she says flat out that they will see each other again, and that he will survive the city. She hadn't gone to Rhuidean yet, so only a vision from Min or an answer from the doorway would have been trustworthy enough sources to say an iron clad statement of future events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Invalid Validation posted:

I didn’t like it either. If they never got together nobody would think twice. That’s how little I feel it was foreshadowed. Plus he fuckin hated Aes Sedai, even the nice ones were usually pieces of poo poo. But I know people think it’s master class writing so what would I know?
That plus is just more in favor of Thom/Moiraine, because even knowing she's Aes Sedai, Thom still really likes her.