Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

In terms of economy of storytelling they could parcel out his impact to the other characters, but I sincerely hope not because the infinitely layered onion that is the badassery of Thom Merrilin is one of the pure joys of the books.

How popular are do-over fantasies in general? I guess there's a distinction in really bad wish-fulfillment where the character goes back in time to fix specific things, bone their sister, and get rich off the stock market, but the WoT one is a lot more philosophical than that. Also, Rand bones a distant/distaff cousin.

Do over fantasies are huge in Korean, Japanese, and Chinese media, mostly recently in web comics and litnovels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Mat is a good and easy name to remember.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Al’Thor Arthur is pretty good as well.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Hopping in late, but swords are basically ineffective against most forms of armor. Thrusting and stabbing have some effectiveness but cuts hardly work against even thick padded cloth armor.

They’re good for killing unarmored peasants though.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm pretty sure he was lynched by a mob that blamed him for serving the Forsaken.

Nah that was her aiel servant.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Gnoman posted:

Do we ever find out who started the anti-Morgase sentiment in Eye Of The World? It very strongly feels like the work of another House, but I don't remember if they ever said which one.

I thought it was implied to be Rhavin. He was able to take advantage of the situation to get into Morgases good side and he had people setup already to fill the power vacuum after Gareth Bryne and the other lords left. The remaining loyal guards also kept referring to themselves as the queens men and to Rahvins faction in the same way that the anti Morgase faction were referred to, ie loyal to the crown and not the queen.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Famethrowa posted:

the issue, mainly, is that he tends to err on the side of humans being super myopic and rigid more often then he does flexible and able to learn new things. most people are able to adopt a growth mindset in the real world. it's pessimism being peddled as reality and it's hard to buy.

for example, there is no way that the Aiel would stay so rigid on their beliefs after spending so much time in the "wetlands" and around new belief systems. after the hundredth "thats not honorable!!" it gets pretty old.

Seems pretty realistic actually. People tend to be a lot more rigid and stubborn especially when they have a superiority complex.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Thom Merrilin might have been slumming it, but he wasn't exactly going incognito. He didn't change his name, he didn't change his appearance, he still claims to have been a court bard.

Moiraine knew who he was.

She might know of some guy named Thom who was a court bard that hung out with royalty. But if she's never met him it's really kinda hard to recognize someone based off just a name.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Just finished reading the recap for LoC that was posted a bit earlier and....How did Taim know that Rand was captured by the Tower Aes Sedai and how did he know exactly where to gate to for the rescue? I must have been a darkfriend/black ajah/forsaken informant right?

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 1, 2021

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Which really means he had to be picked up by Ishamael, as no one else fits the timeline. Was there a Saldaean at the dark friend social?

It would make sense for him to then be picked up later by Demandred, since he's pretty power-hungry and would try to exploit the connection, as all good Darkfriends do.

In that case I seems a good theory is that Demandred (using Taim) was working to foil Mesaanas plan (manipulating the tower aes Sedai and the black ajah). Demandred certainly knew where Rand was as he was communicating with the Shaido encouraging them to also attack the Aes Sedai. Demandred and the Dark one probably didn’t want Rand in Tower hands as that reduces the chance of Chaos, and also increases the possibility of Rand being gentled.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Lurks, mydrraals, and fades are just fairy tales.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Democratic Pirate posted:

Eddie Redmayne would make a good gawyn

Gawyns supposed to be handsome though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Intruder posted:

where's my god drat green man :mad:

also tired of rand and perrin constantly doing the vince vaughn thing with their mouths always hanging open

Slack jawed two rivers yokels