Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
This is honestly almost exactly how I imagined Sheriam looking

https://twitter.com/WotTVSeries/status/1639274665611853826

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

buffalo all day posted:

lol yeah she got that “have a cup of tea dear” vibe

has verin been cast?

No, but I think she's gonna be Meera Syal. She's been announced as cast, but not for which character.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I imagine she'll look younger if they give her book Sheriam's red hair.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Isn't JordanCon in April? That would line up with some kind of announcement or teaser/trailer.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Sorta line the WoT TV show so far

I liked the show so much I went and read all the books :confused:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Colonel Cool posted:

What were your general impressions on the show compared to the books after reading them?

I went back and watched it after finishing all books and still enjoyed the show just as much and am looking forward to season 2. It was definitely interesting remembering what was actually in the show and what I conflated with reading the books so soon afterwards. I do wish Elyas was in season 1, but at least he'll be in season 2. I also wish Thom was in more of season 1, but there's only so much screen time possible.

I should also say that I also listened to Wheel Takes' show specific episodes and with Ali's background in film I felt like that gave me a pretty understand of why certain things had to be changed. Obviously there's the whole fact that the books have just shy of 2800 named characters, and then covid ruining their original plans for episodes 7 and 8. A lot of things were changed though, given that the season was eight ~60-90 page scripts rather than an 800 page book and then bits of other books.

There were a lot of cool little things that Rafe snuck in, like Moiraine mentioning to Alanna that there might be a way to release bonds which came out of nowhere in AMoL. I got to enjoy the dramatic irony of Nynaeve telling Egwene that she needs to "trust the river" as a metaphor for channeling saidar, when Nynaeve literally cannot give in to the One Power for half the books. All of the Stepin stuff was very obviously intended to set the stakes for when Moiraine and Lan's bond breaks after she rugby tackles Lanfear through the Finn doorway since it's not possible to set things up with 50 pages of their inner thoughts spread out over 5 books.

I also liked that Moiraine and Siuan are more obviously gay rather than the "pillow friend" code words that RJ used. And Alanna's warders were also clearly bi, something that I don't think ever really came up in the books. And Rand and Egwene were actually loving because I don't think any amount of small town puritan values would actually keep two teenagers from doing that. It felt more realistic in the show. On the other hand, Perrin didn't need to be married and his wife didn't need fridging. It could have been a brother or something, and the whole Perrin/Egwene/Rand love triangle miscommunication thing was weird.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Had is pretty strong here. Fridgewife or drunk dad, whatever. There are just world building stuff that is totally hosed i.e. the two rivers not being isolated from randland at large or the horn having no buildup. They have not shown that they can write around their own changes.

The Two Rivers being isolated is weird to me because in the books Thom shows up there to perform, literally everyone in the world knows about Two Rivers tabac, Gawyn is the biggest Two Rivers stan until one second of plot happens and suddenly hates Rand, and that's just off the top of my head. The Two Rivers being isolated is a myth.

Also Helga Grinwell has a Birgitte doll, which isn't anyone talking about the Horn but it is foreshadowing about the heros. The doll even protects peoples dreams, like how the real Birgitte helps Elayne and Nynaeve in Tel'aran'rhiod!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

In one statement, the proliferation of channeling/ers and the lack of mythology surrounding them. I can get into more detail tomorrow if I get bored at work.

I think a book will always have an easier time with world building than a TV show, especially when each book is as long as these are. There is so much in them that not everything can make it into the show, if the books were shorter I don't think it would be as obvious. There's also a chance that something gets inserted later, or there was some small nod to this that's easily missed. If you're expecting Robert Jordan world building in a TV show that has to keep peoples attention I can understand why the show is a disappointment.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

tsob posted:

I do not understand why they didn't just use the prologue from the book personally, which could easily have had some action packed into it with Ishamael trying to stop Lews Therin leaving resulting in a short magic struggle or Lews remembering himself murdering his family or something. Which would surely add a dramatic hook to boot. Seeing the incest followed by Jamie crippling a kid seems to have been what hooked a lot of viewers for Thrones, since it was a good mix of drama and unexpected brutality, and the book prologue surely has that too.

You're just supposed to watch Winter Dragon first

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Natural 20 posted:

Minor things really irritate me, like why does Agelmar suddenly hate the White Tower? What does that add?
This actually makes more sense to me after reading the books. If I remember correctly, he's assuming that Moiraine is showing up to tell him how to run his place after the Tower has largely left the Borderlands alone. Of course that's going to put his back up. He's been fighting the Blight his whole life, and he saw Malkier fall to the Blight because the Aes Sedai didn't show up!

Natural 20 posted:

If your channelers could wipe nearly the entire trolloc horde why the gently caress weren't they at the fortification....with knee high windows for some reason.

Because their channelers couldn't wipe out the Trollocs until Nynaeve and Egwene showed up, and Agelmar and Amalisa had no idea they were going to make that much of a difference until she felt their power, or if they'd show up to help.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The recognition of an AS and that her predecessor wanted to be one cuts a lot of book one character development of the women accepting the tower. They somehow square that with the dragon, and therefor a false dragon, can be any woman. If anything channelers should be ostracized more, not recognized and accepted across all Randland.

The tower is just be a gaggle of false dragons. Rulers have strong channelers, potential dragons, not aligned with the tower by their side. The whitecloaks just wonder about slaughtering both for fun, and are arguably just in doing so. It sure makes the moral conundrum of ball gag slavery come s2 be a lot more interesting.

The world, whether book or TV, needs to be consistent for an audience to be able to predict. This show seemed to have just gone full tilt into late Game of Thrones despite the series being complete. Until the books really drag it is a good season format. Unfortunately that could not happen since Tam's ramblings make it obvious who the dragon is. Too much development and relying on good acting. Instead we have Rands come to Jesus moment regarding choice already introduced and solved. I really hope it turns into say s4 being campaigns completely distinct from the ef5 but I would actually gamble on that not happening.

You're assuming that the Aes Sedai believe that the Dragon dying before the last battle means that everything is just great and the Dark One is defeated by default. You're also assuming that the Aes Sedai wouldn't want to have control the the Dragon if it turns out the Dragon was a woman. I disagree on both counts.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Data Graham posted:

Honey, he's teasing you. Nobody has TWO rivers.

Oh my god :negative:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

silvergoose posted:

Lack of subtlety? You can't make things subtle in TV, general viewing audiences hate that, as I understand. Gotta spell things out, that's why the aes sedai wear their ajah colors.

When I was watching the show for the first time, having not read the books yet, that was a great decision by them because it was one thing I didn't have to keep track of when absorbing a new world with a ton of new characters. In the books you always had a POV character thinking "Liandrin, a Red, was being a huge POS again..." so you have to adapt that to the show through their outfits.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

tsob posted:

Why would it be a problem for anyone? They constantly do it in the books too. The show didn't invent that at all.

It's more of a solid rule in the show. In the books it was just the Ajah shawl that was always the appropriate color (but not always worn) until the tower split when the Aes Sedai got much more insular.

It's a good change though, people claiming otherwise will probably never like the show if they're complaining about every little difference without realizing why they were made.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 30, 2023

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I think the Stepin plotline was put in for people who haven't read the books. I thought it was an interesting episode when I first watched it, and I understood the importance after reading the books. I think it would have helped set the stakes for Lan and Rand's bond issues with Moiraine and Alanna down the line if I hadn't gone and read the books.

Are there other ways it could have been done? Probably, but I saw someone close to Lan die of grief because his Aes Sedai died, so I know what could happen to bonded people more important to the story.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Hughmoris posted:

Speaking of word counts...

Dana the fun-having Barmaid had 909 words spoken in 1 episode.

Perrin only spoke 55 more words in the entire first season.

They recast the wrong character.

silvergoose posted:

What does that even mean?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

All things without payoff until the last battle.
Dumai's Wells when Alanna can find Rand? The cleansing when Elayne can tell Rand is at the point where the Power is being used? Cadsuane generally using Alanna as a bloodhound whenever Rand runs off? Bryne being stronger and faster during the Seanchan attack of the Tower? Egwene having an excuse to force Myrelle to swear fealty? all the tension between Nynaeve and Lan/Moiraine/Myrelle? Logain bonding Aes Sedai against Taim's wishes.

The warder bond brings up plot points for the whole series, just because a few of them tie up at the end doesn't mean it isn't already important.

Sanderson then introduces the very silly 2 way bonding. Somehow that didn't need as much setup as the TV show needs.
It had the setup of having Asha'man and Aes Sedai bonding each other, but it's the first cross-bonding so it has to come later.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

And our show demonstration was that warders get super sad when their AS dies. I think, around the fire, some of those others were mentioned, but then why not just have exposition for the bond as a whole instead of making up net new characters? It's a bad show decision. I know certain people really do thing rafe can do no wrong. I never knew people felt so strongly about chuck.

Show, don't tell

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

th3t00t posted:

How much of the warder bond did you understand after season 1? Did you know Warders get super strength, agility, stamina and vitality? Did you know the bond was a weave of the one power? Did you know the overwhelming grief was a magical drawback, or did you think it was just regular grief over the loss of a really close relationship?

The most obvious thing was that they could feel what the other felt, and there were times that it seemed bordering on telepathic. A show watcher also knows it can be used to track each other, and that the Aes Sedai can mask it using the power. The One Power is definitely part of it since Moiraine can't undo the masking she's shielded at the end. The physical boost is hinted at when Moiraine has to help refresh the Emonds Fielders but Lan is still fresh already, unless I'm misremembering.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

cheesetriangles posted:

Let's go back to Mat and Rand traveling alone for months and their clothes are spotless.

They got naked every day together to wash their clothes in the Arinelle

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

We need an update on the show urgently to stop these arguments

I had a good lol when I saw this being posted as news

https://twitter.com/GoatsDueling/status/1641890232927768601

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Mad Hamish posted:

......go on....

Let's just say they invented a new sword form called Sheathing the Dagger

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Could be for a Rand flashback

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The people of #TwitterOfTime have figured out who most of the actors are who weren't shown

https://twitter.com/WotTVSeries/status/1648770258491133952

Rafe was, for some reason, impressed that a bunch of info-thirsty bored nerds hyped up on JordanCon were able to do it so quickly

https://twitter.com/rafejudkins/status/1648784040982462464

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Where the gently caress are Thom's massive moustaches

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Sarah is making sure she gets to watch the reactions of people to the q&a that happens today (starting at 4 or 4:30 est), but it's not something as big as a trailer. People are having fun wildly speculating about what it might be.

https://twitter.com/sarahenakamura/status/1649760018420453376

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

This twitter thread will have updates from the Amazon Q&A, though there's likely to be a stream/video posted soon enough.

https://twitter.com/WotTVSeries/status/1649863065058287616

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Here's the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNdO7IRClws

pik_d fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 23, 2023

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Either the Stone or Rhuidean

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

El Grillo posted:

Was this a shot from an interview on-set or something? Or a shot from an actual show clip

I guess it didn't embed properly originally

seaborgium posted:

Bain and Chiad, but no Gaul? He's a great character.

It makes perfect sense that Gaul would be kept away from Bain and Chiad in all things

pik_d fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 23, 2023

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Another theory about where that set is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xtRCq_z6ls

I'm not 100% convinced but they do at least point out a few details I missed, like the 7 smaller circles surrounding the larger one in what I saw as just a sun, and the vague image in the left archway.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

El Grillo posted:

Is any more news expected from JordanCon?

Nothing that we know about ahead of time, but #WoTWednesday's are back

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Hexel posted:

So this caused something of a stir today on twitter. This is the first time a prime video account has said something about when season 2 might be coming

https://twitter.com/primevideoph/status/1652584824144633857?s=46&t=FuVqINhLr5iT6f4jGf4sZg

🤔

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

CainFortea posted:

No, her strategy was absolute dog poo poo. Being an rear end in a top hat to someone isn't a way to make them laugh. Regardless of any supernatural forces involved.

It was never Cadsuane that got Rand to pull back. It was a fight he had within himself.

The fact that he almost nuked his father was the catalyst for that internal struggle. Cadsuane underestimated Rand but no one else was even putting in the effort.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Cadsuane literally put Tam in front of Rand. She clearly hoped it would work differently but Rand isn't seeing Tam or having his Veins of Gold internal struggle without Cadsuane.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Gambor posted:

So then you would agree that she wasn't absolutely correct in her goal and strategy.

Make him laugh and cry came from the Wise Ones, she just heard it and agreed. And her strategy was to convince Tam to try to manipulate Rand, not just put them together.

The criticism of Cadsuane isn't that her heart wasn't in the right place or whatever, but that her plan was bad and she never examined her flawed assumptions.

For sure she wasn't absolutely correct. However I do think she was among the best of the established Aes Sedai, and was instrumental in Rand turning things around and ultimately succeeding.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

It's not "about" her but she was the one actually doing poo poo. No, it didn't all go according to her plan, but no one else even had a plan. Just because she didn't successfully puppet master everything doesn't mean she doesn't deserve credit and wasn't critical to Rand's healing and ultimately winning.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

CainFortea posted:

Actually, no she doesn't deserve credit for her plan working, since her plan didn't work.

Where did I say she deserves credit for her plan working?

You seem hellbent on giving her absolutely nothing despite the fact that without her, Rand would have either died to Fain or gone over to the Shadow.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Yeah no her "strategy" yielded results in spite of itself. Her goals were spot on though. Her chutzpah was necessary, others followed her because they were already scared of and subservient to Rand. Sorilea is the only other one who may have been able to do something.

I just think that giving her no credit and talking about her as if she should have just shut up like all the other Aes Sedai is far more incorrect than giving her full marks (which is also wrong).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Once again I am not saying to give her credit for the execution of her plan.

I think she deserves credit for saving his life when Fain cut him. I think she deserves credit for not crumbling under the gaze of the Dragon like most Aes Sedai, for recognizing that he has emotional issues (even if she didn't diagnose it completely accurately), and most importantly for actually being willing to try something. She was willing to meet Sorilea as an equal when all other old Aes Sedai either looked down on the Aiel or ended up bowing to them.