Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I liked all the changes and enjoy eps 7-8

Now what

Now you will read my 3500-word essay on why your opinions are wrong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

CainFortea posted:

But it's not just the male a'dam. It's also basically everything she does. Because she decided he's just being an arrogant poo poo because power went to his head.

Do you remember where that comes up in the books? It fits with Min’s vision that Cadsuane has something to teach both Rand and every Asha’man, but the potential lesson I remember most strongly is Cadsuane’s conversation with Sorilea about whether strength and hardness are the same thing.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Does anyone else get momentarily confused when they see ads for Andor—the upcoming TV show set in the Star Wars universe?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

How are u posted:

This one has always been the worst and most cringey of WoT fandom's tics.

Are you saying Bela isn’t cool? Or Narg? I’ll fight you either way, I just want to know what we’re fighting about.

It’s a lot less tiresome to read theories about how Jar Jar is a Sith Lord, or Bela is the Creator, than it is to read about how predestination and prophecy in WoT mean Rand is some sort of sex-pest because everyone around him lacks the ability to give consent. I’ve read through this entire thread. Believe me, it gets old.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Since Wheel of Time came out, it seems like visual media have gotten more violent. Saving Private Ryan, various HBO properties, the Saw franchise (and other similar films). Would the body horror of the books still land as strongly to a modern viewer? Or would it just feel like Amazon trying to parrot Game of Thrones, and either failing to top the violence or going extra gratuitous to make sure the first thing doesn’t happen?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Okay question; in The Great Hunt, Ingtar says that the order for no one to leave that was in place during the welcome wasn't from Agelmar and he didn't know who it was from or something like that. Who the gently caress was it from? Ingtar himself, but he's lying outright in a way that's very, very easy to uncover? That always confused me, I don't remember ever seeing something that said who it was.

Encyclopedia WoT says it was probably Moiraine (who could certainly have twisted words to make people think that Agelmar wanted the gates closed). But if they don’t know who issued the order, it probably can’t be conclusively known this side of the afterlife.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

tsob posted:

I've heard good things about the Malazan books, though I've yet to read them.

People who think Jordan got lost in his own world really need to avoid Malazan. That is basically a 10-book series of detours, and even by the end of book 10 you don’t get the ending, just an ending (which is funny in the Wheel of Time thread, but even more true here if I am recalling correctly). There is still a ton left to deal with in the world Erikson created.

That said, the highs of that series are incredibly high, and I really enjoyed some of the places, people, and setting elements.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

RC Cola posted:

which one?

Is there another Reichstag? :v:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Isn't the whole Aiel future basically guaranteed to be avoided by making the Aiel the enforcers of the Dragon's Peace? That's what I always thought at least.

That is how I interpreted AMoL. By giving the Aiel a role to play that preserved their honor, they ensured that a senseless war against the Seanchan (the root cause of Aviendha’s visions) would be averted.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Mad Perrin: Furry Road

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

they had to burn most of it, so

“Had to”. I feel pretty sure there was a way to do that without actually setting fire to the entire drat set, but I can’t say I would have done differently if someone let me torch an entire village and not get in trouble for it.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I’m also in favor of that episode. Even if the actual plot points it sets up are multiple seasons down the line from now, I don’t see it as a problem to get those things down early. Sometimes you foreshadow a few episodes in advance, and sometimes you foreshadow a few seasons in advance. The tension is there for people who haven’t read the books but understand the idea of foreshadowing—this is too important a world building aspect not to come up again, but when, how, and to whom?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I thought Faile had a giant schnozz though

And I thought Lan was supposed to be a rocky crag of a man. Clearly the showrunners are making occasional changes to the characters. The way Jordan described Faile, no human actress could match her. Giant, beak-like, downward-pointing nose with sharply slanted Saldaean eyes. Who tf looks like that?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Democratic Pirate posted:

I have it on good authority he was last seen disappearing into a tall, metal tower. Maybe it was a spaceship.

Oh, poo poo. The SpaceX launch today wasn’t unmanned.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

silvergoose posted:

What prop would you take if you could take it home

Choedan Kal. Not the access keys. :colbert:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Wait, they’re doing a second season of Rings of Power? The impression I got here was that the show was a flop when held up against the amount of money Amazon poured into it.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Granted, it’s been a while since I read the books, but I can’t even remember what Cadsuane’s strategy was. Her goal, yeah, that I recall: to get Rand to emote. But what steps did she take in service of that goal, rather than in service to Rand? I’ve forgotten.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
The reason they think this is because “laughs at jokes == romantic interest” is a common literary/TV device. No author would waste time on all the social interactions that don’t matter to the story, so any time something like this does come up, it’s probably because it matters to the story somehow.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Hexel posted:

Why is Ishy with the seanchan?

And why is Loial with them? New turning of the Wheel, indeed.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
That is almost exactly what I had pictured in my head. Maybe a slightly smaller headpiece, but drat.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Faile/Perrin is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of “long plots that could have been avoided or resolved quickly with open communication”, especially since the characters have every reason to be honest with each other.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Fobby posted:

I'm trying to picture how they'd film that prologue when Demandred goes into the mountain to talk to the Dark One, but in my imagination the DO's ALL CAPITAL LETTER VOICE sounds like Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget when he's shouting so I'm having a hard time taking them seriously.

Never saw the full movie, but Benedict Cumberbatch’s Smaug from the Hobbit trilogy sounded the right combination of deep and grindy when I listened to the trailers.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I love the epilogue rumours

And the news that Pedron Niall gets through his spymasters. Jordan was so adroit at that sort of thing.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Didn’t the last battle kick off days after she healed that guy? There were other things to worry about, and I recall getting sweet eff all in the way of epilogue that didn’t involve Rand and his harem. Maybe she taught others after the literal end of creation had been averted.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I now want the show to be about Logain

Go watch Casa de Papel/Money Heist. If the show is going to axe Thom Merrilin as a character, at least it looks like we’ll get more Logain to make up for it. (Haven’t seen any of the preview material for S2 yet, so maybe we’re extra lucky and get lots of both characters!)

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
From a Doylist perspective, what was the need for the Elayne succession plotline? Was it just to give roughly equal page time to Elayne compared against Aviendha, Min, Egwene, and Nynaeve? What happened that sets up later action, or that follows through on previous plot points? Did Jordan simply want to experiment with Martin-esque political intrigue?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
If the show takes the tack of “Ishamael has been quietly, irregularly manipulating the world for the past 3000 years”, then the Eye/Shayol error is very easy to explain. This is one of his manipulations, tricking the Dragon Reborn into releasing him by forcing a conflict at the location of a seal rather than at the Bore itself.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Arrath posted:

Oh that's a conscious choice? I had just been assuming more poo poo broke.

Nah, the genius behind Twitter decided to try and boost user signups by blocking *all* Tweets from non-users. This had the side effect of killing all ad revenue generated by the vast majority of people without a Twitter account, and the decision was walked back to “non-users only get to see one Tweet, but no replies”. I’ve still never seen an ad since the change was partially rolled back, so I dunno what X is doing to recoup the ad revenue they willingly gave up. I guess the financial masterminds determined that it saves more money to not show me X’s than it earns to show me ads mid-thread. :shrug:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Donnerberg posted:

Liandrin lies to Mat when she reads the letter.

It'll be fun seeing when the TV thread picks up on it.

My non-book-reading wife picked up on that, as well as the fact that Liandrin made a weapon with the One Power and threatened Nynaeve with it.

Also, was the little girl from the darkfriend social in episode 1 the same as the girl who escaped when Fain attacked the Tinkers? I can’t go back and check right now.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

CainFortea posted:

LIandrin Theory.

We're going to see her turn to the shadow in the show. She's going to be severely punished for almost killing Nyneave, and a Black Ajah member is going to reach out to her and basically say "Hey, we can get you out of this punishment, we just need you to get Nyneave and Egwene to Falme" and she's going to agree.

I don’t buy that. We have her either playing Aes Sedai games with the oaths or blatantly on-screen lying about the Mat Cauthon letters. And if it’s the former, the show needs to point out specifically that she didn’t technically lie. What happened was obvious enough that even non-book-readers picked up on it, so if she isn’t already dark it’s a writing misstep.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

St0rmD posted:

I predicted this at the end of season 1. Cairhien and Caemlyn just merged into one city for the show, all plots between the two remixed together.

I believe both cities have been explicitly mentioned by name as of the end of episode three. Cairhien, of course, has also appeared visually.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Nion posted:

One thing that kind bugged me is the idea that Nynaeve is ten times as strong as Egwene. It just seems like messing up the world building for some manufactured jealousy drama.

Manufactured jealousy drama? In my Amazon Prime presents Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time? Well, I never! That makes no fewer than three instances, after the Laila/Egwene/Perrin love triangle thing from S1E1, the Perrin/Rand/Egwene love triangle thing from S1E7, and now the Nynaeve/Egwene thing from S2.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

VanillaGorilla posted:

I mean the ship on Liandrin kind of sailed in the first episode where she made a weapon with the power and threatened Nynaeve with it.

In book 2, the Amyrlin makes herself a blade of the One Power just like Liandrin did here. She didn’t threaten anyone with it, but mere creation does seem to be something the oaths allowed for. Or Siuan Sanche was also unbound by the time we meet her… :tinfoil:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I mentioned that letter earlier, and the response was that Liandrin’s exact wording was “no mention of Mat Cauthon”. The letters all say “Mat”, you see, not “Mat Cauthon”. I find this argument unconvincing, but time will tell if Liandrin is already Black Ajah or if she was splitting hairs with the oaths.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

CainFortea posted:

That is not the second oath. "To make no weapon with which one man may kill another". An air blade she is holding can not be used by another. Also she isn’t a man.

You’re confusing Wheel of Time with Lord of the Rings here. The oath in the first season used the word “person”, not “man”. That loophole is closed.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

-Seanchan's arrival is not impressive. A few dozen soldiers attacking in a what, a 40-people village? they tried to subtly justify it showing it was indeed a raid to get power-sensitive girls, but still, it doesn't make sense for Lady Suroth going with just a few dozen soldiers. The Seanchan might is supposed to be like the Roman legions: big, well organized, well trained, professional armies.

If you look at Suroth’s side, though, we have Ishamael. Who clearly wanted Perrin captured. This is possibly attributable to Ishamael guiding Suroth’s decisions toward an outcome he wanted. Also, the number of Seanchan soldiers was comparable to the number of people in the village. You don’t spend 400 soldiers on one village if 40 will do and leave you 360 to search the surrounding countryside.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

eke out posted:

yeah it feels like at any point they could be like "wow we had no idea a male channeler as powerful as ishamael could tie off a shield weave for that long" or whatever. or maybe there's no fakeout and she's actually stilled, but it seems like they've left plenty of room to go back on it

Women can’t see men’s weaving even in the show. Rand and Logain are the only two characters who might be able to tell something is wrong if Moiraine is shielded. Maybe once Moiraine meets Logain later this season (speculation on my part) we’ll get more information.

If she is stilled, Moiraine will be traveling with the first person Nynaeve healed of gentling/stilling. Would not be too difficult for Liandrin to use the deposing of Siuan as the excuse to get Egwene/Elayne/Nynaeve to “safety”, which sets up Salidar and Nynaeve arriving there to figure out her power as a healer. Basically, there are options for the show’s writers either way.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
We also can’t be entirely sure whether those channelers were always in the population, or were spun out by the Pattern as part of the buildup toward Tar’mon Gaidon. Jordan did a heckuva job building a world where there are multiple competing explanations, all equally plausible.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

it doesn't seem like she could really get away to wherever Ish was holding his little get together and then make it back in time without anyone noticing she was gone.

The Darkfriend Social happened in Tel’aran’rhiod according to the Amazon bonus blurbs. Joining would not have been a huge imposition for anyone present (time zones aside).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Theorycrafting time: if we want Liandrin merged with Alviarin, what knock-on effects are there? Liandrin can’t be the one to hand the girls over to the Seanchan, or else it’ll be a giveaway when the girls get back to the Tower later. Maybe she rouses the girls, warns them of danger, and then hands them over to another Aes Sedai who will “get them to safety”. That leaves it ambiguous whether Liandrin or the other woman is Black Ajah.

Alternately, maybe they skip the plotline where Siuan gives the wonder girls the quest to hunt Black Ajah. Maybe they move up Siuan’s deposing a lot, such that the danger Liandrin warns about is the fighting surrounding that. And the girls realize independently that there must be darkfriends in the tower, taking on that mission without the Amyrlin’s orders.