Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Just because I came across this poo poo elsewhere and we should probably put a stake in the ground on it.

The law does not care in this case if Rael's interactions with Mignogna reach the legal definition of rape! Rael is a defendant, and doesn't have to prove anything. Furthermore, as long as Rael believes she was raped, and was not lying about being raped, it doesn't really matter whether what happened is an prosecution-able rape.

Also, the case is not exactly about one incident. Vic can't keep his loving hands off children, including back when he was 27 and a youth minister or w/e and invited a 16 year old over to pray at a tiny white idol.

It doesn't matter what you think of "cancel culture" or whatever dozens of women have credible accusations against Vic, even before he was Ed. That's all that matters here. If he doesn't want people to call him a pedo he should've loving kept his hands off of children.

(It also doesn't really matter at the base of it if Funimation was a cool place to work or not. Taking part in harassment in the workplace is still harassment. That is so tangential I have no idea.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

khy posted:

Can someone TL;DR this for me?

Why is this Vic Mignogia guy suing others (Aside from the hope for an easy payoff)? Like, what's his rationale behinds the cases? Is he trying to deflect attention from poo poo or what? I'm having a slightly tough time from the links provided getting a clear picture here.

Obviously not trying to be super unbiased:

Vic is a voice actor. He famously has played Ed in Full Metal Alchemist, and Broly in DBZ movie (and other poo poo, look it up I guess). Recently Funimation, Rooster Teeth, etc. has said they won't work with him anymore, and in addition several cons have started uninviting him because he keeps trying to corner young ladies into uncomfortable situations. If you care for details you can read here: https://io9.gizmodo.com/one-of-anime-s-biggest-voices-accused-of-sexual-harassm-1832390505 (but warning it's loving full of descriptions of him forcing himself on people).

Someone started a #kickvic hashtag to get him kicked out of the industry. Chud-mongers started a legal defense fund for Vic milking anime fans like this is their Gamers Gate. This lawsuit is the first of the Defend Vic Legal Fund.

He's butthurt cause people are speaking out against him being an rear end, so he sues an easy target and Funimation. Presumably to prevent others from coming out from fear of reprisal.

The case has been a laughable series of gently caress ups even beyond trying to sue people for libel when you're basically libelproof, such as incorrect filings, late filings, forging notary. It's hard to document it all.

There is (ostensibly) a hearing tomorrow.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

LOL @ "It is the law that is wrong" haha. No KF, it's OK to call a man who has a loving 30 year history of attempting to molest underage girls a pedophile. You guys really picked a loving winner to stan here. Maybe next time pick someone without a storied history of what you say they didn't do.

For those following along at home, the vicstans are claiming that all 30 years of Vic's documented molestation are a conspiracy because <reason missing> even before he was Ed.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

fritz posted:

I checked, and Times v. Sullivan is :

It's a huge trumper thing cause trump doesn't like the fact that people can say bad things about him.

EDIT: Yeah the Funimation leak thing was caught up in this too but IDK why anyone thinks it has bearing on this trial. Funimation being a terrible place doesn't mean that their statements or more or less libelous.

It's like the Vicstans don't actually know how law works or what's actually on trial here.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 7, 2019

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Baka-nin posted:

Pretty much, when I first heard about the site I got curious and tried to check it out. But all that would load was a rant by the sites owner complaining about some users who had doxxed him after an argument on the forum. Its pretty much just a gathering of extreme misanthropes who can't stand each other.

also in supreme hypocracy the site owner takes down threads doxxing himself. What a fuckball.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Kortel posted:

Real question, what the gently caress is Stanning?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMhN-hfMtY

EDIT: It can _also_ mean superfan, because the K-pop scene picked up the term with a positive spin.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

AnoHito posted:

Apparently 4chan also thinks KF are pieces of poo poo, so my money's on them.

Probably this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS-0Az7dgRY

Oxxidation posted:

haven't checked for myself but i heard the site is still up

everyone's IP data was compromised though

The person running it took it down to ensure that only the right people were able to be doxxed ("check the security"). It's back up.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah I hadn't....seen him talk before and holy poo poo how did people not know this guy was a creeper?

Sadly it's kind of more.. "why didn't anyone do anything about it."

The fucker tried to rape 16 year olds when he was a youth pastor. That was 30 years ago. This is not loving new.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Some of those were wrong too because the judge hasn't ruled on conspiracy for 2 of the defendants.

I really hope it doesn't make it to discovery, because it's pretty loving clear that Ty & team intend to use discovery to rake a bunch more people over the coals.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Looking ahead... if this survived the MtD and everything.... I have no idea how the gently caress this survives a jury trial.

All you have to do is put Robin Blankenship-McConnell on the stand and repeat what happened to her when she was 16 (for reference she should be about 45 now) as stated (WARNING: as with most of this stuff about Vic there are details about unwanted advances contained within)here. I'm not sure how any of the rest of this survives a jury.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Anora posted:

Can't the judge dismiss the case "with prejudice" and basically kill any attempt to appeal? Not sure how that works.

So you can appeal any ruling. Appeals, however, must reference errors in law (not errors in fact). Basically you have to prove that the judge misapplied a law or precedent inside of the case. You can't bring new evidence, or change evidence, or simply argue that you don't agree with a finding of fact (i.e. you can't just disagree with if they believe a witness or not).

"With prejudice" just means that the dismissal is on the merits of the case. A Judge can dismiss due to some procedural thing or another "without prejudice" which means the plaintiff is welcome to present the case to the court again with procedural errors repaired.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

mallratcal posted:

Yup. I'm wondering how the phone call between him and his lawyer went after that last hearing.

He probably treats his lawyers like poo poo. Apparently he treats everyone else like poo poo so IDK why they would be any different. I doubt they called him. Besides there's not _really_ a reason for him to show up, ultimately. It's just a hearing, he couldn't testify.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

What's actually hilarious is.. it's too loving late jackasses! You can't bring new evidence in on an appeal!

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Bootcha posted:

So, slightly relevant question.

There is a shitshow court case of different proportions that will be a public trial around LA that I am interested in next year.

I am considering crowdfunding both a court transcript and a court sketcher. The court sketcher will have the directive to make everyone's heads cat heads. What would be the costs I should expect for multiple days?

Bootcha shouldn't this be bear heads?

Real answer is on transcripts it depends on current workload, since they are all done after the fact anyway, you're just paying to speed it up.

Elissia posted:

If Nick were acting in good faith the GFM would have been run by Vic beforehand, he would have referred Vic to someone who actually handles defamation cases instead of an idiot who only ever does estate work, and the lawsuit would have been primarily focused on Funimation/RT/various con heads instead of 2 women who are basically contractors.
So it basically falls apart instantly if you look at it for more than a couple seconds

If the point were that Vic is trying to resolve an actual tort you would be right.

But since the point is to silence some ladies with first hand experience, and also to shame a larger population through abusive discovery; this seems right on target. Ty and Nick expect to get to discovery somehow. We'll see how this goes.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Maybe they're going to sue someone else in the meantime. Seems like a useful move... direct the horde's attention to something that's not dying. "We need ur money to own the sjw lib cucks."

I'm pretty certain he can't actually appeal until the court issues it's decision so he can appeal agains the specific points in the decision? IDK though.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Let's have a second to chat about litigation strategy here.

Nick & Team want to drag this out. THey wan tto sue many more people and drag their name through the mud. So do you:

* Settle this, and prevent the bench from issuing any other judgement, paying fines from whatever and then suing your next victims.
OR
* let the judge rule, rule Vic libel-proof, and allow any further actions to reference this legal fact finding.

Which do you do?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

look at https://www.lacymalone.com/davidseidler ....

This dude is having a working retirement from disbarring idiots like ty.... I don't think this is going the way they want.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Lol. The YouTube channels that support him think this is a HUGE WIN. The comments are loving delusional.

Wait is Ty back on youtube? Right after a court directly told them to stop inciting their supporters? Is this not contempt? (Obviously Nick isn't connected so he can do whatever the gently caress he wants)

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

So conjecture is fun and I'll throw my hat in the ring.

The Hon. Judge Chupp is WAY more online than he is letting on. Someone up-thread mentioned this already... but I ask you for a second to look at the case, and think about what's not there. An explanation of twitter. An explanation of retweeting. Dude is not an idiot. So he's not.... threatened personally per se by the vile being thrown his way.

No this is a warning.

First off it's a warning to all the parties what hell they're going to have to go through if the case keeps lumbering on.

Second it's a warning to ty and co that he knows what's going on here, and they better pay attention.

And Third it's signaling to the internet that "Hey look the sheriff is looking at these" to prevent idiot Vicstans from committing suicide by sheriff unwittingly.

Vic has one more chance not to bollocks this up royally.

IMO.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I don't see what either party reasonably puts on the table that the other actually cares about. Ty likely doesn't know he's losing, and thus far the other lawyers in his firm don't seem to have been able to convince him otherwise. The individual (i.e. not funimation) defendants would probably settle for some sort of statement of guilt and admittance of misbehavior from Vic (along with laywer's fees) and I can't see anyone advising Vic to do that. Funimation likely doesn't even care at this point it's probably barely a line item for them, plus their exposure is very small. Vic would likely at minimum get a gag order of some sort, which doesn't seem satisfactory, and likely looks like a "win". Who knows.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 20, 2019

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Frank Oz

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I doubt anything happens to Nick. Unless like Ty's law firm manages to publish documents with an agreement for Ty to pay Nick for the referral or something.

Ty might have to pay sanctions... But I really think that if they reach a settlement that it won't happen. Unless I'm completely mistaken about what can be settled (And given the judge's statement, I suspect that the judge would accept any reasonable settlement)

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

To play devil’s advocate is there any way that could be favorable to him

Assuming some sort of settlement involves: All laywers fees; some sort of promise not to pursue further action; and statements on all parts. All of which seem like the most reasonably favorful thing for Vic.

Vic gets:
* To stop spending money on a laywer.
* Probably to not be found to be libelproof.
* To claim some form of victory.

Ty gets to not have to pay a bunch of fines.

Defendants get to stop being put through this. Jamie doesn't have to do anything technically since all the charges against her are dismissed but at least she wont' have to go through appeals. and like the judge said, who knows what some other judge is going to think. Funimation proooobably doesn't care? It's probably barely a line item to them so they're likely happy to pay for whatever legal proceedings they need. Rial & Toye probably have the most to gain since charges haven't been dismissed yet and there is a small chance at least one of them gets to trial (And also likely don't have the same resources everyone else does to keep fighting).

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

TheHan posted:

I'm shocked that they're willing to risk it all on this awful case instead of settling and grifting their base some more. Vic's gotta be the one who won't take no for an answer right? Ty's folded in front of the judge every time but Vic's been so totally removed from the process that he probably only knows as much as his lawyers tell him.

Ty probably doesn't know how bad things are here, and so is likely not giving an accurate view of reality to Vic. Also, realistically, the defendants don't have a lot to gain from negotiations at this point, except in the case that one or more points move forward, in which case the battle over discovery is going to be fierce and awful for everyone involved except Vic.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it can't be that bad, ty doesn't know anything about discovery if the case so far is anything to go by

He brought it up during the hearing actually. My assumption, based on the couple of things Ty said, was that they wanted to get a discovery order so they can, for instance, troll through discord logs to find people saying "I want to cut off Vic's balls" or w/e.

Because this is all about silencing victims and dissent.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Like my legalese is weak as hell, but doesn't dismissed with prejudice basically means "You're done with this specific type of poo poo" so that means Mignogna and his team can't do the same poo poo anymore or else they face hefty fines down the road?

It basically means "You aren't allowed to bring this tort back for these actions again."

Basically compare too: "You need to file somewhere else but I am not judging this on the merits of the case"

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Hub Cat posted:

Yeah here is his current (2 days ago) view on it. I picked that mini-thread because its a better explanation of legal malpractice generally
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1180537981179977730?s=20

Vic probably can't make that argument because 2 competent attorneys told him not to sue before Beard and Rekieta came along

Also he really needs to show net real damaged from Ty's actions; since Vic is basically libel-proof at this point he has a huge uphill battle claiming that Ty made his reputation worse. (Like if you assaulted a bunch of ladies nobody much cares if you also cut in line or w/e)

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Oh. Pro tip. This language was ADDED to the Texas TCPA:

Texas House Bill 2730 posted:

(c)AAThis chapter applies to a legal action against a victim
or alleged victim of family violence or dating violence as defined
in Chapter 71, Family Code, or an offense under Chapter 20, 20A, 21,
or 22, Penal Code, based on or in response to a public or private
communication.

(Texas) PENAL CODE TITLE 5. OFFENSES AGAINST THE PERSON CHAPTER 21. SEXUAL OFFENSES

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Fangz posted:

Can they eventually try and take it to the supreme court?

Technically yes but the Supreme Court usually doesn't pick things up that haven't gone to the state supreme court. Also they're not going to pick this up, because it's a case with an obvious answer and no real precedent setting decisions to make/validate. THere's some rumblings of wanting to strike down Sullivan v. the NYT decision because Trumpers hate the "public figure" rules... this is a poor case because that's not the only or primary reason Vic lost.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Takoluka posted:

From what I understand, but you know, conservative Christian School with sex pest is gonna defend sex pest forever to save face.

They did fire him right after the complaint was registered. It's not official or w/e but that happened a lot in the 90s. I don't think in this case they can be said to be defending him, they probably just don't want to incur legal issues for speaking out (I wonder why they would think that might happen).

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Hub Cat posted:

One of the Texas lawyers is saying its legally fine but incredibly dumb and most of that letter from Lemoine looks like him trying to clarify whats on the record for the appeal and a little bit "strike this poo poo please because it was late".

Chupp has no control over the appeal but its so incredibly dumb to go all in on the appeal if Chupp can still reduce the record to the poo poo filing and Beard withdrew all the affidavits not in the revised filing.

The big question is if the appeal puts a stay on the sanctions and fees hearing, imo. the GFM croud isn't going to like paying for lawyers for ~~FEMALES~~

Wark Say posted:

Here's what I don't get: If what I'm getting from all these posts you guys are putting forth is that Mignogna's legal team basically made a pointless effort, what exactly are they getting out of this by jumping the gun? Isn't the judge more likely to pile some further fines for poo poo like this? Or is it going to be a different judge?

It's likely that either the appeals court will grant a motion to dismiss without prejudice and instruct Ty to wait, or just hold the appeal until Chupp has rendered his final judgement. I assume it's just signaling to the GFM croud to open their wallets to millionaires.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Skwirl posted:

250k I think, so a third of what Funimation is asking for. And there are 3 more defendants.

Dawgstar posted:

And it's quite possible, even likely, they're going to ask for A Lot because as somebody pointed out unlike Funimation they didn't have to deal with death threats and harassment.

Funimation is asking for about 201k just to be clear. But yeah it'll probably be upwards of 800k to a mil after all the defendants are done asking for fees, costs & sanctions.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

is this allowed in Texas? I thought in most courts you had to ask?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Also I think Vic is probably too stupid to follow rules he doesn't like, even if it prevents him a million dollar fine.

EDIT: Does anyone know where the breakdown of relief requested by Vic is (where did 5 mil come from)? It's not in the original complaint.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 6, 2019

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

he was a cop wtf

He was a "summer seasonal officer" which prolly meant he was like a crossing guard when he wasn't teaching school.

EDIT: Really if you think about it most of the activities he participates in are to increase his contact with young women.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

My mind went more to "Yeah let's give this dude more roles where he will be surrounded by young women."

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I bet ISWV is running victory laps because now that one con person doesn't have to admit he committed purgery.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

quote:

Defendant has

pursued a strategy of hunting and attacking public statements made by Plaintiff and non-
parties, and seeks sanctions as a means of silencing Plaintiff.

PROJECTING MUCH GUYS

edit: Sorry boys I don't think the "accuse the other side of exactly what you are doing to confuse the issue" thing the alt right loves to employ is gonna pay off for you in a cort of law with specific evidence.... but nice try.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Chupp, for better or worse, is most likely trying to make it attractive for Vic to stop bothering the court with this bullshit and move along.

I think he's trying, through the new representation to be like "here's a minor olive branch. Please stop doing this poo poo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Man, you could've just gone with the "finally reached the toilet after painting my pants feces-brown-and-green" analogy. Like wasn't the judge basically telling him "Take the L and get the gently caress outta here, for if you do this again, we're properly cleaning you up" with the previous results?

Yes.

Basically at this point Vic has double downed twice on this. The mediation was one point where it was like "OMG please get out before you hurt yourself." and then the fees were basically like "Look, go away kid before this gets very painful."

It's a huge gamble too cause I wouldn't judge Chipp to be particularly on the moving defendants side. You could get someone worse even if you win on appeal.