Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

The whole thing has been an incredible train wreck. Vic's lawyer now forging signatures has to be the dumbest thing to happen in a case that is overflowing with stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Maera Sior posted:

https://twitter.com/HaygoodLaw/status/1169704145554722817

So, Ty didn't know this, which was why he forged their signatures and fraudulently claimed himself as notary. He could have just had them sign it themselves without notarizing (thus no crimes) or just forged their signatures without notarizing (fewer crimes).

Someone started a thread for people who will be attending tomorrow, so hopefully people will post to it. https://twitter.com/LizaGaines/lists/threadnought-hearing

Jesus it's even dumber now.

Edit: Greg (the main twitter lawyer who has been chronicling this) now thinks the hearing tomorrow will be all about untangling Ty's bad lawyering. So the hearing on whether the case should be dismissed will end up getting rescheduled.

mallratcal fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 6, 2019

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Sounds like Ty is getting raked over the coals. You'd think the best defamation lawyer in Texas would be doing a better job.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Whoa! Ruling from the bench!

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Piell posted:

https://twitter.com/ottovonbisbark/status/1170011499785572352

expected result, but bad for Vic. (LPPF is Limited Purpose Public Figure)

Yeah, that's it for him.

This is an incredible beatdown.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Rhonne posted:

I'm not following this too closely, but did Vic hire Lionel Hutz?

This is being too kind to Percy.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Rhonne posted:

I'm not following this too closely, but did Vic hire Lionel Hutz?

He's an estates lawyer.

Percy added defamation law to his area of expertise on his website when LawTwitter asked him if he had ever litigated a defamaton case before. He then removed it from his site once LawTwitter informed him that claiming he was a defamation expert would increase the sanctions payout (and help Vic in a malpractice suit) when he loses the case.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Beaten.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Judge: did he have a contract? Ty: some of them. Judge: which? Ty: I don’t know.

The one thing he'd have to know to prove TI...

Edit: Monica now clear of all TI claims.

mallratcal fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 6, 2019

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/ottovonbisbark/status/1170021401400696832?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Toye clear on TI.

Judge kind of a savage.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Skwirl posted:

So, assuming everything is dismissed like it sounds like, what's the next step for the defendants and their lawyers to file an anti-SLAPP suit? Would that come up today or would it be a separate filing?

It's already part of the filing. If everything gets dismissed today the judge would set a hearing for sanctions.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/ottovonbisbark/status/1170028220982468608?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

He is going with the Lionel Hutz gambit!

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

So many bench rulings and the judge agreeing Vic is a public figure is devastating.

Wonder how Nick will spin this?

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

PST posted:

The farms and assorted other gater places are fluctuating between (paraphrasing)

Chupp was clearly already biased, all of this will be overturned on appeal

Ty is bad, Vic will get another trial to do this with a better lawyer

Maybe 80+ lawyers were right and Nick and Ty have been lying to us

This is outrageous, this means innocent men can be accused and found guilty when they clearly didn't do anything wrong.

They shook

Today is a good day. :)

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Expensive day for Vic.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1170034327125733376?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Gotta wonder if they'll crowdfund to play off the new legal/court fees (if he gets stuck with them)

Oh he's already stuck with them. Vic has to pay all attorney fees for the stuff that got dismissed today. On top of whatever his own lawyer charges him (bills the GFM).

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Maera Sior posted:

Oh hey, it got a writeup in The Dallas Morning News.

Good God.

Dallas News posted:

At one point in Beard’s arguments against Marchi, Chupp said, “I don’t think you have any evidence and that’s your problem.”

Beard later reacted with surprise when Chupp indicated he had dropped all the claims against March: “Wait, defamation was dismissed as well?”

“Yes, I said that a long time ago,” Chupp had to point out.

In another exchange, a slightly exasperated Chupp said, “Am I not being clear?” Beard responded, “No, your honor, it’s that I’m not listening“ -- to which the judge said, “It would help if you would.”

I need these transcripts!

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Anora posted:

What did he miss the court for today, didn't he have a subpoena to go to it?

He was in California for a con or something. His lawyer filed a motion to quash the subpoena which put a stay on the subpoena. Now that the hearing is over the subpoena is moot.

Not a good look to skip your own hearing though.

Aw yeah! This will tide me over.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Anora posted:

So if Vic does/can sue Beard or BFL for mishandling the case, do you think they'll represent themselves?

Ty's firm has already brought in outside counsel to help mitigate the sanctions payouts and it's likely they would continue to use them in case Vic goes after them for malpractice. Good odds that law firm just nopes the gently caress out of there though.

Wark Say posted:

Like I know the whole "A man representing himself has a fool for a client" thing is what you're going for, which fair enough, seems like the normal course of action, but didn't Mignogna tried to actually search two legit law firms to represent him and in both cases the firms went "Nope!" as quickly as possible, so he basically got saddled with Beard because Mignogna is legal poison?

Yup, that's 100% what happened. I think he only found Ty after speaking with Nick.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

You did khy.

As for the fees the 9 dismissals yesterday (and the remaining 5 in 30 days should they also be dismissed) by law have to be paid by the plaintiff. Vic probably thinks that GFM will cover it but his own lawyer has likely already billed that account in full.

There is a chance that the judge awards the full amount of the GFM to the defendants as well. Under the SLAPP law, sanctions should be applied to a degree that the plaintiff won't launch another similar lawsuit.

Edit: SLAPP law, not TCPA.

mallratcal fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 7, 2019

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

lol I was just going to post that. Surely going after the judge is a smart move.

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1170406639343521793?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Already up to a grand! Nice!

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Yeah it blewup in their faces when one of the top tweets of the #Cancel Funimation was Vic's deposition transcripts.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

The kiwis have started a thread to make fun of the vicstans. I guess that's to be expected though.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Keltar posted:

So they're making fun of themselves?

Pretty much. Turns out even most of them think attacking the judge is a dumb idea.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

He's actively getting dumber.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

fritz posted:

Vic's still getting work :

https://twitter.com/NaviNabob/status/1171881995451789312?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Going to be the greatest most fun con ever! Just avoid the mall walkers.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Wark Say posted:

It's just grifting and/or rapist idiots all the way down, isn't it?

e: I mean on Mignogna's side. Not on Rial/Marchi/Toye's side.

It certainly looks that way.

Also lol at Nick having to ask TY for money.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

The mall con has been moved. Note the waste treatment plant nearby.

https://twitter.com/JacobLineback/status/1172322148070748167?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

mallratcal fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 13, 2019

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

gently caress yeah!

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I think it's been posted before but this bit from the judge cracks me up.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Justin_Brett posted:

It's a futile hope but I still hope Vic deeply regrets hiring these men at the very least.

He'll feel it when he's paying out of pocket for the Defendants lawyers.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

divabot posted:

So what's the split on attorney fees like? All Vic, some Vic some Ty? How does this work in Texas?

I'm thinking of one Florida case where the judge emphasised that the defendant was a massive liar and was gonna pay the other side's fees personally, but his attorneys had been nothing but professional. (Bitcoin nonsense with Craig Wright, who is not Satoshi Nakamoto. My blog post on the ruling. The ruling itself is a great read.)

For the (what was it, 9 or 12?) counts that were dismissed (so far) Vic is on the hook for all lawyer fees that pertained to those suits. If the rest of the counts are also dismissed Vic will be paying for those too, as under Texas law if you are the plaintiff and lose to a SLAPP filing you get stuck with the attorney fees.

There are also sanctions that the judge can apply as a penalty for bringing the frivolous suit. A lot of people have said that sanctions are supposed to be applied to deter the plaintiff from trying to file another such suit. So in theory the judge could order whatever the total of the GFM is to the defendants on top of the attorney fees. And Vic's own lawyer has undoubtedly already billed that GFM dry at this point. So Vic could be paying a whole lot of money.

I think sanctions are at the discretion of the judge so if he's feeling kind to Vic it will just be the defendants attorney's fees Vic will have to pay.

Edit: Thanks for the bitcoin links, I'm always down to read about some bitcoin fuckery.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Wark Say posted:

Hasn't Mignogna been a no-show on anything court-related so far since he's in a podunk town appearing at a mall or something?

Yup. I'm wondering how the phone call between him and his lawyer went after that last hearing.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Elfgames posted:

sure but if he has to give up the go fund me funds and all his stans have their money taken by the evil :females: then that would be delicious.

I'm really hoping that this happens, maybe that will finally get them to wise up and realize that they have been lied to.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

If they have gotten *this far* and haven't realized they're being lied to, they won't ever.

It's also probably easier to live in denial than admitting they have been taken advantage of.

It would just be hilarious if they turned on Ty and Nick.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

since rekitikitavi wasn't actually the lawyer on the case could he still face problems

I don't think so. Law twitter (Greg specifically) said it was possible if Vic brought a malpractice suit against Ty, as there was a conflict of interest by Nick recommending Ty be Vic's lawyer.

I doubt Vic files a malpractice suit though.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Kurui Reiten posted:

I want Vic to try to file a malpractice suit against Ty

using Nick.

It was the longest of cons, all to get full access to his trust fund.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I'm wondering how you prove conflict of interest or malpractice from this. Vic, Nick and Ty all being taken to the cleaners would be an ideal outcome, but I don't know how we get there from here.

I looked for the tweet but can't find it in the threadnaught. And it's not in the mini thread about malpractice that ended on June 28th.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1144735936921690112?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

SoftNum posted:

I'm pretty certain he can't actually appeal until the court issues it's decision so he can appeal agains the specific points in the decision? IDK though.

That's 100% accurate.