Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I remember last season Derek Carr shat the bed when under pressure and he looked good v the broncos probably cause Miller and Chubb didn't get close to generating any. I saw them drop into coverage a few times which is just what Bob Sutton had Dee Ford do last season and that worked just dandy didn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Rabble posted:

My favorite part was that BoB had to call a timeout and use a challenge to get the refs to look at the spot but later in the game the Saint’s get an “Official’s Review” for essentially the same thing without having to challenge.

Not excusing BoB’s waste of a time out, he should have just challenged in the first place. But the officiating all game was awful.

Have you watched a football game before? Everything questionable within the last two minutes of a half are reviewed by the refs. They also hosed up and stole like 20 seconds off the clock because of that review.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

indigi posted:

yes and I think we need one for CEOs

Give CEOs the cap and remove it from football

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

a neat cape posted:

Give CEOs the cap and remove it from football

you realize that would make the patriots, cowboys and giants the crushing, dominant forces in the NFL with every other team begging for scraps?

I don't want to live in that world

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Play posted:

you realize that would make the patriots, cowboys and giants the crushing, dominant forces in the NFL with every other team begging for scraps?

I don't want to live in that world

Yeah that's why the Yankees win the world series every year

Wait

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

HereticMIND posted:

Here’s an interesting video I found about breaking down Lamar’s TD passes and some of his decision making: https://youtu.be/KiFVfP4SVug

“BuT It’S MIamI!” You cry, spraying Cheeto dust all over your keyboard as you whine.

To that I say “Stop trying to take this away from him; if it were against the Patriots you’d still be giving him crap.”

“HE’s a RuNNinG BaCK!” You shout, Mountain Dew erupting from your maw as it stains your monitor with its putrid stench.

“He only scrambled ONCE during that game, and it was only for a first down,” I reply, growing weary of your tirade.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

a neat cape posted:

Yeah that's why the Yankees win the world series every year

Wait

the Yankees havent had a losing season in like 27 years

Play
Apr 25, 2006

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

not to mention having 40 AL pennants and 27 World Series championships

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
The Yankees have lost more world series than the #2 in World Series won has even won.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

The Mets have
The angels have
the Dodgers have (until recently)
The white Sox have
The Cubs have

All big market teams that should be dominating the sport and winning every world series

Certainly not teams like Houston or Kansas City or Miami

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Play posted:

not to mention having 40 AL pennants and 27 World Series championships

Like 20 of those were before world war 2, who cares

And they got real good in the late 90s with home grown talent, not signing a bunch of high priced free agents

Play
Apr 25, 2006

take your baseball feudalism eslewhere ross i want no part of it

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Salary caps and drafts should be abolished

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

a neat cape posted:

The Mets have

i mean, theres some other factors here with the mets

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
When millionaires and billionaires fight, I side with the millionaires. :capitalism:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Soccer has no salary cap and unless you're owned by an oil shiek or a literal country's government you basically have no shot at your league title.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

a neat cape posted:

Do you understand what a salary cap is

edit--never mind, gently caress the Cowboys anyway

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Remove the 11 player limit. If I want 15 wide recievers running down field that's my own drat business

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Diva Cupcake posted:

Soccer has no salary cap and unless you're owned by an oil shiek or a literal country's government you basically have no shot at your league title.

Since they put in the cap, the NFL has had likec15 different champions and baseball has had like 13 in that same timeframe. Its not a huge disparity

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Make every sport Calvinball.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

i wouldn't even bother watching football without the methods they use to increase parity

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I think the Patriots winning six is an anomaly and really skews that statistic.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Football is good because of the 16 game season and the short playoffs of instant elimination on loss

Most parity measures have failed cause teams are dumb

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think they should implement a minimum dumbness requirement for head coaches to make things fair, it's not fair that teams like the Patriots get to have a smart coach for twenty years.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mega64 posted:

I think they should implement a minimum dumbness requirement for head coaches to make things fair, it's not fair that teams like the Patriots get to have a smart coach for twenty years.

maybe teams should sign the assistants of the smart co-hahahahhahaha

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I mean even if parity doesn't happen, teams go from good to bad very quickly. And if they don't, they had the chance with a high draft pick. It's funny when it works and it's even funnier when it doesn't work because they were given every chance

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Keep the salary cap, but increase it to 55% of league revenues + individual team revenues.

Paint Crop Pro fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 10, 2019

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

a neat cape posted:

Since they put in the cap, the NFL has had likec15 different champions and baseball has had like 13 in that same timeframe. Its not a huge disparity

Tom Brady has significantly skewed the numbers here and you know it.

Good QBs are also about 300x more important to being a good team than having a single ace pitcher and the problem is that paying for an entire team of all-stars in the MLB is hideously, horrifically, non-sensically more expensive than paying whatever is necessary for the best QB and a couple weapons and then a good line.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Strobe posted:

Tom Brady has significantly skewed the numbers here and you know it.

Good QBs are also about 300x more important to being a good team than having a single ace pitcher and the problem is that paying for an entire team of all-stars in the MLB is hideously, horrifically, non-sensically more expensive than paying whatever is necessary for the best QB and a couple weapons and then a good line.

the AFC is horribly skewed because of elite QBs like Ben, Tom, and Peyton as well as the Ravens and Joe Flacco

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Football is a much more strategic game than most other sports. This is not to say that other sports are not strategic, but success in football is extremely reliant on key skill positions on offense and defense, and game-planning. The salary cap does a lot to maintain parity, but it can't really account for where the major media markets are, teams that have been run by incompetents for decades, the vast gulf between rookie and veteran contracts, or skilled players in high-demand positions using contract fuckery and team disruption to angle their way into playing for the best-run teams.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Football is a real time turn based multiplayer pvp athletic game

Literally th best game ever of anything

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Smith rocks

https://twitter.com/PFF_MJ/status/1171468163923398657?s=19

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I wouldn’t know what successful baseball is like it always ends in tears

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Its Rinaldo posted:

I wouldn’t know what successful baseball is like it always ends in tears

its like successful basketball

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

HereticMIND posted:

I’m just tired of the TOP TEN QBS IN THE NFL lists basically containing nothing but Tom Brady and Baker Mayfield. There are tons of great QBs in the league, like Wentz, Mahomes, and of course Jackson; seeing them get sidelined in the conversation of “BeSt qB EvEr!” just irks me.

I also found that video particularly interesting because the tone was more of a one on one tutorial and quite a through breakdown of Lamar’s play calling than a college lecture.

Yeah man nobody is putting...Pat Mahomes in their top active QB lists

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Keep the cap in place if only because there's a salary floor to force owners to spend something. MLB owners can just sit happily and pocket money while paying no one.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
get rid of the revenue sharing cap and the salary cap and small market teams will have plenty of money to compete

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
NBA has a cap and it probably hurts parity there

But basketball and football are in fact very different games

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

I really miss Suggs. I'm going to be sad about him bolting all year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Play posted:

I mean even if parity doesn't happen, teams go from good to bad very quickly.

I'll say they do.

:smithicide: