Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I calculated it for one of my youtube videos that I'd played eve online a solid year, around 8760 hours. It's kind of terrifying to think that of 30-odd years I've lived, an entire year of one of them was Eve.

If not just for that reason I'm glad to have 'Won' Eve and quit. Lot of good memories though, it was a hell of a game to play in Middle/High school. I can't imagine people playing now getting that kind of cozy, social experience, everything seems so much larger and developed now, but I imagine some people must be. Was also depressing to log in for the first time in a long time and be greeted with a bunch of trash mobile game engagement style junk. :negative:

I'll still play their FPS though if it even makes it far enough because why not :shrug:?

I won't, however, play CCP's upcoming blockchain survival game which I can't imagine a universe where it will be any good at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

JugbandDude posted:

Supposedly it's feature complete, but there's no release date yet

I honestly think CIG is lying about this.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Sardonik posted:

I can't imagine people playing now getting that kind of cozy, social experience, everything seems so much larger and developed now, but I imagine some people must be.

Eve specifically I can't comment on, but the general MMO social interaction still happens. It just happens outside of the game in fragmented Discord channels. There's something to be said for the tedium in old games driving the social aspect to stave off boredom, but this is the wrong thread if you're into glorifying tedium.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

I said come in! posted:

What could possibly make you think they were lying, except for all of the lies they've told about it over the past decade?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://packaged-media.redd.it/juqw...7854253d6c2#t=0

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

I said come in! posted:

code:

void Feature1()
{
   // TODO: implement
}

Yeah sure boss all the features are in!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I said come in! posted:

(Puzzled dog face, head on one side)

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

They didn't say how many features were complete.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
Also, I figure it's like all the other times Chris said anything hinting at progress: there is none, there's just some external pressure to say there is, which he hopes he will be absolved of when the deadline passes and no progress has been made.

The only difference now is that he's apparently saying it to appease his investors rather than just his usual paypigs (the backers), so absolution may not be as easily obtained this time around. Unless they manage to recapture some of their old FOMO marketing magic and really bring in some serious ship-sale cash over the next few quarters, I guess?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
At the next CommandoCon, I expect CIG to announce the game as Feature Complete Complete.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016
If their conception of the term 'refactor' is any guide, 'feature complete' will simply mean there is a list of 'features' written on a napkin somewhere.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Are they still using "Tier Zero" as a thing? Because if so every single feature will be at a tier zero level of completeness.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I said come in! posted:

Good god, that is quite an accusation with the most transparent company ever created.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
"A" feature is complete. Surely not all the features.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
It means Chris and Tony Z have completed their list of features. Now just the easy job of layering on the code.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Someone posted the image I requested of Bush on the carrier with the banner behind him saying “A feature complete” and I believe that needs to be in the OP.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

CitizenKain posted:

They didn't say how many features were complete.

They said feature complete, not features complete!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Time_pants posted:

They said feature complete, not features complete!

pisscat no

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Worf posted:

pisscat no

That's not Pisscat, it was barely a sentence worth of words.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The very special epissode where he learns brevity

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Worf posted:

The very special epissode where he learns brevity

Star Citizen: a very special epissode

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

wait, what investors?!

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

I think I said offhand to a friend of mine while playing Elite last night "I wish someone would make a better game like this" so of course I had to dog on Star Citizen. I couldn't remember the timeframe of when they started so I went and read their wikipedia. It contained one of the saddest things I've ever read about addiction.

quote:

In July 2018, a backer initiated a small claims court case against Cloud Imperium Games to refund US$4,496. It was reported that he had "grown disillusioned with the title's numerous delays, broken promises, and changes in scope". He argued that changes to the game would limit his ability to play due to disability. In court, Cloud Imperium Games argued that the backer's involvement in an early tester program called "Evocati" proved that they were actively providing a product to him. When an arbitration clause from the project's terms of service was brought up, the backer argued that he was covered under the original terms of service as he had backed the project prior to changes to the terms of service. Cloud Imperium Games provided evidence that a "vast majority" of the backer's purchases were made after the change and that he would have had to accept the revised terms of service when making any new purchase. The judge presiding the case sided with Cloud Imperium Games and ruled against the backer.[177][178] In a Forbes magazine report from May 2019, it was alleged that the backer continued to purchase ships after the lawsuit was closed.

emphasis mine :(

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
And he was a goon.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Torquemada posted:

And he was a goon.

Arguably even worse than playing SC.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Torquemada posted:

And he was a goon.

Oh man really? drat.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's been a long time and my memory is probably not reliable, but I feel like he basically joined the forums to be a derek smart reply guy and bask in the praise for his really good lawsuit

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

No Mods No Masters posted:

It's been a long time and my memory is probably not reliable, but I feel like he basically joined the forums to be a derek smart reply guy and bask in the praise for his really good lawsuit

Well I'm sure that worked out well for him

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

No Mods No Masters posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

And the thread told him to stop purchasing poo poo and the usual backer-brained replies kept coming out

6 years later and the game is still the same

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

derek smart Derek Smart DEREK SMART

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Sometimes when I think of the people who have backed this game I am reminded of this scene from this movie. https://youtu.be/SRZ5400UKSc

Substitute "put on a show" with "buying imaginary ships" and it works.

Edit: Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland actually release the game save the town, though.

rojay fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 24, 2024

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Someone needs to quote the hell out of MoMA...it has been a while.

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

ManofManyAliases posted:

-We're going to see 3.0 release much earlier than "mid-year."
-SQ42 will, at the very least, have a level (or few levels) drop this year. Though, I'm optimistic for a full release before end-of-year.
-Certain evocati will begin testing 3.0 very, very soon.

Quote the poo poo out of this if you want.

Jan 3, 2017

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

quoth the raven never more

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Theotus posted:

derek smart Derek Smart DEREK SMART

DESKTOP COMMANDER!

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Larz posted:

Jan 3, 2017

We’re already at 3.23 so two out of three predictions came true which is better than chance SC stays winning

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

chadbear posted:

We’re already at 3.23 so two out of three predictions came true which is better than chance SC stays winning

version 3 from 2017 is very diff from released 3

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Jobbo_Fett posted:

version 3 from 2017 is very diff from released 3

just a bit

lmao

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol Elite Dangerous is getting in on that Star Citizen money and is letting players buy ships with real money now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

I said come in! posted:

lol Elite Dangerous is getting in on that Star Citizen money and is letting players buy ships with real money now.

This is hell. We are all dead and living in hell.