Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if the Fyre Festival-style postmortem documentary about this debacle will be called Star Citisn't or Citizen Con.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Jesus...

We have a lot of fun pointing and laughing at this slow motion train wreck, but when the con finally collapses there's going to be a lot of people who will really be destroyed by it...

SC has already ruined a bunch of marriages at the very least, and I remember a true believer on the official forums back in the day who was mulling over selling the family farm so he could afford a "completionist* pack."

*did not contain a complete set of anything

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Before that it was regular old Object Container Streaming that was going to save the game right?

The way I remember it (which could be wrong, because this odyssey of incompetence has had so many ludicrous twists and turns over the years), they kept taking up OCS as the holy grail that would make SC work. Then before a big sale they announced that OCS was complete, and stalwart citizens joyfully emptied their wallets. Once the patch hit and performance was still dogshit, however, CIG clarified that what they had completed was only client-side object container streaming, and that server-side OCS—which would be the real savior of the game—was still in development. That was years ago.

Somebody please correct any of my misrememberings.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

trucutru posted:

Just you wait until they introduce a space firetruck in SC!

This gave me the idea that CIG should hire Simone Giertz to build them some promotional tchotchkes.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
You have Chris Roberts' word, which is better than a guarantee.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

Look, you guys need a physics lesson!

:words:

IT ISN'T DONE OKAY QUIT BITCHING

:lol:

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

I initially misread the link as "gamershoes.com" and I was momentarily jealous that I hadn't thought of selling overpriced tactical fps sneakers and apm-boosting loafers to dewrito chuds.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

To my understanding, if The Star Citizen's "Persistent Universe" wants to truly be a living, breathing, universe world, then there must have to be "countermeasures" to allow the defending player not to be disadvantaged by the ability of an attacking player to choose the engagement.

That's, at least, how I see it.

Wise Learned Man fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 24, 2019

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

I'm sure in the future we want to [actually make a video game]

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Popete posted:

Then imagine all the people who bought hundreds of dollars worth of ships years ago who have had no update since.

I still don't understand the black hole the Banu Merchantman fell into. First they didn't know which end was the front. Then I vaguely recall something about it getting bigger from its initial scale (naturally CIG sold it without bothering to figure out if the dimensions they listed for it could actually fit the interior specs they promised). Did it get so big that it became "underpriced" by their ludicrous valuation? They should just make the merchantman to the original specs and unveil the upsized Banu Caravanserai for $880, and I guarantee everyone still in the cult that "owns" a merchantman would upgrade to the bigger ship.

Also, when looking up the deets on the BMM, I came across this from one of the SC wikis:

quote:

During the 2016 CitizenCon Presentation, The Banu Merchantman has been confirmed to be flyable in Alpha update 3.3.
:laugh:

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

TheAgent posted:

dont ever post on reddit lol

Words to live by.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

IronicDongz posted:

why ARE there so many SC carebears

ptsdEVE

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Fess up. Which one of us is Cintara? Because lol

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Nalin posted:

What I find interesting is that there is now enough content to actually create a compelling experience with a bunch of fun gameplay loops, but everything is so unbalanced, buggy and broken that you can't have fun playing it. If they want to sell a playable experience to people, they really need to spend a whole patch cycle just fixing these years old bugs. Make all these missions actually work, fix up all the ship and weapon bugs, and balance everything so an average player can make progress towards their goals. But they will never do that. They would rather sell a new ship reskin with broken weapons to their loyal suckers.

I don't think they can fix it. Their spaghettikludge code is likely such a nightmare that I don't even want to imagine it.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Thursday Next posted:

This is utterly delightful.

Sounds like emergent gameplay to me. Checkmate, goonie. :smug:

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Boy, CIG is really amping up to wring some more whalemilk out of the whalesponge, aren't they? Suddenly jacking up the price on previously-melted ships when stalwart citizens go to use their quarterly buyback token, and now cracking down on CCUs for "limited" ships. Well, they know their market. Citizen Groupthink Enforcement Volunteers (CGEV for short, pronounced "skeeve") will keep any complainers in line.

Also, lol at the copy on the constellation phoenix implying that it's so fancy you'll be too busy staring to ever fly it. Somebody on the inside knows what's up. :getin:

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Well gee, that sure makes it seem like Cro-bizzle was completely full of poo poo when he said "we have a complex economic simulation running on its own server" seven loving years ago, doesn't it?

What a revelation.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

You know, Crobbers kinda looks like Winnie the Pooh

He's like poo, alright

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Always a sad day when a commando who has spent years telling everyone else their concerns are illegitimate finally has the quantum waveform collapse on one of their pet features/assets, revealing it to be poo poo. Tragically, they never seem able to recognize the hypocrisy. :thunk:

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Asema posted:

this was posted by somebody who's 100k deep and has nobody to play with so they think lying on the internet will draw more interest

This. No actual human being who only heard of SC a week ago would write a testimonial designed to counter every common criticism with that perfect desperate undertone of PTSD gained from defending this shitpile for years.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Mr.PayDay posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/comments

The kickstarter comment section is a hilarious read once in a while

I particularly enjoy all the missing posts from people who presumably gave up on it and deleted their kickstarter accounts altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
SC owns, gently caress tha h8ers

bye