Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

skeletors_condom posted:

One notion presented in this thread that I strongly disagree with is the idea that some SC fanboys lean alt-right.

All in all, I would say they are just nerds. They don't support the ethno-state or "peaceful ethnic cleansing," they are more about a faux-great Gatsby spaceship and some marketing talking points about immersion and fidelity. Alt-righters (even ones who play video games) aren't about that.

Thing is, there's always been a certain libertarian slant to the "space trader" genre- fundamentally it's looking at the wonders of an endless universe to which you have access, and thinking "man I could make a killing off of trading tungsten futures." Like, it's the easiest way to game-ify space exploration- have resources which you gather and use to trade for fuel, weapons, better ships, etc.- but there are times the genre really leans into "this is your job, get to working." This is enhanced by the hilariously bland Sharper Image aesthetic SC aims for- a bunch of fancy space yachts clearly targeting people with more money than taste.

Plus I get the feeling SC is specifically targeting the kind of independently wealthy types who spend lots of money on model trains, and the overlap between "affluent Boomers" and "Trump voters" is very large indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
They were right for the wrong reasons more or less. The problem was not the shift to first person or the real time focus, the problem was the content they wrote.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

DreadUnknown posted:

Thats a lot of words to describe an issue thats been solved for loving decades, like thats how MMOs work.

I know little about programming beyond using Gamemaker and watching some tutorials, inc. a video about data structures, but all of that seems like a horrible way to handle things.

If every item is tied to a specific object and that object has to be in memory the whole time no wonder your servers are crashing constantly.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
They still don’t know how they want the spaceships to fly.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

DreadUnknown posted:

Yeah, which is why you use flags on a person's character account right? Like this flag indicates what ship they own, this one what hanger, etc?

Exactly. A lot of items can be expressed as just "potions_owned = X" and when you open a chest that makes the potion counter go up by 1 and so on. Or you could make a list of items owned by the player and have that attach to a database. (That's honestly how it works in most RPGs, items have a number and the game checks to see what numbers are on the list.)

There are a lot of ways to do it that would only create a graphical object with physics and such when needed, if at all. You could probably even program in a cap on how many of said item may be held by players or shops if you want scarcity to be an issue, it's still just tracking quantities which isn't as intensive.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Ah, I see.

This really is just game development in reverse- they're doing all the shiny surface stuff and trying to make it all inhabit the same space.

(Also is the whole "running most of it client-side" thing as much of a problem for PvP as I think it is?)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I don't- that's just-

This guy wants The Matrix and wants to use it to live out his fantasies of being a serial killer.

It's probably for the best he's putting all his money into something that will never, ever be capable of what he's talking about.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
"We're still figuring out how ladders should work" is an encouraging signpost.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

This is like when the apes first see the monolith in 2001

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

Played a bunch of No Man's Sky recently and this game seems pretty much like Star Citizen if it wanted to be fun or a real game.

Yeah of the current space trader games it appeals to me the most, partly for the groovy space opera aesthetic and partly because it's less of an economics simulator than the others (that part's still there but it's mixed in with survival stuff.) The limitations of the tech mean they'll never have, like, cities or huge settlements, but then again SC doesn't really have those either, and this game at least knows that and commits to a wilderness/frontier feel.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

William Bear posted:

Space Station 13, because of its detailed simulation, is a useful guide here. In SS13, you can be the captain, head of a department, or a security officer. You can also be a traitor or monster working against the crew. Those can be exciting, action-packed roles.

Yet you can also be a janitor, cook, or clown. In such roles, you often have to find your own fun and do more role-playing. I've occasionally had fun finding an interesting gimmick for each of those jobs.

I guess the difference is switching it up. In many Star Citizens' heads, they hang out with the same people all the time who do the same job. The person with an assault rifle standing outside the bridge who salutes them as they walk in is a person who does nothing but that on the crew. In SS13, it's easy to be captain for one hour-long round, then be a clown the next.

Not to mention being captain or department head ends up not meaning very much when half the station catches fire and the clowns are taking over.

I know SS13 wasn't necessarily designed with the intent of always devolving into chaos but that's its natural state.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

Do Citizens not realize this is still just a canned animation, there isn't some grand physics algorithm that's dynamically calculating the characters momentum and balance as if they could topple over when stopping too quickly.

Also Witcher 3 did this far better in 2015. Or any Assassins Creed game.

The original Prince of Persia. E: drat someone beat me to it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Orions Lord posted:

DSC_4374 by roland luijken, on Flickr

This is Billie. Say hello to Billie.

Hello Billie!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

shamelessly stolen from refunds sub

ED player tried SC for a while and it resulted in this video, lot of swearing with accent, but it's still valid criticism

Star Citizen: 10 Reasons I dislike this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx3ASyGHMps

I like this video because it shows how many problems the game would have even if you weren’t falling through the floor half the time. There are so many bad design decisions.

That lopsided cockpit view where you can see at most 40% of what’s actually in front of you is just astounding.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

:reddit: Stealing the Idris in the Xenothreat event should be considered griefing.

For the jollies of a handful of people, they are inconveniencing the rest of the server trying to have fun.

Hijacking the Idris breaks the event. Nearly every server I've been on has a broken Xenothreat event.

Yes, the Idris being hijacked isn't the sole reason for the event being broken, but it is one of the common causes.

:argh: The real issue is it shouldn't be possible to hijack any NPC ships. This is on the devs 100%.

:allears:

sickos_yes.jpg

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I mean opera houses pre-Wagner were traditionally full of audiences ignoring the play, yakking at each other, and screwing, so any opera in an MMO would be pretty period accurate.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

.random posted:

If you sell items, it has to move it from the player database to the universe database for persistence. It’s very complicated.

I know you’re making fun but

Dear God it’s a data structure, you make it into a string and copy it from one register to another and delete the original! Then you write a script to decode the string! I can do that in Gamemaker! And I only know what I’ve seen in tutorials!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Over 2500 dollars

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Viscous Soda posted:

New World is a trashfire of Crobbertian proportions. They just got done patching a bug that made you invulnerable when you dragged around the game in windowed mode by just patching out windowed mode. However in patching that out they somehow broke the trading house and now you will not revive your gold/item if you aren't logged in when you win the auction.

The chat client runs code, by default. People are using this to blind other players (by loading giant images) or just crash their computers.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Kikas posted:

Wait what code? WHAT CODE? I've only heard of HTML for those images, does it run other code?

I believe it's just HTML but there's just no "protection" on it, nothing that tells the client "don't try to run this." I don't know how the game crash works specifically. (And they may have fixed it by now but in so doing they probably added 800 other things.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Meanwhile in suggested tweets below:

https://twitter.com/Edvintage1/status/1459824267168821258
https://twitter.com/BoidGaming/status/1459827090073788419

Like it's silly stuff but man is it amusing to see the contrast between a game people are doing fun things in and one where the basic physics are going to be implemented any day now

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen: I Find The Most Erotic Part of a Woman is the Boobies

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

It is very dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

monkeytek posted:

I'll be honest with you, the only thing that would bring me into the game would be the promise of destroying their enjoyment by using ingame mechanics like "being a meanie" and pretending to be a fake medic. Hell, the drugging incident actually got me a little interested.

Yeah on a design level one of their fundamental mistakes seems to be they want death to be punitive, so you can lose items/have to wait forever to respawn/etc.

Which discourages stupid griefing fun like this, because people will complain about being griefed in such a way. Whereas if death were a minor inconvenience, some people would still complain but others would be like "Ha, got me there."

Re: SQ42 development delaying the PU, see that would actually be a sensible development decision- focus on the thing that's closest to getting done so you can release it and then start tackling the bigger problems- so that's almost certainly not what's happening.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Trivial thing but I do know a bit about the history of audio theater and this bit:

quote:

The BBC paid LucasArts to create and broadcast a radio version of 'A New Hope' voice acted by the original cast (this was the first time I ever heard of Star Wars as a 14 year old back in 1975).

Is also wrong! The Star Wars radio drama was done by National Public Radio, in America, after Lucas "sold" the license to UCLA's public radio affiliate for $1. They may have gotten more money as the production got more involved and they ended up using the music and sound effects but that was how that happened. And of the original cast there were only two identical, Mark Hamill and Anthony Daniels. Everyone else was a new actor, e.g. Brock Peters was the voice of Darth Vader.

And this of course was in 1981, four years after the movie had come out.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This is way back in the thread but:

staberind posted:

Brataccas. on the ST was amusing, one of the first times I saw a game glitch but not actually crash. the blue robot kind of forgets which direction all its bits are supposed to go in.
But what you are talking about sounds a little like MagMax, an arcade game.
E: Lol, totally wrong. the chrome does look very psygnosys-y

Brataccas is the final form of "Bandersnatch", the game that inspired that Netflix Black Mirror interactive thingy. It was a game originally being developed by Imagine software for the ZX Spectrum, which (for anyone who doesn't know) was a relatively underpowered 8 bit machine popular in the UK. (At that point the Spec maxed out at 48k.) It was way too big for the Spectrum as it was and they were claiming it would ship with hardware to expand the machine's capabilities, thus making it a pricey megagame, but Imagine were dramatically overspending on everything and went out of business before the project got anywhere near completion. Psygnosis published Brataccas based on the work that had been done, and it's telling that it had to be on the 16-bit computers.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
What the “simulate everything” people forget is just how much abstraction is a fundamental part of game design. There’s always stuff you don’t see because you’d never notice it anyway. Like Uldah in FFXIV is a convincing “big city” despite having a limited number of actual buildings and NPCs because they’re smart about how it’s designed and the layout and so on.

And there’s player behavior to think of. You get however many thousands of players you imagine on meshed servers and you’ll see the vast majority clustered together in the central hub area(s). And those will exist because you’re going to design some parts of the world to be more commonly visited than others. You’re gonna see people there talking about politics or their favorite shows or engaged in weird group in jokes. It’s not gonna be a convincing interstellar society, it’s gonna be a chat room. Thus for all MUDs.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
See I think the devs are mostly doing work, but it's all wheel spinning and keeping busy because they're never gonna get to the point where they have an actual game. Like you can fill your day at the office working on the coffee shop assets or tweaking the walk cycle of that one guy in the background of the cafeteria scene, it's output, you can put it in your portfolio, the reason the game's never coming out is because of key things like "We still don't know how the ships fly" and "server meshing".

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Every time I'm reminded that a major element that caused to Sonic Boom to suck rear end was Cryengine, it cracks me up all over again SC is using it too.

I'm interested in hearing more about this. From what I saw Sonic Boom's main problems were on the design side (sequences don't flow into each other, there's a 100 ring maximum unless you also owned the 3DS version, EVERYONE TALKS TOO MUCH etc.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Lammasu posted:

Wait, so they added rivers and river activities separately? For the one river?

I sell rivers and river accessories

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
BLAAAART BLAAAART BLAAAAART

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
They haven't even said poo poo about a fishing minigame. What's the point of a river if you're not gonna have a fishing minigame?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
That mining rig theft video is great because it confirms that every object that you have access to is being fully rendered and physics'd in the game world and this is possibly the worst way of implementing an inventory/equip system anyone has ever tried.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

I also look good, from certain angles, but I'm not being touted as the next Vitruvian Man.
It's just weird, when you see the forums go on about how great and amazing SC looks, how it's basically photorealistic...and then you watch a video or a few less than ideal screencaps and it looks just....poor.

On top of whatever problems they have for this specific engine... they're just not good at aesthetics.

Every screencap we see is this middle of the road, Sharper Image 2004 vision of the future, it's the modern day as seen by affluent white people with a few more weird corners and shiny lights. There's no sense of the alien or the unknown, of a culture shaped by being able to travel to other planets and meet other intelligent species.

Star Trek has an aesthetic, Star Wars has an aesthetic, the Alien films have an aesthetic, hell Babylon 5 had an aesthetic and it was made with tinfoil and a Video Toaster. This is just generic and not in a fun interesting way. That river isn't a river on an alien world, I'm pretty sure that's somewhere in Tennessee.

Of course it does make sense given the target audience of mostly rich old dudes with a lot of free time. (The model train crowd if you will.) They don't want anything too freaky, just their swanky, generic comforts and the knowledge that they spent more money than the guy next to them.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think it's transition between animations. It's trying to snap one part of the model in place before the others. (The WWE games have a lot of bugs like this and it's because of their reliance on canned mo-cap animations.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
So right now almost all they’re talking about working on is NPC behavior, when you still haven’t got it so the player can reliably act on anything.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
And again, the scale thing. Even if they had a chance of pulling this off...

Like, however many people are on a server, it'll be a huge clump of them in the hub areas doing emotes and yelling about nonsense and other not-quite-immersive things. Go outside the hubs and you'll see a few occasionally, maybe even a group, and that's neat. But like, you don't need millions per server for that effect. I play FFXIV, that's pretty popular, I don't know what the max load on a server is but I know that once you get like 30 people in an Aetheryte Plaza you start to lose track. That's emergent behavior, people will clump in the areas where it's most convenient. (And remember MMOs are still basically MUDs.)

And game design is already running into this problem where we can design super huge environments but actually *creating enough content to make them worthwhile* is the big issue. A town in an MMO or open world game will be a few buildings that are useful to the player, a bunch more you can't enter, maybe a few you can that don't have anything just for flavor, etc. Nobody really cared when the standard RPG town was 5 buildings marked "INN", "WEAPONS SHOP", "GUILD", etc., but now that we can make a bunch of full 3D buildings that looks just like a movie set, it stands out a bit more when you try to go behind the fronts and see there's nothing there.

There is a reason that games abstract things beyond just the basic demands of programming/hardware/etc. There's only so much a player will take in and we will fill in the gaps. Just point our eyes in the right direction, with gameplay loops, story, etc.

Obviously it's moot because they've still yet to make progress on why things keep falling through the floor, but like their biggest and most integral goal won't even do much.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

idk, Douglas Adams was a computer nerd before computer nerds were even a thing, seems like the kind of joke that would be right up his alley. ASCII encoding was around for almost 20 years by the time the book came out, so there’s no way he wasn’t familiar with it.

The radio series from 1978 was the first Hitchhiker's, though. Maybe Adams knew this but he always claimed otherwise. (Though after they aired the final episode of the first series, some math nerds wrote in saying that 16 x 9 DOES equal 42 if you do it in base 13.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The thing is they're on the one hand claiming this is going to revolutionize everything about the gaming industry and raise the bar for everyone etc.

But at the same time it's going to be this incredibly involved, slow-moving sim that requires hours of free time every day and is only for Big Boys. You don't get to millions of players online at any given moment with this sort of niche game. There's an audience for these games, sure, there are all sorts of heavy nerdy games that appeal to a niche and make money (Euro Truck Simulator or whatever it's called is probably the best example, Microsoft Flight Sim too now that that's back.) But yeah, you make a game like that for a limited audience. You don't get the Next Big Thing with that, at best you get a game that's well regarded in that circle and gets some notice from major gaming press for being a good game of its kind. (Note: I am still salty that none of the major games sites listed Fire Pro Wrestling World among the best games of 2017.)

Like Elite Dangerous is probably as good as a "hardcore" space sim is gonna do in the modern market. You want better than that, you make space travel fast, you make harvesting and crafting easy, you make death a very minor inconvenience, etc. Because people will get frustrated with those things and they will quit, and now where are the plebs who will serve you drinks on your space yacht?

Again it's not like the game is actually coming out. But even their perfect ideal of it is a game that would get a fraction of Fortnite's player base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

Yes.

But also because cig doesn't understand it's core audience and wants to be everything for everybody, it also tried to nab the fortnight pie with silly hats and the fast arena type battlefield games with ToW.

The people is cig does things badly, and doesn't have the capability to make a fun finished product, so you get nothing but prototypes with prototype feeling gameplay which does not resonate well with the non-addicted audience in general.

So I don't think it's for a lack of trying, it's a lack of being able to stick with something long enough to finish it. That could revolve back to management being caught chasing shiny objects every time some new shiny appears.

Even though cig is dug in deep into the long haul, they don't understand the long haul. They don't understand how to engage with one piece of an activity long enough to see it through to the end or fully complete it so it is functional. Prototype bugginess and jank is "good enough" for cig to call done and jump to the next flavor of the month so they can half-build out another action.

True- I think to actually decide what kind of game they're making would require design and that would, inevitably, require narrowing down features instead of making it all things to all investors. They're stuck at the programming end because they're trying to do full physics everything, but at the same time a lot of the features they add in don't go anywhere because you would actually have to design what those are and they refuse to make those decisions.