Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Zaphod42 posted:

Right now there is no vision. And he knows it. He can't release the game because it isn't remotely what he's promised, there is no game, and he doesn't know how to make the game.

So its just spinning wheels, collecting money, and lying.

On top of that, releasing it would offer concrete proof that all the negative things people said about him are absolutely 100% true.

People have said he's a bad manager: He can't fight scope creep, he can't decide on a solid vision and stick to it, he can't stop throwing the baby out with the bathwater because x isn't as perfect as he wants it to be.

People have said he's a terrible director: He can't write a script worth a poo poo, he can't keep things consistent within a given universe that he created, he can't develop meaningful characters, and there's nothing about his directorial style that is remarkable/interesting/good.

Star Citizen is incontrovertible proof that not only is all of the above true, but the reality is so, so, so much worse than anyone could have imagined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

colonelwest posted:

NMS has caves and is a real game. Star Citizen now has caves and therefore must be a real game. Checkmate FUDsters!

Ah, the Duke Nukem Forever model of development. X competing game has Y feature, so we need to tack on Y feature in order to be better and oh poo poo it broke all the code so it looks like we have to do it all over again but by God, we'll have it in our game - that way, no one can say that there's something Star Citizen can't do!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

jarlywarly posted:

"More importantly, a cave has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a gamer (gamer: non-star citizen) discovers that a game has caves, he will automatically assume the game is also in possession of game-play loops, balance, coherent systems, tin of biscuits, actual flight model, compass, map, giant space worms, space news vans, economy, space suits etc., etc. Furthermore, the gamer will then happily believe that any of these or a dozen other items actually exist that the developer might accidentally have "refactored". What the gamer will think is that any developer who can show off caves the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his cave is is clearly a developer to be reckoned with.”

I was wondering where the '42' in 'Squadron 42' came from...

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I was wondering why the hell "bunny furry sex doll trader" was carrying a crossbow, and lo and behold my question has been answered.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Nothing new aside from that intense legal shade thrown at them - Crytek says their claim is only actionable once SQ42 is released. Given CIG's track record, that is precisely two weeks/never.

Also pragmatic - I'm guessing that Crytek doesn't think they'll be able to get at backer money given that it probably exists in an extremely grey legal area (deliberately so on CIG's part), but any actual sales of SQ42 after release are certainly fair game.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Gobbling Crobber's Knobber for Dollars, I see.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

giZm posted:

Good start.

There are 1693 people who want to play this game?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

redwalrus posted:

star citizen is a toothy blowjob for an army of old nerds that have never had one before and are holding on for dear life hoping it will stop hurting any second but they’re going to end up losing their dick, remaining desperate, deprived and delusional.

Sounds like your average citizen of the Stimpire, so this checks out.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

We're on page 2542 of the thread. On the internet, 5 is usually used in place of S. Therefore, '542' means that this is a references to S42. The 2 in the thousands digit represents a frame of time, so...

It's official. Squadron 42 releases in 2 weeks now. Half-Life 3 confirmed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Trilobite posted:

Is the Lore Team still there? I've always figured we'll know CIG has fallen rear end-backwards into some kind of fiscal responsibility when they finally realize nothing those guys have produced is ever going to matter.

Let's be honest, the Lore Team are the first people getting replaced by ChadGPT.