Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Every day I hate the world just a tiny bit more...
Star Citizer: It's just not in yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Star Citizen: The day they say it is done there are no more dreams

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

I really want SC/SQ404 to release, just to read the reviews!

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

(Prior CIG Employee Recently Released) Something Has To Change posted:

For all levels of Star Citizen fans, I thought I would get this out there as both a Backer, then an employee of CIG, then a Backer. I was employed with CIG for over 7 years. Prior to my employment, I was a backer for 2 years, and it was my dream job to be able to help make this dream project come true. Unfortunately, that came to a fold this year.

I want to make this abundantly clear: my opinion is what I am giving, not fact. I am expressing this as an educated person on both sides of the fence, twice (Backer -> Employee -> Backer), and believe my experience is worthwhile posting.

I have always (And will always) hold a fond memory of CIG in my heart. Everyone was so welcoming, I made some fantastic friends, and they treated me well through my entire employment, whether it was HR assistance or COVID goodie bags to get you through the gloom, they put out the stops and I will always admire them for that. When I walked into the office at Wilmslow way back when we were a rag-tag team ready to shape the world, we did, up to a point.

Where the problem arises, is through the project itself. We worked tirelessly to deliver on every front - Support, Sales, Marketing, Trailers, Marketing Art, QA, Office Ops, Player Experience, and the lot. The one part that affected the project the most it seems - was the game itself.

Don't get me wrong - the devs at CIG are VERY talented. I see comments like "It must be a stain against you to work at CIG". Those commentators are forgetting the revolutionary tech that has been created along the way, and they should be applauded for that. They are making tools and systems that will be used for games seen for generations to come, so please put the respect for them that they deserve.

Also, not only do I see negative comments about individuals within CIG, but I have also been personally doxxed by a certain man called DS himself. Apparently, I was meeting with people in car parks to share project secrets and should be waterboarded (His words!). Imagine doing your day-to-day job and having to put up with that. Please, take into consideration that there are really great people who are working on this project with no skin in the game and who just want to do the best job they can do - they shouldn't be belittled by the entire internet.

Onto business. I was a veteran of the project with over 7 years of experience in multiple departments (Having been instrumental in setting up some of them) and having unique knowledge of systems within Europe. I moved my home closer to work - my fantastic wife enabled me to move closer to work and she got a different job so I could progress.

Through a few meetings, I was dismissed. Not for poor performance. I didn't buy it and had a colleague of mine attend my last meeting to make sure I wasn't missing something. Surely they wouldn't get rid of someone who was a high-performing asset, who could have been useful to ANY team within CIG, who could have helped steer the ship essentially.

I want to reiterate everything is my opinion and not indicative of CIG, their reputation, spending, project trajectory, employees, etc.

In my opinion, they have incorrectly calculated their trajectory and player spending through 2023 and beyond. I believe that after so many years of the project not delivering, it's time to start grasping at small straws at least. I believe the fact that I do not want to play the game because the progress resets, the features are not complete, the guides are atrocious and in general, the future is unclear (For anyone at any level) shows CIG really needs to change their stance on what they do, how they do it, and how they communicate it.

In my opinion, they have over-invested in the Manchester office they have just built. They are more bothered about the wall art than they are about investing in additional staff. I personally saw a hiring freeze whilst spending $$$'s on making the office look like a piece of space art. It's fantastic to walk into, but as soon as I found out I was being laid off, I looked at everything differently. Some of the art was the same as my salary or multiple people's salary. Looking up the costs of office furniture (FURNITURE, not equipment) you could pay someone with two office fitments. TWO. there are a large number of offices, and when I heard the hiring freeze kicked in, and then they were having layoffs, I had to speak my mind.

The future for this project: They have to keep generating additional cash or it folds. If you do not buy certain elements, people lose their jobs, the game gets delayed, etc. I can't offer my exact recommendation, because my good friends lose their jobs, and they are fantastic at their jobs and don't deserve it at all. That being said, everyone who is buying the ridiculously priced items is propping up the project completely.

I was personally involved in the Cutlass Steel pricing. I suggested a ceiling figure of the ship based on its capabilities in comparison to the other Cutlass ships and its competitors (The Cutlass Black is notoriously undervalued, but still....). Despite my recommendation, the price got HIKED because "Surely people will buy it, it's a Cutlass".

This is a perfect example of what happens when people vote with their wallets - it makes them realize that it was a bad decision and that they should learn going forward. I think this is the key to going forward for the entire project. I think that the team can deliver key gameplay improvements going forward that encourage players to play and return, rather than trying to drip-feed concepts to people who may never fly them (I'm looking at you BMM). People "play the CCU game" to get a $500 ship for $250. Thats insane. I personally won't be spending a nickel or dime until the game is delivered, because I became a concierge backer over a period of 5 years and I still don't want to play the game as it is today, which hurts me because I contributed directly to it and want it to succeed. I'm just not going to perpetually test a product that, at this point, should be released.

Despite every conversation I had, despite every advantage I had for myself in the company, I was laid off, and I am so thankful I was. I now have more time with my family which is the most important thing to me. I now work for a company where every contribution I make is heard, and more importantly, it makes an impact on the company itself. I would never have left CIG if I wasn't pushed. I worked drat f\*cking hard at it, and I'm proud of my work that has led to multiple successful teams.

I wish them the absolute best of luck, but I also hope that the people who genuinely want the project to succeed speak their minds, vote with their wallets, criticize where it's appropriate and champion where milestones are reached. We have a dream, and someone is trying to make it a reality, but don't get caught up in that dream if the reality is being shoved blocks down the road every time you get an update (or don't).
You can have a garage full of cool real vehicles for that money.

Edit: His post got removed by mods, but reinstated, as he confirmed his identity via Twitter (self-doxxed his identity).

Fangrim fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 29, 2023

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

To be fair, the generations to come could be CIG developers... If money keeps coming in, this grift might end up spanning several generations ;o)

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

dr_rat posted:

Seriously who want's to do menial jobs in a space adventure game. Me, I want to be a roller coaster tycoon. Just all about designing and building those roller coasters, that what I love to do!

Star Citizen does have roller coaster designing and building mechanics right?

Not at the moment, but it's in the pipeline.

They just need to program the tools, then rollercoaster gameplay will effectively create itself! And there will be mod support!

Weeks, not months.

You might as well buy the Modder's Manual now, while it's in stock! Oh, get an Idris too!

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Every time I see this, I have an urge to see the entire movie.

Should I?

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

Oh, btw Legatus pack went up a notch...

The "in stock" on their digital goods never fails to make me cringe.

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Well FUDsters, time to eat your words!

Next 3.23 patch is CONFIRMED (Read: Someone said in the latest Inside Star Citizen Star Citizen Live that these features are not only scheduled, but on-track for the next patch) to have all of these new never-seen-before groundbreaking features:
And it's coming SOON™ - sometime in March.

It's all coming together now. The tools are ready, the pipelines are overflowing, booleans are set from FALSE to TRUE!

LET'S RUB!

Note: I got this list off a couple Reddit posts, not my own work. I did add some personal comments though.

New PIS/PIE (Player Interaction System/Experience) - You will now get a "Press 'F' to do X"-prompt for default actions (Pick up/drink/open/carry etc.)!
Dynamic Crosshair
Distribution Centers - Major hubs of NPC/Player activity
New Shopping App
Reinvented Star Map
Instanced Hangars
Freight Elevators
New UI for Looting
New Weapon Packing/Reloading
Minimap - Like a big map, just smaller
Compass - With 4 directions marked!!!
New FPS scopes
Precision Targeting Modes - Now you can miss your target even more accurately because of lovely server tick rate, rubberbanding and lag!
Master Modes - Two modes of flight: SCM allows shields, weapons, and high regeneration rates for your power capacitors, but slower top speed. NAV allows high speed but no shields, no weapons, and restricts capacitor regeneration.
New EVA mechanics and animations
New Missions
New Character Creator
New in-game Ship Prices
New Reloading animations and mechanics
More Weapons can be gimbaled
New Helmet Lens and Visor

Fangrim fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 3, 2024

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Worf posted:

This might make me look stupid but I'm gonna Google the patch notes to see if that's a joke post

Not in patch notes yet.

The info is taken from this live stream:

Star Citizen Live: All About Alpha 3.23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3KWtXlsFmI

Shazback posted:

A compass... In a space game. I guess this means full magnetosphere simulation is ready, baybee!

This made me chuckle too. No idea if there's an in-game lore explanation for use of compass in non-magnetic environments.Maybe magnet goo?

Fangrim fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Feb 3, 2024

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Funding is down 30% compared to January 23.

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

colonelwest posted:

Two weeks, tops…

That is actually pretty surprising though since we’ve had nothing but years of constantly increasing funding.

And CIG has gone into overdrive with FOMO and ICYMI sales. Like 5+ weekly emails in January. So much that lots of people have complained about the sheer amount.

They were instantly shot down by the White Knight brigade, and told to unsubscribe.

Fangrim fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 4, 2024

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Todd Papy has been out since January, per his LinkedIn.

Looking for work, so was either kicked out or burned out.

Edit: Image stolen from Reddit thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

I said come in! posted:

Ideally the game big time encourages the use of flight joysticks, and leans more on the realism side, while pretty much only taking place in space. Elite Dangerous is my favorite space sim, so something like that.

Have you heard of Star Citizen, made by THE Chris Roberts of Wing Commander fame?!

It's still in early alpha, but even now it has more gameplay and content than Skyrim V!!!