Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

My favorite part is learning the game uses the Crysis engine, but in order to have outer space adventure in an engine built for a single island, everything in the engine is itty bitty, and a ton of the physics glitches are because of how tiny everything is and the engine literally not being designed to handle it.

One of the best Cryengine-in-spaaaace struggles is the 'our ships are underwater!' thing.

And it's still going on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
It's all ok, the sane Roberts will fix this.

Give him 4 more years...

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sandweed posted:

We need some good ramp, elevator and door gifs to spice up this thread.

Don't play to their strengths!

Designed:

Executed:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Agony Aunt posted:

October 2016

3 years ago.

WORM WAS NOT A JOKE!

EDIT: Who has a link to the meeting notes transcription from jump point magazine with the question about how many missiles and worm was not a joke?

Chris: Worm WAS NOT A JOKE

Full magazine (download)

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Via the frontier forums:

Star Citizen Live: All About Development

quote:

Q: ...the servers are kind of at capacity now and we can't add any more larger locations until we have server side OCS. We currently see Microtech on the 3.8 map but not server side OCS. Why is that?

quote:

A: We can consider maybe content swaps if we wanted to add in a new area and take something out to account for them.

Just :lol: if they start removing planets to add new ones

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Did a medi pen just blow up an 890?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Pharohman777 posted:

Oh yeah, so Chris may either be on illegal drugs or he is the victim of a herbalife type mlm. In the 'luxury' dinner where he sold the minelayer, he told one of the whales there that he's using some sort of vitamin that perks him up and keeps him going, but he forgot the name of it.

It was so outrageous that one of the goons went through the trouble of determining if the person who posted that was a real star citizen backer or just a rando trolling.

Yeah I had a ludicrously long scroll through their public history. They seem to be $1k+ into SC, so they qualify to have been at the exclusive ship pimping. Doesn't mean it's definitely true, they could still be on a troll there. But I like to think it's true, for sure :allears:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
I've got the solution to 890J gameplay.

Just let the crew pick up local songs from every port they visit, like Black Flag.

I'm sure the alien language guy can cover this.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Sales surge is over on the sub. Back to bugs...

e: oh wait, I tell a lie. Here's luxury space wheel vorpex guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExEdnRHg4Wo

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 9, 2019

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sarsapariller posted:

Also, some fun P2W news from the front.

You all remember the Hammerhead, the $700 ship that was the bestest and biggest last year? The one whose shields are completely impenetrable to the laser fire of like 6 player-manned fighters and that has 24 size-4 guns because gently caress everyone else?

Well, looks like it is completely unable to kill the $1000 super-yacht. As in, sustained fire from all turrets on a Hammerhead might be able to just take the shields down, in about twelve minutes on one facing.

Obviously this is all cool and good, and nobody has really noticed because nobody actually fights in Star Citizen- certainly nobody fights in the megaships, they're too bulky and unwieldy and they require half the server sitting in turrets. Money well spent!

CIG will just do the balancing. It's easy.

Mine layer arrives, with it's even bigger turrets. (Mines to be delivered later).

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

quote:

Production state: Unknown

quote:

It is able to be launched from the hangar bay of Carrack.

quote:

Some of the information on this page is over two years old and may be outdated as a result of the ever-changing nature of a game in development.

They have trouble with their states and tenses. I think that's written in Present Imperfect

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Star Citizen: Jump Gate to Nowhere

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

ManofManyAliases posted:

Also, anyone else looking forward to Q1/Q2 of 2020? I am.

Space Court hits beta in Q2, should be good!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sarsapariller posted:

Next year they're going to be doing sewer levels.

This will happen. And it will be good.

Dark alleyway gameplay will be just around the corner.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

CaressMeGently posted:

I remember our VR guy telling CR not to take cam control off of the player specifically when the player is getting into the ship as it would make the player sick as a loving dog.

Needless to say, CR knows better.

It's ok, they can pick up a bucket with their grabby hands afterwards.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Ghostlight posted:

it turns out that not only are they not faked in the way I thought, but you can "EVA" seamlessly all the way from "planet to pupil", even in VR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ1YmUypTL0

Yeah but have you ever seen a Gek mopping? They've got some cheek calling that a frigate.

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 16, 2019

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Counterpoint: It won't.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Hannibal Rex posted:

Is there a good visual timeline of when exactly all the experienced devs who where there at the start left, and who replaced them?

Nah, no one's ever tamed that mess. Here are some bits and pieces though:

Some senior leavers in 2014-2016:

• Dan Tracy - Lead Tech Designer- Feb 2013 - Apr 2014
  • Eric Peterson - President of Prod & Dev - Jun 2012 - Nov 2014
  • Rob Irving - Lead Designer - Feb 2013 - Feb 2015
  • Alex Mayberry - Exec Prod May 2014 - Jun 2015
  • Travis Day - Snr Prod - May 2013 - Jul 2015
  • Patrick Thomas - Lead Environment Artist - Jun 2013 - Oct 2015
  • Jeremy Masker - Director of game ops - Oct 2014 - Nov 2015
  • Jason Hutchins - Snr Prod - Oct 2014 - Jan 2016
  • Michael Barclay - Lead Level Designer - Jan 2014 - Oct 2016

Here's a broader list from the mid 2016

Some general recent stuff:

Agent on some recent leavers in 2018:

quote:

So in the last few months, you've lost:
Senior Cinematic Animator (Frankfurt)
Associate Gameplay Engineer (LA)
Producer (LA)
Animator (UK)
Animator (UK)
Producer (UK)
Senior 3D Animator (Frankfurt)
Senior Character Artist (UK)
and like a bunch more people (several dozen) but I'm not going to sit here and type out all their poo poo gently caress that

DigitalPenny reckons Linkedin premium confirms their staffing claims but suggests 3x the turnover & a much higher art-to-tech ratio than other studios.

They don't seem to have a lead facial animator at Derby UK since the guy that set up the studio left.

The flight model physics guy got replaced by a young lad who keeps flipping the hover switch on and off.

And on and on. There's too much. There's always more.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Beluga Snail posted:

I'd love to get links to those videos if you don't mind- I like to keep a handy list of various times CIG has outright stated things that run completely counter to the believed narrative, and the entire 'how long in development with how many people' is one of the more common ones.

Here's some early staffing / contracting stuff:

STAFF NUMBERS (NOT INCLUDING CONTRACTORS):

quote:

Dec 2012 - 8
Feb 2013 - 20
June 2013 - 32
Aug 2013 - 40
Oct 2013 - 52
Dec 2013 - 60
Feb 2014 - 93
June 2014 - 139
Aug 2014 - 156
Feb 2015 - 205
April 2015 - 242
Aug 2015 - 260

CHRIS ON THE FULL NUMBERS:

Aug 2013 - 90 (50 staff, 40~ contractors) [and rising]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbI-tT0Zs-U&feature=youtu.be&t=14m29s

Oct 2013 - 110 (IE at Citcon. Approx 130-140 by this vid in Dec)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc2ya7SRA3I#t=478s

June 2014 - 268 (approx half staff, half contract)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3lhXDaHcvo&feature=youtu.be&t=5m45s

LIST OF EARLY CONTRACTORS:

Click this link for many more links...

quote:

This goes to the heart of what has happened to all the money in my view.

Chris Roberts couldn't have built the demo without Crytek, on kickstarter launch day CIG's (subcontractor, built) website crashed, so CIG switched subcontractors to Turbulent. This is a pattern that repeats, there are so many ex-subcontractors, Turbulent are understandably a lot harder to ditch now than normal.

Turbulent - Web platform, Spectrum, store, sales - Montreal, Canada

Behaviour Interactive - Concept art, Ships, 890 Jump, x85, mobiGlas, hangar flair - Montreal, Canada

CGBot - Artwork - Mexico Probable source of the leak from 2013

IllFonic - FPS module/1st unfinished version of Star Marine - Denver

Moon Collider - Kythera Artificial Intelligence middleware - Scotland

Rmory - weapon concept art - Bavaria, Germany

The Imaginarium - 63+ day Failed motion capture shoot - London

Wyrmbyte - Network engineering, Universe, Servers - Louisville Colorado

Virtuos - Ships, 1st version of the Cutlass, props - Shanghai, China

RedHotCG - props - Shanghai, China

voidALPHA - environment & concept art - Emeryville, California

Not even sure this covers all the ones we know about (faceware, Side for casting etc), never mind the ones that were never made public. Now consider that Chris Roberts doesn't seem able to do much himself, so he hires people, after a while the relationship normally ends. It now appears, the relationship sometimes ends very badly

quote:

Yes, you're missing:

Streamline Studios (Netherlands) - SQ42 Art (stuff in leak)

Massive Black (California) - Art

Atomahawk Design (England) - Art

Confetti Special FX (California) - Nebula tech and explosion particle effects

3lateral (Serbia) - Facial mapping

Cubic Motion (England) - Facial animation

Liquid Development (Oregon) - art

The period where they were using this massive list of outsourced studios is actually the period where the project made the most progress - we got the Hangar Module, Social Module, Arena Commander, Illfonic Star Marine with Sataball, Ship Adverts, and saw some stuff of SQ42.

Then they started transitioning stuff in house in mid-2015 to mid-2016, and that's basically the point everything ground to a halt. It's clear most of the work these old studios did have been redone to Chris whims, and they're now firefighting all the time and chasing the next gimmick.

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 18, 2019

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

tooterfish posted:

Jesus, look at Erin in that picture. He's half the man he is now.

That cosplay outfit really was one use only

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Newsweek has all the exclusives...

quote:

"It's not just another ship. It's a ship and a feature coming together and being launched straight out there."

quote:

It launches in bleeding-edge Evocati testing later this week and is planned to be on live servers sometime around the game's anniversary on October 10. In the months ahead, then, CIG has many plans for the future of this ship and its hallmark feature.

One such goal is to make both Quantum Enforcement mechanics more nuanced. "I'm sure in the future we want to require you to have a bunch of Mantises or other ships with Quantum Enforcement Devices and pull them together to pull out a large Capital Ship," Tome suggested. "Maybe there will be a Capital Ship designed to pull out other Capital Ships. But for this first version we won't quite get to that balancing yet."

quote:

As Crewe admitted, the sheer vastness of the Star Citizen universe also creates some curious snags. "One thing that people might see as a bug is the expectation that every time you fire this thing off you're going to get a hit," he said. "That's probably not going to be the case. We're going to try and limit those dead catches as best we can, but it is a very situational thing."

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Wait I just reread this bit:

"the game's anniversary on October 10"

Does Chris celebrate his conception every year?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

eonwe posted:

hello
  • Chris is supposedly in havana but: "Turbulent got an offensive phone call from Guatemala"
  • nobody is running derby, there is a hologram that welcomes you at the door now
  • Ben keeps sending postcards with ship doodles on, they actually liked The Medusa. ("Talk of mirror ships to counter.")
  • A mood band which alters FOIP launches in october: "Trials of the lurking response have been upsetting."
  • Papy hasn't been seen since the death stranding video, there is a scratching sound coming from his room
  • Exclusive emotes planned for Spectrum: "We have an exploration flavour for the High Admiral tier"
  • "Somebody keeps cutting the crytek logo into mouse mats"

hosed up if true

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 25, 2019

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Hav posted:

I bought a Valve Index. Can someone point me at a resource for mining in ED?

Yes but you'll have to interface with reddit

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Gaming evolves...

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Zaphod42 posted:

Ahahaha every time I think I know how bad SC is, they surprise me and they're even worse

Elite is already everything SC could ever hope to be

Zaphod42 posted:

Not being able to fly anywhere is a big problem with EVE Online and It makes me laugh really hard that Elite fixed it and lets you actually fly anywhere but SC didn't lmao

ED tries to do wayyyy too many things, and so does loads of them badly. It gets a big pass for being mainly functional and pretty, but it's still shot through with SC-style overreach. Not sure lauding its select strengths vs the deficits of other games means that much.

But I'll still laugh, and have a play, if they double down and add FPS in 2020, as events keep suggesting:

I guess NMS will have another annual freebie update by then too. Probably exploration richness of something.

Should be a fun year XD

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Magnifico!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
So is the water thing cropping up in new locations because they're placed inside the sea of the system map, or because the location's internal sea hasn't been bug smooshed yet? I guess what I'm asking is: Can you have a sea inside a sea?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
I have looked on Chris's works, and I despair

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Bubbacub posted:

Those people who built simpits in their basements for SC...what do they do with them?

Play NMS...

https://twitter.com/StripesbyNW/status/1110302711868608513/photo/1

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

TheAgent posted:

I'll be onsite and completely loving drunk (but v respectful) during space court

gonna livetweet me a loving crobear quote

But that's not til 2020!

Can we get the outtakes from your inbox in the meantime? Guys claiming Chris eats fish raw and slides around the office like a sealion. Stuff like that.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Thom12255 posted:

I didn't know Ben was behind the original ships - he single-handily made this all possible lol.

https://twitter.com/discolando/status/1151273965882445824

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Thom12255 posted:

I wonder if Ben also has deep frustrations about development after all these years and if he ever doubts his Chris God. The game is marketed primarily to him and those like him and he's gotta be let down in some way.

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/1137890175005143051

(Ok I'll stop with dumb tweets now)

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Bofast posted:

I think the last VIP event for that stupid minelayer ship was claimed to be sponsored by Anvil, as well?

I think you'll find they were celebrating a legacy of fruitful cooperation

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Beluga Snail posted:

Question - where would the archive of the various development history things be floating around? I can't seem to find it, namely that picture from the early days team that looks like a Trump Cabinet photo because there's only like 2 people left in total.

Not sure on the archive, but here's some stuff that probably comes from there originally, including that photo.

Archive itself is bound to be in SCAM somewhere...

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 5, 2019

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
3.Heaven

RECONNECT TO SERVER LYING ON THE FLOOR

quote:

-character is laying on the floor where the game had originally crashed at
-character unresponsive to physical input rather than head movements

quote:

At daymar on foot when game crashed. Spawned back into laying position while plummeting into planets core.

DAYMAR CAVE - MISSING CLIENT CHAD CAMDEN - STUCK IN FLOOR

quote:

ACTUAL RESULT:

Body stuck in T-Pose in the floor

NPC GLITCH OLISAR

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKtA38w24wE

NPC running / glitching around. Be careful if you come too close it will actually kill you

WAKING UP WHILE WEARING THE BACKPACK RUCKSACK IS VERY HARD TO DO

quote:

Because of the rucksack the camera/eyes are only just above the chest and when pressing F there is no GET UP text visible.

TRAM AT ARCCORPS TAKES ME INTO HIGH ALTITUDE

---

Plus, you know, lots of falling through cave floors.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Virtual Captain posted:

Bootcha showed up so yeah we did one ARGCast. One more and that's it for today. PM me if you wanna be on the show.

https://www.twitch.tv/virtual_captain

Is there an archive for these anywhere VC?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Virtual Captain posted:

There are 16 on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzukKdPOxKngLkDYgpIcwsA/videos

A few more on Anchor: https://anchor.fm/star-citizen-argcast

The rest are sitting on my HDD unorganized waiting for a drive failure me to upload them.

Sweet, sweet FUD. Ta!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Tippis posted:

unless the game itself is already a CPU hug.

NMS is a CPU throttle.

But it's in VR-orama, so I forgive it.