Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

DarkDobe posted:

Thank you for posting my creation. I lost it when I rebuilt my pc.

Your work is much appreciated, this is at least a tier 3 gif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

UnknownTarget posted:

I'd like to offer another reason why Chris isn't finishing the game: fear. There's that thing where people will work on something forever or always say "oh I could do X if I put my mind to it, if I wanted to" but never actually follow through because they're afraid of failing and of being judged.

Maybe Chris wants to keep the money train going because he's just not confident in his vision? Deep down he probably wonders if he's not good enough, and that fear paralyzes him from releasing the game. Especially now so that he's hyped up S42 as a mega-hit genre-defining blockbuster.

No, no no.

I assure you that Chris Roberts has never engaged in even the slightest self examination of his strengths and weaknesses.

There are direct quotes from him (I believe in the infamous 'absolution' video) that if only all his employees were at his level of skill they could have completed features in the originally estimated timeframe. He made videogames decades ago, he made a movie, and by god that makes him a genius in his mind. Any faults in the game are the employees, the goons, and goddamn Derek Smart!

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Pharohman777 posted:

Oh yeah, so Chris may either be on illegal drugs or he is the victim of a herbalife type mlm. In the 'luxury' dinner where he sold the minelayer, he told one of the whales there that he's using some sort of vitamin that perks him up and keeps him going, but he forgot the name of it.

It was so outrageous that one of the goons went through the trouble of determining if the person who posted that was a real star citizen backer or just a rando trolling.

And so arrives the inevitable transformation of the RSI website into an MLM marketing page.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

The way I read it, and I could be wrong, was that normally developers will make a game with a bunch of ideas and throw them together into an alpha. Then to get to beta they trim down what doesn't work, or what isn't balanced, or makes sense for the game they're trying to make. But since SC has had a playable alpha, and because they're selling ships based on gameplay loops they don't have- they can't really do that "trim down" phase...

If they decided land claims and customizable bases just weren't doable, well poo poo, they've already hyped people up and sold them ships and land claims for it...

If they decided, I dunno- passenger ships just didn't fit in with their new, trimmed-down vision of the game- same problem. (assuming they sat down and actually finalized what kind of game they wanted to make...)

Yes, using Anthem as an example (a poor example but it's the one that I have the most insight on) you can see what could have gone (more) wrong if they had done what SC is doing.

At EA your games have to make it through several 'gates' in order to continue not being shut down or being cut significantly. Near-ish the beginning of Anthem's development they had to demo to some higher-ups so they wanted to come up with a 'killer feature' to build some internal hype. They came up with the whole flying thing to demo to Patrick Söderlund which he apparently loved. Later on they came up with the overheating concept to limit flight times.

Imagine they had come up with the flying thing in an open alpha and started selling different flight packs and all kinds of other crap. Later on they realize the flying doesn't work and they want to cut it down with the overheating thing? Too bad, already sold a ton of stuff based on unlimited flying.

CIG is 100% locked in to delivering everything they have ever sold as a feature.
I love it.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

Scary isn't it?

There again, being an ED player, i'm very used to regressions anyway. Its like FD can't add anything to the game without spawning half a dozen regression. I shudder to think what their codebase must look like.

By my calculations, if ED is bad then SC is good.

Rubbing will now commence.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

1stGear posted:

have citizens ever played a video game

Erm, is the s1r trying to tell me that Mass Effect was one of the first 'open world' games? Their favorite comparisons of Elder Scrolls and GTA were doing that a long time ago.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Bootcha posted:

What does your heart tell you?

Really though? I don't think my heart can handle this revelation.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

Its looking quite cool.

Hey, look, they made their own engine!

I guess they thought about their gameplay requirements first before making ships.

Well, let's not get too effusive in our praise of the Infinity team here. It was originally a solo guy (later he partnered with another guy) making a space MMO called Infinity: Quest for Earth. That was in development since at least 2006 and he had been working on the engine for at least several years before that. He wasn't selling ships or anything, but he was soliciting actual game assets from the fanbase. This went on for years with very little apparent progress until he finally figured out that it was kind of insane to try and make a space MMO solo.
But it took 4-5 years for him to come to that realization. So it was at that point that they scrapped literally everything except the engine and started over with the Battlescape idea, leaving the MMO idea on the backburner, dependent on significantly more funding than was ever realistic.

So if we want to be accurate, Infinity has been in development for well over a decade. But in the end I suppose there will be an actual game out of it, and he didn't scam anyone out of thousands of dollars.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Bubbacub posted:

It's weird how certain buzzwords just go out of vogue. I haven't heard them say "refactor" or "subsumption" in a while.

If they mention 'subsumption' it will bring up the spectre of their AI tech again and even Chris and Sandi know their AI is utter garbage. So I'm guessing the plan now is to completely ignore all their promises about 'indistinguishable' AI and hope everybody forgets about it.

As you know, all current AI efforts are going into the bartender.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Gotta admit, I thought ResetEra would be smarter than that, but I am disappointed once again. I kinda forget that it's ostensibly a gaming forum as I only post/read in the retirement investing thread and the canadian politics one.
Now I'm going to get stuck in another star citizen thread.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

They split off from neogaf because that place went down the drain. The threads that I read are quite good but not gaming related so maybe that's where the submission to hype comes in.

Let's not forget that this very thread was full of believers in its early incarnations.

Megalobster posted:

Ha, ResetEra, the forum filled with insane people who see toxic masculinity and the patriarchy everywhere, with mods that will ban you for arguing that Catherine isn't a transphobic game.

Quite funny to see people there being actual SC fanboys, the cognitive dissonance must be hard for them when they encounter the rest of the community, or when they read the unironically fascist lore.

Yeah, you sound like the kind of person that unironically calls other people 'snowflakes' or 'sjws'. ResetEra being a haven from the usual gamergater-type gamer behavior and views is a point in its favor, not a negative.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

"It is known"

Yes indeed. All you must do is repeat the mantras from The Holy Book of the Bear and the knowledge of game development will be bestowed upon you.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Bofast posted:

Yeah, isn't it more or less required to show all prices with VAT included in the UK?
I will say, the "Me, myself and UI" name for the UI panel is not bad, unlike the UI itself.

Zane Bien is an embarrassment and I find it a bit difficult to believe that he hasn't melted into the floor out of pure shame.

On another note, "hiring in all departments" eh? Their turnover levels must be atrocious.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Jumping on the coffee train, we have 2 expensive looking Italian things that you can use to do your own lattes or whatever crap people drink from them.

I just drink black coffee, so I use this thing

https://www.keurig.ca/eccellenza-touch-brewer

It can do french vanilla, some chocolate type things, and normal coffee. You choose that, you choose your bean (1 of 2, or blend), choose your size, and how strong.

After reading that barista's rant I'm glad that the maintenance and supplies bit of running this machine is contracted out to someone (also the machine provider I imagine).

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Mr. Carlisle posted:

A Jpeg being in concept for 5+ years is definitely not a huge red flag for a scam completely covered in red flags

Do you even know about the pipelines you doofus?
Some are longer and some are shorter, this is game development.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Thoatse posted:

lmao

The full Chick Tract comic is ripe for Galorex's touch or any of the thread's talented shoopers to fix https://www.chick.com/products/tract?stk=25

Yikes, that's a pretty rough one. Aren't these supposed to be given to kids? Prison rape resulting in AIDS seems a bit much.
I'm not entirely clear on why the cop is undercover as one of the Village People but I don't understand tract development so that's probably it.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

I will set my car on fire if Squadron 42 sells even 100,000 copies beyond what has already been 'sold' upon its official release. I'm also predicting a metacritic of below 50.
Although I'm guessing it would be pretty difficult to get any legit 3rd-party sales numbers. Is there any chance that Squadron 42 would be sold on Steam or something?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Imagine being enough of a turbonerd to have a Kill on Sight list for a game that barely exists, for the high crime of criticism of said game.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

I rescind this post.

Cyberpunk was being actively worked from at least some point in 2014 so it's nearly as old as Star Citizen.

Cat tax:

Fidelitious fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 7, 2019

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

I played all the MGS games via that MGS HD Collection on PS3 a couple years ago, that being the first time I had ever played one. Followed it up with MGS4 and 5.

As a review of Kojima, I don't remember a loving thing about most of the story as it was all weird conspiracy nonsense. The gameplay was fairly solid throughout although I imagine it was more interesting on its initial release than it was when I ended up playing it. MGS5 was a fairly big departure but I quite liked that one.

In the end, nothing particularly outstanding about them but solid. Maybe if he had made less weird-rear end storylines I would have cared to remember what was going on.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

Just started watching Doom Patrol and when i saw the name Alan Tudyk i thought, that name is familiar. Then i saw the actor and it was like, fricking Firefly of course.

I think you mean A Knight's Tale :colbert:

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Popete posted:

You don't win Dwarf Fortress, you simply find new fun ways for your fortress to fail hilariously.

You really gotta approach it knowing you will fail and it's an absolute blast.

I also find it more interesting to just read Let's Plays of it. The knowledge that you have to have to actually get to the interesting bits is so arcane and tedious that I don't find it worth it. Not to mention the atrocious interface and controls.
I think it's an amazing game but it's also basically unplayable unless you dedicate a serious amount of time just to figure out basic stuff.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

quote:

Unless you report your vehicle stolen to law enforcement (this can be easily done at an ASOP terminal), you are still considered the legal owner of the ship and are responsible for certain crimes perpetrated by it.

SoftNum posted:

This law poo poo reads like a dumb ancaps ideas of how laws work

This makes no sense at all. First off, if your vehicle is stolen then of course you are still the legal owner of the ship. CIG, you dumbfucks. If you don't remain the legal owner of the ship then who is? The guy who stole it? So now he legally owns your ship, is that really what you're saying CIG?

And how can you be responsible for "certain crimes perpetrated by [the ship]"? A ship doesn't perpetrate crimes, it's an object. If I steal your gun (and hope that you don't report it stolen, otherwise I become the legal owner you know) and shoot someone with it, the gun has now committed a crime and you are responsible for murder.

Amazing. This must have been written by one of their "senior" lore writers.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

I think that's why space games are best handled by not really allowing you to do anything "on-foot" on planets. Conceptually it's a cool idea to expand beyond "you're a spaceship" to "you're a person in a spaceship" but it creates expectations for on-foot content that are almost impossible to meet. I can imagine some really tightly-controlled on-foot segments for set-piece story segments or ship boarding actions or something but what value is really added by letting you walk around a "living" city vs. quickly accessing quests from people via menus?

This is sort of what Mass Effect did, you couldn't just go wherever you wanted on-foot because that would have been stupid and pointless. They had limited areas where you could talk to NPCs for story purposes and all the combat missions dropped you right into the interesting part, you weren't slogging your way across planets and space in real-time.

I can't even comprehend how much money they have blown in relation to this whole idea of making everything 'fidelitious' when it would have been cheaper to do it in a Mass Effect-ish way and it would also be a way better game.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

echothreealpha posted:

I know some of you guys used to be backers, when did it start turning sour?

Technically I am still a backer because my "investment" was small enough to not even bother getting it back. I was around backer #2000.

If I can recall, I was a believer for about 2 years or so while they were pushing their idea about the separate modules that would then be merged together into the actual game. I can't point to a specific point in time but there were a number of incidents such as the whole FPS module fiasco, the relentless expanding of scope, and just the general sense of things being spoken about and then never mentioned again. I wager there are current whales that don't even know what Sataball is, but I was there when it happened!

Croberts wrote that unhinged rant about the Escapist article which was a pretty big red flag. Also at some point after the infamous July blog I joined up on Derek's forum for a bit which was kind of interesting. I got banned from his Discord within a day but I don't remember why.

I think it can really just be pinned down to eventually realizing like "wow, [x] amount of time has passed and literally nothing has been accomplished except that there are some ships that can fly around really jankily"
That was at least 4 years ago and nothing has really progressed much since then besides more unnecessary fidelity.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Yeah I think y'all are being oversold on how 'bad' this was for CIG. Obviously it was the usual disaster but I expect that their annual funding will not crater, but just be a bit lower than usual.
The last time there was a finances analysis the understanding was that with the Calder's investment and assuming roughly normal pledge levels they can go at least another 2-3 years before their finances hit crisis level.

I see no reason for them to pack it in until they absolutely have to as it allows them to extract the most cash possible from the husk of the company.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Imagine having your army of artists working on useless poo poo like "biome accumulation" because the actual functionality of the game is so far behind that there's nothing real for them to work on.

They should probably let half their artists go to free up a ton of salary room and then use it to hire half their number in actual competent developers and at least 1 person that can prevent Chris' "vision" from continually loving up the project.
As usual though, the actual ongoing issue is that everything has to be approved by Chris which must be slowing down the progress to a crawl, while also making the game completely incoherent.

What gets me is that in that interview where they talked about the Wing Commander movie he said something about how he wished he had someone around to rein him in and make him cut stuff out of the movie to make it maintainable. Now it's the same drat thing happening and he refuses again to have someone play that role. Chris can be the vision guy, sure whatever, but he needs someone else to actually be running the design of the game and push back against his nonsense.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Mirificus posted:

r/ChroniclesOfElyria

Was this another one of those storylines that someone came up with at some point and now it's just a thing they say?
I've been around this thread for a while now and I don't recall anyone ever defending Derek.

His blogs have been a running joke for years, we laugh at his escapades with the ESC key, his determination to not understand european punctuation, his crap Line of Defense game, and he's been banned from this thread like 3 times.
He came up with some interesting tidbits related to CIG every now and then and his internet warlording brought a lot of joy to a lot of people, but yeah, he's an idiot.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Do some of these idiots actually think that Mirificus is a bot?

I don't think they understand joke development.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

It makes sense as they would tend to hit a massive roadblock once it needs to be "Playable" right? "Whitebox Narrative" is super easy because that's just a formalized dreams.txt but having a working thing? That's just straight out of reach.

I can't imagine that there's a Squadron release of any sort in 2020.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Rugganovich posted:

He hates feminism or has a dislike for certain 'feminists'?

Or is this code for "Star Citizen is good"?

To make it clearer, Thunderfoot is a piece of poo poo.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Popete posted:

Was that the year they used the command console to teleport back to the mission location because even CIG can't be bothered with all their time wasting travel.

I think so, that was when there was a jump that had to be made to get the commando to another section of the wrecked ship to pick up some sort of circuit board. The first time around the player missed the jump, fell about 2 feet and broke every bone in their legs.

Which I guess is kind of cool.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

This idea of "recruiting" new players seems to be really prevalent in Star Citizen. I can only imagine that this is because they're trying to flesh out the peasant class of players that will man their mega-yachts.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

IcarusUpHigh posted:

I don't think Star Citizen is very good personally. I think infact, it is the opposite of good.

Star Citizen is bad.

Hmm. Tell me more.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Yeah, I think people really underestimate server costs once your game is at production scale. I have some insight into real numbers from current AAA games. The monthly AWS cost for just one of the supporting gameplay services (think stuff other than actual game servers like tracking achievements, stats, social stuff, transactions, etc.) is near 1 million dollars. This is one of the heavier services and I doubt that Star Citizen would ever get near the same PSU numbers but you can imagine that their server costs will be well over that 1 million mark per month.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

I dunno man, get rid of all the fans and liquid cool everything.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Sandweed posted:

Ok because every time someone submits a dog that has a "foreign" sounding name the account changes it to an acceptable western dog name.

Can I get some examples of this because that sounds hilarious in a horrifying kind of way.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Spiderdrake posted:

Google "celery man"

Not sure what I expected, but it wasn't that.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Ok, I've finally bothered to watch that teaser video.

I'm currently at 1:30 and so far it's just been flyby's of art assets and sometimes they're animating a bit.

2:00 - spinning ships a la model viewer, why would they put this in here

After reaching the end I had this suspicion that I had somehow all seen this before, and then it hit me.
This looks exactly like the generic style of video that Epic puts out when they're hyping a new version of Unreal Engine. The slow panning shots over art assets to show off whatever new reflection technology they've come up with, the lingering shots on a room full of stuff that can generate particles (laser beams, sparks, fire) to show off new effects capabilities, it's all there. It is no exaggeration to say if you didn't know better, this could be released by 3dmark or whoever as a new benchmarking scene and you would have no idea it's an "actual" game.

Except for that it doesn't look particularly impressive I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

ggangensis posted:

I'am not sure how many of the old CryEngine wizards are still with CIG, though. At least for me it seems like a bad gig for them to stay with CIG. These people are clearly qualified I`am sure they could find another job in the industry pretty easily that's not some crowdfunded dead end with a pretty bad reputation. But as long as it pays the bills, who knows.

Yeah, people have mentioned that Cryengine specific skills are not in demand, which is true, but that's not really the point. Game engine related skills are extremely valuable to the right people. Sometime last year we received an email from the CEO (I think?) regarding a promotion for one of the Frostbite guys. If you're the kind of engineer that generates graphics programming related patents and other novel techniques that's the kind of poo poo that happens. Now not saying that these Cryengine guys are at that level but this guy is getting paid more than the vast majority of senior-level management at EA for his engine work.

Took a look to figure it out, it's Henrik Karlsson.