Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Still actually want this game to be finished and be good. I know Star Citizen is a scam and will never release though, but that fact still sucks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

People like talking about this Kickstarter because there is nothing like it. Development started in 2011, it is still pre-alpha, there is $27,000 DLC packages that normal people have paid for, and the game is nearing $300 million dollars. Something like this has never been seen before, and it really shows a critical fatal flaw in both the way capitalism works, and how broken the game industry is. That something like this is acceptable to millions of people, is just completely wild to me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is from the movie Serenity, in case anyone is curious. Joss Whedon is the director, so it has its usual all women are objects for the men to use, but otherwise it's a solid fun sci-fi movie.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

skeletors_condom posted:

Congrats to everyone on the new thread!

Can someone invite Chris Roberts? And unban Derek Smart? :smuggo:

:5:

Would unironically like Chris Roberts in here, but keep Derek Smart banned. Besides, can you imagine the melt down Smart would have if Roberts were in this thread, answering our questions so long as we made sincere attempts to talk with him?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Because there are a lot of people in here who are likely new and don't know the full story: All of the ships being posted about in this thread, that you buy right now with real money.... not a single one of them is actually in the game, they were all revealed in 2011 but still cannot be flown yet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Daztek posted:

It's even better in euros with VAT.

These for example are not in the game yet and are 3+ years out from being made available according to the road map.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Agony Aunt posted:

You missed the most important backer.

What is the backstory to this image?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Just your average citizen.

With all due respect, that could just as easily be a goon.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

Hi new thread & posters! One of my favorite little bits of Star Citizen development bell is the use of backer money to pay streamers to pay this piece of poo poo and give them free ships to gently caress around in:

https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1165374172828246016?s=20

Not! A! Scam!

You get this pretty space yacht, and you have sit around in the pool in combat armor and a space helmet. Game needs some civilian clothing to wear for proper role playing.* This is something that GTA Online did extremely well.

*Buy now for a dozen pieces of clothing for $400. Clothing not available until retail version 3.0.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

holy poo poo :lol:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I thought there was civilian clothing...? I remember Robbaz doing a video where he was loving around with the facecam tracking and he went into a store where he could try on clothes. And weren't there a bunch of in-game graphic Ts as subscriber rewards?

Turns out there is! I am always surprised when it turns out this game has an actual feature in it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CIG could do the ethical and right thing and offer refunds. But Chris Roberts is a conman more than anything.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

At least on the Star Citizen reddit, where it's bootlicking central, more and more backers appear to be turning on the project and raising serious doubts about the game ever being finished. A lot of people are starting to get upset at the fact that original promises have either been canceled out right or have not been worked on in years. People are wanting just the base game promises to be finished first, and are understandably upset as to why this is not happening. Of course if you raise these same problems on the official forums you are instantly banned from both the forums and the game, and you get no refund.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lmao it's almost as if spending this kinda money to fund a video game, while getting nothing back in return, is a terrible loving idea that raises all sorts of red flags. :thunk:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Star Citizen is a game I wish would turn out good but I know it won't be.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Carcer posted:

This a bug report in response to real cash bought weapons disappearing when you die.

lol when backers insist this game is not a scam.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yavuz posted:

in the unlikely case that you die while trying to use your weapon, it will fall out of your hands, sprout feet and legs, and scamper away squealing "feets don't fail me now!"

That bug report implies that you can loot people. So someone who has spend only $45 on this game can possibly pick up a weapon or even a ship that is worth thousands of dollars, for free.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OngP6uEfQoE

Videos like this are why i've given up on Digital Foundry and written them off as nothing more than a shill piece. This is a pretty bad Star Citizen video that does nothing more than shill for CIG and try to be an advertising piece for the game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This person is extremely creepy and more than a little scary.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nothing about this is healthy. People are giving money to an overbloated project that has gotten away from itself and shows no signs of ever actually reaching 1.0.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

People are unironically celebrating a game that has been in pre-alpha for 7 years. Nothing about this is normal.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This ship is $300 USD.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Exinos posted:

Every studio, or even just random group of dev's that want to make a space game, will release a feature complete version of star citizen before croberts.

I love that the faithful still like claiming that the first few years don't count due to studios getting setup, despite the fact smaller teams continue to show an ability to do more with less than Chris had. It's almost like there is a single constant roadblock at CIG no matter how many years roll past or how many people they cycle through.

No matter what, every single backer will just tell you that Star Citizen has only been in development for a year. The goal post changes every single year.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Toxic Mental posted:

The biggest Brazilian stream YoDa is streaming this now and the game actually has over 500 viewers WOW!!

https://www.twitch.tv/yoda

He got off a train and one of the guys he was with bumped into him and they both died and they're basically just running around trying to explore but the environment keeps killing them before they cant do anything.

He is up to 14,000 viewers, but who knows why? There is nothing to do. He is just running around aimlessly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I've been out of the loop for months. What new has happened. I googled it and they apparently added spelunking. How's that going?

And what's slated for Citizencon?

There are caves now, but nothing to actually do with them. The game still has no activities. Despite being an MMO that is suppose to support thousands of players at once, and have hundreds of millions of solar systems, you're still stuck to one solar with, with 15 players at once. That is all of the progress made in 7 years.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This years CitizenCon, Chris Roberts is going to decapitate a non-believer live on stage.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TheAgent posted:

hellion is dead

If a team of sincere developers that gave it their all, cannot finish a game of this scope, then I don't see how Star Citizen can pull off its scope either.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CIG's current being extremely generous estimate, is that the beta test for Squadron 42 will be sometime in 2020. There's very little reason to believe this will happen though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Creating a massive online space sim is a lot of work. The Elite devs are still doing a better job at it then Star Citizen is. Elite also still has significantly more content.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am going to serious response this just because that is the kinda idiot that I am; Cyberpunk 2077 is not deserving of criticism because it did not begin development until 2016, and it was not a crowd funded project. It's a 100% self funded game with CDPR being its own publisher. Star Citizen is the exact opposite, it started development in 2012, and is a crowd funded project. It is a huge problem that Chris Roberts refuses to acknowledge this, and that he believes there should be zero accountability.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thank you thank you thank you for taking the time, doing it right, not cutting corners, going the extra mile, and making the best drat space sim ever!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Spoiler alert: no actual PvP happens here, no one dies, nothing happens at all.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ben Lesnick is a moron, but his tweets about classic space sim gaming are kinda fun to see.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Click the link so you can listen to this with the music. The edit is fantastic.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is what happens when your game is designed entirely by white men who only wear tshirts and jeans.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kosumo posted:

The most creative part of Star Citizen is the accounting.

I have always given Chris Roberts credit for being able to con people into giving him nearly 300 million dollars for no reason other than a promise to maybe someday deliver a finished product. Ignoring how completely shaddy and unethical this is for a moment, that is really impressive.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is the beta of Squadron 42 still happening next year? I mean, I know in my heart the answer is no, but has Chris said anything yet?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thom12255 posted:

Pretty sure it has been completely ignored.

:lol: that was suppose to be the massive 2020 flagship milestone for CIG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

echothreealpha posted:

I can't believe they've shown some 'stealth gameplay' with non-working AI

someone make me understand.

CIG is hoping they can con people (it's working).