Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Quavers posted:

Lirik is streaming Star Citizen again, trying to play it from a beginner's point of view in a starter ship :v:

https://www.twitch.tv/lirik

I like to witness the majesty of how robert's has saved PC gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
hellion is dead

quote:

Hellion - end of development
Hello space survivors!

It's been a long time since the ideas of a future multiplayer space survival game were discussed among the founders of Zero Gravity and creators of Hellion. Our journey started with playing with orbs representing the planets, each carefully moved by skilled hands in a simulation of what would later become orbital mechanics in the game. From the very first moment, we wanted to make a complex and realistic simulation of a solar system within a multiplayer sandbox environment. The goal was huge and ambitious and the course set.

With a full team, it took us less than two years to make our vision into a reality. Hellion was launched in Early Access in February 2017. We succeeded in releasing a game that was almost impossible to be made, often having to cross and bend the boundaries of our game engine – Unity. The start was a little bumpy but soon enough players recognized that our game was providing a unique experience that could not be found in any other game. The support of our players has confirmed that Hellion is truly special and we are very proud of it.

We are also proud of you – our players. We couldn’t have even dreamed of creating such a dedicated and engaging community as ours is – both on Steam and on Discord. We are grateful for all the support you gave us during these years and for all wonderful adventures we went through while trying to survive Hellion’s gaze. This expedition left a mark on us for life. Together we built the world of Hellion.

Unfortunately, the cruel reality is – not enough players were brought into our world of Hellion to make it commercially viable. After the sloppy start of the game, predominately in terms of bugs and issues, we gave our best to fix the game and add new content via numerous patches and updates. Hellion grew, got better, but is still far from the original idea of what Hellion was meant to be. Factions, additional ships, trade posts, all of this was simply put aside since our team was constantly fighting technical issues, some of which were simply impossible to be solved for good.

That struggle is coming to an end. At this point, without an influx of new players, the game doesn’t pay for its development. That’s why we had to make some hard decisions…

• Zero Gravity can’t afford for further development of Hellion. There will be no new updates, bugfixes or any official changes to the game.
  • However, since the game is playable and we believe it offers a unique gameplay experience, we want to keep it going for players who want to enjoy it.
  • Hellion will leave Early Access without achieving goals we originally set out to do.
  • In order to keep the servers up, we will continue selling the game on Steam. Since the game is not fully finished, the price will be lowered to 15 USD (starting tomorrow Oct. 16).
  • Control over the official servers will be handed to Hellion’s Discord moderators.
  • Moderators will stay in touch with us for any important events that might occur.

We are absolutely aware that many of you will find these news disappointing. This is a hard time for us. We invested a huge amount of effort and work into Hellion and our hearts and minds were in this project for many years. Now, Hellion’s development is coming to an end and we are sad that our vision for the game was not fully realized.

Once again, thank you for your support, ideas, reports, content you’ve created and everything else you’ve done for this survival expedition. Thank you immensely!

Yours,
Zero Gravity Team

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I've been out of the loop for months. What new has happened. I googled it and they apparently added spelunking. How's that going?

The caves are great! It turns out cryengine is really good at making cave zones. Almost like FPS maps are what it was designed to do. While you are in the cave your dude can mine by hand and carry ore to the surface to sell, an activity that would be completely useless if the mining ships worked. Adding caves has like doubled the amount of gameplay in the 'game' so everybody is thrilled to be crawling around caves on foot in their space dogfighting game.

You can also pick fruit. And collect animal dung. There are no animals yet, just dung.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

This is dumb, but not as bad as the idiots who got SC tattoos.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TheAgent posted:

hellion is dead

If a team of sincere developers that gave it their all, cannot finish a game of this scope, then I don't see how Star Citizen can pull off its scope either.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

skeletors_condom posted:

I'm pretty sure this will make it go faster crash unexpectedly

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
how much is lirik being paid for this lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
he like can't loving stand the game

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

TheAgent posted:

he like can't loving stand the game

Tried to land, gets on the comms after struggling to figure it out (it's really confusing), they give him permission but there's still a red barrier around the base. He gets some conflicting info from the chat about what to do, but eventually just makes for the icon he's given for his landing berth. Crosses the red barrier and instantly explodes.

He uh... didn't seem too happy about that. Great way to end a stream, though.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

HexiDave posted:

Tried to land, gets on the comms after struggling to figure it out (it's really confusing), they give him permission but there's still a red barrier around the base. He gets some conflicting info from the chat about what to do, but eventually just makes for the icon he's given for his landing berth. Crosses the red barrier and instantly explodes.

He uh... didn't seem too happy about that. Great way to end a stream, though.
"the best part was being in an asteroid field"

like lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
https://clips.twitch.tv/PlumpKawaiiJuiceKeyboardCat

here's some amazing FPS AI Subsumption or whatever, jesus christ why the gently caress are people giving this game money

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

TheAgent posted:

"the best part was being in an asteroid field"

like lol

I, too, prefer the dead silence among the rocks in an infinite void of darkness to playing Star Citizen.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

TheAgent posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/PlumpKawaiiJuiceKeyboardCat

here's some amazing FPS AI Subsumption or whatever, jesus christ why the gently caress are people giving this game money

Everytime he shoots, it looks like the rounds are being fired from his forehead. It's disconcerting and weird.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheAgent posted:

hellion is dead

Hold on, i'll just fix this up for when SC goes the same way.

Star Citizen - end of development
Hello suckers!

It's been a long time since the ideas of a best drat space sim ever were discussed among the founders of CIG and creators of Star Citizen. Our journey started with the sale of JPGs representing gameplay features that we wouldn't deliver on, each carefully crafted by skilled hands in our JPG factory and what would later become the core of our funding model. From the very first moment, we wanted to make an insanely complex and realistic simulation of a cave exploration system within a multiplayer sandbox environment. The goal was huge and ambitious and the course was set.

With a full team, it took us less than two years (because development only really started 2 years ago) to make our vision into a reality. Star Citizen was launched in Early Access Beta in February 2027. We succeeded in releasing a game that was almost impossible to be made, often having to cross and bend the boundaries of our game engine – Unreal, which as you know, we switched to after realizing that CryEngine wasn't going to be able to give us the fidelity we desired. The start was a little bumpy but soon enough players recognized that our game was providing a unique experience that could not be found in any other game. The support of our players has confirmed that Star Citizen is truly special and we are very proud of it.

We are also proud of you – our whales. We couldn’t have even dreamed of creating such a dedicated and engaging community as ours is – both on Epic Store and on Spectrum. We are grateful for all the support you gave us during these decades and for all wonderful adventures we went through while trying to survive Star Citizen’s gaze. This expedition left a mark on us for life. Together we built the world of Star Citizen.

Unfortunately, the cruel reality is – not enough players were brought into our world of Star Citizen to make it commercially viable, even after we sold 50% of the company to Epic. After the sloppy start of the game, predominately in terms of bugs and issues, we gave our best to fix the game and add new content via numerous patches and updates. Star Citizen grew, got better, but is still far from the original idea of what Star Citizen was meant to be. Factions, additional ships, trade posts, all of this was simply put aside since our team was constantly fighting technical issues, some of which were simply impossible to be solved for good.

That struggle is coming to an end. At this point, without an influx of new players, the game doesn’t pay for its development. That’s why we had to make some hard decisions…

CIG can’t afford for further development of Star Citizen. There will be no new updates, bugfixes or any official changes to the game.
However, since the game is playable and we believe it offers a unique gameplay experience, we want to keep it going for players who want to enjoy it.
Star Citizen will leave Early Access without achieving the kickstarter goals we originally set out to do.
In order to keep the servers up, we will continue selling the game on Epic store. Since the game is not fully finished, the price will be lowered to 15 USD (starting tomorrow Oct. 16).
Control over the official servers will be handed to the Something Awful moderators.
Moderators will stay in touch with us for any important events that might occur.

We are absolutely aware that many of you will find these news disappointing. This is a hard time for us. We invested a huge amount of effort and work into Star Citizen and our hearts and minds were in this project for many years. Now, Star Citizen’s development is coming to an end and we are sad that our vision for the game was not fully realized.

Once again, thank you for your support, ideas, reports, content you’ve created and everything else you’ve done for this survival expedition. Thank you immensely!

Yours,
Chris Roberts
With love from the Bahamas

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Agony Aunt posted:

Control over the official servers will be handed to the Something Awful moderators.
Moderators will stay in touch with us for any important events that might occur.

:five::five::five::five::five:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Inacio posted:

wait is that guy someone important?
i thought it was just about the pins

CI!G is somewhat infamous now for "suitcasing" cons (as in attending but not paying for an official booth like normal devs/publishers); and so we make fun of them for it. Some con recently they were at they had to keep moving cause they would tweet "find us by X" every 15 minutes as security or whoever made 'em move.

EDIT: also i have an electric plug in car and you probably couldn't tell without looking hard so

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 21, 2019

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

SoftNum posted:

CI!G is somewhat infamous now for "suitcasing" cons (as in attending but not paying for an official booth like normal devs/publishers); and so we make fun of them for it. Some con recently they were at they had to keep moving cause they would tweet "find us by X" every 15 minutes as security or whoever made 'em move.

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1164128209476210688
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1164181350989127681
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1164493909495558144
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1164541709805662208

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

They also like doing barcitizen meetups in the immediate proximity of conventions.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
https://mobile.twitter.com/hamillhimself/status/1186077390612512768

:lol::lol::lol:

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Luke Skywalker is over it

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Strangler 42 posted:

Luke Skywalker is over it

I like how the Squadron number has kept up with inflation.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

TheAgent posted:

hellion Star Citizen is dead

(I figured I'd bang this out for Sandi, save her the time when the inevitable comes...)

quote:

Star Citizen - end of development
Hello Commandos!

It's been a long time since the ideas of a future multiplayer space survival game were discussed among the founders of Roberts Space Industries and creators of Star Citizen. Our journey started with playing with JPEGs representing the planets, each carefully moved by grabby hands in a simulation of what would later become what we laughably called orbital mechanics in the game. From the very first moment, we wanted to make a complex and realistic simulation of a wankpod within a multiplayer sandbox environment. The goal was huge and ambitious and the course set.

With a full team, it took us less than [insert current number] years to make our vision into a reality. Star Citizen kickstarter was launched in Early Access in February 2013 We succeeded in releasing a broken tech demo that was almost impossible to be made, often having to cross and bend the boundaries of our game engine -Crytek LumberSomething The start was a little bumpy but soon enough players recognized that our JPEG sales effort was providing a unique experience that could not be found in any other game. The support of our players has confirmed that Star Citizen is truly special and we are very proud of it.

We are also proud of you – our marks whales. We couldn’t have even dreamed of creating such a dedicated and engaging community as ours is – both on Reddit and on Spectrum We are grateful for all the cash you gave us during these years.

Unfortunately, the cruel reality is – not enough marks were brought into our world of game development hell to make it commercially viable. After the sloppy start of pretty much everything, predominately in terms of bugs and issues, we made a mild attempt to fix the game and add new feature creep via numerous patches and updates. Star Citizen grew, got better, but is still far from the original idea of what Star Citizen was meant to be. Factions, additional ships, trade posts, all of this was simply put aside since our team was constantly selling new JPEGs, some of which were simply impossible to be solved for good.

That struggle is coming to an end. At this point, without an influx of new whales, the game doesn’t pay for its development.

Thanks for all the cash,
Cloud Imperium Games

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Dementropy posted:

Previously:

Why can't I hold all this integrity

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Please stop doing deep dives into redchris's posting history on /r/actuallyitsephebophilia or whatever. It is gross and he is a disgusting person and I don't like seeing it. Also, it's not related to Star Citizen at all. But mostly the part where I hate reading about how people trying not to sexualize children makes him want to sexualize them more.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

THANK you, I'm always put off by stalking someone's non-SC Reddit posts. Even moreso when some of them are years old.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

come to the washrooms next to the crunchyroll booth in the next 17 minutes if u want an rear end kicking

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I wonder who screwed up here.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

It's concept art, all the way down.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
I actually prefer Squadron 54, it's original at least.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

SoftNum posted:

I wonder who screwed up here.

I can't believe Spoony is still active.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

SoftNum posted:

CI!G is somewhat infamous now for "suitcasing" cons (as in attending but not paying for an official booth like normal devs/publishers); and so we make fun of them for it. Some con recently they were at they had to keep moving cause they would tweet "find us by X" every 15 minutes as security or whoever made 'em move

lmao thanks, that's hilarious

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

If a potential employer gave me a pin that they pulled out their pocket based on a spaceship I never heard of in a game that doesn’t exist, while they looked around nervously for the venue security, I’m sure that would really seal the deal for me.

Like sign me up bro, this Cloud Imperium poo poo seems lit!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

goons should get complimentary spaceship pins for keeping this stupid game relevant imo

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

goons should get complimentary spaceship pins for keeping this stupid game relevant imo

Being the boogieman is hard work. Not even Derek could handle the years of constant effort.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Who doxes the Dox-men?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Parallelwoody posted:

Who doxes the Dox-men?

Derek Smart. Where have you been?