Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Star Citizen is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

RattiRatto posted:

Where is MoMa

He's toast

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

Alright, now that we're on a new thread, can I finally find out where the hell this crazy story originated in the first place? :psyduck:

It's fanfiction a backer posted on the official star citizen forums many years ago

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Get your new fancy spaceship, PLEDGE NOW.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17204-Origin-890-Jump

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

It's even better in euros with VAT.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I said come in! posted:

These for example are not in the game yet and are 3+ years out from being made available according to the road map.

Nah, this one's finally ingame

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sarsapariller posted:

New space yacht commercial is live, they unironically stole from the Great Gatsby because of course they did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvKS70FDZV8

Chris Roberts on The Great Gatsby: "That was the novel about a bunch of rich people at great parties, right? Perfect for my yacht commercial."

they forgot the disclaimer that says 99% of it is not ingame

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GGgFlekr2s

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/d0ug2x/star_citizen_roadmap_update_20190906/

lol @ salvage getting moved to 4.0 from 3.8, rip any more gameplay this year

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/d0ughz/squadron_42_roadmap_update_20190906/

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Joint STIPULATION to Continue Trial and Related Dates from March 24, 2020 to June 16, 2020 filed by Defendants Cloud Imperium Games Corp., Roberts Space Industries Corp.(Goldman, Jeremy)
https://docdro.id/wFyO34L

Proposed Order
https://docdro.id/z8dM5PP

tl;dr: we need more time for discovery and code review because we did all these dumb motions and stuff.

quote:

15. Moreover, the remaining claims in this case require extensive computer code review that involves both non-expert and expert discovery. The completion of this code review is crucial to the parties’ abilities to bring any dispositive motions. Thus, good cause exists to adjust the current schedule to allow the parties to complete both non-expert and expert discovery prior to the dispositive motion cut-off date.

:ohdear:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

eonwe posted:

space court

:eonwe:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

I'm currently working as a research programmer at a university. Basically this means that when researchers need some software made for their projects, I help them make it, or just outright make it myself.

Recently I've been working on VR stuff as part of a project that studies player experiences in VR, and the various factors that negatively or positively affect it (basically what will come out of this will be a set of guidelines for what to do and what not to do if you want to make a fun, playable VR experience).

One of the very central "underline this poo poo three times so you don't forget" concepts is that you should be VERY careful about taking vision control away from the player. Don't do canned animations where the player's field of view is manipulated by the game and ignoring the player's actual head position, because that's a Autobahn speed shortcut to vomit city.

I bring this up in the Star Citizen thread because cultists insist that VR support is coming and it will just be a case of ... I dunno, refactoring the graphics pipeline full stack backend occlusion containers to V2.1, or whatever the gently caress, and then CIG can put "vr-support = 1" into the config files and away we go.

It's hilarious to think how miserable playing Star Citizen in VR would be. You need fast, steady framerates (90+ minimum, for two independent displays basically), you need to consider FoV and design your entire UI around VR. Even if CIG somehow did that, crobbert's genius "drunken sailor headbob, first person motion captured cinematic loving looks around my plane's cockpit before I take off" is just fundamentally incompatible with how VR games work.

Clearly you, and the people you're working with, do not understand VR development

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

It's something you'd never think of, but in hindsight it's also so very Star Citizen.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Virtual Captain posted:

Hey guys, Chris Roberts here. Thanks for liking my game.

You guys come across any bugs that need fixing? Just arrived at my desk.

hi chris, my box keeps falling through the floor of my ship

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Hav posted:

Space bike?

https://imgur.com/0zShdnj

Lordy, i hope it’s not the cosplay - https://youtu.be/BWLVI_mnn2I

Let's hope not, that'd be silly

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Quavers posted:

:siren: New Space Court document :toot:

It's behind a login/paywall though :negative:

just the proposed order below it becoming an actual order, I'm guessing

so nothing interesting

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Ahahahaha their marketing is literally just photoshopping two fan images together.

They couldn't even take a screenshot of their own videogame :allears:

the gamestar article did that, not CIG

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

iospace posted:

How long till Chris demands ray tracing

two weeks

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Gamesguy posted:

So has there been any leaks from discovery yet?

Yes.

Star Citizen is, in fact, very good.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/d77zzy/star_citizen_roadmap_update_20190920/

https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/d78078/squadron_42_roadmap_update_20190920/

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

It's uhhh this place

Wait sorry no that's from a different game. It's this place:

Excited for Star Marine to get wallrunning

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

This thread has so much invented language that I don't understand it all. What's an "ortwin"?

a shark

edit: vampire shark

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Quavers posted:

:saddowns: Poor Toejam is having a meltdown :ohdear:

:negative:

poor tojal

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Can't wait for Fandred to do another 180 and shill for Star Citizen again

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

G0RF posted:

YOUTUBE: The Eradictor — Star Citizen: Sandi Gardiner’s importance to the project

TheEradictor and a guest who watched the first 10 minutes of the latest Sunk Cost Galaxy offer their informed rebuttal.

...aaaaand it’s a a 22 minute, full throated defense of nepotism. The host doesn’t seem to realize that the reason Chris and Sandi’s origin story is included is to demonstrate how ridden with contradictions and lies it is. Which begs questions about their credibility as leaders of “the most open and transparent company in gaming.”

It’s too bad they ignored the latter 50 minutes. It would’ve been interesting to hear whether TheEradicator was troubled even once by later points made.

REDDIT: “This video is literally hurt my feelings...”

This guy is a pullquote jukebox!

quote:

he use facts to spread his negative views on this great project, this is the worse kind of fake news

:thunk:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Paladinus posted:

A small question about the game. Does it require a mouse?

no, only a creditcard

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

CrazyLoon posted:

Is this year's CitCon gonna coincide with Brexit (as in happening right at the same time it finally goes down)?

Because if so, lols will ensue.

Brexit happens the 31st of October, if it happens

Citizencon is like 23 November?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Paladinus posted:

Speaking of graphics, will I need a 3D accelerator card to play the game?

no, only a creditcard

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Quavers posted:

:lol: CIG have made intra-system travel now take 30 minutes :lol:

:trustme: You didn't expect to have fun, did you? :smuggo:

FUD.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/dhplm5/avoid_quantum_interdiction_by_exiting_your_seat/

PS:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Tsar Mikey posted:

My dream alien race is one that has the most complex doors in the universe but also has spaceships that use a stick as an ignition key. Is Star Citizen the game for me?

pledge now, commando

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Star Citizen is hitting Steam Early Access!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOtCDd3pyyM

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

commando in tophat posted:

Goons, I have a question about that parasite helmet: If you take it of, does the parasite goes of as well? If so, where is my immersion :colbert: .
Also, if you take it of, does the stupid face remain in the helmet? These are some important questions, no FUD!!!1

Yes

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

no_recall posted:

Anyone know what the latest news is on Pacer? tia.

nothing interesting

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Time_pants posted:

When is ShitCon this year? I look forward to it more than any other gaming event/conference/circle-jerk.

November 23

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

NoMas posted:

what does this mean

spending $15000 on star citizer

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Rookersh posted:

Actual barista here. 10 years, working in Seattle. So many loving thoughts on that goddamn tweet. So many I had to reactivate my loving account I'm so baffled by it.

First off, YOU SHOULD NEVER. EVER. CHANGE THE loving GRIND. You change the grind with temperature, not by "what kind of shot you want.". Consistency and quality are going to deviate depending on how much moisture is in the room, and what kind of temperature range you are in. "More like a Ristretto" and "more watery" are both loving absolute lies. You are saying switch from fine tasting coffee, to either a super acidic or super bitter cup which is nearly undrinkable. Even worse, it takes almost a straight minute of grinding to reset the grinders from where they were, so you are wasting tons of coffee here for no real reason. Sucks if you came behind "Ristretto" guy who just switched it to 20 and then pulled a normal cup, and you get his super fine pull he left for you.

You shouldn't be doing 1 or 2 shots off mug or cup. It's not size based! It's what you are grinding for. If you are grinding 20 grams you want 2 shots. If you are grinding 14/16 you want 1. If you want a single and it's set and dialed in for 20 grams, just pull a double and then DROP THE OTHER HALF OF THE SHOT. 20 grams pulled at 1 is going to be WAY DIFFERENT then 16 grams pulled at 1. Ahhhhhhhhhh. Also if you want a Ristretto, just pull a 20 gram shot for only 20 seconds or so, until the dark brown starts disappearing.

30 seconds or so? WHAT. Is this automatic or manual? If it's automatic, the average shot should be 27-29ish for a double, or less for a single. Are you pulling 30 second singles here? What the hell is going on.

Milk foam starts coalescing instantly. It's why baristas pull shot first, then start steaming, so the shot finishes as the milk finishes. That means you have the most glossy easy to pour milk and the foam works with here. Here you've left the milk to the side for a few minutes so it can all gather up on top and clump up, then you can pour only liquid through it.

Also like I've taught people milk theory, and it takes like a week of practice to stop completely blowing milk all over the room, getting nothing but foam, or scalding the milk. A happy go lucky printed guide.....isn't going to fix that. You've got literally two spots you can steam into, you need to have the tip just right, and you need to basically play a minigame to keep the tip in the right spots to get great milk. Anything else is watery, blownout, or scalded. I'm sure people are getting great coffee here. The whole point of steaming is to rip apart the proteins so they flood the milk with sugar. At this point you might as well just have them microwave their milk.

I have so many loving questions about this thing. Are they backflushing the machine? Beans are an organic material mixed with water, they can't just be sitting inside a machine or they'll start molding/rotting fast. You have to actually backflush the heads daily. Are they taking out the excess grinds at night? You can't just have a bag of beans sitting around overnight, because it attracts tons of bugs. Where is all the milk going? You can't just pour it down a drain, it'll clog the drain extremely quickly, milk grease is a thing. Are they purging the Steam wands with dairy puro every night? Even purged some milk will stick inside the wand, and it'll rot inside there if you don't clean it out.

Are they loving cleaning the grinders? Beans are covered in oil, they'll clog the grinders incredibly fast if people aren't cleaning them out.

I'm dying. Literally dying. I'm sure this isn't super unusual for most office jobs and nobody cleans this poo poo and it's all moldy rotten hellholes, but this, this I can challenge.

I don't think you understand coffee development

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Pixelate posted:

This was so good :allears:

Citizens are always saying they need a video to show to their friends. This should be it.

---

And talking of poop...

Show less

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

quote:

Derek Smart and Chris Roberts are friends. They are also both in the business of making videogames. Smart and Roberts also happen to be brothers. Derek Smart is one of the people who came to the attention of Star Citizen.

You know how in all the Star Wars movies there is a scene where a Jedi has to stop a Sith from killing the Emperor. You know the scene. You know all of the lines. If the Emperor is killed, the Jedi don't die. That is Derek Smart. He's not a Sith or anything. But he is the leader of CIG. And Star Citizen is his game.

quote:

Derek Smart was Right About The End Times

A new prophecy by Derek Smart

by Richard A. Stallman

Derek Smart's new book, End Times, has been a source of constant controversy. It claims that an apocalypse is coming, and that we will all die. I am not convinced of these claims, but I will discuss the book and its predictions anyway, to see if I can't find some truth in them. I think, however, that Smart's book is correct in its main predictions, and that it is a useful book for anyone concerned with the end of the world.

It says that the last days are going to be bad, and that many people will die in these days. It is also a warning of the coming of the Antichrist and the coming of the end of the world. The book also says that the world's last king will be the Antichrist, and that it will come to an end in a [...]

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Raskolnikov posted:

Backed in late 2013, bailed Oct 2015? Something like that. I just wanted fancy wing commander. :(

Star Citizen is good and better than a fancy wing commander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

best drat space sim ever