Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Do people mix up the Daniels/Vampiro angle and the Hade Vansen thing? I feel like I've heard the pitch for Daniels being somehow involved in an Undertaker program but with no actual citation a bunch of times.

Did Daniels ever even appear on WWF/E programming as himself (like, I know he was one of the Conquistadors in 2000, but that was under a mask, and standing in for E+C, so I'm not sure if it counts)? Any Jakked or Heat jobber matches notwithstanding.

At least Hade Vansen got one taped promo before he got canned*.

*and was he any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jeff Jarrett and Greg Gagne absolutely do not belong in any discussion about who the worst wrestleson ever was. Both were pushed well beyond their level of ability or ideal card placing, but were perfectly acceptable and cromulent wrestlers in their own right.

Del Rio and the Colons, when motivated, are fine.

If we're talking about their quality as human beings, I suppose Del Rio would be one of the worst.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

fatherofmustard posted:

Shane has had good matches like his Kurt Angle one.

The good matches that Vince and Shane have had are good/watchable in spite of them, not because of them.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Nystral posted:

Was One Man Gang ever outed as a Nazi?

It looks like the skull on his tights from the 80s (Pre-Akeem) has the Deaths Head Skull that the SS used.

A simple google search would solve this conundrum - the skull and crossbones on OMG's gear have a different design from the Totenkopf symbol. They're completely different.

Here's the Totenkopf symbol

Here's OMG's skull symbol

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

So is Barbarian. And Snuka was Fijian. But they always got booked with the Anoa'is so to some extent or another they get mixed up in there.

And all Tongans, Samoans and Fijians are all culturally (and in the case of Fijians, ethnically too) diverse.

Where I live, if you call a Samoan a Tongan, and vice versa, you're asking for an asskicking.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bartok posted:

Jeff Jarrett going over Monty Brown is the one that upset me at the time. I was all in on The Alpha Male being The Guy in TNA and eventually WWE. The guy could cut amazing promos and the Pounce is an amazing finisher.

I never watched any TNA, so my recollection is not just hazy, but also second-hand at best, but wasn't Brown being primed to be their THE GUY only for it to be stalled by losing to Jarrett?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Something that I started thinking about yesterday, but is there any particular reason why Scott Norton was IWGP Heavyweight Champion?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

On that note, could someone please tell me what I'm missing with Jay White?

I'm just not getting it, and I'd appreciate some pointers on what to look for in his matches.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Bret definitely gets the ten bell salute at the opening, they might even do a main event memorial thing with Michaels or Austin talking about him, presumably trotting Nattie out for a big featured match where she wins with the five moves. Probably over Charlotte.

Charlotte cuts a promo: Bret isn't in heaven, Nattie. He's down there. In hell.

Nattie and Charlotte have a match, Vince changes the booking at the last minute to Charlotte losing clean, tapping out to a sharpshooter.

Also, Charlotte is meant to be the babyface.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He teased it in ROH, he had a program with Punk I think?

IIRC, it was when R-Truth became NWA champion in the early days of the weekly PPV period. Truth cut a promo directed at him about how in wrestling, people of colour like him were rarely, if ever, given opportunities, and were told to be satisfied with a secondary or tertiary-at-best title, and that as a POC, Steamboat should know just how much harder he had to work to even be given a chance to challenge for the title. Steamboat, who was on-screen commissioner agreed with Truth, and gave him a title shot against Shamrock, which Truth won.

I think that was meant to be the start of Steamboat's heel turn, but he pretty much dipped out of TNA at that point. Because, you know, nothing says "heel turn" like acknowledging institutional inequality and making an effort to address it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Cameo posted:

This is correct; he worked a “I’m too good for this place” heel in DDT, and was a young arrogant invader heel for his NOAH match at Destiny in 2005. If he wrestles a guy in their hometown, he also works heel. His trilogy of Dome main events also had him working babyface in the first, tweener in the second (with a real heel post match where he taunted a crying Okada as Gedo helped him to the back), and heel in the third.

But he’s never actually had an elongated series of programs where he’s remained a heel through all of them.

Tanahashi’s a weird case.

The closest to a protracted period of being a heel for Tana only seems to be when he's on the odd excursion to Mexico.

I'm also pretty sure he was a heel back in the mid-2000s in NJPW, when he had the U-30 championship, a title only eligible to anyone under 30 years of age. This was around the time that Nakamura was the chosen future Ace of the company, but had no real personality to speak of, with the triangle choke as his finisher.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Nut Bunnies posted:

My favorite memory of WWF Attitude was the preview in Nintendo Power where they posted the flatttened head texture of The Rock to show how detailed it was.

I found it in a YouTube walkthrough of that very issue

The Rotis.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Mike Awesome, aka Hulk Hogan's cousin.

Something I've been wondering about - how well-known was it that Mike Awesome was related to Hogan?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Speaking of which, wasn't Nakamura disqualified for all his dick kicks while the white folks won main event championship matches at Wrestlemania with them?

Yes, because at the end of the day [Vince]a sneaky yellow shouldn't be allowed to hold the top title, and the unifanverse thinks they like him but they actually like what I tell them to like and if a ching chong holds the belt then that would just be aweful. We only barely tolerate "the black people" holding the top belt once in a blue moon, after all. They should be grateful that we even allow them to be on TV while leaning into ridiculous stereotypes.[/Vince]

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Eugene Angle

This would have been so much better than "Jason Jordan, Angle's son."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Roode is just a boring singles wrestler. He was a guy who seemed like he had a lot of potential in 2005, got a singles run and was boring, got put into a tag team people liked and then was boring in every singles run since.

There's nothing wrong with what he does, but he's best used as a platform for other, more interesting wrestlers to do interesting and entertaining things.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It was around November or December of 2011 on a random SmackDown. Daniel Bryan was in a match against Big Show, who was in a feud with Mark Henry near the end of his WHC run. He came out to do commentary for the match, Cole wouldn’t shut the gently caress up and he started blathering about a hypothetical match between Bryan and Hornswoggle, and asked Henry for his opinion on it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Red posted:

Whatever Ric Flair is going for when he gets slammed off the top.

IIRC, he finally hit whatever it was always meant to be on a random throw-away PPV or a random Raw in the mid-2000s, and it turned out to be a double axe-handle from the top turnbuckle.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I never really thought that Tony was as bad as everyone said he was in WCW (then again, it's hard not to look like the better commentator when you're up alongside Dusty, Zbyszko, Madden, etc.), but he seemed to be burned pretty badly by being passed up for Bischoff in getting promoted and it greatly affected his work. He and Brain occasionally had good chemistry, but a lot of time he was exactly what you DON'T want opposite Heenan, just sandbagging his jokes and not playing along with him, though to be fair Brain quickly stopped giving a poo poo himself because WCW had an extremely lousy work culture. Then there are the stories where he'd try to do politics and fail miserably... like the one where he was going around bad-mouthing Eddie Guerrero, but because everyone liked Eddie word quickly got back to him and Tony was roundly told off.

Tenay and Hudson were marginally better in that they knew the product and were reasonably enthusiastic about it, though I personally found Hudson insufferable whenever he would bicker with Madden. That, and the constant talk of SWERVES and other insider terms once Russo came back.

I was thinking about this post yesterday, and honestly, I think someone like Attitude Era Jim Ross as a middleman between Tony and Heenan probably would have worked really well. Tony and JR could, as co-commentators, discuss the history or context of the match, and JR could lead in playing off of Heenan. He absolutely would have had the skill and nous to play to both of their strengths.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

rujasu posted:

Two thoughts:

1. This sounds like what they tried to do with Tenay and others. It was awkward because Tenay was even worse at comedy than Tony, so Heenan had two guys he couldn't play off.

2. If you have Jim Ross and Bobby Heenan on commentary in the 90's, WTF do you even need Tony for?

1. JR in the Attitude Era was an excellent straight man to Lawler's jokey jokes, so for me, that JR with a pre-WCW Heenan is the commentary equivalent of The Rock VS HBK - a dream match that just wasn't.

2. It's predicated on there being a 3-person commentary team, and in this hypothetical scenario, JR would be the ideal person to lead it in a way that plays to the strengths of each person. Tony was always good at building on the context of the match, giving it a sense of occasion.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

JR and Brain did a couple of shows together before the latter left for WCW. I want to say WMIX was one of them

Was JR doing commentary on them though? I'd check, but gently caress giving WWE any of my money.

I also vaguely remember Brain appeared onscreen with the Horsemen in the WWF, and gently caress me, just think about what could have been.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

From what I understand, there was also an issue with Tony being made aware of angles and such ahead of time and not letting the other commentators know, so he'd have time to come up with better lines.

I imagine that would have had a lot to do with the dysfunctional and toxic nature of the company and everyone regularly featured trying to stand out at each other's expense.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

sk posted:

why does dexter lumis look like michael cole's face on heidenreich's body?

I hate you so much for making me picture Heidenreich/Michael Cole mpreg slashfic.

I hate me so much for typing that sentence.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I believe in my heart Perry Saturn could've been doing better things though

Perhaps, but then, he probably shouldn’t have taken liberties with Mike Bell like an unprofessional jackass.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Not that I'm defending it, but that seemed like Saturn completely lost his poo poo after Bell (somehow) dropped him on his head during a hiptoss

And then it being WWE, they had Bradshaw stiff the poo poo out of Saturn in a following match

In all fairness, he was unlikely to really get much to do anyway considering how hosed up on drugs he was. Either way, throwing the guy out of the ring onto his neck after stiffing him first is loving gross.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jarrett is someone who rates as "solid," rather than "outstanding" in his wrestleman parameters (like a 3~3.5 out 5) across the board, and being an upper-midcard gatekeeper is probably the highest placing on the card that works for him.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

ItohRespectArmy posted:

my favorite bob holly story is the time he sandbagged brock on a powerbomb so brock just shoot powerbombed him and broke his back.

Yeah, apparently this is a myth.

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Yeah I enjoyed listening to their book review, Holly's book was quite well received.

I have a question: Paul Heyman quit WWE in 2006 when Vince McMahon made changes to the December 2 Dismember PPV. Has Heyman ever said what his original plans were?

The main one I've heard revolves around the main event. Heyman basically could read the room with the ECW fanbase, and his plan was basically something along the lines of - start with Punk vs Big Show in the Elimination Chamber. Punk taps out Big Show in a couple of minutes, taking the defending champion out, and then outlasts the rest of the competitors (I'm assuming RVD would have had a bigger role to play, and Sabu, well, would have had a role to play). Big Show as apparently all for it, but then Vince basically I'M VINCE loving MCMAHON'd all over it, and we ended up with Punk going out first, Sabu getting taken out of the match for Test or Hardcore Holly, RVD doing gently caress all before getting eliminated by Test, and Big Show being the final boss of the match for Bobby Lashley to overcome.

The event sucked poo poo, as did the rest of the event, Heyman got blamed for it, and ECW basically became the red-headed step-child brand until it became a prototype for what NXT was before it became its own brand.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 23, 2020

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

When was the PPV where Holly got a random title shot against Brock? I remember that was when I thought it happened.

Royal Rumble 2004, where the entire build was "You broke my neck, Brock. I'm gonna kill you for that."

It had Brock running scared from Holly during the build, and then Brock beat him pretty quickly in a fairly underwhelming match.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vandar posted:

She had just gotten her lady parts pierced that day and asked Brock not to do that spot because she was sore, so he teased her about it all day and then finally did it.

Cornette was so pissed he threatened to pull a gun on Brock (which let's be honest, a bullet probably wouldn't be enough to stop Brock).

It’s probably one of the rare occasions where Cornette’s reaction is understandable.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I remember reading that Chavo and Regal (I think?) got a text from Benoit about the dogs in the pool area.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pretty sure The Great Khali used it once or twice.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Decades posted:

This kind of thing makes sense to me - these kinds of brief superhero style clashes tend to be mostly high spots anyway so I'd figure they'd be neatly laid out. The mind boggling thing is stuff like the G1. Not only do guys have like 10 twenty minute long matches with unique opponents over just a couple weeks, but they also tend to end up some of the best matches of the year. I'm pretty curious how much planning goes into those. Do they still fit in wwe-style rehearsal? Or does Ibushi just go up to Taichi one afternoon like "So I'm thinking tonight we just kick each other in the legs, cool?"

E: speaking/acting analogies are helpful

I'd love to sit in and observe a planning session between Suzuki and Yano going into a G1 match.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Big Bidness posted:

I remember Regal being proud of the fact that he and Psicosis were thrown into a match against each other with no warning and literally never spoke until they locked up in the ring on live tv.

I guess that explains why he and Finlay (whom he's had a bajillion matches with over the years) were able to put on a really solid, hidden gem of a match at GAB '06.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, the 2001 Rumble holds up due to excellent pacing, and clear sections of the match.

You start with the Hardys to get the crowd into it, some comedy stuff with Drew Carey, KANE!!!, the Honky Tonk Man who comes in, sings a song, gets decked and gets eliminated, the hardcore level, and so on, with occasional well-placed breaks and really well-done spots like Taker and Kane hanging out in the ring, and Scotty II Hotty making his entrance looking terrified as he heads to the ring.

The 2000 Rumble was a great show with a stand-out match in HHH v. Cactus Jack, but the actual Rumble match itself was a bit poo poo (and made even worse by Lawler being gross and racist about Taka's injury to the point where JR is clearly pissed with him).

And since the 2005 Rumble's been brought up, the Muhammad Hassan bit is disgusting and racist bullshit and can gently caress off.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

King’s commentary has aged about as badly as anything in the attitude era

There's a lot of bad poo poo during the Attitude Era, which honestly hasn't aged particularly well IMO, but honestly, I'd say the paedophile on commentary is the worst part of it. Other gross poo poo like Terri faking a pregnancy or the latent lgbt-bashing with Goldust in 98 and stuff is terrible as is, but at least it wasn't all over the loving show.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Red posted:

Really!

Without watching it, I think I can safely assume the match blew.

They had matches for like, 3 or 4 consecutive PPVs that year and they all sucked poo poo.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

X-Pac really is a guy that wasn't fully appreciated in his own time, I guess. It didn't help that there really wasn't any significant change in his character until he turned full-blown heel and he just never really recovered from that.

Going back and revisiting his work does show just how good he really was though. Wasn't he also basically the yardstick guy, like "if you can't have a good match with Waltman, you probably kind of suck."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lid posted:

Sin Cara

Chris Masters

Seven

Hirooki Goto

Kiss Demon.

Also, Goto's entrance is just right.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lid posted:

I did a google for wrestling twins and instead found a clickbait top 15 twins. My favourite is the Tate twins for this

With dreams of making a huge splash in the wrestling business, both Brandon and Brent seem to be in good hands wrestling for Ring of Honor and Global Force Wrestling.

Oooooooof.

They're now in OVW, apparently.

Also, it looks like OVW's basically a wrestling school, which also instructs trainees in peripheral stuff like production and admin, which I guess is actually a pretty good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

davidbix posted:

Al Snow, in spite of him being such a miserable person, also deserves some level of props for actually getting OVW full accreditation as a trade school, with the ability for students to get financial aid, etc.

It makes sense as well. OVW will, at best, be a talent farm for much bigger organisations (they were a development territory for both the WWE and TNA after all), that people pass through on their way up, so why not give those people a chance to train in backstage roles? If their in-ring days are cut short, they'll still have something that they can fall back on.