Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I think Colt Cabana did a podcast episode that was an ersatz Talkin Hogs and Poppin Dogs with Greg and Dustin, and Chuckie T gave a number of good-rear end wrestler names in there too.

the guy is like the absolute opposite of what we would consider "bad generic NXT names," its like he's a never-ending wellspring of NWA jobber names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Willninho posted:

Probably because I’ve been watching a lot of Jim Ross era promotions; who in current wrestling has the best non wrestling sports credentials (besides the obvious Brock)? Is there anyone who’s came above no name all big 12 lb level?

Jeff Cobb was an Olympian in wrestling.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I think Colt Cabana has been involved in a lot of the mocap for recent WWE 2k games, they were sponsoring his podcast during release month because of that the last few years.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Hotter Take: Big Show had the potential to be an all time great if he were smaller and could go all-out during matches.
There's only so much you can do with your body when you're that big.
I mean the dude tried (this vid didn't show the 20 seconds it took show to get to the top rope)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7RTE6rE_Bg

Oh yeah. And he always said it was so much harder for him to stay in shape and eat properly while on a road schedule, so WWE 2008-2015 was peaks and waves of Show comes back in amazing shape —> why the hell is this fat gently caress still a heel/face —> Show gets time off and gets in better shape.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

shiksa posted:

CMON BAYBAAAAAY

god jericho rules

It’s a classic touch.

Also I usually put the NJPW hierarchy from face to heel as follows:

Main Force (Tanahashi/Liger/Taguchi/etc) > CHAOS > LIJ > Bullet Club > Suzuki-gun

As mentioned LIJ were heel-adjacent for a long while (because Naito was sick of it all) but that caught wind as an anti-authority side of things. In Japan, LIJ are like if Stone Cold had a faction instead of just being a singles star — they tap into the same disaffection and dismissal of authority.

The ‘Main Force’ are still the pure white-meat baby faces and unaffiliated guys, whereas CHAOS lean towards cool faces but also can heel it up when need arises. Bullet Club are cowardly foreigners, Suzuki-gun are chaotic evil.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Forcing wrestlers still at their peak to retire so young is one of those attitudes I just fail to understand. Aja Kong is still active and cool for goodness sake!

Because certain aspects of Japanese culture (see: old men) think if women aren’t married and pregnant by 26 than they’re spinsters.

Considering how the women’s wrestlers were basically treated the way pop idols are, it’s no wonder the prevailing attitude was “retire at 26.”

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cavauro posted:

seth rollins in aew or njpw

Rollins in a workrate match in NJPW would depend entirely on who he's faced with but would likely be as poorly received as Cody's work there. just like polite applause, that's all.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Seeing Keith Lee (probably the best spectacle in the biz imo) on Smackdown made me think of something. If a powerful wizard gave you a single use time machine and said you could transport any one wrestler through time and space to do one segment and one long match with Keith Lee, who would you select?

1992 WCW Vader? <- my pick
idk like 1994 Misawa or something?
WARDLOW???

Misawa, Kobashi, Hashimoto would all be solid ideas

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MrBling posted:

Michael Cole was actually a good commentator on Brock Lesnar's Big Japanese Holiday Show but I suspect that was again a case of Vince not yelling in his ear and it being a glorified house show.

It’s almost unidentifiable as Cole commentary, it’s incredibly clear that Cole had to wake up that early to do the show from the East Coast but there was no way Vince was going to.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

[Edit] Double post

harperdc fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 5, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khdezq1z1Mc

Was this scripted? Or did Vince McMahon actually allow Daniel Bryan to come up with his own promo? I ask because as we all know, Vince hates the term "professional wrestling".

if memory serves this promo also wasn't in the ring on TV or during a PPV, it was build-up to the PPV, and you can definitely tell "things Vince cares about" and "things Vince doesn't care about" by seeing where people go off-script or improvise the promos. It's the reason a lot of the YouTube series over the past decade or so were entertaining (even with guys like JBL and Cole it was passably fun) and why everything in the ring and on TV...isn't.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

nakamura is so cool he got the coolest WWE theme in decades and it's still less cool than his NJPW theme

it's true, we stan a king for a reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aTg6weUBqc&t=35s

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t really understand the hype behind Kenny Omega.

... most of my exposure to him is via AEW

Well, right, and IMO he hasn’t done much with his AEW run yet. Most of the “Kenny Omega the best bout machine” legacy is from 2015-18 in New Japan, including his G1 win in 2016 and title matches in 2017. If you can, go check out his G1 Climax Final match (both his win and, honestly, the 2017 final he lost against Naito) and the trilogy against Okada. Watch the pacing, watch for callbacks and how the earliest match is built upon in the following matches.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Deathlove posted:

Lucha Underground did a loving GREAT one.

https://youtu.be/allMq8QRaTo

Oh my God that was filmed three years ago, I'm dying

Killshot/Dante Fox in a Hell of War match for those looking for it elsewhere, and it was loving amazing. I need to go watch it again.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t another reason Liger had to slow down due to his brain tumor? And after he came back from that started working a bit more power-style?

Also I believe Minoru Suzuki is still the guy touring with NJPW who’s on nightly “stretch the young boys” duty pre-show, dude is just an animal even in his 50s.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I will point out that Naito was SO bland after the WK8 fiasco that I genuinely always forget that he was the guy AJ Styles wrestled at WK9, despite that being the first full NJPW show I saw. Like I know AJ wrestled SOMEone on that card but I will always go "who was it?" and then look it up and be surprised.

I'll always remember that Naito had lost his momentum as the white-meat Stardust Genius face partially because he injured his knee, it was when he came back that the shtick just fell completely flat. And in one of the few bad booking calls Gedo's had, they just kept rocket-pushing him despite the crowd wanting Tanahashi, Nakamura, or Okada over him at the top.

And at WK12 two years ago, after Naito won the G1 and was white hot, they did extra special entrance videos for Okada and Naito for the Main Event. Here's Naito's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XCA3bZWz0c

A lesser booker would have pulled the trigger on Naito that night with that entrance video. Going over the whole arc, the whole development. The crowd wanted it. But no, the money is in the chase.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Smoothness, selling, not being selfish as well, but also milking the right moments for tension during a match. His pacing and layout of a match is real good. Sometimes they go a bit over the top (kick outs and such) but that’s NJPW big match style for you.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Neodoomium posted:

Red Shoes v. Bullet Club is an ongoing storyline that has never failed to entertain me.

The Young Bucks selling Red Shoes’ Suck It, forever and ever

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

The NJPW/AEW alliance finally comes when Gedo, Jado, Jericho, Luther and Emi start an FMW revival stable to destroy both companies.

Run Kawasaki Stadium Todoroki will have to do, coward Tony :colbert:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lamuella posted:

It's a romanization of "獣神ライガー" (Beast God Liger), the name of an animated series. The transliteration is inexact.

And more importantly the phonetic Japanese for that is じゅうしん which combines the じ (ji) along with a small ゆ (yu). So the sound is joo, (rhymes with moo) but especially older Japanese write it in English with the y (Jyu). More standard currently is to drop the y (Ju).

Tl;dr Japanese is a nightmare and confusing

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Benne posted:

The stupid opinions thread has been talking about botches which had me thinking: What are your favorite examples of "good botches" that ended up elevating a match or storyline moment?

The best recent one I can think of was a G1 undercard tag from last year, where Okada whiffed SANADA by a mile with his dropkick but popped up and hit it a second time. They turned that into a cool little mini-story where SANADA had the dropkick scouted, which played into their next match when he kept dodging it.

Toshiaki Kawada unintentionally creating a death finisher because his arm was broken and he couldn't get Misawa up for a powerbomb?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzhnSjCAmhE

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Randaconda posted:

The Steiner screwdriver is still one of the more terrifying moves I've ever seen.

Go to 2:15

https://streamable.com/ol0zp

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, Cabana got cut loose from WWE and started doing a weekly podcast not too long after in 2009/10. It was the same time as comedians started all forming podcasts (either things like Mark Maron’s interview show or group things like Comedy Bang Bang or the Sklar Brothers’ show) and that was likely his big inspiration. His weekly hour-ish interviews put a lot of people onto the radar for me, because I was just starting to get back into wrestling and learning about more than just WWE.

T-shirt wise, Cabana started putting people in touch with One Hour Tees, which is a printing company based out of Chicago. Wrestling and T-shirts, a long history.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Aussies have a term for guys like Teddy Hart that seems to sum things up well: loose unit.

A bit less flattering than wildcard, while still getting across the point.

I’ve only seen the YouTube version of that interview but it was more than enough :stare:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Benne posted:

Here's a question for the more deep-dive historians on this forum: is there any documented history of Japanese pro wrestling before WWII?

The narrative I've always heard is that it got introduced to the country by Americans during the post-war occupation, then caught on and spun off into its own thing with Rikidozan and Co. leading the way, which seems to make sense. But I sometimes question the accuracy of that neat-and-tidy story since many countries have a history of worked wrestling dating back to the 19th Century. Was Japan really that late to the game?

Basic info has Rikidōzan debuting in 1951 and starting JWA (as an affiliate of the NWA) in 1953. I’ve studied a fair bit about the Meiji era (which is late 19th century) but haven’t seen anything about importation of pro wrestling — other sports were imported at the time (notably baseball) and seen as a positive for teamwork and militarism, and there’s history of American ball players visiting before WWII, but nothing for wrestling.

My theory: wrestling *in the US and Europe popped out of the carnivals and traveling fairs, which in Japan are still associated with Shinto even now and likely were less of a modernization focus. Sports could add into schools. As well, sumo was associated with those shrines.

Meanwhile, after WWII, you have Americans now in charge post-war, and an even greater influencer: television. While Japan was late to pro wrestling, it became a TV staple early on.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 9, 2020

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The other thing about this and Japan: They were that open about it in Japan. It wasn’t played for laughs and jokes, like some other characters (both inside and outside wrestling in Japan) have been; the environment isn’t nearly as open to it as the US or UK would be. It’s not actively hostile, it’s just still very closeted for mainstream culture. (I know there are groups and representation but that is my read on what’s seen on mainstream TV and news reporting).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

TriffTshngo posted:

god i didn't even mention the cucking

gently caress this company

after that (entirely accurate and incredibly thought out enormous list) this is just the *chef's kiss* on top of it all

I stopped giving WWE my money and time just before the Jinder reign started, and while I still have a cursory knowledge of what's going on, my god putting it all down like that is just further proof we're not going insane, Vince is just this loving bad.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Benne posted:

I think this is a good time to remind people that AEW's creative process is "we have a small group of producers/consultants who collaborate with the wrestlers and help them flesh out their ideas, maybe script their promos if they need help with it, but a lot of stuff you see on TV comes straight from the wrestlers because we encourage them to express themselves in their own unique ways to come off as unique stars."

Much like everything else in US wrestling, promo scripting is only a problem because WWE made it a problem.

And that’s why AEW is what I watch and financially support, and WWE is not.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

TTBF posted:

Kaze Ni Nare

:hai:

this is or "Cult of Personality"

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

:hai:

jesus WEP posted:

i suppose it's cheating to link this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBtGFaa0idY

haven't seen this one in a minute, it makes me so happy

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

How mainstream or popular is puro in Japan, compared to say American wrestling in the US? Has it faded from significance, or is it still going strong? I'm talking about general name recall and all, if the average Japanese person knows who Okada or Tanahashi are.

In the last few years it’s swung up again, and guys like Tanahashi, Nakamura, and Okada are showing up on variety and talk shows occasionally. It also seems like more of the hosts are just wrestling geeks and unafraid to make reference.

Put it this way: NJPW doesn’t have a TV show like RAW, but instead a TV slot that shows highlights once a week (if you’re a NJPW World subscriber it’s very unnecessary). That TV slot used to be prime time back in the day - 8 pm Friday night on one of the main broadcasters. In recent years, though, it was 3 am Friday evenings. This has changed back to Friday prime time this year based on the popularity and strength of the product.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thauros posted:

do you know what they've been doing for their weekly show lately since they stopped running shows due to the pandemic? are they going with random old highlights or is it even still airing?

So

Lamuella posted:

Looking on the TV Asahi site, it looks like it's highlights from classic matches. You can get a full list of what they've covered in previous weeks here: https://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/wrestling/backnumber/

and it still seems like they have their late-night time slot at the moment (based on the times listed there). which, that makes sense, and TV Asahi is an invested partner in NJPW, so "yeah let's just run old stuff and hold off on this move to Friday nights on BS Asahi at a better time slot for when we're ready" is likely what happened. I still trust it will happen, and it'll help boost the current product in the mainstream here as well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Don’t forget the infamous shoot F5

wait what, I haven't heard about this one.

also one of the best ref moments has to be the audible thrown after that one Royal Rumble where Batista and Cena drew and then Vince huffed out and blew both his quads.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

Hacksaw Jim Duggan won the very first Royal Rumble and is a WWE Hall of Famer, yet never won a title in WWE.

Yeah he won the US and TV titles once each in WCW but we don't talk about that.

somewhere in the afterlife, The Brain is still sideways laughing at Duggan.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

I think one trick WWE misses over and over is letting the babyface champ have friends, and get involved in team or stable issues. This gives them a breather from endless monster of the month stories. Like it would be cool if Mox and Darby and Janela had some weirdo friend group and then you could tell various little stories of them vs Inner Circle or Dark Order without going through the same motions of “Mox beats Stu on TV, Mox beats Uno on TV, Mox gets a beat down from the underlings on TV, CAN MOX OVERCOME THE EXALTED ONE, FIND OUT ON PAY PER VIEW”

another thing WWE misses out on is face vs. face (without the face challenger instantly turning heel out of nowhere just to be a credible opponent). "You've got that belt, I want that belt, you're my friend but we've gotta compete" is legit, and I feel like it's a good option to have for a longer-term face champ to alternate with faction battles and monsters of the month.

then again I'm a big proponent for how NJPW does 'levels of heel-ishness' and straightforward competition for the belts, so what do I know.

WWE also doesn't allow outside factors (like a face winning NJPW's G1 or New Japan Cup) to define things. You wouldn't have a face cash in Money in the Bank without immediately doing a "You People" promo.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Capn Combustible posted:

According to cage match data Adam Cole only wrestled a total of 11 matches in Japan for NJPW, and they were virtually all ROH crossover stuff or Bullet Club multiman tag stuff. The fact he was positioned as a heavyweight when he's clearly 5'8" probably wouldn't help matters.

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Td2CTuiVY

Capn Combustible posted:

I think War Machine did fine in Japan, but NJPW doesn't care about their tag team divisions so the crowds going to only get so invested in an act when they've wrestling the same 2 or 3 teams every show.

I think both Adam Cole and War Machine suffered a bit in Japan because they were mostly ROH guys and joined thanks to that deal. Cole wasn’t used nearly as much and never really got singles matches, but the one big complaint about the last few years in NJPW is both tag divisions are a major afterthought.

Another guy who had similar lack-of-overness was Cody. His matches there may have been high profile to overseas fans, but they were pee breaks in Japan. Cody would’ve been served by doing a G1 at that time, though it’s kinda moot now.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I Before E posted:

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR 
1. Frightmare (205) 1,451
2. Ricky Steamboat Jr. (89) 1,074
3. Brutus Magnus (94) 751
4. Ryota Hama (50) 694
5. Cody Deaner (23) 269
6. Strong Man Jon Anderson (14) 246
7. Rouge (6) 167
8. Bo Rotundo (6) 108
9. Jesse Neal 64
10. Chris Jones 49

Lmao

Oh god I’d forgotten about Strong Man. Jesus. And he was on the occasional NJPW card a few years after that :gonk:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nut Bunnies posted:

My favorite memory of WWF Attitude was the preview in Nintendo Power where they posted the flatttened head texture of The Rock to show how detailed it was.

I found it in a YouTube walkthrough of that very issue

I just remembered the EGM in-joke created character, Elephant Sak, from those games.

What a time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I completely forgot Beat Takeshi was involved in that, which makes it the Most Bubble Japan Thing possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Numero6 posted:

Yall forgot that Horace has a 5-stars match.

Is this similar or different to the way Johnny Ace has 5-star matches (mid-90s Japanese tag team work)?