Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Bad Wolf posted:

The Megapowers.

Followed by Macho King vs Ultimate Warrior

Followed by Macho Man vs Jake the Snake (though that one didn't have a satisfying blowoff, as it was Taker who kayfabe ended Jake's run)

Macho had some great feuds, is what I'm saying.

Macho supposedly wanted to do a 'passing of the torch' type feud with Shawn Michaels to put him over when he was on his way out.

I hate that it never got to happen because that could have been an incredible feud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

TNA still existing makes me realize that the WWE is never going anywhere.

If TNA can still somehow hang on after everything it's been through, then the WWE, no matter how bad it gets, will be with us forever.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The best WWE games were whichever ones had GM mode. SvR 2006/2007/2008?

GM mode was the fuckin' best and I wish they'd bring it back.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Lamuella posted:

Genuinely I can't ever remember hearing an Imagine Dragons song.

I have probably heard several of their songs, but I have never associated them with that name.

If you've watched a movie trailer in the past five or so years, you've heard their music.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The very first TNA PPV had The Johnsons defeating Psicosis and James Storm.

Honestly it's no surprise that things only got worse from there.

EDIT: Wasn't there a thread a couple years back where someone was watching all of TNA's weekly PPVs from the start?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Lamuella posted:

Has anyone in wrestling ever actually got over because of a gimmick about having an outside job?

(The Undertaker doesn't count)

Sgt. Slaughter?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

So I've got an interesting question that I've never seen talked about much.

What kind of mistakes did Vince McMahon make in the early days of the WWF? What kind of growing pains did the company have? From the way they spin the story, he took over from his dad and then went national and made all the money in the world, but surely he made some kind of notable errors or mistakes in those first several years?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Tell me about Rocky Johnson, folks. I realized this week that I really don't know much about him other than 'the Rock's dad'.

Was he actually a good wrestler? What are some key matches of his to check out?

Did he and the Rock still get along in his older years? Dwayne posts about his mom a fair bit on social media but I can't remember him ever posting much about his dad.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

What are some of the recent problems / issues with the WWE Performance Center? I hear a lot about how they force everyone to do drills and exercises that are bad for them or don't fit their style, but is there anything else besides them trying to hammer and mold everyone into the WWE style?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I would have been perfectly happy with the way Sting vs. HHH was handled if Sting had won.

It was never going to be a great match, and they kept hyping Sting up as THE LAST HOLDOUT FROM WCW, so sure. Turn it into a DX vs. NWO clusterfuck. Fine by me.

But nooo, they had to have HHH go over. :argh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'd say Taker/Yoko from Royal Rumble '94 where the entire heel roster comes out to lock Taker in the coffin and then watch as he lectures them from the tron before ascending to heaven is up there.

And then they had segments on Raw where Leslie Nielsen was looking in grocery stores and delis trying to find the Undertaker!

Which led us to the incredible FAKE UNDERTAKER story.

Man, wrestling is amazing. :allears:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

So I'm looking at some stats over on Cagematch, and uh...I've got a question.

What happened in the five years between 2006 and 2011 to cause Dave Meltzer not to hand out any five star matches in that period? Was wrestling worldwide in that big of a slump in that time?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Dusty was going back and forth with HHH and they had a stare down. Stephanie put her face between theirs on the hard camera to leech the heat and Dusty did a talk to the hand on her.

https://youtu.be/EpmPBMN-CJE

“You crossed a line old man!”

Stephanie really should have gotten out of the way and let them have their staredown, but y’know. GOTTA GET HEEEEEEAT.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Shane is also bad but he's not around as often.

Only because Fox told him to GTFO.

How many months did we have to put up with THE BEST IN THE WORLD SHAAAAAAAAAAANE MAC-MAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON taking up multiple segments a week? :argh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Hirez posted:

Why would he follow Hogan to WCW knowing it would be the same fate? Especially with how serious Macho Man took matches/coordinating them, was it all about the :10bux:?

Vince thought he was too old to wrestle anymore and tried to push him to commentary, which he hated. Can’t blame him for jumping ship there.

I’m not sure how true it is, but there was word at one point that Savage wanted to do a long term feud with Shawn Michaels that would have put Michaels over in the end and man. That could have been amazing to see, so of course Vince shot it down.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

So who would be the most famous/best wrestler never to win a title?

As far as women go, it still surprises me when I remember that Torrie Wilson never held the women's title.

She wasn't the best in the ring at all (as if that actually matters in the WWE), but she had a seven year long career with the 'E and she was always pushed hard and over as heck.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Del Rio’s most memorable moment (imo) was running over Santa Claus and that says a lot about his career to me.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Is there a reason why Lufisto has never been signed to a major promotion?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The rehabilitation of one Tony Schiavone and the rebirth of his passion for the business is one of AEW's best success stories.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't know what this is, and I need to know what this is.

Enzo wore a disguise to get into Survivor's Series '18, after he had been fired from the WWE. Partway into the PPV he shed the disguise, jumped up onto a chair, and tried to cut a promo.

Security dragged his sorry rear end out.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Modern WWE is the worst it's ever been because in the face of actual competition and more ways than ever to watch other wrestling companies, they're just doubling down on their shittiness and their bad decisions.

Modern WWE is the only time I've actively felt like the company hates me for watching.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I’ve said it before but the Rehabilitation of Tony Schiavone / Tony Getting His Smile Back might just be my favorite part of AEW.

He just seems to happy and excited to be back and be doing this and you can tell he’s found his long lost passion for the business again. It’s absolutely wonderful.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Here's a random question related to Brock: When's the last time Sable has been seen in public or made any appearances or has been heard from? She doesn't seem to have any active social media, and given how much she wanted to be a star back in the day it seems kind of odd that she would just vanish from the spotlight completely.

(Does she even live with Brock? I can't imagine anyone being content living out in the middle of nowhere with no phones or anything on the property.)

Germansimp posted:

Cornette probably paid him extra to do it anyway because it gets him off.

She had just gotten her lady parts pierced that day and asked Brock not to do that spot because she was sore, so he teased her about it all day and then finally did it.

Cornette was so pissed he threatened to pull a gun on Brock (which let's be honest, a bullet probably wouldn't be enough to stop Brock).

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Titus O'Neil won Father of the Year and just generally an amazing person all around so I figure he's a shoe-in for a spot, yeah?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I think as a sports fan I've seen it more toxic than anything I've ever seen as a wrestling fan. Like nothing reaches the level of the way some people care about Yankees/Red Sox or Dodgers/Giants or stuff like that. Its really psychotic. And there's always fans who just live and breath their team. Call the team "we" and "us" and really mean it. Jump down your throat if you criticize them or say something good about the other guy.

I don't think wrestling in the Monday Night Wars days generally got that bad but we weren't all connected like we are and it was kind of a flash in the pan culturally. You didn't have the years and generations of buildup sports have. I definitely agree that the internet and social media just polarizes everyone more and makes it so much easier for people to be anonymous assholes because they don't see other people online as actual people.

And the 20 years of dominance WWE has had probably contributes as well. You do have a generation of people who have known nothing but WWE and either they love it because it is their entire wrestling world or they hate it because they think its been a bane of better things. So that builds all these intense ideas and emotions and then the internet ramps all that up and connects us all so we all see the worst of the worst. And lets everyone get lost in their bubble and lose all perspective.

This is a good post.

Say what you will about wrestling fans, but at least (to my knowledge anyway) none of them have ever started a riot over their favorite wrestler losing.

EDIT: And after a quick google search, never mind. :v:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Excalibur, Tony and whomever else they've had with them. Not even close. Not even a little bit. I didn't realize wrestling commentary could actually be good until Dynamite.

Honestly it's this for me. Tony's sheer joy at seeing modern wrestling after almost two decades out of the business is infectious as gently caress, and Excalibur gives him someone good to play off of. JR is usually whatever, but he still has his moments where he adds to the table and it would be weaker overall without him.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The 'happy to be here' meme began with this tweet, IIRC:

https://twitter.com/KingRicochet/status/1237885877923098631?s=20

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

It's been a long time since I've seen any Attitude Era stuff, but wasn't part of X-Pac's problem that he was still coming out in the green-and-black DX stuff long after DX had gone their separate ways? Kind of like they were trying to say 'Hey you all loved DX! You should still love this guy too!'

Almost reminds me of a certain Samoan... :thunk:

oldpainless posted:

X-pac was a huge deal as a part of DX which was just as important a factor, if not more important, as Steve Austin in finally beating WCW in the Monday night wars

DX was no NWO, no matter how hard Vince and HHH's revisionist history tries to make it seem so. :colbert:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

Is there a big-name pro-wrestler that does/did a lot of JoJo memes?

How has no one mentioned DIO MADDIN yet?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Similarly the Saudi deal has been a major source of income and it literally doesn't matter what they put on so long as it's good propaganda. (Though bin Salman does seem to like the 90s stuff hence more Goldberg v Undertaker.)

The Saudi deal would be a major source of income if they were getting paid for it.

(They still haven't gotten paid, right?)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The Grey posted:

What happened to Jinder Mahal? I remember him being pushed to the moon, but wasn't watching WWE closely at the time and don't know how he ended.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

harperdc posted:

I want to believe that somebody in the GameSpot offices made a custom E-40 for that game, that’s amazing if true.

That had to have been Jeff Gerstmann, probably.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I still love that Vince's biggest interview, the source of most of our knowledge about the man's life, is an interview with Playboy. It's so utterly fitting.

NutShellBill posted:

I fully recommend checking out the Rock/Hurricane mini-feud from early 2003 on Youtube. Rock makes him a star over the course of 3 weeks. And Triple H undoes it in one. On a whim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zqRrfrcB8I

Entire feud in fifteen minutes. It definitely holds up well.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

SLUM KING posted:

Rock constantly insulted people and the crowds loved it and it made big money and it never hurt his opponents. Pretty sure all his long term feuds were with folks who ended up becoming main eventers. Like, Rikishi and Billy Gunnn not making it is not the dude's fault.

Twenty years later and I'm still mad they did that stupid I DID IT FOR DA ROCK bullshit with Rikishi and killed him dead. :argh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

When I was a kid I always liked wrestlers who had a post-match ritual, whether it was Jake Roberts covering someone with his snake, Ted Dibiase stuffing money in his opponents mouth or Brutus Beefcake cutting someone’s hair. Does anyone in wrestling currently do something like this?

Nyla Rosa has been draping this shirt over her opponents at the end of matches recently:

https://www.prowrestlingtees.com/wrestler-t-shirts/nyla-rose/nyla-rose-survivor.html

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

sliami posted:

u guys know any gay lady wrestlers

Sonya Deville.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He had a big hand in helping make DDP

"I think I want to take the Diamond Cutter tonight."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0tdDHSYJ7g

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

A very silly question:

Did they ever make copies/replicas of the Hulk Hogan fist helmet for sale to the general public?

I unironically love this stupid loving thing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Manwithastick posted:

Who was the last success story of the WWE? I don’t think they have completely built a ‘successful’ wrestler since the miz?

What's your criteria for successful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Kennel posted:

Who are the best 6+ft women in wrestling?

:thunk:

I'm googling every tall wrestling lady I can think of and every one of them that I thought might have made the list is under six feet.

Jessiac Havok (6'0") and Alpha Female / Jazzy Gabert (6'1") might qualify but I haven't seen enough of their matches to be able to say if they're good or not.