Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Kim Justice, while doing more game videos, has done some recent stuff on Misawa and Brock Lesnar's IWGP run that are quite good too

Sadly I think her recent wrestling vids have gotten copyright struck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Why did WWF go public? Was it related to XFL, were they raising capital for another reason, or was it just a late 90s "we're making money so let's make an IPO and make even more money!" kinda deal?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
So with most promos/interviews/etc. in WWE being pre-scripted, how much rehearsal time do the wrestlers have on average? Because some of the typical stiffness of them feels like "we barely had time to learn these lines", but also they probably are expected to stick to the exact wording as much as possible. And apart from maybe some of the "sets" I don't see a lot of places for prompters or whatever. And let's assume for the moment we're talking about an episode where Vince didn't rewrite everything fifteen minutes ahead of time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Smoking Crow posted:

Mexican wrestlers absolutely work 250 dates a year

And they seem to work consistently until sometime in their 70s.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Imagine Dragons is "why rock is basically dead" in band form, this incredibly flat sound with songs that exist to be used in commercials and movie trailers.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I’m still trying to figure out how to tolerate Aerosmith again after Armageddon.

The answer to this is "play Saints Row IV"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Who are some of the "loudest" sellers?

I can't say if he's the best but I always remember how vocal of a performer Lex Luger ws. I know it's him from his very distinct grunts of pain.

Basically the entire Divas division had this problem for a while (partly because the crowd would be dead for the Divas matches.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
TNA brought in Vince Russo as a creative voice early. (Because Jarrett likes Russo.) From the start it was very much picking up where late WCW left off, and also since it was Jarrett's show, he was a main event babyface despite him clearly not being suited for it.

Also they started with weekly cheap PPVs. The reasoning was that WWE basically had TV on lockdown, channels that didn't have wrestling weren't keen on picking it up, so this was their way of getting exposure. It didn't work from the start and they were losing a poo poo ton of money.

So far, AEW is taking the PPVs slow (four a year), they managed a deal with TNT which is apparently pretty good, and while Cody Rhodes is a high-tier babyface he also A) is much more suited for it and B) took himself out of the title hunt for the foreseeable future (this may get reversed eventually but it's a nice signal that it's not just gonna be about him.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The Hogan/Warrior Mania match may well be Warrior's best work, which isn't saying much, but it played to their strengths.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Eddie's mullet was pretty powerful.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure Earl Hebner is particularly lionized so much as he's just one of the few refs whose name we remember, and that's mostly Montreal. Just like Nick Patrick is mostly known for being the nWo heel ref.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Aubrey Edwards does have a consistent "character", she's more active and catches more of the heel's poo poo than most refs do, and isn't afraid to get in their face about it, and is often present in pull-aparts and such. It makes sense for her to be the "big match" ref because she's a lay-down-the-law type.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Dustin Rhodes has had such a weird late bloom. Like it was in the 2010s that he started buckling down and really improving in the ring.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC one of the things they ran into is that India's economy really wouldn't support the kind of ticket prices they wanted. With KSA it doesn't matter because it's a guaranteed $10 million (whenever the prince decides to actually pay), MBS will call in a bunch of richer Saudis to sit in the front rows and check their phones, and it's just for appearances anyway so if they've got empty seats who cares. Like half of the value of this is just showing off "look at our cool modern sports complex please give us the World Cup".

Like even leaving aside, for a moment, the ethical/moral arguments of taking money from a genocidal regime, one of the knock-on effects of the Saudi shows has been Vince has had less immediate reason to care about what the audience actually thinks of the programming. They're getting money no matter what. He can put on anything. It's gotta be almost the dream for him, he would love to just be able to cut out the audience completely.

And yeah that's not entirely working.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 9, 2020

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
David Arquette is another gimme.

Outside of that there’s Diesel. The win was out of nowhere at a house show (same poo poo they pulled with Bret Hart two years prior and it didn’t work then either), he was boring on the mic, not good in the ring, and it dragged on almost a year. Not a single good match the whole time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Why was the Summerslam 92 card overhauled so much. Watching old episodes of Superstars the feuds by May of 92 are: Bret/HBK, Undertaker/Berserker, Warrior/Papa Shango, Savage/Flair, Nails/Bossman, Tatanka/Martel, Repo Man/Bulldog, Beverley Brothers/Road Warriors.

None of these matches happened at Summerslam 92. I understand Bret/Bulldog for obvious reasons but was there a reason why everything else was changed?

Wasn’t this because of the steroid scandal? A lot of people suddenly left.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I mean the trial was in '94 but I recall some steroid issues resulting in a big talent exodus around '92. (Hence why the roster was so thin in subsequent years and also why Hogan got weirdly skinny.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

I don't remember Mr Perfect ever being face.

Did he do anything of not as a goodie?

"Retired" Ric Flair on Raw, had a match with Luger at Mania 9, that's... about it?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

Can’t remember who said it but Bret Hart only breathes through his mouth in the ring so his mouth is always open and now I can never not see it

The Jon Snow of wrestlers.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Did WWE go back on their thing of allowing users to watch every Royal Rumble, Wrestlemania, Summerslam and Survivor Series for free during quarantine? I suppose expecting WWE to be fun and helpful is expecting too much.

I always suspected it was just to hype Wrestlemania.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
They’re less than a year out from introducing Sleve McDichael.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The IC title question got me thinking, what was the origin of the European title and how did it come to be prominently featured in the late 90s?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

The American Dream posted:

As a hardcore tv watcher for the last 30 years from what I can tell Friday is a bad night for networks. You’re either trying to get families with corn ball sitcoms like TGIF in the 90s or old people dramas like cbs does. And every couple years someone will put on a sci fi or supernatural type show that gets replaced with date line after it gets cancelled in 6 weeks.

I’m not sure what fox is paying per episode of smackdown but it’s probably comparable to some celebrity hosted game show or talent show. Especially if they can use it to make people aware that they have sports on all weekend.

Wwe is actually going to be important when there’s no new programming this fall because no one was filming for several months. And the fact that fox sports can put on clip shows like they’re currently doing to fill time.

Friday and Saturday were both fine until advertisers and networks settled on The Demo as the one part of ratings they actually cared about. That was really the death of things like TGIF or family-oriented adventure shows like Dr. Quinn/Little House on the Prairie/etc.- before that it made sense to capture families who are usually staying in on weekends, but when singles with disposable income are your main target, no point trying to get anyone else.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Basing everything on the 18-40 Young male demo is a very bad thing for diverse TV and I suspect online streaming will chase it as well leading to streaming TV being very samey despite the initial promise of having different types of shows

It's a bit weirder with streaming because it's mostly not ad-driven, so instead of what demos sponsors value most it's more about how many subscriptions can you get. *So far* Netflix has kinda cast a broad net trying to program individual shows to capture slices of the market (but also cancelling things quickly because a brand new show is more likely to drive subscriptions than something going into its third year.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The 80s roster was weird. They had a lot of people who just couldn't work, but who were pushed because they had good personas (like the Junkyard Dog), some who were good workers but whose best days were clearly behind them, and some who were still really good and basically had to carry everyone else.

Like one of the major problems of the early PPVs- notably the Wrestling Classic and Mania 2- was that it was getting difficult for WWF to cover up the fact that so many of their guys just stunk. Like the product was designed to cover up their flaws as much as possible but there was only so much they could do.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Did Vince McMahon always micromanage commentary to the extent he does now, or is more of an emergent phenomenon? Like obviously when he WAS a commentator he had to try and control the conversation in a different way, but I'm thinking of teams like Heenan and Monsoon or King and JR.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I feel like there's gotta be that pressure for everyone, but Rollins goes above and beyond. Like there's a reason he's singled out as being super defensive whenever people are down on WWE.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Cena's career arc is an odd one. In 2011 he can't quite carry someone to a great main event (see Mania 27), but he can rise to the level of an opponent like Punk. I have trouble remembering just when he started to really go to the next level, perhaps around 2014. (The matches he had with Orton weren't great but that was because by that point he'd faced Randy Orton some 10,000 times.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I thought Miz only got concussed near the end, that was why they did the "countout" part of the finish (though Rock was obviously always supposed to interfere so it would've been badly booked anyway.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
To a certain extent Emma was like this in NXT? The main roster of course hosed it up but the original idea was "She's a goofy space cadet but also an amazing wrestler."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

anakha posted:

Didn't help that Vince was fixated on having a babyface champ and turned Nash after the backline Backlund match with no rhyme or reason.

Actually they sorta turn him at the Survivor Series PPV shortly before (all this happened in the space of a week), he just abruptly falls out with Shawn Michaels and I guess he's a hero now and he wins the belt and on the next RAW people are holding up "WWF Champion Diesel" signs though they would have no way of knowing about this unless they were following, like, Usenet

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It’s tricky to separate the gimmick from the wrestler.

I might say Ultimate Warrior. The sheer insanity of his presentation helped cover up many shortcomings.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
An authentic simulation of late WCW booking

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Hedgehog Pie posted:

It's sad that Owen had a really good 1994, and yet by Wrestlemania XI he's in a random (though not necessarily terrible) midcard tag team with a post-burial Yokozuna.

I consider Owen the MVP of 1994. Granted it was a mostly bad year but he played the HELL out of his spiteful little brother gimmick, as well as, you know, wrestling in one of the greatest matches in WWF history.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

rujasu posted:

Hogan and Warrior both fall under "Grade A gimmick, grade D worker, grade F human being"

Bill Goldberg might be the most noteworthy case of Grade A gimmick/charisma/presence, Grade F- actual in-ring ability. Sure, he had three impressive-looking moves, but was absolute garbage when asked to do anything beyond that.

Goldberg was still pretty green in his initial push, and his matches almost all being squashes didn't help him learn, but I think he rose above that eventually. And it's worth noting how he could make those squashes entertaining, like he wasn't selling much but his offense looked great whoever he was against.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Clown Ni Nare

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
TNA also did a big security infighting angle in the weekly PPV era

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
WWE likes to maintain plausible deniability with gimmicks like that. It's one thing to have a stable of ultra-nationalist patriots who keep going "We the People" and talking about Real Americans but if they start explicitly saying undeniably racist things that might make one of your sponsors unhappy.

It's all dog whistles and giving yourself some cover if people complain.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
A lot of managers used to be wrestlers which helps because they’ll still do bits where someone gets comeuppance by throwing them out of the ring or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

TL posted:

That said, his match with Bret at WrestleMania is pretty much the last worthwhile match he ever had, and his work by the time he got to WCW was abysmal.

By the time he's in WCW he's had his hip replaced so there was no chance of him being able to move properly.