Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I find myself wanting to know more about the history of the various major wrestling promotions and their predecessors. As told through like the major storylines and feuds and title reigns and important matches, good or bad and how viewers at the time thought about them. But the thing is I don't really have the kind of free time to watch decades of wrestling while new stuff is coming out too. Nor do I really have the time or patience to listen to 4 hour long podcasts about specific events. I'd love to be able to both of those things. But I'm hoping there might be a collection of sites or blogs or books that could get me where I want to be. Something a bit more detailed than a Wikipedia article.

Is there anything like this that y'all can recommend? I do intend to watch some stuff. Like I just watched Triple H and Cactus Jack No Way Out 2000. And I watched a Ricky Steamboat match a couple days ago. But I'd also like to just read a little bit here and there, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Has there ever been a reigning champion who would steal signature moves from opponents they defended against? Not using the moves against them but like "I beat Jericho last week, so I'm going to put my opponent in the Liontamer next defense."

Seems like it could be cool if done well. Or maybe this has been done a hundred times, what do I know.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I've had the good luck to largely avoid seeing Pheromones matches but I caught a bit of one in the DDT Goes Hollywood show and I gotta ask

Does that guy really put his cock and balls on people's faces? If not, does he have gimmicked cock and balls? If so, how are they gimmicked.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Shard posted:

I'm curious why this place became more fans of wrestling as opposed to WWE fan as opposed to say some of the reddit forums out there. This place has always felt like my favorite place because it falls in line with my own opinions about wrestling where as others I usually disagree with more because they like WWE more than I think WWE deserves.

Goons always pride themselves on rooting for the underdog and the obscure and having opinions contrary to the popular line. It's why I love it here. If AEW was filling arenas with 80k instead I think there'd be a bit more WWE fans here.

yea ok posted:

It's because we're all bullies who make fun of any WWE fans until they decide to stop posting here.

This is probably true too. Doesn't feel good to constantly get poo poo on online, at least not to most people.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

What's the best a Shining Wizard has ever looked? I feel like all the one's I've seen are a bit too obviously worked, hitting with the inside of the thigh. I guess it's kind of hard to safely knee someone in the face, but just wondering if y'all remember some good ones. Nothing looks quite like how I remember it from Tekken 3

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Well, poo poo, I felt very strongly that I remembered a crunchy PS1 jaguar headed dude stepping up on someone's knee to demolish their face.

And the two in that SANADA match were exactly why I asked in the first place believe it or not. Hiromu sells it well, but SANADA delivers it more like just a flying knee, no step up or anything. Oh well, that Mutoh one earlier was nice.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Hey I finally watched that Samoa Joe vs. Necro Butcher match and uh, what the gently caress? First of all it was crazy that commentary was Eddie Kingston and CM Punk and that the ref was Bryce Remsburg.

But what was crazier was Necro Butcher seemingly going out of his way to take moves right to the dome? Why'd he do that? How is he still alive? That poo poo was wild! Were they botches?

If I had to sum it up in just one question it'd be: What the gently caress?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Seeing a Tiger Driver '91 for the first time got me curious about the guy, Misawa, what's his deal. What's some good matches of his to check out? Why's he look so pissed all the time? Is it true that the move was a botch? Is that true for other hosed up looking moves like the Burning Hammer? It's a bummer how he died I was reading about it and it made me feel bad. NJPW World has a match from 2002 between him and Chono and a tag match from 2005 but that's it. Wrestle Universe just has a memorial show.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Thank you for all the earnest responses to my ignorant spray of questions. After doing more research on Misawa and the whole King's Road style I'm kind of glad it isn't the defacto wrestling style anymore. Mad respect to Misawa and the AJPW guys of yore, but if blade jobs and submissions mean fewer deaths in the ring I'd say that's a positive.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Yeah just pick something that seems fun and watch it. If there's a particular wrestler/promotion/tag-team/style you like people will fall over themselves to recommend more matches or talk about. It's a fun hobby and there's a poo poo ton of it all of the time let alone all the stuff from History

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

The Grey posted:

I'm just watching Forbidden Door now and the Tiger Driver 91 move scared the poo poo out of me.

What's the history of that move? Is that the way it's supposed to be taken?

The Tiger Driver is one of Mitsuhara Misawa's finishers. It's executed the same as the one Will did to Kenny, but the taker usually flips over putting their legs on Misawa's shoulders and taking a normal back bump as from a sit out powerbomb.

I'm not sure if it originated as a botch or not, but in the 91 the person taking it doesn't get flipped over and the wrestler performing the move drops to their knees instead of sitting out, driving their opponent's head and neck into the mat. It became a sort of more brutal version of the Tiger Driver.

The King's Road style in AJPW at the time led to all sorts of brutal finishers that saw people taking vicious head and neck bumps.

As far as I can tell, the one in the Omega Ospreay match was done about as safe as you can do it while still being identifiable as the Tiger Driver 91.

AEW announcer Excalibur did a version of the move called Tiger Driver 98, which worked the same way, but Excalibur would sit out with his legs closer together so as not to just drive his opponent's head onto the mat unprotected.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

It's probably happened several times so idk if this is the one you mean. There was a GCW match last year where Hoodfoot and SLADE jousted with broken light tubes and Hoodfoot caught two really bad gashes to his arm and had to be rushed to the hospital.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

The Taxman posted:

Are you sure about that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND2Q9C0weyo

Pretty sure there are some deaths here

I guess he would usually do it safer.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Kenny has the power of god and anime behind his One Winged Angels that's why it's such a killer when he does it

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Bonk posted:

The jumping kick? In Defy it's called the House Call, because Defy is where the whole Swerve's House thing came from. I haven't heard them call it that in AEW though.

Now that you mentioned it I'm pretty sure I remember Excalibur calling it the House Call at some point. I've only ever watched Swerve in AEW so it'd have to be that

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

It doesn't look like Wrestle-Universe has much of an archive, which is kind of a bummer. I guess all the stuff from that era is up on YouTube and other non-official channels?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Having not seen any of their actual matches and only hearing about them in a modern context, I get the impression that Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock were successful largely due to their character work. Is that the case? Do any of their best matches equal any of their best segments? I know they're both talented wrestlers, but I feel like I never hear them talked about in connection to a certain match they had.

What were their best matches and how do they compare to other best matches from that time period?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

In my quest to catch up on important matches from wrestling that happened longer ago than this year I watched 1-2-3 Kid vs. Bret Hart and it left me wondering. Why don't guys rock the trunks over tights anymore. I see it occasionally with guys like The Outrunners (who do a deliberate throwback gimmick) and Super Sasadango Machine but it seems way less common than it used to.

E. Also, has anyone ever worn trunks over a singlet? That sounds cursed.

apophenium fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 7, 2023

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I think Kevin Kelly is basically fine at commentary, but stands out on AEW because he's significantly worse than every other commentator they have. His calling of the G1 this year was also noticeably bad, presumably because he's kind of checked out now that his time with New Japan is ending.

I keep thinking he'll get with the program because he genuinely was pretty good with NJPW since I've been watching circa 2018. And maybe he will. Not trying to psychoanalyze but he might have been off this week due to the news of his departure from New Japan. But he's been pretty bad on the Collision desk excepting one or two shows where he was merely fine.

Obviously he's lovely politically and that's not something to discount. The whole situation is kind of a bummer because there are better people if Kelly never gels, but we may be stuck with him since he's a Name in the industry.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Here's Emi Sakura doing a topé that would make Darby Allin blush

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1716470785148379243?s=20

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Do they have any upcoming shows? The first one didn't make a huge splash and I honestly haven't heard anything since. At least I don't remember hearing anything since

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

My wife got me the cool Bang Bang Gang shirt but said I shouldn't wear it in public

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I share an account w my mom so I can pay for her hospital bills with said account if she becomes incapacitated.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Like a Texas cloverleaf? Or like the opponents arms are getting figure-foured? I don't think the latter is possible without dislocating a shoulder and/or bending the elbow an unusual way

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Can someone tell me what Super Dragon's deal is/was and why every clip I see of him it looks like he's trying to internally decapitate to his opponent?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Sounds like I should watch some PWG

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Super Dragon my beloved

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

How do I get a body like Hartley Jackson?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Those options seem out of my reach 😔

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I never watched WWE and I never will. I knew about Mankind through osmosis and I thought he was cool. My dad thought wrestling was dumb and I didn't want to be dumb.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

What am I supposed to be taking from the whole Punk video thing? I don't know much about it or AEW but people act like it's a big deal but when I look at it it just kind of looks like a dumb fight and nothing really happens.

Take from it what you will. Apparently Tony Khan has wanted to air the footage for a while, though I'm not sure why. To prove Punk was lying about it? The people who believe Punk won't be convinced by anything. Airing it now was part of the angle between the Young Bucks and FTR, who have a tag title match at the upcoming pay-per-view. The Bucks aired it to show that they, as executives in AEW, were distracted by the goings on and that's why they lost to FTR back then.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Work the chinlock brother we need to slow it down.

You can kinda see it sometimes when they lock up, the wrestler "on top" will lean down and hide their face in their opponent's neck or shoulder or whatever and they're probably saying "I'm gonna throw you to the corner, let's do that reversal spot we worked out earlier" or "I'm gonna powerbomb the poo poo outta you, tuck your chin, player"

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Lmao "go up for the Beeboo Crawshanks, brother, it's a flat back bump"

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I'm gonna gut kick you and DDT you sucker and you BETTER not reverse the DDT into an armbar!!!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I'm trying to watch some old PWG stuff and Excalibur and Disco Machine are doing commentary and it is incredibly out of pocket. Was this pretty common for indy promotions in the early/mid 2000s? I'm hoping they'll chill out a bit as I keep watching. An unfortunate factor of the time I guess.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

It's pretty wild. It's worse than some of the Ventrilo servers I used to hang out on.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Suplex Liberace posted:

have i got a thread for you

What is it

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I'd wager it's merely for the alliteration. And Tuesday over Thursday for the hard T but maybe someone knows for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I think for guys like RUSH they actually do end up hitting harder than your usual worked strikes. That's why the matches between Fuminori Abe and Takuya Nomura are so good cause their best friends and show their love for each other by really laying in their strikes. Sometimes folks will take issue with people working too stiff and won't want to work with them.